Houston c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Attax

Re: Houston c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:19 pm

Yeah, UH should not be less than Baylor, IMO.

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:34 pm

so i wrote an email to Houston asking when i could hear back because i applied in NOVEMBER and still have nothing except meaningless UR date changes.

They wrote back an apology email and admitted me like in an hour. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

No $$$ info yet.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:39 pm

kobe1020 wrote:so i wrote an email to Houston asking when i could hear back because i applied in NOVEMBER and still have nothing except meaningless UR date changes.

They wrote back an apology email and admitted me like in an hour. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

No $$$ info yet.

Good luck with the $$$! Always a nice reminder admissions is human :p

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:02 pm

IgosduIkana wrote:
rion91 wrote:
healthyman wrote:Rion91, I am a reverse splitter and a URM . Still deciding on when I should withdraw.

With the drop in Houston's rank some people may impulse withdraw. Even so, if you're set on working in Houston, I think UH may be your best choice after UT. UH's employment numbers are great for its rank. I think being waitlisted at this point in time is a good sign TBH.

EDIT: See LSN. http://houston.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants Sort by Status and you'll see how many people were waitlisted vs. admitted/pending.

Does anyone know which metric(s) Houston seems to fail at? I mean, comparing Houston to a school like Wisconsin who was 33 last year and even higher this year, Houston's LST numbers are clearly superior. Yet rankings-wise they aren't even in the same tier anymore. Why is this the case!!

LSAT and UGPA.

Not sure when these numbers are from, but:
--LinkRemoved--

BTW, you'll notice that the UH law library has only 80k titles vs ~250k + at most top schools. UH lost a lot when the library flooded in TS Allison and many that are more easily accessible (like reporters) were never replaced.
Last edited by BVest on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:14 pm

kobe1020 wrote:so i wrote an email to Houston asking when i could hear back because i applied in NOVEMBER and still have nothing except meaningless UR date changes.

No $$$ info yet.

Maybe this was due to the rankings freefall? I suspect a few extra admits will be mailed this week.

Suits them right. Everything from decisions to their admissions "packet" has been extremely lazy.

TxAgs182

Postby TxAgs182 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:35 pm

IgosduIkana wrote:Does anyone know which metric(s) Houston seems to fail at? I mean, comparing Houston to a school like Wisconsin who was 33 last year and even higher this year, Houston's LST numbers are clearly superior. Yet rankings-wise they aren't even in the same tier anymore. Why is this the case!!

If I had to guess, it would could be bar passage. It's been consistently around 88-90% and has been slightly declining over the past few years.

--LinkRemoved--

transferror

Postby transferror » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:47 pm

TxAgs182 wrote:
IgosduIkana wrote:Does anyone know which metric(s) Houston seems to fail at? I mean, comparing Houston to a school like Wisconsin who was 33 last year and even higher this year, Houston's LST numbers are clearly superior. Yet rankings-wise they aren't even in the same tier anymore. Why is this the case!!

If I had to guess, it would could be bar passage. It's been consistently around 88-90% and has been slightly declining over the past few years.

--LinkRemoved--

Who cares? There isn't a "prestige" difference b/t the bottom of the T1 and the few outliers on the edge of the T2. the difference b/t 40-->50-->60 is negligible. All that matters is placement, and Houston has better placement than plenty of schools ranked higher. No reason to be discouraged or worried at all. Regional feeder > (insert school b/t #35-50 in USNWR in rural area). If anything, some of you will get a bump in scholly so Houston retains numbers and you can thank USNWR for the discount.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:25 pm

TxAgs182 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Considering that Wisco (and Marquette) grads who want to practice in Wisconsin don't have to take the bar exam, I don't think that's the distinguishing factor.

TxAgs182

Postby TxAgs182 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:27 pm

transferror wrote:Who cares? There isn't a "prestige" difference b/t the bottom of the T1 and the few outliers on the edge of the T2. the difference b/t 40-->50-->60 is negligible. All that matters is placement, and Houston has better placement than plenty of schools ranked higher. No reason to be discouraged or worried at all. Regional feeder > (insert school b/t #35-50 in USNWR in rural area). If anything, some of you will get a bump in scholly so Houston retains numbers and you can thank USNWR for the discount.

Hey man I hear ya, I plan on accepting at UH, I was just speculating. I actually work at a texas law firm now and the story I hear from each of the attorneys is that pretty much all texas law schools will give you a fine legal education, and besides that, after getting a job the more experience you have the less employers care about where you got your degree from.

As for the rankings my attitude one of indifference. It's true at least some employers may use them to sort large stacks of applications. or whatever, but apparently in texas regionality is much more of a factor than any ranking 'prestige'. For example a south texas graduate may fare just as well or better than an smu graduate in Houston despite not being ranked. However, if you're not in a major metropolitan area in texas such as Houston or Dallas, where you graduate from may matter less. Where I work, there are attorneys from UT, Houston, and South Texas, and the one who makes the most went to ST (If thats what you care about, anyway). As for the lower ranked schools like St. Mary's and A&M, I just haven't heard people talk about them enough for me to be able to say much about them, but I would guess A&M will see some major reform soon because of the recent acquirement. Besides, who knows what the rankings will be like when we graduate? For all we know they could be totally different.

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:44 am

Nucky wrote:

No $$$ info yet.

Maybe this was due to the rankings freefall? I suspect a few extra admits will be mailed this week.

Suits them right. Everything from decisions to their admissions "packet" has been extremely lazy.

i know. i was under the impression that i could leverage UH's offer for a LITTLE bit money from UT. Oh well now people from UT won't give a *** about whatever UH is offering me..

healthyman

Postby healthyman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:31 am

Well, I guess it is time to start brainstorming some ideas for my LOCI, and begin soliciting another LOR. I am going to try to ride this waitlist until I can no more.

Attax

Postby Attax » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:07 am

kobe1020 wrote:
Nucky wrote:

No $$$ info yet.

i know. i was under the impression that i could leverage UH's offer for a LITTLE bit money from UT. Oh well now people from UT won't give a *** about whatever UH is offering me..

THIS! Bleh

rion91

Postby rion91 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:45 am

TxAgs182 wrote:
transferror wrote:Who cares? There isn't a "prestige" difference b/t the bottom of the T1 and the few outliers on the edge of the T2. the difference b/t 40-->50-->60 is negligible. All that matters is placement, and Houston has better placement than plenty of schools ranked higher. No reason to be discouraged or worried at all. Regional feeder > (insert school b/t #35-50 in USNWR in rural area). If anything, some of you will get a bump in scholly so Houston retains numbers and you can thank USNWR for the discount.

Hey man I hear ya, I plan on accepting at UH, I was just speculating. I actually work at a texas law firm now and the story I hear from each of the attorneys is that pretty much all texas law schools will give you a fine legal education, and besides that, after getting a job the more experience you have the less employers care about where you got your degree from.

As for the rankings my attitude one of indifference. It's true at least some employers may use them to sort large stacks of applications. or whatever, but apparently in texas regionality is much more of a factor than any ranking 'prestige'. For example a south texas graduate may fare just as well or better than an smu graduate in Houston despite not being ranked. However, if you're not in a major metropolitan area in texas such as Houston or Dallas, where you graduate from may matter less. Where I work, there are attorneys from UT, Houston, and South Texas, and the one who makes the most went to ST (If thats what you care about, anyway). As for the lower ranked schools like St. Mary's and A&M, I just haven't heard people talk about them enough for me to be able to say much about them, but I would guess A&M will see some major reform soon because of the recent acquirement. Besides, who knows what the rankings will be like when we graduate? For all we know they could be totally different.

I work in the legal industry too. I get the feeling that the TX market is very insular. I also see that the older you are, the less it matters where you graduated from. I'm not sure if that is more so a product of a far gone time (40 years ago where law school -> job security) or that so much experience has awarded the hard working.

lsatyolo

Postby lsatyolo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Just got the email and I'm in! I'm about to go on vacation so my letter will probably come in the mail while I'm gone. Really curious to see if they give me money.

I have a big decision to make between staying here in my hometown or moving up to Dallas... I'm still hoping for UT, though.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:08 pm

lsatyolo wrote:Just got the email and I'm in! I'm about to go on vacation so my letter will probably come in the mail while I'm gone. Really curious to see if they give me money.

I have a big decision to make between staying here in my hometown or moving up to Dallas... I'm still hoping for UT, though.

Congrats!! When did you go complete? Stats?

Edit: I could tell you were from screwston from dat avy 8)

texasmuppet

Postby texasmuppet » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:56 pm

In today by e-mail!
3.47 and 157
I don't think I'm going to get $$$ though it would be nice if I did.

rion91

Postby rion91 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:01 pm

texasmuppet wrote:In today by e-mail!
3.47 and 157
I don't think I'm going to get $$$ though it would be nice if I did.

Congrats! When did you go under review?

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:07 pm

lsatyolo wrote:Just got the email and I'm in! I'm about to go on vacation so my letter will probably come in the mail while I'm gone. Really curious to see if they give me money.

Don't think of it as which school. Think of it as which market. That's really going to be the biggest distinction between the two though there is a little flow back and forth, but don't count on that.

Oh, and when I got UHLC a couple years ago my money info came about two weeks later.

bound

Postby bound » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:10 pm

DALLAS DALLAS DALLAS

rion91

Postby rion91 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:20 pm

Houston > Dallas

the_dude83

Postby the_dude83 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:35 pm

Just finding all this. Checking in. File in review as of 3/3, applied at the deadline!

Below average lsat, great gpa, veteran, tx resident, former coog, 40hr worker w/ family, etc...
Hope they weigh all this into their decision!

How long is the process generally taking?

rion91

Postby rion91 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:41 pm

the_dude83 wrote:Just finding all this. Checking in. File in review as of 3/3, applied at the deadline!

Below average lsat, great gpa, veteran, tx resident, former coog, 40hr worker w/ family, etc...
Hope they weigh all this into their decision!

How long is the process generally taking?

Good luck! I'm rooting for you. (Thanks for letting me know about the fee waiver) :lol:

Houston2017

Postby Houston2017 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:52 pm

First post... looking forward to hearing back from UH... also a 3/3 file review. Anyone else apply for (accepted/declined?) the part-time program?

viktorialee

Postby viktorialee » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:14 pm

Houston2017 wrote:First post... looking forward to hearing back from UH... also a 3/3 file review. Anyone else apply for (accepted/declined?) the part-time program?

Part Time applicant here. File went under review 3/4.

lsatyolo

Postby lsatyolo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:06 pm

rion91 wrote:

Congrats!! When did you go complete? Stats?

Edit: I could tell you were from screwston from dat avy 8)

Gotta represent, mane! I went under review 2/7. 161, 3.63.

DALLAS DALLAS DALLAS

This is a tough decision :?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”