University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SparkyZZZ
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby SparkyZZZ » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:35 pm

I was just notified that I didn't get one red cent of merit aid. Will be withdrawing. All that money and yet they have "limited funds." Sheesh.

User avatar
anna8506
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby anna8506 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:36 pm

lbrodsky wrote:
pixy1900 wrote:Just got an email saying i received no merit based scholarships, and that they will reassess my merit aid on may 1 (after I will deposit at another school that give me aid... so no thanks) Over both 75ths, out of state but grew up in Seattle.
I'm bummed, I got great money at USC and some other not as good schools, so I was expecting something decent from UW and it was a top choice. Now i am regretting that I already bought my tickets for asw as I will definitely not be able to attend at out of state sticker price. feeling bitter :( guess they didnt like my scholarship essay or somethin'
:cry:


Yeah, I just got the same email. What the hell? I'm really disappointed. This was my first choice...

Me too.. May 1 is toooo late.

pixy1900
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby pixy1900 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:52 pm

+1

Heard UW was notoriously cheap (both for student aid and for professors salaries etc) but I am honestly surprised at the goose egg. I heard they were desperate for good candidates from a professor there who encouraged me to apply, but now I see why.

Honestly, at this point, even if I do get reconsidered for aid, I am taking this as a sign of the way UW doles out resources to students, and I would prefer a more supportive environment with more opportunities.

Also... what about their largest donation ever that they got this year. "limited funds" my #($&#*%&#%

ETA: Congrats to those of you who did get some money. I'm just jealous.

User avatar
whale_rider0525
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby whale_rider0525 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:00 pm

lbrodsky wrote:
pixy1900 wrote:Just got an email saying i received no merit based scholarships, and that they will reassess my merit aid on may 1 (after I will deposit at another school that give me aid... so no thanks) Over both 75ths, out of state but grew up in Seattle.
I'm bummed, I got great money at USC and some other not as good schools, so I was expecting something decent from UW and it was a top choice. Now i am regretting that I already bought my tickets for asw as I will definitely not be able to attend at out of state sticker price. feeling bitter :( guess they didnt like my scholarship essay or somethin'
:cry:


Yeah, I just got the same email. What the hell? I'm really disappointed. This was my first choice...



Yep, got the same email too. I was under 25th for LSAT but over 75th for GPA so I'm not completely surprised, but I thought my high GPA would count for something. Already sent in my seat deposit too. "Bitter" is a great way to put it. Fingers crossed they like me more after May 1st... :roll:

altthymes
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby altthymes » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:12 pm

anna8506 wrote:
lbrodsky wrote:
pixy1900 wrote:Just got an email saying i received no merit based scholarships, and that they will reassess my merit aid on may 1 (after I will deposit at another school that give me aid... so no thanks) Over both 75ths, out of state but grew up in Seattle.
I'm bummed, I got great money at USC and some other not as good schools, so I was expecting something decent from UW and it was a top choice. Now i am regretting that I already bought my tickets for asw as I will definitely not be able to attend at out of state sticker price. feeling bitter :( guess they didnt like my scholarship essay or somethin'
:cry:


Yeah, I just got the same email. What the hell? I'm really disappointed. This was my first choice...

Me too.. May 1 is toooo late.


Same. Feeling very disappointed.

magnuswalton
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:24 am

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby magnuswalton » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:19 pm

I am in the same boat.
Out of state/LSAT GPA both above 75th...no scholarship funds...its interesting...
Was reading this thread and now am motivated to share...it helps to get a more clear perspective when we share our outcomes.
Why May 1 is my question? April is the deposit deadline...
Why would they not increase funds if they have such a generous donation...maybe they should watch the movie called "Pay It Forward"
Anyway...thanks for sharing and good luck to all.

altthymes
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby altthymes » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:25 pm

magnuswalton wrote:I am in the same boat.
Out of state/LSAT GPA both above 75th...no scholarship funds...its interesting...
Was reading this thread and now am motivated to share...it helps to get a more clear perspective when we share our outcomes.
Why May 1 is my question? April is the deposit deadline...
Why would they not increase funds if they have such a generous donation...maybe they should watch the movie called "Pay It Forward"
Anyway...thanks for sharing and good luck to all.


Actually UW's seat deposit is May 1, so I guess that's why the scholarship committee meets again after that date.

magnuswalton
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:24 am

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby magnuswalton » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:43 pm

ok.
do you happen to know why UW has taken this particular path with schollie offers?

magnuswalton
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:24 am

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby magnuswalton » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Of those of us given zero schollie funds, how many have RSVP'd for admitted student day? I have. So that makes 1 person with no schollie and enough interest to go see the school...I had RSVP'd BEFORE their LACK of schollie offer.

lbrodsky
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby lbrodsky » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:49 pm

magnuswalton wrote:Of those of us given zero schollie funds, how many have RSVP'd for admitted student day? I have. So that makes 1 person with no schollie and enough interest to go see the school...I had RSVP'd BEFORE their LACK of schollie offer.


I've already RSVP'd and bought 2 nonrefundable $240 tickets to fly to Seattle so I guess I'm going. Debating whether or not I'm going to be able to squeeze out deposits to multiple schools and hope that I get awarded some $

pixy1900
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby pixy1900 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:52 pm

I too already RSVPed and booked a plane ticket from across the country back when I thought I would get a merit aid.

cokilx
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby cokilx » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:43 am

lbrodsky wrote:
pixy1900 wrote:Just got an email saying i received no merit based scholarships, and that they will reassess my merit aid on may 1 (after I will deposit at another school that give me aid... so no thanks) Over both 75ths, out of state but grew up in Seattle.
I'm bummed, I got great money at USC and some other not as good schools, so I was expecting something decent from UW and it was a top choice. Now i am regretting that I already bought my tickets for asw as I will definitely not be able to attend at out of state sticker price. feeling bitter :( guess they didnt like my scholarship essay or somethin'
:cry:


Yeah, I just got the same email. What the hell? I'm really disappointed. This was my first choice...


I got the same email today as well :(
So disappointed, thought at least they would offer a waiver to pay just in-state tuition.

User avatar
anna8506
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby anna8506 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Anyone know where I can find my UW Net ID? Thanks

etoile
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby etoile » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:36 pm

anna8506 wrote:Anyone know where I can find my UW Net ID? Thanks


The registrar mails you instructions on how to set it up along with enrollment forms.

User avatar
anna8506
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby anna8506 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:39 pm

etoile wrote:
anna8506 wrote:Anyone know where I can find my UW Net ID? Thanks


The registrar mails you instructions on how to set it up along with enrollment forms.

Does the enrollment form come with the acceptance package? I couldn't find any in mine. But it was a rainy day when it came and the package was kinda open when I received it.
Thank you

zephyr12
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby zephyr12 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:41 pm

anna8506 wrote:Anyone know where I can find my UW Net ID? Thanks


I'm assuming you just got the "Notice of Financial Aid Offer" e-mail as well? I just called Admissions and you have to e-mail them and they send you the info you need to register it by snail mail :( Looks like we won't see our financial aid numbers until next week.
Last edited by zephyr12 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
anna8506
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby anna8506 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:42 pm

zephyr12 wrote:
anna8506 wrote:Anyone know where I can find my UW Net ID? Thanks


I'm assuming you just got the "Notice of Financial Aid Offer" e-mail as well? You have to call Admissions to get your Private Access Code and System Key to get your UWNetID. Also got my student ID number.

Yes. I will do that. Thank you!
This does not mean I am matriculating, right?

zephyr12
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby zephyr12 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:51 pm

anna8506 wrote:
zephyr12 wrote:
anna8506 wrote:Anyone know where I can find my UW Net ID? Thanks


I'm assuming you just got the "Notice of Financial Aid Offer" e-mail as well? You have to call Admissions to get your Private Access Code and System Key to get your UWNetID. Also got my student ID number.

Yes. I will do that. Thank you!
This does not mean I am matriculating, right?


No. Although I agree it does seem a little strange to have to make an e-mail for a school I haven't committed to attending yet. At the very least, you can get 6 months of Amazon Prime for free with your uw.edu e-mail even if you end up not going there haha.

User avatar
anna8506
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby anna8506 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:53 pm

zephyr12 wrote:
anna8506 wrote:
zephyr12 wrote:
anna8506 wrote:Anyone know where I can find my UW Net ID? Thanks


I'm assuming you just got the "Notice of Financial Aid Offer" e-mail as well? You have to call Admissions to get your Private Access Code and System Key to get your UWNetID. Also got my student ID number.

Yes. I will do that. Thank you!
This does not mean I am matriculating, right?


No. Although I agree it does seem a little strange to have to make an e-mail for a school I haven't committed to attending yet. At the very least, you can get 6 months of Amazon Prime for free with your uw.edu e-mail even if you end up not going there haha.

Hmmm... I didn't know there are perks. Maybe it will be worth it, lol.. Thank you. I just emailed them.

etoile
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:50 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby etoile » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:20 pm

anna8506 wrote:Does the enrollment form come with the acceptance package? I couldn't find any in mine. But it was a rainy day when it came and the package was kinda open when I received it.
Thank you


Nah, it's a separate packet. I just got mine yesterday and I got my acceptance package over a month ago... though it seems that zephyr's method is much quicker than waiting!

zephyr12
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby zephyr12 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:21 pm

Financial aid tip: I just called the Office of Financial Aid and if you provide your student ID number (which I got from the Registrar's Office) they'll just tell you over the phone what your financial aid award is in case anyone was anxious like I was and didn't want to wait for the UW NetID thing to come in the mail.

Didn't get the Graduate University Grant unfortunately :(

User avatar
anna8506
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby anna8506 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks guys.

Sorry to hear that, zephyr12..

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby cron1834 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:01 am

Going to withdraw on Monday. Accepted late Feb, above both 75s. I hope this helps someone get in. They're too stingy for my taste.

TripleCheck
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby TripleCheck » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Still in review. :)

I know there was another who submitted 2/7 that still is in review too. How common is it that people's applications go on unresolved beyond the deposit date/etc.?

SparkyZZZ
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Postby SparkyZZZ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:13 pm

Just to be clear; for UW, does "award" mean "loan" and not scholarship?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chipotle85, flowering, legallyadog, potatoes, stewhan, taxman14 and 16 guests