OSU Moritz c/o 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lwoods

Re: OSU Mortiz c/o 2017

Postby Lwoods » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:19 pm

Moritz 3L if you guys have any questions. Good luck!

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Lwoods wrote:Moritz 3L if you guys have any questions. Good luck!

Are grads getting jobs?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:07 pm

jk148706 wrote:

Are grads getting jobs?

Yes.

I'd look to their job survey for the statistics; I think they tend to have an abnormally high response rate, so between that and law school transparency, you can get a pretty accurate picture of the breakdown. Obviously ITE, OSU grads aren't getting the same jobs they were getting 6 years ago to the same extent they were 6 years ago.

That said, top students still get 6th Circuit clerkships (one or two per year), district court clerkships (a handful a year), and major market Biglaw (a few in NY, maybe a couple in DC). The summer classes at Biglaw firms with offices in Columbus and Cleveland tend to be comprised of Morotz students and T14 students with Ohio ties.

Whatever students are getting Article III clerkships and Biglaw jobs are top students, but not necessarily only the tip-top. Often those who "outperform" their numbers are those with prior substantive work experience.

If you're targeting cities outside Ohio and NY, you have to hustle. Generally, it's not advisable to go to OSU if you don't want to practice in Ohio. I currently have an informal offer from my (non-NALP) summer firm in a major market far from Ohio but am networking like crazy in a secondary market, also far from Ohio. OCS has been great ime, but they don't have a ton of contacts out here.

OSU is going to be similar to IUB, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa...in that it'll get respect in the region but only mild recognition outside (for the most part). What makes Ohio stronger than those peer schools, though, is Columbus. The major companies there came out relatively well from the recent downturn, so the overall job health of the region is decent. Columbus is also the best city in the Midwest, to live, rivaled only by Chicago. (Note: I spent 8 years in NY, love big cities and love Chicago). So, if you're going to a regional school in the Midwest, I think it's the best region. Wisconsin does have that no-bar exam thing, though...

Finally, I love our OCS. I'm constantly in contact with my counselor and have gotten help from two others as well. The 3 I've worked with have particularly stellar reputations. That's not to say Moritz students aren't ever frustrated--job searching can be an emotionally exhausting process--but I do feel we get good support from OCS.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Lwoods wrote:
jk148706 wrote:

Are grads getting jobs?

Yes.

I'd look to their job survey for the statistics; I think they tend to have an abnormally high response rate, so between that and law school transparency, you can get a pretty accurate picture of the breakdown. Obviously ITE, OSU grads aren't getting the same jobs they were getting 6 years ago to the same extent they were 6 years ago.

That said, top students still get 6th Circuit clerkships (one or two per year), district court clerkships (a handful a year), and major market Biglaw (a few in NY, maybe a couple in DC). The summer classes at Biglaw firms with offices in Columbus and Cleveland tend to be comprised of Morotz students and T14 students with Ohio ties.

Whatever students are getting Article III clerkships and Biglaw jobs are top students, but not necessarily only the tip-top. Often those who "outperform" their numbers are those with prior substantive work experience.

If you're targeting cities outside Ohio and NY, you have to hustle. Generally, it's not advisable to go to OSU if you don't want to practice in Ohio. I currently have an informal offer from my (non-NALP) summer firm in a major market far from Ohio but am networking like crazy in a secondary market, also far from Ohio. OCS has been great ime, but they don't have a ton of contacts out here.

OSU is going to be similar to IUB, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa...in that it'll get respect in the region but only mild recognition outside (for the most part). What makes Ohio stronger than those peer schools, though, is Columbus. The major companies there came out relatively well from the recent downturn, so the overall job health of the region is decent. Columbus is also the best city in the Midwest, to live, rivaled only by Chicago. (Note: I spent 8 years in NY, love big cities and love Chicago). So, if you're going to a regional school in the Midwest, I think it's the best region. Wisconsin does have that no-bar exam thing, though...

Finally, I love our OCS. I'm constantly in contact with my counselor and have gotten help from two others as well. The 3 I've worked with have particularly stellar reputations. That's not to say Moritz students aren't ever frustrated--job searching can be an emotionally exhausting process--but I do feel we get good support from OCS.

Good to know. I get nervous looking at LST, but this provides at least some comfort if OSU becomes a real possibility for me.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Also to OP: It's Moritz, not Mortiz, no?

torresash14

Postby torresash14 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:52 pm

jk148706 wrote:Also to OP: It's Moritz, not Mortiz, no?

Yep, typo on my part! Quick typing :x

ashley82929

Postby ashley82929 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Lwoods wrote:
jk148706 wrote:

Are grads getting jobs?

Yes.

Thanks for this. How are the financial aid packages?

osubucknut

Postby osubucknut » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:49 am

Going to the game tomorrow and applying on Sunday! O-H

ashley82929

Postby ashley82929 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:02 am

osubucknut wrote:O-H

IO!

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:13 pm

ashley82929 wrote:

My year they weren't so great. There were 4 Moritz scholars with full tuition (out of a class of 210ish), and I think a few diversity scholarships that were somewhat generous. Otherwise, the highest scholarships were half-tuition. My year, they didn't budge with negotiations.
I think they've started offering higher amounts the last couple years, but I'm not sure to what extent. When you receive your award package, you can probably assume it won't change much. But still negotiate; it can't hurt.
The stipulations are definitely reasonable and designed to let you keep your scholarship year to year. I think the Moritz requires a 3.0 (considering only 10% of 1Ls get Cs in any class and median grades first semester would result in a 3.3, this is a pretty low bar, particularly for the academic rockstars who are awarded the Moritz). The other scholarships have 2.0 or 2.5 GPA requirements. Law school hasn't always been easy for me, but I seriously think you'd have to try to get grades that low. In theory, because the curve is generous, the entire class could have over a 2.5.

The Moritz financial aid guy, Marc, is awesome and super helpful. That's not really what you asked, but since we were on the topic of financial aid, I figured he was worth mentioning.

ETA: Actually, on second thought, Marc's awesomeness is relevant to your question. For those coming from out-of-state, it may be possible to get in-state tuition your 2L and 3L years. Marc can help you navigate that process. I worked in Ohio the year before law school, so I'm not clear on all of the requirements. I know a lot of people do it, but there are also weird road blocks (like if you buy a house with money you earned out of state or something like that). While the law school is obligated to follow the university's rules, Moritz is great at helping students wade through the bureaucratic red tape in order to save money.

ashley82929

Postby ashley82929 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:45 pm

Lwoods wrote:
ashley82929 wrote:

My year they weren't so great. There were 4 Moritz scholars with full tuition (out of a class of 210ish), and I think a few diversity scholarships that were somewhat generous. Otherwise, the highest scholarships were half-tuition. My year, they didn't budge with negotiations.
I think they've started offering higher amounts the last couple years, but I'm not sure to what extent. When you receive your award package, you can probably assume it won't change much. But still negotiate; it can't hurt.
The stipulations are definitely reasonable and designed to let you keep your scholarship year to year. I think the Moritz requires a 3.0 (considering only 10% of 1Ls get Cs in any class and median grades first semester would result in a 3.3, this is a pretty low bar, particularly for the academic rockstars who are awarded the Moritz). The other scholarships have 2.0 or 2.5 GPA requirements. Law school hasn't always been easy for me, but I seriously think you'd have to try to get grades that low. In theory, because the curve is generous, the entire class could have over a 2.5.

The Moritz financial aid guy, Marc, is awesome and super helpful. That's not really what you asked, but since we were on the topic of financial aid, I figured he was worth mentioning.

ETA: Actually, on second thought, Marc's awesomeness is relevant to your question. For those coming from out-of-state, it may be possible to get in-state tuition your 2L and 3L years. Marc can help you navigate that process. I worked in Ohio the year before law school, so I'm not clear on all of the requirements. I know a lot of people do it, but there are also weird road blocks (like if you buy a house with money you earned out of state or something like that). While the law school is obligated to follow the university's rules, Moritz is great at helping students wade through the bureaucratic red tape in order to save money.

Great, thanks for the info

tjsmms061906

Re: OSU Moritz c/o 2017

Postby tjsmms061906 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:49 pm

Dumb questions but should we expect decisions mid-December or January?

ashley82929

Postby ashley82929 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Guy in admissions told me to expect a response before Christmas. I applied early November. Someone should let us know once they hear something

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:50 pm

Should start hearing SOMETHING soon, right?

southernbelle87

Postby southernbelle87 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:11 am

ashley82929 wrote:Guy in admissions told me to expect a response before Christmas. I applied early November. Someone should let us know once they hear something

That's in line with what I was told. I applied mid-November (around the 15th) and was told I probably would hear right before Christmas or shortly after the new year.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:48 am

Still no movement.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:55 am

Same here. Nothing.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:12 pm

lawschool22 wrote:Same here. Nothing.

Looking at LSN from last cycle, decisions should come at any time. But I have seen no movement in six weeks; my application is still "ready for review." I'm not sure what the status updates were last cycle, but it seems to be slow this time.

ashley82929

Postby ashley82929 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:23 pm

Is OSU everyone's first choice?

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:24 pm

ashley82929 wrote:Is OSU everyone's first choice?

For the right price, it could be.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:27 pm

ashley82929 wrote:Is OSU everyone's first choice?

I probably won't end up here, just because of my goals. But I did at least want to see what kind of $$ I end up with. I also wanted the backup, just in case I decide I want to stay in Ohio.

futurelawstudent14

Postby futurelawstudent14 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:29 pm

I was accepted a couple weeks ago. Above median LSAT, above 75% gpa

trackstar953

Postby trackstar953 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:32 pm

Mine went to "File Completed, Under Review" yesterday (12/09)

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:35 pm

trackstar953 wrote:Mine went to "File Completed, Under Review" yesterday (12/09)

Interesting. When did you submit ?

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:36 pm

futurelawstudent14 wrote:I was accepted a couple weeks ago. Above median LSAT, above 75% gpa

When did you apply?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”