USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
hellomellow
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:35 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby hellomellow » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:19 am

hweigel wrote:What email address sent the acceptance email? My status says decision finalized but I can't find an email so was going to search by sender to see if maybe I missed the email.


Is it possible that a letter is being sent in the mail at this point?

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby cron1834 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:08 am

zman wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
zman wrote:According to LSN they accepted someone with a 166 and 3.55 GPA. Last year with those stats you were either waitlisted or rejected at around this time, obviously later on some people got off the waitlist. It will open up a whole new group of people for the class of 2017 at USC.


Those numbers are both greater than the 25ths. It's not like that is a "whole new group" of people ...


Yes it is because last they were expecting to hold their 167 3.73 medians.


You do know what a "median" is, right? It doesn't mean nobody gets in with a lower number. 25% of people were 165 or below last year!

User avatar
phillywc
Posts: 3043
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby phillywc » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:11 am

cron1834 wrote:You do know what a "median" is, right? It doesn't mean nobody gets in with a lower number. 25% of people were 165 or below last year!

USC is probably losing the 167 though.

User avatar
alecks
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:24 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby alecks » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:39 pm

Isn't USC's median 166 / 3.7? Or am I missing something here?

http://lawweb.usc.edu/how/jd/classProfile.cfm

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:50 pm

alecks wrote:Isn't USC's median 166 / 3.7? Or am I missing something here?

http://lawweb.usc.edu/how/jd/classProfile.cfm


No, you are right. The above poster is using the medians from the previous year. US News does not update the medians and rankings until March I believe.

USC's median for the last class is 166.

Check this out. Great resource for this cycle:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=215104

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby cron1834 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:25 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
alecks wrote:Isn't USC's median 166 / 3.7? Or am I missing something here?

http://lawweb.usc.edu/how/jd/classProfile.cfm


No, you are right. The above poster is using the medians from the previous year. US News does not update the medians and rankings until March I believe.

USC's median for the last class is 166.

Check this out. Great resource for this cycle:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=215104


This is all credited. My point is that 166 is very-definitely not a "whole new class of people."

rstahl
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby rstahl » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:29 pm

cron1834 wrote:
zman wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
zman wrote:According to LSN they accepted someone with a 166 and 3.55 GPA. Last year with those stats you were either waitlisted or rejected at around this time, obviously later on some people got off the waitlist. It will open up a whole new group of people for the class of 2017 at USC.


Those numbers are both greater than the 25ths. It's not like that is a "whole new group" of people ...


Yes it is because last they were expecting to hold their 167 3.73 medians.


You do know what a "median" is, right? It doesn't mean nobody gets in with a lower number. 25% of people were 165 or below last year!


Right, but being below BOTH medians and getting in is a bit odd because USC knows it can only hurt their medians. People who are below one median and get in are very likely to be above the other so that they help one median, and hopefully only count as a throwaway for the other median (doesn't influence final quartile/median).

But this was all with the incorrect 167/3.73 medians. The median is now 166 so helping a school KEEP their LSAT median is reason enough for it not to be very odd. Point is moot :lol:

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby cron1834 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:32 pm

1) 166 is the median. This isn't Columbia.

2) They are happy to take $150k in money from people that are close on GPA. It's law school. Duh :D

Edit - I don't think we disagree :lol:

rstahl
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby rstahl » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:38 pm

cron1834 wrote:1) 166 is the median. This isn't Columbia.

2) They are happy to take $150k in money from people that are close on GPA. It's law school. Duh :D

Edit - I don't think we disagree :lol:


At least USC isn't stingy with scholarships. I just can't in good conscience attend if it's 150k over 3 years.

omzster67
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby omzster67 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:45 pm

Any word on scholarships?

gotsomequestions
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby gotsomequestions » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:01 pm

Complete 11/25 still... I can call now, right?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:04 pm

cron1834 wrote:2) They are happy to take $150k in money from people that are close on GPA. It's law school. Duh :D


Very true. I was just below both medians at a T-20 last cycle. I was admitted. No $ of course.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby cron1834 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:39 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
cron1834 wrote:2) They are happy to take $150k in money from people that are close on GPA. It's law school. Duh :D


Very true. I was just below both medians at a T-20 last cycle. I was admitted. No $ of course.


According to other threads, it looks like you want to do ADA (or whatever they're called in California) in CA, so good luck this year. USC or UCLA would probably be a great place for you if they show the $$.

Ally Mcbeal
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Ally Mcbeal » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:03 pm

been complete since 12/2. No movement. This is torture!!!

User avatar
LyricsToLitigation
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby LyricsToLitigation » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:04 pm

Ally Mcbeal wrote:been complete since 12/2. No movement. This is torture!!!


stats?

Ally Mcbeal
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Ally Mcbeal » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:08 pm

LyricsToLitigation wrote:
Ally Mcbeal wrote:been complete since 12/2. No movement. This is torture!!!


stats?


158 3.63 So i know this is a long shot but still

User avatar
LyricsToLitigation
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby LyricsToLitigation » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:13 pm

Ally Mcbeal wrote:
LyricsToLitigation wrote:
Ally Mcbeal wrote:been complete since 12/2. No movement. This is torture!!!


stats?


158 3.63 So i know this is a long shot but still


lol i hear ya ive been stuck on committee first review for foreverrrrr

User avatar
milkandcheerios
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby milkandcheerios » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:38 pm

final review today! Complete 1/7. How long can I except to wait for the decision?

lawyereddd
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:44 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawyereddd » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:51 pm

I was freaking out on Friday as my status checker went to Decision Finalized and I didn't receive the email saying I was in like the whole wave of people who posted on Friday. I was convinced that a rejection letter was being snail mailed and that they weren't even going to bother emailing those who got rejected. To my surprise, I got an acceptance email today around noon.

So to those freaking out because they didn't get an email... don't fret, it could still be coming :D







p.s. as we're all anxiously waiting for decisions and playing out a million different scenarios in our heads, here's a piece of advice via my grandpa: "some of the worst fates i've suffered in life never happened." it's good to try to remember that our stressing doesn't affect the committee's decision one bit. :D

User avatar
samoby
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby samoby » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:16 pm

lawyereddd wrote:I was freaking out on Friday as my status checker went to Decision Finalized and I didn't receive the email saying I was in like the whole wave of people who posted on Friday. I was convinced that a rejection letter was being snail mailed and that they weren't even going to bother emailing those who got rejected. To my surprise, I got an acceptance email today around noon.

So to those freaking out because they didn't get an email... don't fret, it could still be coming :D








p.s. as we're all anxiously waiting for decisions and playing out a million different scenarios in our heads, here's a piece of advice via my grandpa: "some of the worst fates i've suffered in life never happened." it's good to try to remember that our stressing doesn't affect the committee's decision one bit. :D


This is great advice.

User avatar
hellomellow
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:35 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby hellomellow » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:52 pm

samoby wrote:
lawyereddd wrote:I was freaking out on Friday as my status checker went to Decision Finalized and I didn't receive the email saying I was in like the whole wave of people who posted on Friday. I was convinced that a rejection letter was being snail mailed and that they weren't even going to bother emailing those who got rejected. To my surprise, I got an acceptance email today around noon.

So to those freaking out because they didn't get an email... don't fret, it could still be coming :D



I spoke to my friend who also had this happen and he said USC said their system was not able to send the emails to those with a registered gmail account but that it was supposed to be fixed today.




p.s. as we're all anxiously waiting for decisions and playing out a million different scenarios in our heads, here's a piece of advice via my grandpa: "some of the worst fates i've suffered in life never happened." it's good to try to remember that our stressing doesn't affect the committee's decision one bit. :D


This is great advice.

thesunnybunny
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:34 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby thesunnybunny » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:15 pm

hellomellow wrote:
samoby wrote:
lawyereddd wrote:I was freaking out on Friday as my status checker went to Decision Finalized and I didn't receive the email saying I was in like the whole wave of people who posted on Friday. I was convinced that a rejection letter was being snail mailed and that they weren't even going to bother emailing those who got rejected. To my surprise, I got an acceptance email today around noon.

So to those freaking out because they didn't get an email... don't fret, it could still be coming :D



I spoke to my friend who also had this happen and he said USC said their system was not able to send the emails to those with a registered gmail account but that it was supposed to be fixed today.




p.s. as we're all anxiously waiting for decisions and playing out a million different scenarios in our heads, here's a piece of advice via my grandpa: "some of the worst fates i've suffered in life never happened." it's good to try to remember that our stressing doesn't affect the committee's decision one bit. :D


This is great advice.


Love that quote. ^

User avatar
FlyingNorth
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby FlyingNorth » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:30 pm

thesunnybunny wrote:
hellomellow wrote:
samoby wrote:
lawyereddd wrote:I was freaking out on Friday as my status checker went to Decision Finalized and I didn't receive the email saying I was in like the whole wave of people who posted on Friday. I was convinced that a rejection letter was being snail mailed and that they weren't even going to bother emailing those who got rejected. To my surprise, I got an acceptance email today around noon.

So to those freaking out because they didn't get an email... don't fret, it could still be coming :D



I spoke to my friend who also had this happen and he said USC said their system was not able to send the emails to those with a registered gmail account but that it was supposed to be fixed today.




p.s. as we're all anxiously waiting for decisions and playing out a million different scenarios in our heads, here's a piece of advice via my grandpa: "some of the worst fates i've suffered in life never happened." it's good to try to remember that our stressing doesn't affect the committee's decision one bit. :D


This is great advice.


Love that quote. ^


Here, here.

User avatar
China Spy
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby China Spy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:36 pm

I am an old man and have known many a great many troubles, but most of them never happened


Is your grandpa Mark Twain?

Stella77
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Stella77 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:09 pm

Has anyone been rejected yet?? I've been under second committee review since 12/05...guessing this means I'm rejected. MAYBE waitlisted.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, arthrod, bellaboo, Bing [Bot], BodieBroadus, carlos_danger, chasima, Google Adsense [Bot], jprath2, jtn123, Kopetz, NotAGolfer, notausername, sec_undergrad, StopLawying, Thomas Hagan, ESQ., ThorB, Tomthecat and 38 guests