Vanderbilt Law c/o 2017 applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How Many Vanders will you Build If You Get In?

7%
33%
What?
60%

Total votes: 133

McAvoy

Re: Vanderbilt Law c/o 2017 applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby McAvoy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:18 pm

When are we to hear about scholarships, again? Next month?

ZipWhenSheMoves

Postby ZipWhenSheMoves » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:30 pm

Dominican_Lawyer wrote:Is this the last day to apply to law scholars?

Sorta. There was a "soft deadline" of Jan 13, with 7-10 day grace period. (This is from the website, and confirmed from when I called the admissions office.) So if you sent it in today I bet they'd still accept it.

gta

Postby gta » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:23 pm

Dominican_Lawyer wrote:Is this the last day to apply to law scholars?

Maybe:

Please note that January 10 is a soft deadline with a seven to ten day grace period.

ginnyvskramer

Postby ginnyvskramer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:01 pm

My decision was mailed 1/20 (MLK day), and it is being delivered to my law firm - so I can't utilize the FedEx delivery manager. Would they have entered a denial as being mailed on MLK day if the USPS is closed on that day? Is anyone else in this same boat? I'm freaking out and can't get any work done. Help!

gbelle

Postby gbelle » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:08 pm

Complete since 10/10! Killing it over here.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:20 pm

gbelle wrote:Complete since 10/10! Killing it over here.

Damn, I thought they would let us know in 8-12 weeks!

wwbeyoncedo

Postby wwbeyoncedo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:34 pm

In via fedex tracker, apparently yesterday! >75 LSAT <25 GPA. Vandy ugrad. Submitted 1/9, complete last Wednesday, so pretty quick turnaround. I did an interview back in November.

This is one of my top choices since most of my friends live in Nashville and I absolutely loved my ugrad experience there. If anyone has any questions about Nashville or Vandy in general, feel free to ask.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:41 pm

wwbeyoncedo wrote:In via fedex tracker, apparently yesterday! >75 LSAT <25 GPA. Vandy ugrad. Submitted 1/9, complete last Wednesday, so pretty quick turnaround. I did an interview back in November.

This is one of my top choices since most of my friends live in Nashville and I absolutely loved my ugrad experience there. If anyone has any questions about Nashville or Vandy in general, feel free to ask.

Congrats!

ClericalError

Postby ClericalError » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:45 pm

wwbeyoncedo wrote:In via fedex tracker, apparently yesterday! >75 LSAT <25 GPA. Vandy ugrad. Submitted 1/9, complete last Wednesday, so pretty quick turnaround. I did an interview back in November.

Congrats!

I'm going to Nashville to see the school in early February. I'm looking for something to do downtown (live show maybe?). And a good place for local food, both in downtown and near the university. Any recs?

El Cunado

Postby El Cunado » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:01 am

gbelle wrote:Complete since 10/10! Killing it over here.

This is why my 1/13 submitted application keeps me up at nights

wwbeyoncedo

Postby wwbeyoncedo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:58 am

ClericalError wrote:I'm going to Nashville to see the school in early February. I'm looking for something to do downtown (live show maybe?). And a good place for local food, both in downtown and near the university. Any recs?

Sure...I mean, realistically you could just take a cab downtown and bar hop at the Honky Tonks, they are all really fun at basically all hours of the day but especially at night. Check to see if there's a show playing at the Ryman (I'm pretty sure the Grand Ole Opry is there all season, so if you're a country fan that could be fun, but any concert is awesome there). There are other cool venues downtown (Station Inn, 3rd & Lindsley, 12th & Porter) that usually have someone cool playing, so just check the Nashville Scene website before you go and it should have all the headlining shows. Keep in mind though that Nashville is basically this hotbed of talent, even at the local bars, because everyone is trying to make it into the industry. You don't have to pay big bucks to see someone good and/or interesting.

As far as food goes...oh my god there are just so many great places. Near downtown check out City House and Husk. Closer to campus there's a ton of places in the Hillsboro village area (Fido, Cabana, McDougals), right up the road from the law school is Tavern (probably my favorite brunch ever) and then off West End is Cafe Coco, Calypso Cafe and Rotier's.

Sorry this is probably more than you wanted to know and I originally had way more food suggestions...Nashville just has the best food and night life :)

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:10 am

wwbeyoncedo wrote:
ClericalError wrote:I'm going to Nashville to see the school in early February. I'm looking for something to do downtown (live show maybe?). And a good place for local food, both in downtown and near the university. Any recs?

Sure...I mean, realistically you could just take a cab downtown and bar hop at the Honky Tonks, they are all really fun at basically all hours of the day but especially at night. Check to see if there's a show playing at the Ryman (I'm pretty sure the Grand Ole Opry is there all season, so if you're a country fan that could be fun, but any concert is awesome there). There are other cool venues downtown (Station Inn, 3rd & Lindsley, 12th & Porter) that usually have someone cool playing, so just check the Nashville Scene website before you go and it should have all the headlining shows. Keep in mind though that Nashville is basically this hotbed of talent, even at the local bars, because everyone is trying to make it into the industry. You don't have to pay big bucks to see someone good and/or interesting.

As far as food goes...oh my god there are just so many great places. Near downtown check out City House and Husk. Closer to campus there's a ton of places in the Hillsboro village area (Fido, Cabana, McDougals), right up the road from the law school is Tavern (probably my favorite brunch ever) and then off West End is Cafe Coco, Calypso Cafe and Rotier's.

Sorry this is probably more than you wanted to know and I originally had way more food suggestions...Nashville just has the best food and night life :)

Does Nashville have a good music scene for genres other than country?

ClericalError

Postby ClericalError » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:16 am

wwbeyoncedo wrote:

Thanks ww, sounds awesome, much appreciated!

KanyeShrug

Postby KanyeShrug » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:23 am

SplitMyPants wrote:Does Nashville have a good music scene for genres other than country?

36 Mafia is from Memphis, so probably. :lol:

wwbeyoncedo

Postby wwbeyoncedo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:23 am

SplitMyPants wrote:Does Nashville have a good music scene for genres other than country?

People ask me that all the time-- YES. There's country music everywhere if that's what you're into, but if not then no worries. The honky tonks all basically play the same covers, which is a little country and a lot of 70s and 80s rock (you will hear Don't Stop Believing, Wagon Wheel and Fishin' in the Dark basically at every bar with a live band on a Saturday night). But most music studios have a Nashville location and there's so many local artists that aren't mainstream country that got their start in Nashville before making it huge (Kings of Leon, Jack White and The Black Keys, for example).

Check out http://www.nashvillescene.com/ and you'll get a taste for what's going on in the Nashville music scene.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:33 am

wwbeyoncedo wrote:

People ask me that all the time-- YES. There's country music everywhere if that's what you're into, but if not then no worries. The honky tonks all basically play the same covers, which is a little country and a lot of 70s and 80s rock (you will hear Don't Stop Believing, Wagon Wheel and Fishin' in the Dark basically at every bar with a live band on a Saturday night). But most music studios have a Nashville location and there's so many local artists that aren't mainstream country that got their start in Nashville before making it huge (Kings of Leon, Jack White and The Black Keys, for example).

Check out http://www.nashvillescene.com/ and you'll get a taste for what's going on in the Nashville music scene.

Awesome! Thanks for this.

angels2fly

Postby angels2fly » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:35 am

wwbeyoncedo wrote:

This is great to hear

sims1

Postby sims1 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:07 pm

I guess I'm in since I got a fedex tracking # for a 5lb package and an email inviting me to an admitted students program.

Never received a call or email notifying me though. Do they usually just accept you via mail?

Keicar

Postby Keicar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:27 pm

--
Last edited by Keicar on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:35 pm

sims1 wrote:I guess I'm in since I got a fedex tracking # for a 5lb package and an email inviting me to an admitted students program.

Never received a call or email notifying me though. Do they usually just accept you via mail?

Congrats!

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:20 pm

Anyone know if the Law Scholars Merit Awards entail an interview invite? What if we already interviewed with an alumni for admissions?

ginnyvskramer

Postby ginnyvskramer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:36 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
sims1 wrote:I guess I'm in since I got a fedex tracking # for a 5lb package and an email inviting me to an admitted students program.

Congrats!

Did everyone who was admitted get the e-mail regarding an admitted students program prior to receiving the package?

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:38 pm

ginnyvskramer wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:

Congrats!

Did everyone who was admitted get the e-mail regarding an admitted students program prior to receiving the package?

I think the snow might have thrown things off...

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:54 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:Anyone know if the Law Scholars Merit Awards entail an interview invite? What if we already interviewed with an alumni for admissions?

I had a skype interview (in addition to earlier alumni interview) before getting it, but I don't know if this is the norm.

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:00 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:Anyone know if the Law Scholars Merit Awards entail an interview invite? What if we already interviewed with an alumni for admissions?

I had a skype interview (in addition to earlier alumni interview) before getting it, but I don't know if this is the norm.

Do you remember around when in the cycle you got the invite?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”