University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
altthymes

New

Re: University of Washington C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Cycle)

Post by altthymes » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:52 pm

SparkyZZZ wrote:Just to be clear; for UW, does "award" mean "loan" and not scholarship?
I believe so. Though I suppose it's possible that grants may be offered in your award, but my financial aid "award" was just the standard combo of loans.

Icecold62

Bronze

Post by Icecold62 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:27 am

Award means grant. It's federal while scholarships are from the school.

etoile

New

Post by etoile » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:42 am

Wait, so did you guys all get your financial aid awards via email already?

mathwhiz87

New

Post by mathwhiz87 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:31 am

etoile wrote:Wait, so did you guys all get your financial aid awards via email already?
I did. I created my account and saw my student aid (read: federal loans) amount on Friday. I was accepted in January and completed my FAFSA before the deadline.

SparkyZZZ

Bronze

Post by SparkyZZZ » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:40 am

Man, $180K in loans is ridiculous. Has anyone tried to negotiate for a scholarship yet?

Darn, I really liked UW; I guess the one silver-lining is that I won't have to live in the same town as my ex-gf now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Just got off the phone with UW Law Admissions and for those of us who haven't received the System Key and Private Access Code which are necessary to set-up your UW NetID to see your offer from Financial Aid, I'm told "it's now in the mail" and you should expect it in the next day or two.

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:51 am

zephyr12 wrote: No. Although I agree it does seem a little strange to have to make an e-mail for a school I haven't committed to attending yet. At the very least, you can get 6 months of Amazon Prime for free with your uw.edu e-mail even if you end up not going there haha.
Bahaha ^ this. +1 :D

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:56 am

zephyr12 wrote:Financial aid tip: I just called the Office of Financial Aid and if you provide your student ID number (which I got from the Registrar's Office) they'll just tell you over the phone what your financial aid award is in case anyone was anxious like I was and didn't want to wait for the UW NetID thing to come in the mail.

Didn't get the Graduate University Grant unfortunately :(
Thank you for this info!! I'll be calling tomorrow :D Hope I got something :/ They did admit me within 1 week... here's to hoping they were generous -_- Listening to other people's posts, probably not :s

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:08 am

zanardin wrote:Got a scholarship email last night, 30k spread over three years, so only 10k a year (and I'm out of state) 165/3.5. I am quite disappointed about this offer because I have received larger scholarships from similarly ranked schools (20-25k a year) as well as $30k a year from Lewis & Clark and U of Colorado. UW is (or was) my first choice but I don't know if I can justify going when I have the option of paying only 10k a year at other schools.

Has anyone had any luck negotiating their scholarship? I have hear UW is pretty stingy. I guess now I am trying to decide if it is worth going to the higher ranked school with more debt or the lower school with less haha.
I think the answer depends. Do you want to practice in the Washington or Oregon area? If so, it may be worth it to go to UW. However, if you aren't sure where you want to practice and want to have some options, it may be worth going to a higher ranked school. This seems especially valid if you get into a T14. Hope this helped. I would definitely try to negotiate wherever you end up going.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amohiuddin

New

Post by amohiuddin » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:41 pm

Got wait listed today. Any hope out there?

mathwhiz87

New

Post by mathwhiz87 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:24 pm

janetdoe wrote:
zanardin wrote:Got a scholarship email last night, 30k spread over three years, so only 10k a year (and I'm out of state) 165/3.5. I am quite disappointed about this offer because I have received larger scholarships from similarly ranked schools (20-25k a year) as well as $30k a year from Lewis & Clark and U of Colorado. UW is (or was) my first choice but I don't know if I can justify going when I have the option of paying only 10k a year at other schools.

Has anyone had any luck negotiating their scholarship? I have hear UW is pretty stingy. I guess now I am trying to decide if it is worth going to the higher ranked school with more debt or the lower school with less haha.
I think the answer depends. Do you want to practice in the Washington or Oregon area? If so, it may be worth it to go to UW. However, if you aren't sure where you want to practice and want to have some options, it may be worth going to a higher ranked school. This seems especially valid if you get into a T14. Hope this helped. I would definitely try to negotiate wherever you end up going.
They don't seem sympathetic re: scholarships and negotiations. BUT they sometimes will offer you in-state tuition even if you're out of state. You could try for that...

I visited UW a while back, and I'm from out of state too. PM me for details.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:47 pm

I would never go to UW Law! I love Seattle and think the UW overall is one of the best in the country, no doubt. But the administration there is really cold...mean. The law school is just a dry environment, period, and it doesn't have much of a "culture". I like everything about the UW except for the law school.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:07 am

PDaddy wrote:I would never go to UW Law! I love Seattle and think the UW overall is one of the best in the country, no doubt. But the administration there is really cold...mean. The law school is just a dry environment, period, and it doesn't have much of a "culture". I like everything about the UW except for the law school.
Seattle is a fucking BALLER city. If the Biglaw+Fedclerk score was even remotely reasonable I would go here in a heartbeat. <3 the PNW, but UW is too stingy and too suspect in jobs #s for me to matriculate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gratfield

New

Post by gratfield » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:26 pm

Last edited by gratfield on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripleCheck

New

Post by TripleCheck » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:41 pm

Just got my ding. Not surprised though. :) Oh well.

burner

New

Post by burner » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:18 pm

TripleCheck wrote:Just got my ding. Not surprised though. :) Oh well.
me too. Not surprised either. meh.

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:45 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts about whether to try negotiating scholarships before or after the 1st seat deposit deadline on May 1st? I've been leaning on waiting to try it after May 1st but the other part of me is anxious and wants to do it ASAP.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zanardin

New

Post by zanardin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:40 am

I tried to negotiate my scholarship with Dean Le, using other scholarships I've received and the fact that I am committed to PI law and so the amount of debt I accrue is my main consideration in choosing a school. He basically said funds are limited and I was lucky to even receive a scholarship, and they do not take other scholarship offers into consideration in negotiating. But, after May 1 funds may become available and I, along with students who did not receive a scholarship, will be considered for extra funds (it sounded like student without an initial scholarship would be given priority).

I also emailed him and the admissions office about getting an in state tuition waiver, and got a response saying they are "out of waivers."

A very frustrating result considering UW was my first choice all along. But now it is hard to justify attending when I have received more money at several other schools.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Bronze

Post by AnonymousAlterEgoC » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:13 am

zanardin wrote:I tried to negotiate my scholarship with Dean Le, using other scholarships I've received and the fact that I am committed to PI law and so the amount of debt I accrue is my main consideration in choosing a school. He basically said funds are limited and I was lucky to even receive a scholarship, and they do not take other scholarship offers into consideration in negotiating. But, after May 1 funds may become available and I, along with students who did not receive a scholarship, will be considered for extra funds (it sounded like student without an initial scholarship would be given priority).

I also emailed him and the admissions office about getting an in state tuition waiver, and got a response saying they are "out of waivers."

A very frustrating result considering UW was my first choice all along. But now it is hard to justify attending when I have received more money at several other schools.
Did the same thing and received the same result.

It would be stupid to attend at this point.

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:38 pm

zanardin wrote:I tried to negotiate my scholarship with Dean Le, using other scholarships I've received and the fact that I am committed to PI law and so the amount of debt I accrue is my main consideration in choosing a school. He basically said funds are limited and I was lucky to even receive a scholarship, and they do not take other scholarship offers into consideration in negotiating. But, after May 1 funds may become available and I, along with students who did not receive a scholarship, will be considered for extra funds (it sounded like student without an initial scholarship would be given priority).

That's disappointing, sorry to hear that. I think your experience makes up mind to wait until after May 1st to make the ask since it sounds like they're just issuing a blanket "not now" which is really unfortunate. Thanks for sharing the info.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:57 pm

PDaddy wrote:I would never go to UW Law! I love Seattle and think the UW overall is one of the best in the country, no doubt. But the administration there is really cold...mean. The law school is just a dry environment, period, and it doesn't have much of a "culture". I like everything about the UW except for the law school.
Not the thread for this post; don't discuss merits in Acceptances, Waitlists, Denials (I mean, did you really just drop in to this thread solely for the purpose of saying you wouldn't go? Okay, but who cares?)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

yafosho

New

Post by yafosho » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:56 pm

3.17, 164, AA-URM
Feb 10th - Application received via email
March 18th - In!!! Via email

Gustave

New

Post by Gustave » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:47 pm

zephyr12 wrote:
Last year I deposited and they upped my scholarship after the May 1st deadline. My sense is the Dean Le is pretty sincere about this "reconsideration."

Also, anyone who wants a place to crash for the 4/4 ASW, PM me. I live a short ways from the Law School, and will be attending the event (and going out for an unrelated Friday night celebratory drinks round afterward.)

Any questions about any of this, PM me.

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:51 pm

For those of you going to ASD on 4/4, I thought everyone would like to see this: http://www.law.washington.edu/Admission ... ckCase.pdf

I stumbled across it while I was looking for more information about ASD since I haven't received an e-mail or anything since I sent in my RSVP. Get started on your homework for Friday!

Gustave

New

Post by Gustave » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:06 pm

zephyr12 wrote:For those of you going to ASD on 4/4, I thought everyone would like to see this: http://www.law.washington.edu/Admission ... ckCase.pdf

I stumbled across it while I was looking for more information about ASD since I haven't received an e-mail or anything since I sent in my RSVP. Get started on your homework for Friday!
Looks like Sehee is all up on TLS. Four minutes after your post we receive the e-mail. Don't worry, you get credit in my book.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”