USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
almostthere1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:49 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby almostthere1 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:36 am

njdevils2626 wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
fallingwater wrote:
cron1834 wrote:There is going to be some movement on $$ and WL between April 21 and May 1. FYI.


What makes you say that?


Phone conversation with admissions. PM if interested in details.


I guess at this point I'm hoping to hear back after April 21 since it appears everyone recently is being dinged/WLed. I'm still chillin' at CR1 on 3/31 so it looks like I've got tons of time to go still, unfortunately



+1

User avatar
emitremmus
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:28 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby emitremmus » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:28 pm

"Please note that typically scholarship funds have been exhausted by the time we admit applicants from the waitlist. You should therefore keep that in mind as you consider placement on the waitlist."

:shock:

Ride it out for over a quarter million $$$ debt?! Sound appealing to anyone?

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby zman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:40 pm

emitremmus wrote:"Please note that typically scholarship funds have been exhausted by the time we admit applicants from the waitlist. You should therefore keep that in mind as you consider placement on the waitlist."

:shock:

Ride it out for over a quarter million $$$ debt?! Sound appealing to anyone?



last year people people were getting 75,000 and 60,000 off the waitlist minimum, It's all about how many they think will submit deposits and enroll.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:53 pm

I'm not sure if anyone else have posted this, but is anyone concerned after looking at this?:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/usc/2013/

If you remove the school funded positions, the LTFT bar passaged required position rate is only at 56.8%.

dobie1
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby dobie1 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:55 pm

Also WL...I think I'll stay on for a little while. No harm I suppose.

xJD2017x
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby xJD2017x » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:57 pm

emitremmus wrote:"Please note that typically scholarship funds have been exhausted by the time we admit applicants from the waitlist. You should therefore keep that in mind as you consider placement on the waitlist."

:shock:

Ride it out for over a quarter million $$$ debt?! Sound appealing to anyone?



I dont think anyone is dumb enough to go USC at sticker, they must know that. It's not stanford or yale :D

On ther other hand all sorts of people still go at sticker to hastings, loyola, irvine and peperdine so you never know.

xJD2017x
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby xJD2017x » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:00 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else have posted this, but is anyone concerned after looking at this?:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/usc/2013/

If you remove the school funded positions, the LTFT bar passaged required position rate is only at 56.8%.



A lot of those industry jobs that are not bar required pay a lot more than small firms and USC usually plays a ton of people which hurts on LST. They should emphasize salary over bar passage required.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:03 pm

xJD2017x wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else have posted this, but is anyone concerned after looking at this?:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/usc/2013/

If you remove the school funded positions, the LTFT bar passaged required position rate is only at 56.8%.



A lot of those industry jobs that are not bar required pay a lot more than small firms and USC usually plays a ton of people which hurts on LST. They should emphasize salary over bar passage required.


I understand that, but it's still kind of scary since the figure is so close to just half. I would think most people go to law school with the intention of you know, becoming an attorney (or having some kind of legal job). It's fine if you end up doing mid to high level consulting, but I'm not sure if that's why most people go to law school. After all, the T-14s all have extremely high rates. I don't think it's because kids at USC want those legal jobs any less.

xJD2017x
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby xJD2017x » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:06 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
xJD2017x wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else have posted this, but is anyone concerned after looking at this?:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/usc/2013/

If you remove the school funded positions, the LTFT bar passaged required position rate is only at 56.8%.



A lot of those industry jobs that are not bar required pay a lot more than small firms and USC usually plays a ton of people which hurts on LST. They should emphasize salary over bar passage required.


I understand that, but it's still kind of scary since the figure is so close to just half. I would think most people go to law school with the intention of you know, becoming an attorney (or having some kind of legal job). It's fine if you end up doing mid to high level consulting, but I'm not sure if that's why most people go to law school. After all, the T-14s all have extremely high rates. I don't think it's because kids at USC want those legal jobs any less.


yeah I agree but if they pay more money than firms with 10,15 people you got to take them.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby zman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:16 pm

USC allowed it's class size from its usuall 195-205 to almost 240, you can't do that in california and not get hit, it was so crowded this year. I dont think they will graduate more than 195 with transfers for the 2014-2017 class.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby zman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:21 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
xJD2017x wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else have posted this, but is anyone concerned after looking at this?:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/usc/2013/

If you remove the school funded positions, the LTFT bar passaged required position rate is only at 56.8%.



A lot of those industry jobs that are not bar required pay a lot more than small firms and USC usually plays a ton of people which hurts on LST. They should emphasize salary over bar passage required.


I understand that, but it's still kind of scary since the figure is so close to just half. I would think most people go to law school with the intention of you know, becoming an attorney (or having some kind of legal job). It's fine if you end up doing mid to high level consulting, but I'm not sure if that's why most people go to law school. After all, the T-14s all have extremely high rates. I don't think it's because kids at USC want those legal jobs any less.



over half of the law school funded jobs are part time and dont count as LTFT bar passaged required at USC meaning it already counts so you can't subtract it much more.
Last edited by zman on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:24 pm

zman wrote:USC allowed it's class size from its usuall 195-205 to almost 240, you can't do that in california and not get hit, it was so crowded this year. I dont think they will graduate more than 195 with transfers for the 2014-2017 class.


Excellent point. A few of the other CA schools (like Davis) slashed their class size significantly (I believe Davis slashed their last class size by 25%!). I think last fall only 175 enrolled at USC.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby zman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:30 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
zman wrote:USC allowed it's class size from its usuall 195-205 to almost 240, you can't do that in california and not get hit, it was so crowded this year. I dont think they will graduate more than 195 with transfers for the 2014-2017 class.


Excellent point. A few of the other CA schools (like Davis) slashed their class size significantly (I believe Davis slashed their last class size by 25%!). I think last fall only 175 enrolled at USC.



Davis according to LST was about as good USC this year but is it really? NO. You would get 100% score at LST if you had everyone employed at a small firm making 35,000 for at least one year(counts as full time).

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:52 pm

zman wrote:
Davis according to LST was about as good USC this year but is it really? NO. You would get 100% score at LST if you had everyone employed at a small firm making 35,000 for at least one year(counts as full time).


Unquestionably no, if you're considering the double big law rate.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby zman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:23 pm

Some weird waitlists. Median LSAT, above median GPA according to LSN. I just keep thinking with the median coming down from 167 to 166 they have so many more options this year as oppose to last year when they tried to defend the 167 but couldn't.

User avatar
njdevils2626
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby njdevils2626 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:56 pm

zman wrote:Some weird waitlists. Median LSAT, above median GPA according to LSN. I just keep thinking with the median coming down from 167 to 166 they have so many more options this year as oppose to last year when they tried to defend the 167 but couldn't.


I'm in the opposite boat, hoping that they are desperately searching for high LSATs

kokoshes
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:21 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby kokoshes » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:43 pm

Dinged.

Checking out.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1918
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby cron1834 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Some important jobs discussion here. 56.8% is frightening, but that cohort had 220 incoming 1Ls, a number which has dropped 3 straight years to 175 last fall. At a smaller school that's a huge swing. I'm really torn here, because I have a tremendous offer, but 60-some percent of students don't get Biglaw and 30some percent don't get lawyer jobs. That scares me ...

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:11 pm

cron1834 wrote:Some important jobs discussion here. 56.8% is frightening, but that cohort had 220 incoming 1Ls, a number which has dropped 3 straight years to 175 last fall. At a smaller school that's a huge swing. I'm really torn here, because I have a tremendous offer, but 60-some percent of students don't get Biglaw and 30some percent don't get lawyer jobs. That scares me ...


It's a great school if the price is right.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby zman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:13 pm

cron1834 wrote:Some important jobs discussion here. 56.8% is frightening, but that cohort had 220 incoming 1Ls, a number which has dropped 3 straight years to 175 last fall. At a smaller school that's a huge swing. I'm really torn here, because I have a tremendous offer, but 60-some percent of students don't get Biglaw and 30some percent don't get lawyer jobs. That scares me ...


it's over 60% because the law school funded jobs(the part time jobs which acount for over half) are already discounted.

xJD2017x
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby xJD2017x » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:16 pm

Who hasn't heard yet??

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3398
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:30 pm

zman wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Some important jobs discussion here. 56.8% is frightening, but that cohort had 220 incoming 1Ls, a number which has dropped 3 straight years to 175 last fall. At a smaller school that's a huge swing. I'm really torn here, because I have a tremendous offer, but 60-some percent of students don't get Biglaw and 30some percent don't get lawyer jobs. That scares me ...


it's over 60% because the law school funded jobs(the part time jobs which acount for over half) are already discounted.


No they're not (at least not the full time ones). That's why there's the asterisk. If you hover over it, it says "4.2% of this score comes from in school funded jobs."

User avatar
njdevils2626
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby njdevils2626 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:35 pm

xJD2017x wrote:Who hasn't heard yet??


*raises hand*

xJD2017x
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby xJD2017x » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:49 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
xJD2017x wrote:Who hasn't heard yet??


*raises hand*


Probably a ding at this point.

User avatar
krispymenudo
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: USC c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby krispymenudo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:53 pm

xJD2017x wrote:Who hasn't heard yet??



me




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, Beercules, carlos_danger, Cognitiveproblem, Ithinkican, lillawyer2, Nobiggie, proteinshake, Snowjon, xnsch and 19 guests