George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
iza3nee

New

Re: George Mason Law 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Post by iza3nee » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:08 am

ArcticDeckie wrote:
iza3nee wrote:Package came in the mail today and inside had the scholarship I was awarded
Scholarship info already?

Yeh I was shocked too. There were two letter; the standard admission letter with login to the portal and then the scholarship letter.

mx23250

Silver

Post by mx23250 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:20 pm

Accepted via phone call!!

badnewsbears

New

Post by badnewsbears » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:21 pm

Fishtopher wrote:
badnewsbears wrote:Good luck everybody! I just finished my first semester here, and remembered how often I was checking TLS a year ago. I also remember GMU not having a large presence so I'll try and help out if anybody has questions.

Keep in mind that I just started, so my opinion on job placement/outlook is extremely limited. That being said, just like everywhere else similarly ranked... it's not great. Also I don't know anything about scholarship information, other than some people have them and that some of those people have a top 50% stipulation. Questions about the experience itself though- fire away.
How are the facilities and the faculty? I did my undergrad in a split campus school and I really did not like that aspect of the school. It seemed all the events and activities I wanted to go to where at the main campus and the campus I attended felt almost like a separate school. GMU Law campus doesn't even have a shower which I dislike because I would not be able to go for a run or work out between classes to clear my head. Thank you for any feedback.
The faculty is extremely caring. They go out of their way to answer any question you have, and also don't mind joking around. professor krauss, a 1L torts prof is likely the best professor I've ever had in my academic career. A mix of hard on students, but undeniably caring.

Split campus works fine for me. It is undeniably a separate school feel, but that just means it loses it's undergrad feel. Ya, there's no gym, but there's a YMCA right behind the school that costs 2$ per visit for gmu students. Also there are lots of events with free drinks, which would be harder to do at an undergrad campus. Also things like puppy/kitten day and masseuses in the atrium to help students during finals, are perks that you wouldn't get otherwise. We are also on a different snowday schedule, and things aren't open 24/7 but we are treated like adults/professionals. For instance, the library closes at 11, and at some point the outer doors lock as well, but if you're already inside, you can study in the atrium or an empty classroom. I'm not sure if undergrads would be trusted in such a way.

I apologize for the stream on consciousness type post, but I'm in between semesters and enjoying not having to think all the time :)

Fishtopher

New

Post by Fishtopher » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:49 pm

badnewsbears wrote:
Fishtopher wrote:
badnewsbears wrote:Good luck everybody! I just finished my first semester here, and remembered how often I was checking TLS a year ago. I also remember GMU not having a large presence so I'll try and help out if anybody has questions.

Keep in mind that I just started, so my opinion on job placement/outlook is extremely limited. That being said, just like everywhere else similarly ranked... it's not great. Also I don't know anything about scholarship information, other than some people have them and that some of those people have a top 50% stipulation. Questions about the experience itself though- fire away.
How are the facilities and the faculty? I did my undergrad in a split campus school and I really did not like that aspect of the school. It seemed all the events and activities I wanted to go to where at the main campus and the campus I attended felt almost like a separate school. GMU Law campus doesn't even have a shower which I dislike because I would not be able to go for a run or work out between classes to clear my head. Thank you for any feedback.
The faculty is extremely caring. They go out of their way to answer any question you have, and also don't mind joking around. professor krauss, a 1L torts prof is likely the best professor I've ever had in my academic career. A mix of hard on students, but undeniably caring.

Split campus works fine for me. It is undeniably a separate school feel, but that just means it loses it's undergrad feel. Ya, there's no gym, but there's a YMCA right behind the school that costs 2$ per visit for gmu students. Also there are lots of events with free drinks, which would be harder to do at an undergrad campus. Also things like puppy/kitten day and masseuses in the atrium to help students during finals, are perks that you wouldn't get otherwise. We are also on a different snowday schedule, and things aren't open 24/7 but we are treated like adults/professionals. For instance, the library closes at 11, and at some point the outer doors lock as well, but if you're already inside, you can study in the atrium or an empty classroom. I'm not sure if undergrads would be trusted in such a way.

I apologize for the stream on consciousness type post, but I'm in between semesters and enjoying not having to think all the time :)

Thanks for the feedback. I am very excited about the prospects of attending GMU.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:54 pm

badnewsbears wrote:
Fishtopher wrote:

You had me at masseus :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:36 pm

I plan on submitting an application for the part-time program after I sit for the Feb LSAT.

nmic

New

Post by nmic » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:39 pm

Checking in.
I submitted my app on 01/02 and still nothing from them, no acknowledgement email or anything. Is this normal or should I panic? Thanks and good luck!

iza3nee

New

Post by iza3nee » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:11 pm

nmic wrote:Checking in.
I submitted my app on 01/02 and still nothing from them, no acknowledgement email or anything. Is this normal or should I panic? Thanks and good luck!
No you're fine, they took a little while to send me the acknowledgment email too. I applied on 11/15 didn't hear back till 11/25.

nmic

New

Post by nmic » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:06 pm

iza3nee wrote:
No you're fine, they took a little while to send me the acknowledgment email too. I applied on 11/15 didn't hear back till 11/25.
Oh, thank you, I feel better now.
Is anyone applying for the in-state tuition? Does it matter when you send this application or not, as long as it's before classes begin?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:05 pm

For those who received their decision via mail, was it a waitlist or ding?

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:29 pm

Definitely PANIC! :lol:

goldgirl786

Bronze

Post by goldgirl786 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:56 pm

The people who have been accepted so far...were all these acceptances via phone calls? Has anyone gotten a decision any other way?

pech71

New

Post by pech71 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:04 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:For those who received their decision via mail, was it a waitlist or ding?
I applied ED and I received mine via snail mail and it was the "we are rolling over your application into the regular batch of Applicants" which means that I was not denied and I was not wait listed but am still being considered.

I have decided to retake the LSAT in February because the letter specifically said "if you have a new LSAT score by middle of March, please let us know immediately" and was hand signed.

Hopefully this time I don't miss bubble a whole section of the LSAT :( .

Side note, for anyone new to the thread, I looked at last couple years and you will be accepted via a phone call, Denied via e-mail, and wait listed via snail mail.

I hope that alleviates anyone's questions about process.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amc10

New

Post by amc10 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:21 am

I was accepted 12/20 via phone call and applied mid november. I received the packet with a scholarship on 12/27. Wish all of you the best of luck! Can't wait to be there in the fall!

Jesseye

New

Post by Jesseye » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:59 pm

My status checker does not have a decision or decision date section....am I alone on that? It also says I have a mailing sent out 12/13...but I do not recall getting anything!?

nmic

New

Post by nmic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:14 pm

Jesseye wrote:My status checker does not have a decision or decision date section....am I alone on that? It also says I have a mailing sent out 12/13...but I do not recall getting anything!?
I have Decision status and Decision status date in the Status section on the right. And I've had them since the beginning. Contact them if you don't, maybe there's something wrong.

chriskel

New

Post by chriskel » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:51 am

In via phone call this AM. Status checker is still sitting at Decision Status Date: 12/9 though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:49 pm

In via phone call! Says scholly info in mail, no mention of what numbers were. Status checker only says 'Decision Reached'.

Pretty pumped to have a VA/DC option, as I love that area.

Good luck to those of you still waiting!

chriskel

New

Post by chriskel » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:33 pm

Nucky wrote:In via phone call! Says scholly info in mail, no mention of what numbers were. Status checker only says 'Decision Reached'.

Congrats Nucky! I was at work and couldn't talk to them for long, did you get any info on ASW dates?

Jesseye

New

Post by Jesseye » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Called to make sure everything with my app was okay since I had no decision status or decision date info on status checker. They told me they sent me something in the mail yesterday...pretty much accepting now that I've been waitlisted since the rest of you are getting calls. I'm 160/3.55 and it was my top choice, but knew I wouldn't be a shoe-in. Good luck to the rest of you! Can't wait to see where we all end up.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:39 pm

chriskel wrote:
Nucky wrote:In via phone call! Says scholly info in mail, no mention of what numbers were. Status checker only says 'Decision Reached'.

Congrats Nucky! I was at work and couldn't talk to them for long, did you get any info on ASW dates?
I didn't really get any info aside from them telling me I was accepted and that my admission materials and scholarship letter(no amount given) would be in the mail soon. Nothing on ASW.

The person I spoke to was very nice but seemed a bit rushed, perhaps in order to call other admits.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Jesseye wrote:Called to make sure everything with my app was okay since I had no decision status or decision date info on status checker. They told me they sent me something in the mail yesterday...pretty much accepting now that I've been waitlisted since the rest of you are getting calls. I'm 160/3.55 and it was my top choice, but knew I wouldn't be a shoe-in. Good luck to the rest of you! Can't wait to see where we all end up.
I wouldn't take it as a bad sign since my status checker does not say Admitted or anything like that. I have a message at the top that reads that a decision has been made, but as for the traditional 'Decision Rendered' update in the upper right box, it only says the term info to which I applied. No mention of a decision, or even being complete.

Hopefully that helps alleviate your concern if you're reflecting the same thing. I am sorry if I was unclear or misleading with my post above mentioning 'Decision Reached' or whatever I wrote. I was only referring to the message at the very top and not to a specific message within that upper right box.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:51 pm

Sorry for three posts in a row, but I wanted to see what you all thought of their employment numbers.

Lots of TLSers have been quick to point out that GMU's FT/JD required employment numbers only hover slightly above 55%, and while true, the JD Advantage numbers are over 30%, and I cannot help but think that this is largely due to self-selection, and I assume, people wanting to work in government while not necessarily becoming lawyers.

GMU's 'Unemployed - Seeking' number is only 3.64%, which is excellent. Typically, schools with a 50-60% FT/JD rating have a 25%+ 'Unemployed-Seeking' numbers, which is scary.

Some are employed by the school in part-time positions, but it doesn't seem to be enough to skew the numbers by much.

FWIW, TLS' GMU Profile lists the median starting private sector salary as $150k, albeit for the c/o 2008.

Data seems to be kind of all over the place. Would love to hear some of your thoughts?

Jesseye

New

Post by Jesseye » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 pm

Nucky wrote:
Jesseye wrote:Called to make sure everything with my app was okay since I had no decision status or decision date info on status checker. They told me they sent me something in the mail yesterday...pretty much accepting now that I've been waitlisted since the rest of you are getting calls. I'm 160/3.55 and it was my top choice, but knew I wouldn't be a shoe-in. Good luck to the rest of you! Can't wait to see where we all end up.
I wouldn't take it as a bad sign since my status checker does not say Admitted or anything like that. I have a message at the top that reads that a decision has been made, but as for the traditional 'Decision Rendered' update in the upper right box, it only says the term info to which I applied. No mention of a decision, or even being complete.

Hopefully that helps alleviate your concern if you're reflecting the same thing. I am sorry if I was unclear or misleading with my post above mentioning 'Decision Reached' or whatever I wrote. I was only referring to the message at the very top and not to a specific message within that upper right box.
Thanks for the input :) It's not so much that my decision status/date is blank but the fact she said they mailed me a letter that makes me think I'm waitlisted, since it seems in the past only WL got letters and accepted got phone calls. But who knows. Just preparing myself for that I guess.

Jesseye

New

Post by Jesseye » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:56 pm

But then in the back of my head I say to myself "it's too early for WL, right?". It will probably just turn out to be a "thanks for applying!" letter and I'll be stuck back in the waiting game lol. who knows.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”