USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Wannabegonnabe
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Wannabegonnabe » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:14 pm

Hey guys. Do you have to fill out the FAFSA before they give you scholarship offers? I'm a 166/3.7 URM. I'm PRAYING for a scholarship.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Wannabegonnabe wrote:Hey guys. Do you have to fill out the FAFSA before they give you scholarship offers? I'm a 166/3.7 URM. I'm PRAYING for a scholarship.


lol, why are you applying to USC? Go to Yale.

User avatar
Wannabegonnabe
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Wannabegonnabe » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:52 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Wannabegonnabe wrote:Hey guys. Do you have to fill out the FAFSA before they give you scholarship offers? I'm a 166/3.7 URM. I'm PRAYING for a scholarship.


lol, why are you applying to USC? Go to Yale.


Ha! I wish. Harvard brushed me off (which fine; it's Harvard) but then MICHIGAN gave me a no-go. So I must have filled out my apps like a drunk chimpanzee or something. But USC is awesome for entertainment law. So that's where it's at for me at the moment.

str8yolked
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:56 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby str8yolked » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:00 pm

Does USC negotiate/match scholarships from UMN (full ride), Vandy, Texas?
I got 15k a year.

drevo
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby drevo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:13 pm

str8yolked wrote:Does USC negotiate/match scholarships from UMN (full ride), Vandy, Texas?
I got 15k a year.


I have no idea, but it can't really hurt to try. Vandy and Texas have similar stats so I could see how they may be competing for the same applicants. But, if you're a CA resident (especially if SoCal) I would imagine USC would see themselves at an advantage due to location and that might make them less willing to budge.

HUGE DISCLAIMER: this is 100% conjecture and just something that came to my mind.

Checkem
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:20 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Checkem » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:46 pm

Got $20k a year, 3.55, 166. People were discussing my stats earlier as someone who they were surprised to see admitted without being waitlisted, so I was glad to get this much.

I see that some people with similar stats got $25k/year. Does it make a difference if you put living with parent vs. living on/off campus on the housing form?

Still waiting on a Davis schol offer. Would they weigh competitive offers from Davis even with their recent slide in the rankings?

marphillips
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby marphillips » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:48 pm

Checkem wrote:Got $20k a year, 3.55, 166. People were discussing my stats earlier as someone who they were surprised to see admitted without being waitlisted, so I was glad to get this much.

I see that some people with similar stats got $25k/year. Does it make a difference if you put living with parent vs. living on/off campus on the housing form?

Still waiting on a Davis schol offer. Would they weigh competitive offers from Davis even with their recent slide in the rankings?


Check your spam for Davis, just in case! That's where my scholarship offer was.

User avatar
ohhdear
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:43 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ohhdear » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:54 pm

Checkem wrote:Got $20k a year, 3.55, 166. People were discussing my stats earlier as someone who they were surprised to see admitted without being waitlisted, so I was glad to get this much.

I see that some people with similar stats got $25k/year. Does it make a difference if you put living with parent vs. living on/off campus on the housing form?

Still waiting on a Davis schol offer. Would they weigh competitive offers from Davis even with their recent slide in the rankings?


Congrats! As for negotiating with a scholarship from Davis, I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility, but I'd be very surprised.

philipthegreat
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:33 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby philipthegreat » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:11 am

Man, it seems like everybody is getting money. Is USC seizing an opportunity to buy a higher ranking with applications down everywhere? They were giving out application fee waivers like woah too.

Checkem
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:20 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Checkem » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:21 am

marphillips wrote:Check your spam for Davis, just in case! That's where my scholarship offer was.

Didn't find Davis, but I did find Hastings in there. 13k/year from them.

ohhdear wrote: Congrats! As for negotiating with a scholarship from Davis, I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility, but I'd be very surprised.


Thanks! Yeah, seems like it. Especially since Hastings actually offered less. Although Davis is supposed to be more generous, and I could negotiate with them first I suppose.

User avatar
furrrman
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby furrrman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:32 am

40k/yr. 173 3.6x. Definitely a tempting offer. Makes that berk rejection sting less.

User avatar
logical seasoning
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:26 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby logical seasoning » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:32 am

120k over three years. 3.8 /167-- they like me, they really like me!

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby cron1834 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:20 am

furrrman wrote:40k/yr. 173 3.6x. Definitely a tempting offer. Makes that berk rejection sting less.


Does anybody ever know wtf is going on with Berk? I am in a holding pattern with them, USC would make me feel a little better, too.

La Cosa Nostra
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:41 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby La Cosa Nostra » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:10 pm

logical seasoning wrote:120k over three years. 3.8 /167-- they like me, they really like me!


Same here! 3.8x/166/USC ALUM
Definitely puts USC at the top of my list...we'll see if UCLA can come close

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby zman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:31 pm

cron1834 wrote:
furrrman wrote:40k/yr. 173 3.6x. Definitely a tempting offer. Makes that berk rejection sting less.


Does anybody ever know wtf is going on with Berk? I am in a holding pattern with them, USC would make me feel a little better, too.


Berkeley is one of those schools that seems to care more about the GPA. 3.6 is not high enough of them even with a 173 unless you are from a very ELITE UG.

User avatar
Black_Swan
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Black_Swan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:58 pm

Wannabegonnabe wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Wannabegonnabe wrote:Hey guys. Do you have to fill out the FAFSA before they give you scholarship offers? I'm a 166/3.7 URM. I'm PRAYING for a scholarship.


lol, why are you applying to USC? Go to Yale.


Ha! I wish. Harvard brushed me off (which fine; it's Harvard) but then MICHIGAN gave me a no-go. So I must have filled out my apps like a drunk chimpanzee or something. But USC is awesome for entertainment law. So that's where it's at for me at the moment.



Did u interview with hls?

xJD2017x
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby xJD2017x » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:16 pm

New wave of acceptanes is when?? Majority admitted are well above the median

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:41 pm

furrrman wrote:40k/yr. 173 3.6x. Definitely a tempting offer. Makes that berk rejection sting less.


Congrats, bro.

It's okay, Berkeley is TTT. Missed out on a great candidate.

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Moonlight » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:31 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
furrrman wrote:40k/yr. 173 3.6x. Definitely a tempting offer. Makes that berk rejection sting less.


Congrats, bro.

It's okay, Berkeley is TTT. Missed out on a great candidate.


Berkeley is TTT? I'm assuming that's sarcasm right? Hard to tell sometimes on this forum lol.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:40 am

Moonlight wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
furrrman wrote:40k/yr. 173 3.6x. Definitely a tempting offer. Makes that berk rejection sting less.


Congrats, bro.

It's okay, Berkeley is TTT. Missed out on a great candidate.


Berkeley is TTT? I'm assuming that's sarcasm right? Hard to tell sometimes on this forum lol.


Just trying to lessen the sting for a fellow reject (I was rejected too). Just trying to be supportive. Of course Cal isn't TTT. It is expensive as fuck at sticker though.

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Moonlight » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:55 am

ManoftheHour wrote:Just trying to lessen the sting for a fellow reject (I was rejected too). Just trying to be supportive. Of course Cal isn't TTT. It is expensive as fuck at sticker though.


Oh sorry my bad. If it helps lessen the sting, Stanford rejected me a week or so ago lol. The consolation prize as a pretty heavy cardstock rejection letter :P

You were rejected though?? You have stellar stats I believe, right? Now I'm anxious again. I'm still UR at Cal..

User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby yeslekkkk » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:22 am

Moved from Complete to Committee 1st Read on a Sunday. Awk.

User avatar
Wannabegonnabe
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Wannabegonnabe » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:42 am

Black_Swan wrote:
Wannabegonnabe wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Wannabegonnabe wrote:Hey guys. Do you have to fill out the FAFSA before they give you scholarship offers? I'm a 166/3.7 URM. I'm PRAYING for a scholarship.


lol, why are you applying to USC? Go to Yale.


Ha! I wish. Harvard brushed me off (which fine; it's Harvard) but then MICHIGAN gave me a no-go. So I must have filled out my apps like a drunk chimpanzee or something. But USC is awesome for entertainment law. So that's where it's at for me at the moment.



Did u interview with hls?


Nope. That stung a bit, but back on the horse I guess. And a wait list at UCLA. It's been a bit of a roller coaster ride recently on my end.

hopeful 0L
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:15 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby hopeful 0L » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Finally some movement. On 2nd C read as of last week after submitting about a month ago. Any idea on the typical turnaround from 2nd read to decision (it's difficult to say from this thread) ? Thanks

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Moonlight wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Just trying to lessen the sting for a fellow reject (I was rejected too). Just trying to be supportive. Of course Cal isn't TTT. It is expensive as fuck at sticker though.


Oh sorry my bad. If it helps lessen the sting, Stanford rejected me a week or so ago lol. The consolation prize as a pretty heavy cardstock rejection letter :P

You were rejected though?? You have stellar stats I believe, right? Now I'm anxious again. I'm still UR at Cal..


My actual GPA is 3.5 something. Closer to 3.6 than 3.5, but still. That's pretty low for CA schools.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, alex114, Assasindowntheavenue, BrainsyK, curry1, genjustice, guybourdin, jtawil, laowhynot109, mccracal, NotAGolfer, pandaaa, Pugnax, Sawtooth, ThorB, Yahoo [Bot] and 35 guests