University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
foundingfather

Silver

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Post by foundingfather » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:16 pm

Yazzzay wrote:
tjay89 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:How long did it take everyone's scholly mail to get to them? I live abroad and they said they sent it 10 days ago...literally can't wait, I need to start negotiating with others. Should I email and say I haven't received it or wait it out? I'm impatient.

Well Im still waiting to hear about my scholly too but i also live overseas and my admission package got to me on the 18th of Feb.. It was sent on the 7th....

Give an update when u get ur package plz!!!!
FINALLY got it today! $30'000 p/year. Not too bad at all, don't think I'm going to be able to ask them for anymore....
Congrats!

Ally Mcbeal

Bronze

Post by Ally Mcbeal » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Anybody going to the scholarship conference next week?

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:13 pm

foundingfather wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:
tjay89 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:How long did it take everyone's scholly mail to get to them? I live abroad and they said they sent it 10 days ago...literally can't wait, I need to start negotiating with others. Should I email and say I haven't received it or wait it out? I'm impatient.

Well Im still waiting to hear about my scholly too but i also live overseas and my admission package got to me on the 18th of Feb.. It was sent on the 7th....

Give an update when u get ur package plz!!!!
FINALLY got it today! $30'000 p/year. Not too bad at all, don't think I'm going to be able to ask them for anymore....
Congrats!
Thank you!

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Ally Mcbeal wrote:Anybody going to the scholarship conference next week?
Can you please elaborate? I received a scholarship but I don't believe I'm aware of this event

Ally Mcbeal

Bronze

Post by Ally Mcbeal » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 pm

foundingfather wrote:
Ally Mcbeal wrote:Anybody going to the scholarship conference next week?
Can you please elaborate? I received a scholarship but I don't believe I'm aware of this event
It's like an accepted students weekend for students who received special scholarships. So like Miami Scholars, etc. Someone please tell me you are going so I'm not alone lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:38 am

Got an email today that I received a scholarship. Couldn't wait, so I called the school and was transferred directly to the dean of admissions who told me I got 30k/year. If you haven't received your award yet, call!

tampadave

New

Post by tampadave » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:14 pm

Agentsoapbox wrote:Got an email today that I received a scholarship. Couldn't wait, so I called the school and was transferred directly to the dean of admissions who told me I got 30k/year. If you haven't received your award yet, call!
How long between your date of acceptance and the scholarship e-mail?

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:54 pm

tampadave wrote:
How long between your date of acceptance and the scholarship e-mail?
Well, I applied Feb 2nd. I got in via status checker Feb 17th. Got m packet perhaps Feb 21. And an email alerting me about Aid feb 28.

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Mine says "Application incomplete, pending review." and "Application pending review."

I have two status bars on log in..however it says all my information is there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AndiDail

New

Post by AndiDail » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:23 pm

Got a spontaneous letter upping my scholly by 10K. Pretty nice! :D

tjay89

New

Post by tjay89 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Finally got my scholly info 25k per yr...

Def Ray

New

Post by Def Ray » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:22 pm

AndiDail wrote:Got a spontaneous letter upping my scholly by 10K. Pretty nice! :D
What did you have before?

whm0829

New

Post by whm0829 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:37 pm

In today via status checker. How long after acceptance did people receive scholarship $?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tjay89

New

Post by tjay89 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:17 pm

whm0829 wrote:In today via status checker. How long after acceptance did people receive scholarship $?
They say 3-4 weeks after admission...when I called after waiting a month they emailed me my scholly letter dated Feb 21...I got in via status checker Feb 6.

I still havent gotten my scholly letter in the mail yet tho (im international)

Good Luck

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:02 pm

Anyone think Miami would negotiate higher with a similar offer (and lower COL) from Penn State and a higher offer from Seton Hall?

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:51 pm

I'm wondering if they'd negotiate those stips. I got the exact same offer from Temple which according to USNWR 2015 ranking is actually tied with UM now. But Temple's COA is lower and the stips are top 2/3 rather than UM's top half.

has anyone heard if UM negotiates?

amohiuddin

New

Post by amohiuddin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:08 pm

got waitlisted, depressing. Any words of encouragement or should i lose hope on this?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ss2014

New

Post by Ss2014 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:58 pm

amohiuddin wrote:got waitlisted, depressing. Any words of encouragement or should i lose hope on this?
what were your numbers and when did you apply?

Ss2014

New

Post by Ss2014 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:27 pm

155/3.07

chances at UM?

tampadave

New

Post by tampadave » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:28 am

Look at lawschoolnumbers.com and compare yourself to similarly situated applicants. It appears you are right on the fringe, though I saw a non-URM 153/3.22 taken off the wait list with a UM offer of admission. I would say you are still in the running. Many of the higher ranked applicants will ultimately reject UM for better schools. Hold tight and keep your fingers crossed.

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:17 pm

tampadave wrote:Look at lawschoolnumbers.com and compare yourself to similarly situated applicants. It appears you are right on the fringe, though I saw a non-URM 153/3.22 taken off the wait list with a UM offer of admission. I would say you are still in the running. Many of the higher ranked applicants will ultimately reject UM for better schools. Hold tight and keep your fingers crossed.
Though I'm guessing you'd have to pay sticker price... I couldn't imagine graduating with 250k in debt. It scares me. I'm worried about going to UM with 30k scholly a year as it is.

Maybe you should apply to FIU if you're local? It'd at least be cheaper and you could get at least SOME scholly. It just became Tier 2.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:00 pm

So who's going to ASW this thursday/friday?

Anyone know what to expect at the reception on thursday?

MisterGabriel

New

Post by MisterGabriel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:28 am

Got in Via status checker on 03-13…

Not scholarship offers as of yet, but I don't expect any generous offers.

My numbers: 159/3.1
I am a miami native and I want to practice law locally in south Florida. I was a bit hesitant to invoke responses from TLS, knowing the rhetoric that's thrown about on a daily basis, yet I still ask…

Is it worth considering UM at sticker over FIU at sticker?
I got into both, but I don't think i'll be receiving any scholarships.
Could it be possible to get UM at the negotiation table for a potential scholarship?

holysheed

New

Post by holysheed » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:31 am

MisterGabriel wrote:Got in Via status checker on 03-13…

I am a miami native and I want to practice law locally in south Florida. I was a bit hesitant to invoke responses from TLS, knowing the rhetoric that's thrown about on a daily basis, yet I still ask…

Could it be possible to get UM at the negotiation table for a potential scholarship?
I got into both as well. Numbers were 161/3.6. I chose FIU (full scholarship) over UM (23,0000/year) because to me UM sticker is too much debt when looking at the state of the job market in Miami. I'm a native as well, and see tons of potential in FIU. It was tough to choose FIU over UM, but in the end, I know I'll be happy with having zero debt.

A 159 should land you a Dean's scholarship to FIU, which covers about 75%. You should also get something from UM, but less than 50%. PM me if you got any questions.

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:20 am

MisterGabriel wrote:Got in Via status checker on 03-13…

I would most definitely consider FIU over UM at sticker... in fact I did.

I applied to FIU and UM (among other schools.) I expected to be in at UM, but didn't expect any money. Through some crazy alignment of starts UM gave me a very generous scholarship and FIU gave me almost nothing! So, in my case, UM is cheaper than FIU which put FIU out of the running. (haven't decided yet, but right now my choice is between UM and Temple, UGH! Can't decide!)

But I'm a big advocate for FIU law. I think it's a diamond in the rough. The whole school is, really. FIU Law has been steadily climbing. As more students who want to stay and work in the Miami market are choosing law schools, I'm sure FIU Law's low cost will make FIU more attractive to candidates over UM.

Not to mention that the big law numbers aren't as bad as you'd think. One of the partners of Greenberg Taurig here helped start FIU's law school and so obviously that firm has a vested interest in seeing the school grow. We just broke into tier 2 which means that from now on we'll have much much more name recognition.

FIU really offers a quality education at an amazing price in a superb location. The campus is beautiful and the people are lovely. If I were in your shoes of choosing FIU over UM at sticker, I'd choose FIU hands down.

Best of luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”