University of Maryland c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Yazzzay

Re: University of Maryland c/o 2017 Applicants (2013/2014 cycle)

Postby Yazzzay » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:08 pm

hollybrianna wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:So finally got a scholarship and it is really disappointing. Really like Maryland but without good $$$ no...Boo.

Did they send via email or snail mail?

Email!

rodmanhust

Postby rodmanhust » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:02 am

not yet.

aerialstrong wrote:
rodmanhust wrote:just got into PT program;
need to work in DC during day; how is traffic commuting from DC downtown to Baltimore in the afternoon around 5pm? 1hr?
also, does UMaryland have any reputation in DC?

I got into the PT program as well. Have you heard anything regarding scholarship offers?

Mdet06

Postby Mdet06 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:26 pm

need to work in DC during day; how is traffic commuting from DC downtown to Baltimore in the afternoon around 5pm? 1hr?

It will definitely take more than an hour to go from downtown DC to downtown Baltimore...unless you speed like crazy lol. Plus parking and getting to class, cutting it way close.

Maryland definitely has rep in DC, seeing as they're close in vicinity.

Lawbunny83

Postby Lawbunny83 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:37 pm

In to PT program via email!

rodmanhust

Postby rodmanhust » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:15 pm

another thread said it takes over 1.5 hrs to get from DC to Baltimore, making it too much to handle.

must work in DC during day.
may have to pass on the school b/c of this, sigh...

Mdet06 wrote:

It will definitely take more than an hour to go from downtown DC to downtown Baltimore...unless you speed like crazy lol. Plus parking and getting to class, cutting it way close.

Lawbunny83

Postby Lawbunny83 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:24 pm

rodmanhust wrote:another thread said it takes over 1.5 hrs to get from DC to Baltimore, making it too much to handle.

Mdet06 wrote:

It takes about 45 mins to an hour on a good day. With traffic it could be a little longer. What time do you get off? Can your hours be flexible?

rodmanhust

Postby rodmanhust » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:49 pm

I'd likely be working in a law firm in downtown; probably gets off at 5pm; not flexible.

Lawbunny83 wrote:
rodmanhust wrote:another thread said it takes over 1.5 hrs to get from DC to Baltimore, making it too much to handle.

Mdet06 wrote:

It takes about 45 mins to an hour on a good day. With traffic it could be a little longer. What time do you get off? Can your hours be flexible?

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:50 pm

Just withdrew, hope that goes to someone waiting! GL all!

mmd90

Postby mmd90 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:53 am

I also live in DC and have been wondering about the commute. Can't you metro there? How long would that take? I live right by the Gallery Place (red/green/yellow line) stop.

CrystalLee

Postby CrystalLee » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:03 pm

If you can easily get to Union Station, the MARC train would be your best option. UB is right by Penn Station. UMD would get a little bit trickier, but still very doable via MARC. You'd just have to hop on two (free) buses after you get off the train (and now that I think of it, UMD has their own shuttle too, I just don't know how it works).

I second this, as long as OP can make the return trip with MARC -- the last weeknight train leaves Baltimore Penn Station at 915PM. Not sure how late evening classes run, but this is an excellent option if it works out.

^^This is what was suggested to me when I asked about the DC/Baltimore Commute. However, If the 9:15PM is the last MARC train heading back to DC this could be a problem (if your in the PT evening program). I beleive the evening classes end around 9:30. Even if all your classes end at 9:00PM that doesn't give you very much time to get the the station on time to make the 9:15.

I have to have my car; I live in a small town in MD and we don't have access to public transportaion. My only other options are to suck it up and sit in traffice for 1.5 to 2 hours a day OR drive to Baltimore super early in the morning (I have to be at work by 7AM), park at the school, take the MARC to work in DC, take the MARC back to Baltimore, drive home from Batlimore, and do it all again the next day.

:shock: I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

rodmanhust

Postby rodmanhust » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:17 pm

CrystalLee wrote:
If you can easily get to Union Station, the MARC train would be your best option. UB is right by Penn Station. UMD would get a little bit trickier, but still very doable via MARC. You'd just have to hop on two (free) buses after you get off the train (and now that I think of it, UMD has their own shuttle too, I just don't know how it works).

I second this, as long as OP can make the return trip with MARC -- the last weeknight train leaves Baltimore Penn Station at 915PM. Not sure how late evening classes run, but this is an excellent option if it works out.

^^This is what was suggested to me when I asked about the DC/Baltimore Commute. However, If the 9:15PM is the last MARC train heading back to DC this could be a problem (if your in the PT evening program). I beleive the evening classes end around 9:30. Even if all your classes end at 9:00PM that doesn't give you very much time to get the the station on time to make the 9:15.

I have to have my car; I live in a small town in MD and we don't have access to public transportaion. My only other options are to suck it up and sit in traffice for 1.5 to 2 hours a day OR drive to Baltimore super early in the morning (I have to be at work by 7AM), park at the school, take the MARC to work in DC, take the MARC back to Baltimore, drive home from Batlimore, and do it all again the next day.

:shock: I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

not feasible. it'll drive you crazy.

jodunham

Postby jodunham » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:00 pm

Full Disclosure: I am applying to the evening program at UMB and was wait listed.

Greenbelt to Campus takes about 45 minutes at 3pm. In a perfect world, one may be able to make if from DC to campus in under an hour, but that would require that they are speeding as well as being dropped off at the front door. 295 is often crowded, there is construction at two places on both 295 and 95, and rush hour can be unpredictable at both 695 and 495. Its cutting it close.

There are possibilities if you live East of the Beltway, or most anywhere in MD in the MVD area. Campus is located very convenient to downtown Baltimore, so it is possible to make it in under an hour. You would have to have your own car. Public transport from Baltimore to DC is shaky unless you are able to be extremely flexible on delays. There are commuter buses and the MARC train, but the MARC only runs on select schedules surrounding rush hour which is the same with the buses. The Marc has recently started to run once again on the weekends, so good news for studying and clinic. The best resource to map out the commute would be http://mta.maryland.gov/

All in all, I would recommend making a dry run on a Saturday, then again on a Tuesday at 5pm. Best of luck to all. If you are not able to do it, I hope you the best of luck in your other options. The city is a great place and University of Baltimore also offers a great option but has a similar schedule.

ajl17

Postby ajl17 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:05 pm

There is the MARC Camden Line that will take you from Union Station to Camden Yards, then the school is only a few blocks over. I take this train all the time to Baltimore, it takes about an hour, then the walk over. It doesn't run on the weekends, so you have to use the Penn Line for that.

Kstejsk

Postby Kstejsk » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:30 pm

Does anyone know of the chances on getting off of the waitlist based off of past posts or personal experience? I am a 155 w/ 3.55 out of state so above the 25% LSAT..looked on LSAC and had a decent chance of admittance but was WL.

Agentsoapbox

Postby Agentsoapbox » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:16 pm

Decent chance doesn't mean admitted. Waitlist means you still have a chance.

why do you want to go to Maryland?

Kstejsk

Postby Kstejsk » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:25 pm

Agentsoapbox wrote:Decent chance doesn't mean admitted. Waitlist means you still have a chance.

why do you want to go to Maryland?

Really like the Legislative tract program..going to DC to work in a congressional office. Plus, I really enjoy the East Coast. I was just kind of bummed because on the LSAC it said I had a 40% chance of admit which isn't great but it's better than the 0-10% I got for Baylor and I got in there..

Agentsoapbox

Postby Agentsoapbox » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:19 am

This has been a very strange cycle. I got into Maryland, but I'm going to be withdrawing. I'm wait listed at GW, hopefully I get in. But strangely enough I was outright rejected from American. Depositing at UMiami and gonna wait on GW. Best of luck to you!

ajl17

Postby ajl17 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:42 am

For anyone who is 100% or almost 100% sure, I started a new thread in the TLS Class of 2017 section!
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=227545
Last edited by ajl17 on Mon May 05, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

random3

Postby random3 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi Everyone,

This is completely random but I'm going to be a first year medical student at UMD and am currently looking for a roommate to share a 2bedroom/2bathroom apartment about 10 minutes from campus. I want to have a life (and friends, lol) outside of medical school, hence how I ended up in this forum. If you're interested, shoot me a message.

BTW...at the risk of sounding like a craigslist creeper lol, I'm a nontraditional, female student looking for someone close in age and preferably female (but male is fine, too). Thanks!!

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Sun May 04, 2014 9:30 pm

Current UMD 1L willing to answer questions.

chizzy

Postby chizzy » Sun May 04, 2014 9:49 pm

Thank you! I have several questions if you don't mind:

1) how do you like the social scene? Are the students friendly or competitive?
2) where do you think is the best place to live as a 1L?

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Mon May 05, 2014 1:00 pm

chizzy wrote:Thank you! I have several questions if you don't mind:

1) It's a mix. You have people who are laid back and non-competitive (people have emailed me notes on days I was sick without me asking) and then you have the ultra-competitive gunners whose arms do not rest in class. Everyone is nice for the most part, but it's still tense at times. When things like internships, grades, trial team/adr results come out -- people feel miffed and show it.

As far as social scene goes -- there are groups who drink 4 days a week, not at all, or once a week/biweekly.

2) I do not live by the school, nor would I recommend it. Mostly everyone sticks to Fed Hill, Ridgely's, Otterbein or Mt. Vernon -- Fells/Canton are far. If you're considering a place and have questions about the neighborhood I'd be happy to give you the pro/cons.

Kstejsk

Postby Kstejsk » Mon May 05, 2014 3:46 pm

espressocream wrote:Current UMD 1L willing to answer questions.

I don't know if you were wait listed, but do you know what ppl who are wait listed can do to improve their chances of admission?

whattodoyeah

Postby whattodoyeah » Thu May 08, 2014 8:50 am

espressocream wrote:

1) It's a mix. You have people who are laid back and non-competitive (people have emailed me notes on days I was sick without me asking) and then you have the ultra-competitive gunners whose arms do not rest in class. Everyone is nice for the most part, but it's still tense at times. When things like internships, grades, trial team/adr results come out -- people feel miffed and show it.

As far as social scene goes -- there are groups who drink 4 days a week, not at all, or once a week/biweekly.

2) I do not live by the school, nor would I recommend it. Mostly everyone sticks to Fed Hill, Ridgely's, Otterbein or Mt. Vernon -- Fells/Canton are far. If you're considering a place and have questions about the neighborhood I'd be happy to give you the pro/cons.

Pro/cons of neighborhoods!

Ridgely's -- North of Washington st?
How good is the MD shuttle system?

ajl17

Postby ajl17 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:17 am

espressocream wrote:

There are some good secure apartments near the school along Fayette Street and near Camden Yards like the Zenith, Centerpoint, and Camden Court. If you want convenience but still cheap rent, I wouldn't totally write off living right near the school.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”