University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
raininthedesert

Bronze

Re: University of Miami c/o 2017 Applicants

Post by raininthedesert » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:53 pm

Let's also put this bullshit section stacking commentary to rest...

Miami Law attempts to distribute scholarship recipients equally across all sections. This is particularly true for their named and public interest scholars who almost never lose their monies. The problem is not section stacking but rather that to compete on tuition with UF and FSU, the school gives out a large number of smaller scholarships -- sometimes up to 50% of the class. These smaller dollars go to individuals with lower LSATs and GPAs. Some, not all, struggle academically in law school despite the added incentive to work harder. All sections are filled to the brim with scholarship recipients. The top half stipulation is across all sections. There are many students without scholarships who outperform the lower scholarship dollar recipients and are rewarded for their performance while those that don't make it lose some of their money. They get to appeal first and generally are given an additional semester to retain.

My niece spoke personally with someone in their administration and it is a completely reasonable system. Those with large scholarships should also be aware that they track and study the results and retention is over 95% for the $90,000 and above scholarships.

This really isn't difficult. If you are a lower dollar recipient and are on edge about retaining the dollars versus lower cost or better stips at a competitor institution then go there and stop stressing about it.

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm worried because I'm at about their 25% for GPA and well above their 75% for LSAT...

So, if GPA is any indicator, I will end up losing my scholarship. If LSAT is the indicator, then I will keep it easily. Who knows...

I'm feeling alright though.

I'm guessing a lot of students will party when they first get here. Hopefully that'll give me the edge.

yoda8301

New

Post by yoda8301 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:05 pm

hey everyone, I am currently on "hold" at UM and haven't heard anything yet. Anyone hear anything regarding movement? I'm sure it'll happen after the deposit deadline and before April 30th, but figured I'd see.

as975266

New

Post by as975266 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:58 am

Hi guys,
Miami just posted their ABA employment chart. And I haven't heard anything yoda8301, but good luck!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:06 am

as975266 wrote:Hi guys,
Miami just posted their ABA employment chart. And I haven't heard anything yoda8301, but good luck!
Where did you find that data? I don't see it on LST. Good to know it's finally available lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:08 am

Young Marino wrote:
Where did you find that data? I don't see it on LST. Good to know it's finally available lol
https://www.law.miami.edu/employmentdat ... y-2013.pdf

as975266

New

Post by as975266 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:11 am

http://www.law.miami.edu/career-develop ... a.php?op=4

They have the past few years up on that website. And I am certainly glad it is available as my deposit deadline is this coming Tuesday :shock:

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:21 am

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
Young Marino wrote:
https://www.law.miami.edu/employmentdat ... y-2013.pdf
Thanks for the link... As always, grads are mostly placed in the private sector but there is a solid amount of grads going into the public sector as well. What I love abou Miami is you are really rewarded for networking. UM alums are all about hiring UM grads and from palm beach county to dade county, it really is UM country for the legal field. I have my mind made up about working in the public sector so it looks like that option is definitely there.

yoda8301

New

Post by yoda8301 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:06 pm

thanks, it has been super stressful waiting this out since november, but hoping to get good news in the coming days/weeks, it is my top choice school and since i already live in miami i would hate to move

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MisterGabriel

New

Post by MisterGabriel » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:24 pm

Looking at 2012 & 2013's employment stats, it looks like full-time JD required positions are around the same at 60% of the class size. The major difference between the two years is really just the size of the class. We can expect the class sizes to lower more and more as law school applications have significantly dropped. Can we expect the numbers to improve because of the smaller class sizes? My thinking is, the smaller the class size, the more attention can be given to each students job prospects.

In 2012, UM grads placed in firms with more than 50+ attorneys was 9%. While in 2013, UM placed more than 12% in firms with more than 50+ attorneys.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:31 pm

MisterGabriel wrote:Looking at 2012 & 2013's employment stats, it looks like full-time JD required positions are around the same at 60% of the class size. The major difference between the two years is really just the size of the class. We can expect the class sizes to lower more and more as law school applications have significantly dropped. Can we expect the numbers to improve because of the smaller class sizes? My thinking is, the smaller the class size, the more attention can be given to each students job prospects.

In 2012, UM grads placed in firms with more than 50+ attorneys was 9%. While in 2013, UM placed more than 12% in firms with more than 50+ attorneys.
Some of that may also be because of the economic recovery. I hope by the time we gradute in 2017, the economy will at least be at pre-recession levels (wishful thinking, I know) but a bunch of attorneys in the area have told me it's definitely bouncing back

MisterGabriel

New

Post by MisterGabriel » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:10 pm

Young Marino wrote:
MisterGabriel wrote:Looking at 2012 & 2013's employment stats, it looks like full-time JD required positions are around the same at 60% of the class size. The major difference between the two years is really just the size of the class. We can expect the class sizes to lower more and more as law school applications have significantly dropped. Can we expect the numbers to improve because of the smaller class sizes? My thinking is, the smaller the class size, the more attention can be given to each students job prospects.

Some of that may also be because of the economic recovery. I hope by the time we gradute in 2017, the economy will at least be at pre-recession levels (wishful thinking, I know) but a bunch of attorneys in the area have told me it's definitely bouncing back
For everyone's sake, I hope you're right. :P

When I visited FSU for ASD, the career development employee's gave an interesting PowerPoint slide on Florida's legal job market trends. They mentioned how the baby boomers make up 50% of the active attorneys in Florida. :shock: If this statistic is true, we can expect a shortage of attorneys in the next 5-10 years, which would be great for us! Plus we could handle the estates of all these rich baby boomer attorneys! Elder Law is where its at!

Ally Mcbeal

Bronze

Post by Ally Mcbeal » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:22 pm

Just withdrew. Miami Scholars offer. 34k/yr scholly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MisterGabriel

New

Post by MisterGabriel » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:11 pm

Ally Mcbeal wrote:Just withdrew. Miami Scholars offer. 34k/yr scholly.
Nice, just sent my scholarship negotiations email... hope that $$ comes this way!

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:56 am

what are your stats MisterGabriel?

MisterGabriel

New

Post by MisterGabriel » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:03 am

Agentsoapbox wrote:what are your stats MisterGabriel?
3.06/159

I think it's kind of a long shot considering I've already been offered $20k/yr but I'm hoping to atleast negotiate my stip away.

I effed up way too many times in undergrad - I actually managed a 3.9 gpa my last 2 years to bring my GPA up. lol

I went to FIU as well, so you know how the grading system works there.

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:45 am

yea, I get you. I'm graduating from FIU too.
161/3.28 was enough to get me 30k at UM

I hear the cutoff for 30K is 160. I would try to retake and get an extra point or two and see if then they won't bump your aid.

However, if you want to negotiate I think you have to have another school to leverage against them. If they know that you only deposited with them and withdrew everywhere else, they'd have the upper hand. But if you have another option, they'd try to keep you from jumping ship so late in the cycle. If you plan on negotiating I'd deposit at 2 schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MisterGabriel

New

Post by MisterGabriel » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:51 am

Yeah, I have already deposited at FIU. I also have FSU to deposit - I guess I should do that asap.

I hope the investment pays off. :?

Agentsoapbox

Bronze

Post by Agentsoapbox » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:31 am

those are great choices. UM is getting antsy, feeling FIU nipping at their heels. And FSU is ranked higher, so both schools would be great to pitt against UM.

tampadave

New

Post by tampadave » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:00 pm

Miami just started doling out Dean's Merit Scholarships for $20,000 per year to applicants with a 157 LSAT at the end of last week. They called my daughter with the April 15th seat deposit only days away. She received the follow-up e-mail the next day. She will be going to "The U". Good luck to everyone and have a great weekend!

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:13 pm

tampadave wrote:Miami just started doling out Dean's Merit Scholarships for $20,000 per year to applicants with a 157 LSAT at the end of last week. They called my daughter with the April 15th seat deposit only days away. She received the follow-up e-mail the next day. She will be going to "The U". Good luck to everyone and have a great weekend!
Congrats to your daughter! It's all about the U

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:47 pm

foundingfather wrote:
tampadave wrote:Miami just started doling out Dean's Merit Scholarships for $20,000 per year to applicants with a 157 LSAT at the end of last week. They called my daughter with the April 15th seat deposit only days away. She received the follow-up e-mail the next day. She will be going to "The U". Good luck to everyone and have a great weekend!
Does "U" stand for under-employed?

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:04 pm

Nucky wrote:
foundingfather wrote:
U stands for "U mad bro?"

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:19 am

foundingfather wrote:
Nucky wrote:
foundingfather wrote:
U stands for "U mad bro?"
I really wish Nucky would get out of this thread. It doesn't sound like you're welcomed here bro.

foundingfather

Silver

Post by foundingfather » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:53 am

Young Marino wrote: I really wish Nucky would get out of this thread. It doesn't sound like you're welcomed here bro.
It doesn't seem like he's welcome in a lot of places, and that's truly sad. I don't see the point in logging on to a website for the sole purpose of being an incredulously rancid individual towards others. Check his other posts. I hope Nucky's internet persona is nothing like how he acts in real life.

If you can only do one thing this summer, Nucky, please read How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. This is the most sincere unsolicited advice I can give you, but you need it. Bashing everyone that doesn't share your exact same point of view is not the way to go about things. What you're doing is just plain old bigotry

With that being said, that's enough of that. I'm not trying to derail this thread into something useless

p.s. Nucky, UF has a higher underemployment score than UM (not that I care, really). Just goes to show you're either looking for attention or you're in it just to try bring people down down to your level of defensive, insecure spitefulness.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”