Arizona State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
copperboom22

Re: Arizona State c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby copperboom22 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:31 pm

In via email a few hours ago with a note that I should expect my admissions packet in the mail "next week." Thinking that since it's only Tuesday, "next week" may mean later this week.

Complete 1/29

JUCO

Postby JUCO » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:27 pm

copperboom22 wrote:In via email a few hours ago with a note that I should expect my admissions packet in the mail "next week." Thinking that since it's only Tuesday, "next week" may mean later this week.

Complete 1/29

I am jealous. Are you from AZ?

copperboom22

Postby copperboom22 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:54 pm

JUCO wrote:
copperboom22 wrote:In via email a few hours ago with a note that I should expect my admissions packet in the mail "next week." Thinking that since it's only Tuesday, "next week" may mean later this week.

Complete 1/29

I am jealous. Are you from AZ?

No, I was born there and I think (?) that birthplace was in the application somewhere but I doubt that would matter, I haven't lived there since I was maybe 2. I submitted somewhere around 1/17 though and didn't go under review until 3/8 I think. I'm also pretty comfortably above the 75th percentile LSAT and GPA so it's been kind of baffling that it even took this long. Hang in there though! I thought they forgot about me and they didn't. Maybe they're just trying to be elusive and mysterious so we REALLY REALLY want that acceptance by the time it shows up. :roll: :lol:

moneyinthestand

Postby moneyinthestand » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:08 pm

Did everyone's status change from "Realeased- Ready for review" to "Committee Review" before hearing back from them? I'm still in "Released- Ready for review" and my seat deposit for George Washington is coming up soon.

missjables16

Postby missjables16 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:10 pm

ASUPHI2LAW wrote:
JUCO wrote:
Kevinlomax wrote:still "committee review" since 1/23

wtf...

1/7

12/13....

11/13!!

upstateboy

Postby upstateboy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:47 pm

Date change today!! Finally some movement, does anyone think this has any significance of a possible decision soon?

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:37 pm

upstateboy wrote:Date change today!! Finally some movement, does anyone think this has any significance of a possible decision soon?

when I called them they said there should be some decisions released at the end of this week

JUCO

Postby JUCO » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:54 am

Kevinlomax wrote:
upstateboy wrote:Date change today!! Finally some movement, does anyone think this has any significance of a possible decision soon?

when I called them they said there should be some decisions released at the end of this week

Anybody get a decision?

ASUPHI2LAW

Postby ASUPHI2LAW » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:31 pm

JUCO wrote:
Kevinlomax wrote:

Anybody get a decision?

NO :( I called and they didn't have a reason why even though they promised I would hear back by last Friday...

onlyunholy

Postby onlyunholy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Anyone with information about possible travel stipends from ASU for attending ASW/campus visits?

upstateboy

Postby upstateboy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:47 pm

ASUPHI2LAW wrote:
JUCO wrote:
Kevinlomax wrote:

Anybody get a decision?

NO :( I called and they didn't have a reason why even though they promised I would hear back by last Friday...

gahh I was so excited to hear something friday and then was bummed when there was no word. Does anyone have an idea when they are sending out decisions ?

ASUPHI2LAW

Postby ASUPHI2LAW » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:59 pm

upstateboy wrote:gahh I was so excited to hear something friday and then was bummed when there was no word. Does anyone have an idea when they are sending out decisions ?

The day before classes begin. I kid, I kid.. but maybe..?

upstateboy

Postby upstateboy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:01 pm

ASUPHI2LAW wrote:
upstateboy wrote:gahh I was so excited to hear something friday and then was bummed when there was no word. Does anyone have an idea when they are sending out decisions ?

If thats the case Im going to U of A, ASU is taking too long its getting ridiculous.

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:20 pm

for those of you applying from out of state:

Attention out-of-state students banking on getting in-state tuition: it is doable but you have to start working NOW.

[quote=Glock]Tips they do not tell you:

-Do not have your parents or anyone else claim you as a dependent on their taxes if they live outside of Arizona. They will look back two years from the start of your 2L year. This two years is the kicker- on everything else they are looking for one year, but on taxes they look at 2. If your parents have already claimed you for 2011, have them amend their taxes to remove it. Hell, have them amend their 2010 taxes if they can. It is worth at least 40k to you if you go to ASU. If your parents have claimed you in the last two years it creates a 'strong presumption' that you do not intend to reside here permanently. I've never heard of someone overcoming it, including people that have long term job offers. *This is probably the most important thing you never hear*
-SEVER any documented connection to your home state. I am talking about a my-leg-is-wounded-in-the-civil-war amputation. Close all bank accounts in your home state and open new ones in Arizona (it matters and is better than transferring bank accounts). Register your car here even if you have time remaining in your home state. Move any licenses (like gun carry permits) here ASAP. Notify your MVD in writing that you are no longer a resident, get an AZ DL. DO THIS AS SOON AS YOU CAN AFTER DECIDING TO GO TO ASU. The earlier the better. Retain all documents, make sure they are dated.
-Register to vote in Arizona AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, possibly before you even have a place to live. Arizona voter registration allows you to describe where you live if you do not have a permanent residence. Describe the law school intersection. If you are not comfortable with this admittedly dubious option then get a mailboxes etc box for voter registration on a visit, or at the very least register ASAP when you get a home address. More time having a DL and as a voter= more likely to be 'resident'. Notify your home state that you should not longer be registered as you are not a resident.

BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS you want no paper connection to your home state, and evidence that you severed it, and tons of paper connection to AZ. You also want some evidence that you financially support yourself. Loan documents should cover that, but make sure any family support you get is less than obvious. The earlier the better on anything, and it is worth at least 40k to you. Be diligent on this like you were for the LSAT or your applications- you are applying for a $40k+ scholarship.

This process isn't hard, but parents claiming you on this year's taxes and you keeping your home state DL will kill you every time, and these two trip up a lot of people.

.[/quote]

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:32 pm

upstateboy wrote:
ASUPHI2LAW wrote:

If thats the case Im going to U of A, ASU is taking too long its getting ridiculous.

ASU was one of my top choices but now I probably wont attend.

ASUPHI2LAW

Postby ASUPHI2LAW » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:34 pm

w7ldcard wrote:
upstateboy wrote:
ASUPHI2LAW wrote:

ASU was one of my top choices but now I probably wont attend.

Yeah, with UofA's seat deposit looming in on April 1st (the discounted one), it's looking like I'm going to be forced to pay my seat at UofA. I dont have the ability to pay multiple seat deposits... I don't think ASU really thought the 2013-2014 admissions cycle out?

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:48 pm

ASU was one of my top choices but now I probably wont attend.[/quote]

Yeah, with UofA's seat deposit looming in on April 1st (the discounted one), it's looking like I'm going to be forced to pay my seat at UofA. I dont have the ability to pay multiple seat deposits... I don't think ASU really thought the 2013-2014 admissions cycle out?[/quote]

From everything I have read they do this every year. Now UF I went complete on the 16th and a decision has been rendered today ... now thats a good turn around.

JUCO

Postby JUCO » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:28 pm

ASUPHI2LAW wrote:
JUCO wrote:
Kevinlomax wrote:

Anybody get a decision?

What number are you guys calling? I would like to give them a call also.

This is honestly ridiculous, they are just playing games with the numbers and I see perfectly now why their rank continues to slide.

ASUPHI2LAW

Postby ASUPHI2LAW » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:14 pm

JUCO wrote:What number are you guys calling? I would like to give them a call also.

This is honestly ridiculous, they are just playing games with the numbers and I see perfectly now why their rank continues to slide.

I called 480 965 1474 and asked to speak with an admissions advisor

upstateboy

Postby upstateboy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:57 pm

I just got "Decision Rendered" with decision letter mailed 3/24...is this a good or bad sign? does anyone know if they send rejections through the mail? Thanks in advance!

ASUPHI2LAW

Postby ASUPHI2LAW » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:06 pm

upstateboy wrote:I just got "Decision Rendered" with decision letter mailed 3/24...is this a good or bad sign? does anyone know if they send rejections through the mail? Thanks in advance!

Can someone give some insight on this? I have the same question- although no decision rendered for me.. :( Anyways, I called, like I said above, and the woman said that after a decision is rendered, for me to keep an eye out for something in the mail. My understanding was that denials are through snail mail and acceptances come first by email, and then by packet. What's going onnnnnnn?

upstateboy

Postby upstateboy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:09 pm

ASUPHI2LAW wrote:
upstateboy wrote:I just got "Decision Rendered" with decision letter mailed 3/24...is this a good or bad sign? does anyone know if they send rejections through the mail? Thanks in advance!

Can someone give some insight on this? I have the same question- although no decision rendered for me.. :( Anyways, I called, like I said above, and the woman said that after a decision is rendered, for me to keep an eye out for something in the mail. My understanding was that denials are through snail mail and acceptances come first by email, and then by packet. What's going onnnnnnn?

I called and the woman said that if I don't get the letter by friday, I should send an email for the decision because they do not save over the phone. It seems rude to send rejections thru the snail mail because who wants to check their mailbox everyday for a rejection. I sure hope its an acceptance ASU was the last school I was really waiting on a decision. If anyone finds out more please post!

upstateboy

Postby upstateboy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:13 pm

upstateboy wrote:
ASUPHI2LAW wrote:

I called and the woman said that if I don't get the letter by friday, I should send an email for the decision because they do not save over the phone. It seems rude to send rejections thru the snail mail because who wants to check their mailbox everyday for a rejection. I sure hope its an acceptance ASU was the last school I was really waiting on a decision. If anyone finds out more please post!

Also I forgot to ask does anyone know any tricks to finding out your decision early? Example U of Arizona you can sign on to their accepted students page by entering your last name/first name in username then Wildcats2017 in the password line. I was able to get my decision close to 5 days before i got the letter because Im in DC. Does ASU have anything like this?

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:29 pm

I don't believe ASU has a status checker for applications.

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:47 pm

gaud wrote:I don't believe ASU has a status checker for applications.

ASU does

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”