OSU Moritz c/o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pagenotfound

Re: OSU Moritz c/o 2017

Postby pagenotfound » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Finally UR today, Complete since 1/10, out of state

Mitchellcar

Postby Mitchellcar » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:51 pm

Has anyone had any success negotiating scholarships with OSU? Any increase in my scholly would help immensely but I don't want so look bad since I am only above median GPA but a hair below median LSAT.

Thanks in advance.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:56 pm

Mitchellcar wrote:Has anyone had any success negotiating scholarships with OSU? Any increase in my scholly would help immensely but I don't want so look bad since I am only above median GPA but a hair below median LSAT.

Thanks in advance.

You won't look bad, and that should not be a concern. You should negotiate, but not yet. Ideally you have some other offers to use as leverage?

Mitchellcar

Postby Mitchellcar » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:04 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Mitchellcar wrote:Has anyone had any success negotiating scholarships with OSU? Any increase in my scholly would help immensely but I don't want so look bad since I am only above median GPA but a hair below median LSAT.

Thanks in advance.

You won't look bad, and that should not be a concern. You should negotiate, but not yet. Ideally you have some other offers to use as leverage?

When is the right time to try to negotiate? Yes I have other offer but non from higher schools as of yet. Full tuition from penn state, Dayton Toledo and Akron and my schollys from cincy is bigger. Also have larger schollys from DePaul and pitt but that's out of state tuition so its still more expensive.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:12 pm

Mitchellcar wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

When is the right time to try to negotiate? Yes I have other offer but non from higher schools as of yet. Full tuition from penn state, Dayton Toledo and Akron and my schollys from cincy is bigger. Also have larger schollys from DePaul and pitt but that's out of state tuition so its still more expensive.

Those full-ride and the Cincy scholarship should sway them some. I would start negotiating in mid-March perhaps. But start the "process" so to speak now. Make them like you. Stay in touch. Ask questions. Go to the admitted student events. Get in touch w/ anyone who reaches out to you from Moritz. You want to them to want to give you money once you start negotiating, and if you already have a relationship w/ them, that will be made easier.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Mitchellcar wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Your scholly from Cincy is bigger than full tuition?

Mitchellcar

Postby Mitchellcar » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:05 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Mitchellcar wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Those full-ride and the Cincy scholarship should sway them some. I would start negotiating in mid-March perhaps. But start the "process" so to speak now. Make them like you. Stay in touch. Ask questions. Go to the admitted student events. Get in touch w/ anyone who reaches out to you from Moritz. You want to them to want to give you money once you start negotiating, and if you already have a relationship w/ them, that will be made easier.

Thanks I'll take that into consideration. I appreciate the help.

Mitchellcar

Postby Mitchellcar » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:06 pm

jk148706 wrote:
Mitchellcar wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Your scholly from Cincy is bigger than full tuition?

No I meant bigger than the osu offer. Sorry for the confusion.

cactusflower

Postby cactusflower » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:15 pm

Thanks for the email inviting me to apply, Moritz...

I've been "awaiting review" for almost a month...

Mitchellcar

Postby Mitchellcar » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:08 pm

cactusflower wrote:Thanks for the email inviting me to apply, Moritz...

With your LSAT I'm not sure why they haven't gotten back to you quicker.

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:38 pm

I'm in. Applied for the Moritz, we'll see what comes back.

I got about half tuition. Has anyone gotten much more than that?

ALSO,
I saw people talking about housing. Don't live on Chittenden, that's where they riot. Seriously. They flip cars over and light them on fire there. Gateway is overpriced, but nice and right next to the law school. There's are a lot of apartments nearby, look at west 10th and down into the Short North (but be really careful on EAST 9th and down).

osubucknut

Postby osubucknut » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:40 pm

cactusflower wrote:Thanks for the email inviting me to apply, Moritz...

Don't worry, you'll be able to celebrate your status change on St. Patrick's Day!

Mitchellcar

Postby Mitchellcar » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:02 pm

Does anyone have any experiences with the Neil Building graduate housing?

kgiaco

Postby kgiaco » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:30 am

This might have been asked before, but does anyone know how hard it is to claim ohio residency after the first year?

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:06 am

kgiaco wrote:This might have been asked before, but does anyone know how hard it is to claim ohio residency after the first year?

I haven't looked into it all that much since I'm a resident, but I get the impression it isn't too difficult.

brrrrcat

Postby brrrrcat » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:30 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
kgiaco wrote:This might have been asked before, but does anyone know how hard it is to claim ohio residency after the first year?

I haven't looked into it all that much since I'm a resident, but I get the impression it isn't too difficult.

http://registrar.osu.edu/Residency/

If I'm reading it correctly, if you're an independent student you have to have lived in Ohio for 12 months prior to the semester you want to get in state tuition. They do seem pretty stringent about not leaving the state for too long (i.e., going home to another state for the summer) to still qualify.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:33 pm

brrrrcat wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

If I'm reading it correctly, if you're an independent student you have to have lived in Ohio for 12 months prior to the semester you want to get in state tuition. They do seem pretty stringent about not leaving the state for too long (i.e., going home to another state for the summer) to still qualify.

Well if someone is going to OSU they will most likely be working in Columbus or Ohio during your summer, so I wouldn't think that'd be a huge hurdle. If a person thinks they're going to be working somewhere not in Ohio, I would recommend looking at a school other than OSU. :)

kgiaco

Postby kgiaco » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks for the info guys!

lawschool22 wrote:
brrrrcat wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Well if someone is going to OSU they will most likely be working in Columbus or Ohio during your summer, so I wouldn't think that'd be a huge hurdle. If a person thinks they're going to be working somewhere not in Ohio, I would recommend looking at a school other than OSU. :)

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:04 pm

brrrrcat wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

For the most part. There are some loopholes, though, that can cause issues. I'd recommend reaching out to Marc in law financial aid to find out exactly what you need to do and avoid in order to get in-state tuition for your last 2 years. Most out-of-state students seem to get it, though.

Mitchellcar

Postby Mitchellcar » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Does anyone know if i can apply for on campus housing (neil building) on the OSu website even if I havn't decided to go to OSU for sure? I want to make sure that I get one because they say space goes fast there, but I don't want it to bind me into anything.

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:36 pm

Mitchellcar wrote:Does anyone have any experiences with the Neil Building graduate housing?

It's fairly quiet. Decent number of graduate students. But not up to date, and fairly cramped. Also, it's the other side of campus from the law school. Maybe 6-8 blocks to walk?

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:53 pm

Just got scholly info. Ok, but def not enough to get me to attend. I have some other better offers, so I hope OSU can negotiate to make it a realistic option for me.

dwalt1

Postby dwalt1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:55 pm

Just got my scholly info as well, and I am pleasantly surprised!! Looks like I will be attending!

JJ123

Postby JJ123 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:57 pm

I talked to someone from admissions, and they stated that they usually don't re-negotiate schollies until May (!).

I think OSU does some need-based grants, too, so make sure you apply for that.

Decimus

Postby Decimus » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:03 pm

When is the Moritz decision released again? End of March? Can't remember.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”