George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Nucky » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:25 am

Jesseye wrote:But then in the back of my head I say to myself "it's too early for WL, right?". It will probably just turn out to be a "thanks for applying!" letter and I'll be stuck back in the waiting game lol. who knows.


No telling. I haven't heard of many schools who waitlist via snail-mail. Only one I have heard of is U of Miami, but I could be mistaken.

Maybe if you poke around the GMU c/o 2016 Applicants Thread you'll be able to find out some more info.

Otherwise, try to keep yourself occupied during the wait! :lol:

Good luck!

goldgirl786
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby goldgirl786 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:38 am

I received WL via snail mail after my status said decision has been made...pretty sure what was posted earlier is dead on. Accepted via phone call, WL via snail mail, rejection via email.

User avatar
pech71
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:11 am

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby pech71 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:39 am

Nucky wrote:
Jesseye wrote:But then in the back of my head I say to myself "it's too early for WL, right?". It will probably just turn out to be a "thanks for applying!" letter and I'll be stuck back in the waiting game lol. who knows.


No telling. I haven't heard of many schools who waitlist via snail-mail. Only one I have heard of is U of Miami, but I could be mistaken.

Maybe if you poke around the GMU c/o 2016 Applicants Thread you'll be able to find out some more info.

Otherwise, try to keep yourself occupied during the wait! :lol:

Good luck!


I posted this on earlier page....for anyone new to the thread, I looked at last couple years and you will be accepted via a phone call, Denied via e-mail, and wait listed via snail mail.

User avatar
catsinboxes
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby catsinboxes » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:30 am

Hi! Checking in. My application was complete 12/20 and the status checker sat on that date till this morning. Now, there is no date just a message saying "a decision has been made, you should receive the decision shortly". Anybody else have this happen? Preferably prior to a phone call?

User avatar
chriskel
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby chriskel » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:43 am

catsinboxes wrote:Hi! Checking in. My application was complete 12/20 and the status checker sat on that date till this morning. Now, there is no date just a message saying "a decision has been made, you should receive the decision shortly". Anybody else have this happen? Preferably prior to a phone call?

I got in yesterday and that is what my status checker says. Hopefully good news is on the way!

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Nucky » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:49 am

catsinboxes wrote:Hi! Checking in. My application was complete 12/20 and the status checker sat on that date till this morning. Now, there is no date just a message saying "a decision has been made, you should receive the decision shortly". Anybody else have this happen? Preferably prior to a phone call?


That is how my acceptance went down. Keep your phone handy. Call was from a 703 area code.

Good luck!
Last edited by Nucky on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Nucky » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:50 am

pech71 wrote:
Nucky wrote:
Jesseye wrote:But then in the back of my head I say to myself "it's too early for WL, right?". It will probably just turn out to be a "thanks for applying!" letter and I'll be stuck back in the waiting game lol. who knows.


No telling. I haven't heard of many schools who waitlist via snail-mail. Only one I have heard of is U of Miami, but I could be mistaken.

Maybe if you poke around the GMU c/o 2016 Applicants Thread you'll be able to find out some more info.

Otherwise, try to keep yourself occupied during the wait! :lol:

Good luck!


I posted this on earlier page....for anyone new to the thread, I looked at last couple years and you will be accepted via a phone call, Denied via e-mail, and wait listed via snail mail.


Whoops, nvm...

User avatar
catsinboxes
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby catsinboxes » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:53 am

Nucky wrote:
catsinboxes wrote:Hi! Checking in. My application was complete 12/20 and the status checker sat on that date till this morning. Now, there is no date just a message saying "a decision has been made, you should receive the decision shortly". Anybody else have this happen? Preferably prior to a phone call?


That is how my acceptance went down. Keep your phone handy. Call was from a 703 area code.

Good luck!


Thanks! My phone is sitting in front of me. Unfortunatley a car dealership with a 703 area code calls me every day too....it's making me crazy.

Georgetownhopeful
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:52 am

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Georgetownhopeful » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 pm

First time poster. Just got the "in" phone call.

ltrego
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 am

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby ltrego » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:23 pm

Georgetownhopeful wrote:First time poster. Just got the "in" phone call.


Dates: Submitted? Complete?

Georgetownhopeful
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:52 am

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Georgetownhopeful » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:28 pm

ltrego wrote:
Georgetownhopeful wrote:First time poster. Just got the "in" phone call.


Dates: Submitted? Complete?



Submitted 12/10. Complete 12/13. Called today.

User avatar
catsinboxes
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby catsinboxes » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:45 pm

welp, no phone call (or email) today. Looks like WL it is :?

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Nucky » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:26 pm

catsinboxes wrote:welp, no phone call (or email) today. Looks like WL it is :?


I am sorry to hear that. Keep your head up though. Still a chance they call tomorrow, and if you are put on the WL, there is always a chance you get off!

ltrego
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 am

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby ltrego » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:24 pm

In via phone today as well. Complete 12/4.

User avatar
chriskel
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby chriskel » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:12 pm

Quick turn around to get acceptance letter + scholarship info, post marked same day as call. Keep your eyes peeled, friends!

ltrego
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 am

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby ltrego » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:48 am

Does anyone know if GMU offers travel stipends for ASD? I didn't see any mention either way on the admitted students site.

User avatar
catsinboxes
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby catsinboxes » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:35 am

In!!! I got an email this morning with a username and password to the admitted students intranet, so I called to see what was going on. They said I was admitted, but when they tried to call yesterday the call would not connect. :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Nucky » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:12 pm

catsinboxes wrote:In!!! I got an email this morning with a username and password to the admitted students intranet, so I called to see what was going on. They said I was admitted, but when they tried to call yesterday the call would not connect. :lol: :lol: :lol:


That's great news! I know you really wanted in. Congrats!!! Maybe I'll see you in August.

User avatar
catsinboxes
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby catsinboxes » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Nucky wrote:
catsinboxes wrote:In!!! I got an email this morning with a username and password to the admitted students intranet, so I called to see what was going on. They said I was admitted, but when they tried to call yesterday the call would not connect. :lol: :lol: :lol:


That's great news! I know you really wanted in. Congrats!!! Maybe I'll see you in August.


Thanks! And maybe so! Still waiting on two other schools, but they are both reaches. Mason's looking pretty good right now.

User avatar
chriskel
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby chriskel » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:18 pm

catsinboxes wrote:In!!! I got an email this morning with a username and password to the admitted students intranet, so I called to see what was going on. They said I was admitted, but when they tried to call yesterday the call would not connect. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulations!!! I wonder why your call would not connect, but I'm glad to hear that good news came your way :) March visits anyone?

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Nucky » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:29 pm

chriskel wrote:
catsinboxes wrote:In!!! I got an email this morning with a username and password to the admitted students intranet, so I called to see what was going on. They said I was admitted, but when they tried to call yesterday the call would not connect. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulations!!! I wonder why your call would not connect, but I'm glad to hear that good news came your way :) March visits anyone?


I think so! I am a bit concerned about the COL there and want to investigate ahead of time. Anyone have any info on where most law students live in the area? I have a dog also. So that may be a problem.

User avatar
pech71
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:11 am

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby pech71 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:47 pm

Nucky wrote:
chriskel wrote:
catsinboxes wrote:In!!! I got an email this morning with a username and password to the admitted students intranet, so I called to see what was going on. They said I was admitted, but when they tried to call yesterday the call would not connect. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulations!!! I wonder why your call would not connect, but I'm glad to hear that good news came your way :) March visits anyone?


I think so! I am a bit concerned about the COL there and want to investigate ahead of time. Anyone have any info on where most law students live in the area? I have a dog also. So that may be a problem.


Depends on your price range and the amount of people you want to live with. Dog shouldn't matter besides a standard 300-500$ deposit when you move in.

The COL here is rough. If you can get into the price range of 1500$ a person (including utilities), you can easily find a nice 2 BR near the campus. My friend just got a 2BR for 2750$ in Arlington and it is pretty nice.

If you want to live alone, I would estimate 2000$ to 2400$ a month (including utilities). When I moved here and picked out my place that was about what everything cost a year ago. I haven't looked too much in the last year.

The farther you go west/south west, the cheaper the housing is. The new silver line may be convenient also to live further out west (herndon, sterling, reston etc.)

I would suggest calling admissions and asking to talk to a first year student who is on a budget and how they found a place to live. Personally, I was unable to find decent housing for under 2k for a 2BR (so about 1100$ per person with utilities).
Last edited by pech71 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
catsinboxes
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby catsinboxes » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:02 pm

I live in NE DC now, and I've lived in DC for the past few years, so i'm fairly familiar with the housing situation here and its basically the same as NoVA. The best thing to do would be find roomates and get in a group house situation. I know lots of people in DC and NoVa with rooms in group houses/apts in the 700-900 range. Craigslist is your friend. If anyone has and questions about specific neighborhoods etc. feel free to pm me.

User avatar
pech71
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:11 am

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby pech71 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:29 pm

catsinboxes wrote:I live in NE DC now, and I've lived in DC for the past few years, so i'm fairly familiar with the housing situation here and its basically the same as NoVA. The best thing to do would be find roomates and get in a group house situation. I know lots of people in DC and NoVa with rooms in group houses/apts in the 700-900 range. Craigslist is your friend. If anyone has and questions about specific neighborhoods etc. feel free to pm me.


I agree with this completely. If you can find 3-4 roommates and are ok with that living situation, the COL here can be under 1000$ easily. It all depends on what type of living arrangement you want and how long or what type of a commute you are ok with!

I would suggest looking into Reston or Herndon townhouses since the silver line metro is out there now. Should easily find a 3BR to split there for 2k-2.2k.

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Nucky » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:19 pm

pech71 wrote:
catsinboxes wrote:I live in NE DC now, and I've lived in DC for the past few years, so i'm fairly familiar with the housing situation here and its basically the same as NoVA. The best thing to do would be find roomates and get in a group house situation. I know lots of people in DC and NoVa with rooms in group houses/apts in the 700-900 range. Craigslist is your friend. If anyone has and questions about specific neighborhoods etc. feel free to pm me.


I agree with this completely. If you can find 3-4 roommates and are ok with that living situation, the COL here can be under 1000$ easily. It all depends on what type of living arrangement you want and how long or what type of a commute you are ok with!

I would suggest looking into Reston or Herndon townhouses since the silver line metro is out there now. Should easily find a 3BR to split there for 2k-2.2k.


Geez, that's quite expensive (the 2-2400/month post). Normally I wouldn't mind but paying that, plus tuition, all while not having a job is going to be a pain. We'd better aim for DC big law.

Personally, if I were to have roommates I would almost certainly want them to be people from GMU Law.

Lots to consider, I suppose. May just have to go to Cooley. :lol:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apricots, champagnepapi, Google Adsense [Bot], hammy393, root_beer and 18 guests