USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
LyricsToLitigation
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby LyricsToLitigation » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:28 pm

Attax wrote:
LyricsToLitigation wrote:Finally in review! thank the lord!

submitted 12/25
complete 1/15
1st review 1/23

median lsat with barely 25th gpa.. does anybody else smell waitlist for me? :?: :?:


I've been at 2nd review since 12/12 with <25th gpa and >median LSAT


I think you're lookin at admit with money offered, but probably not offered till they have close to the final idea of the class and you have put down a deposit (obviously just conjecture but with your numbers I could see that happening!)

User avatar
Lebrarian_Booker
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:52 pm

LyricsToLitigation wrote:
Attax wrote:
LyricsToLitigation wrote:Finally in review! thank the lord!

submitted 12/25
complete 1/15
1st review 1/23

median lsat with barely 25th gpa.. does anybody else smell waitlist for me? :?: :?:


I've been at 2nd review since 12/12 with <25th gpa and >median LSAT


I think you're lookin at admit with money offered, but probably not offered till they have close to the final idea of the class and you have put down a deposit (obviously just conjecture but with your numbers I could see that happening!)



...you think that based on what?

csargean
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby csargean » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Hey all. I was admitted 12/23 and got an admittance packet, but still no word on scholarship money. Is it safe to say that I am not getting any money and would it be appropriate to try and negotiate at this point, given that i've been given scholarships at peer schools? Thank you.

rstahl
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby rstahl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:02 pm

csargean wrote:Hey all. I was admitted 12/23 and got an admittance packet, but still no word on scholarship money. Is it safe to say that I am not getting any money and would it be appropriate to try and negotiate at this point, given that i've been given scholarships at peer schools? Thank you.


Hello again. I haven't been admitted (yet!), but what I would do in your situation is call their admissions department and say...

"What is your policy of notifying admitted students of financial scholarships? When is that done in the process?"

Very broad and general and you should get a straight answer. Then you have your answer as to whether or not you should negotiate.

EDIT: I just went ahead and called. Got transferred twice and didn't get a more direct answer than "sometime shortly after being accepted". I have failed :(
Last edited by rstahl on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby zman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:05 pm

csargean wrote:Hey all. I was admitted 12/23 and got an admittance packet, but still no word on scholarship money. Is it safe to say that I am not getting any money and would it be appropriate to try and negotiate at this point, given that i've been given scholarships at peer schools? Thank you.


They haven't sent out aid packages yet but how much you will get is purely based on merits(stats) not anything else.

csargean
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby csargean » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:10 pm

zman wrote:
csargean wrote:Hey all. I was admitted 12/23 and got an admittance packet, but still no word on scholarship money. Is it safe to say that I am not getting any money and would it be appropriate to try and negotiate at this point, given that i've been given scholarships at peer schools? Thank you.


They haven't sent out aid packages yet but how much you will get is purely based on merits(stats) not anything else.


Oh, I wasn't aware that scholarship info hadn't gone out yet. Yeah I know that scholarships are purely merit based, however they do say that they will reconsider their initial offer if you have competitive offers from peer schools.

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby angels2fly » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:11 pm

I think they are waiting to see who submits a rothman app

Ally Mcbeal
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Ally Mcbeal » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Been complete since 12/2. No movement. Obviously they hate me.

User avatar
furrrman
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby furrrman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Been on 2nd review since 12/5, got an update 1/24 still 2nd review though. Any idea on what this means?

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby cron1834 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:03 pm

angels2fly wrote:I think they are waiting to see who submits a rothman app


In the sense that not applying could damage your chances, bc of a perceived lack of interest? Or did you mean something else? I was really turned off by the language in the Rothman instructions, but I did have the thought that it doesn't look good not to apply...

ETA, I didn't apply.

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby angels2fly » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:12 pm

cron1834 wrote:
angels2fly wrote:I think they are waiting to see who submits a rothman app


In the sense that not applying could damage your chances, bc of a perceived lack of interest? Or did you mean something else? I was really turned off by the language in the Rothman instructions, but I did have the thought that it doesn't look good not to apply...

ETA, I didn't apply.


Not completely sure. I think interest may come into play but from conversations with admins at USC it seems that the adcomms and the scholarship committees are insulated. I was not a fan of the language nor did I think the instructions for the essay were straightforward but I submitted something.

User avatar
Carter1901
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:32 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Carter1901 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:56 pm

angels2fly wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
angels2fly wrote:I think they are waiting to see who submits a rothman app


In the sense that not applying could damage your chances, bc of a perceived lack of interest? Or did you mean something else? I was really turned off by the language in the Rothman instructions, but I did have the thought that it doesn't look good not to apply...

ETA, I didn't apply.


Not completely sure. I think interest may come into play but from conversations with admins at USC it seems that the adcomms and the scholarship committees are insulated. I was not a fan of the language nor did I think the instructions for the essay were straightforward but I submitted something.


Hmmm this is good to know. I was assuming that USC was using the Rothman app as something of a YP tool - I'm over 75th for both and I've been sitting at "final review" for a couple of weeks now. Went ahead and threw them an app; mainly just hoping to demonstrate interest. Doubt I'm competitive for the scholarship. Agreed that the prompt was pretty weak.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1920
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby cron1834 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:09 pm

The truth is, some folks will get 6 figures of scholarship offers independent of the Rothman. So, if you aren't necessarily into Biglawing it up at Skadden, then nbd. I guess :|

boosane
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:37 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby boosane » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:02 am

Hey guys I've been on 1st committee read since 1/16. Any idea what this could mean?

User avatar
LyricsToLitigation
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby LyricsToLitigation » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:27 am

boosane wrote:Hey guys I've been on 1st committee read since 1/16. Any idea what this could mean?


same as u basically lol
my buddy has been stuck on second since over a week ago lol. I think it means we at least aren't auto accept or auto reject candidates which is good and bad lol

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Moonlight » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:34 am

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LyricsToLitigation
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby LyricsToLitigation » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:35 am

Moonlight wrote:
boosane wrote:Hey guys I've been on 1st committee read since 1/16. Any idea what this could mean?


I'm on the same status. Not sure if it's good or bad.


Best - Avatar - Ever. It somehow reminds me of the california raisins lol. whats your avatar from?

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Moonlight » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:38 am

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vexed
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Vexed » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:57 am

Also on CR1 1/16... their status checker info seems to indicate that means it's the 1st of 2 reads, or in some instances, the only read before a final decision is drawn. No idea what circumstances dictate either, especially given that it's late in the cycle.

User avatar
LoveforLaw341
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 3:47 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby LoveforLaw341 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:20 am

Checking in! (Kind of) I feel a ding headed my way. I submitted January 6th and was in committee second review by the 16th! Still waiting there but seeing as I am below their 25th LSAT and above their 75% GPA threshold I have a feeling I am about to feel the sting of a shitty LSAT score. I wrote a legitimate addendum and very compelling adversity statement (at least according to the professors I asked to read it and other admissions officers from schools that admitted me) but in the end, I know it's a numbers game. Does anyone care to provide me with any false hope when it comes to a speedy evaluation with a late application?

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Moonlight » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:35 am

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LyricsToLitigation
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby LyricsToLitigation » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:35 am

Moonlight wrote:
LoveforLaw341 wrote:Checking in! (Kind of) I feel a ding headed my way. I submitted January 6th and was in committee second review by the 16th! Still waiting there but seeing as I am below their 25th LSAT and above their 75% GPA threshold I have a feeling I am about to feel the sting of a shitty LSAT score. I wrote a legitimate addendum and very compelling adversity statement (at least according to the professors I asked to read it and other admissions officers from schools that admitted me) but in the end, I know it's a numbers game. Does anyone care to provide me with any false hope when it comes to a speedy evaluation with a late application?


Well I applied in October and got under review into 1st committee on the same date you did? Does that help? Although we're in the same boat on a bad LSAT relative to GPA. I'm above their 75th for GPA as well but below for LSAT.


Cali schools do love their GPA students lol. Keep faith!

jacklei
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:22 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby jacklei » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:53 am

Moonlight wrote:
LoveforLaw341 wrote:Checking in! (Kind of) I feel a ding headed my way. I submitted January 6th and was in committee second review by the 16th! Still waiting there but seeing as I am below their 25th LSAT and above their 75% GPA threshold I have a feeling I am about to feel the sting of a shitty LSAT score. I wrote a legitimate addendum and very compelling adversity statement (at least according to the professors I asked to read it and other admissions officers from schools that admitted me) but in the end, I know it's a numbers game. Does anyone care to provide me with any false hope when it comes to a speedy evaluation with a late application?


Well I applied in October and got under review into 1st committee on the same date you did? Does that help? Although we're in the same boat on a bad LSAT relative to GPA. I'm above their 75th for GPA as well but below for LSAT.


I'm a reverse splitter and got in. There's hope!

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Moonlight » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:03 am

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moonlight
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Moonlight » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:04 am

Content Deleted.
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”