George Washington C/O 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
haus
Posts: 2836
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby haus » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:41 pm

amglanyc wrote:How many of us are still waiting for an initial decision? Complete since mid January.

Still waiting. (Late app, near deadline)

Smer45
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:37 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby Smer45 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:43 pm

haus wrote:
amglanyc wrote:How many of us are still waiting for an initial decision? Complete since mid January.

Still waiting. (Late app, near deadline)


Complete since 2/14. Still waiting.

ConLawNerd91
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby ConLawNerd91 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:29 pm

amglanyc wrote:How many of us are still waiting for an initial decision? Complete since mid January.


Me, similar complete date.

User avatar
deuceindc
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby deuceindc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:35 pm

singftw wrote:
mec246 wrote:I would wait until Friday to send it. They seem to be telling everyone who attempts to solicit scholarship money that they have not finished distributing merit money, and you should wait to ask for reconsideration until the last round of offers go out.


But isn't there a risk of them running out of money? ._.


Not really.

"Merit scholarships" are, by and large, not backed by endowments, as conventional scholarships are. Merit scholarships are just discounts off of the listed tuition, with the balance being picked up by the rest of the enrolling students. Paul Campos does a better job of explaining it on LGM, but the bottom line is that schools can always give you a bigger discount -- it's just a matter of you having the GPA/LSAT for them to justify it.

That said, there are certain preferable times to be considered for merit aid. For example, a lot of merit aid frees up right after a deposit deadline, as some students who've been extended such offers don't accept them.

User avatar
fratstar1
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby fratstar1 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:57 pm

deuceindc wrote:
singftw wrote:
mec246 wrote:I would wait until Friday to send it. They seem to be telling everyone who attempts to solicit scholarship money that they have not finished distributing merit money, and you should wait to ask for reconsideration until the last round of offers go out.


But isn't there a risk of them running out of money? ._.


Not really.

"Merit scholarships" are, by and large, not backed by endowments, as conventional scholarships are. Merit scholarships are just discounts off of the listed tuition, with the balance being picked up by the rest of the enrolling students. Paul Campos does a better job of explaining it on LGM, but the bottom line is that schools can always give you a bigger discount -- it's just a matter of you having the GPA/LSAT for them to justify it.

That said, there are certain preferable times to be considered for merit aid. For example, a lot of merit aid frees up right after a deposit deadline, as some students who've been extended such offers don't accept them.



So, in keeping with this line of thinking, in order to get at some of this "freed up aid" would I have to put down an initial deposit, and then after the deadline immediately ask?

User avatar
Yazzzay
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby Yazzzay » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:08 pm

ConLawNerd91 wrote:
amglanyc wrote:How many of us are still waiting for an initial decision? Complete since mid January.


Me, similar complete date.


Same. Similar complete date and no date changes. I really want any response now. I'm one of very few on LSN at my complete date still waiting.

User avatar
deuceindc
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby deuceindc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:42 pm

fratstar1 wrote:
deuceindc wrote:
singftw wrote:
mec246 wrote:I would wait until Friday to send it. They seem to be telling everyone who attempts to solicit scholarship money that they have not finished distributing merit money, and you should wait to ask for reconsideration until the last round of offers go out.


But isn't there a risk of them running out of money? ._.


Not really.

"Merit scholarships" are, by and large, not backed by endowments, as conventional scholarships are. Merit scholarships are just discounts off of the listed tuition, with the balance being picked up by the rest of the enrolling students. Paul Campos does a better job of explaining it on LGM, but the bottom line is that schools can always give you a bigger discount -- it's just a matter of you having the GPA/LSAT for them to justify it.

That said, there are certain preferable times to be considered for merit aid. For example, a lot of merit aid frees up right after a deposit deadline, as some students who've been extended such offers don't accept them.



So, in keeping with this line of thinking, in order to get at some of this "freed up aid" would I have to put down an initial deposit, and then after the deadline immediately ask?


That would actually weaken your position.

Since GWU has an April 1 deadline for admits with merit aid offers and an April 15 deadline for those without, they will reallocate the unclaimed merit aid after the first deadline (someone please correct me if these dates are wrong, I can't log in to the admits website ATM). This is why the canned response to merit aid requests is "we hope to extend more aid offers after April 10" - they'll know how many of the first-round merit aid offers were accepted and how many discounts they can give out to the no-merit-aid pool.

If you've already deposited when they make the second-round offers, they know they've got their hooks in you -- that's not to say they won't offer you any merit aid, but you've already shown that you're ready to punch your ticket at full tuition, so they have less of an incentive to offer you any merit aid. On the other hand, if you've asked for merit aid but haven't gotten any, they know that you're interested and that giving you a discount on tuition might move you into the "deposited" column.

Make sense?

User avatar
anna8506
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby anna8506 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:47 pm

fratstar1 wrote:
deuceindc wrote:
singftw wrote:
mec246 wrote:I would wait until Friday to send it. They seem to be telling everyone who attempts to solicit scholarship money that they have not finished distributing merit money, and you should wait to ask for reconsideration until the last round of offers go out.




"Merit scholarships" are, by and large, not backed by endowments, as conventional scholarships are. Merit scholarships are just discounts off of the listed tuition, with the balance being picked up by the rest of the enrolling students. Paul Campos does a better job of explaining it on LGM, but the bottom line is that schools can always give you a bigger discount -- it's just a matter of you having the GPA/LSAT for them to justify it.

That said, there are certain preferable times to be considered for merit aid. For example, a lot of merit aid frees up right after a deposit deadline, as some students who've been extended such offers don't accept them.



So, in keeping with this line of thinking, in order to get at some of this "freed up aid" would I have to put down an initial deposit, and then after the deadline immediately ask?


That would actually weaken your position.

Since GWU has an April 1 deadline for admits with merit aid offers and an April 15 deadline for those without, they will reallocate the unclaimed merit aid after the first deadline (someone please correct me if these dates are wrong, I can't log in to the admits website ATM). This is why the canned response to merit aid requests is "we hope to extend more aid offers after April 10" - they'll know how many of the first-round merit aid offers were accepted and how many discounts they can give out to the no-merit-aid pool.

If you've already deposited when they make the second-round offers, they know they've got their hooks in you -- that's not to say they won't offer you any merit aid, but you've already shown that you're ready to punch your ticket at full tuition, so they have less of an incentive to offer you any merit aid. On the other hand, if you've asked for merit aid but haven't gotten any, they know that you're interested and that giving you a discount on tuition might move you into the "deposited" column.

Make sense?


Good explanation!

santaclus
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby santaclus » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:16 pm

Anyone else get a call from a professor asking if they have any questions? I got one earlier today and am trying to gauge if that would would indicate heightened interest in my attendance and hence a better position for negotiating scholarship money (haven't heard anything yet on that front, but I am a PT applicant, so did not have high hopes to begin with.)

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby jk148706 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:56 am

Tried negotiating, and was told any additional money would come after the deposit deadline.

Withdrew $$ today. Hope it goes to you all. Good luck

Nuj
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby Nuj » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:59 pm

Got into GW last week, still waiting for my envelope.

Got the email a day after the online status changed.

waiting_game
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby waiting_game » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Nuj wrote:Got into GW last week, still waiting for my envelope.

Got the email a day after the online status changed.


same, also no scholly info yet--i'm hoping that's with the snail mail because im wary of GW at sticker...

User avatar
dcapu003
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby dcapu003 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:23 pm

santaclus wrote:Anyone else get a call from a professor asking if they have any questions? I got one earlier today and am trying to gauge if that would would indicate heightened interest in my attendance and hence a better position for negotiating scholarship money (haven't heard anything yet on that front, but I am a PT applicant, so did not have high hopes to begin with.)

Yes, I did! I hope it does, as I'm hoping to receive more money as well

User avatar
mes10d
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby mes10d » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:28 pm

To those awaiting scholarship info, it took 2 weeks for my email to come after my acceptance email. Hope that helps.

To those already in with $ and/or who are negotiating -- let's say GW gave me x in total scholarship funds. Would a full ride from WUSTL, and x+9 from Emory cause GW to up their ante? All opinions appreciated - thanks!
(x for anonymity, PM if otherwise interested)

Drockafeller
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:32 am

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby Drockafeller » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:26 pm

Talked to GW's admission staff today. They said the final round of merit scholarships won't be out until next week now.

Man the waiting game is tough. If I don't get money, I'm debating between sticker price at GW and $20k a year at Catholic (PT - so $80k total). I don't plan to practice and will stay in government relations/working on the Hill so I'm flexible on schools. I work in health care though and GW has a better program in that regard.

The Dark Shepard
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:49 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby The Dark Shepard » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:52 pm

But if we get $ next week we still have to deposit by the 1st? Ugh

User avatar
gbelle
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby gbelle » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:17 am

The Dark Shepard wrote:But if we get $ next week we still have to deposit by the 1st? Ugh

User avatar
yossarian
Posts: 1303
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby yossarian » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:21 am

gbelle wrote:
The Dark Shepard wrote:But if we get $ next week we still have to deposit by the 1st? Ugh

Nuj
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby Nuj » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:18 pm

waiting_game wrote:
Nuj wrote:Got into GW last week, still waiting for my envelope.

Got the email a day after the online status changed.


same, also no scholly info yet--i'm hoping that's with the snail mail because im wary of GW at sticker...



Got my envelope today, it looks super ostentatious. No scholly info inside though, sounds like I'm screwed.

User avatar
Yazzzay
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby Yazzzay » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:21 am

Does GW generally get back to people by April 1? Been waiting nearly 3 months...looks like LSN has very few rejections sent out so wondering if they send most out this last week of March or what's going on.

hayleyw44
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:52 am

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby hayleyw44 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:13 pm

Anyone taking the train to DC from NYC March 27th??

mathwhiz87
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:44 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby mathwhiz87 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:41 am

Drockafeller wrote:Talked to GW's admission staff today. They said the final round of merit scholarships won't be out until next week now.

Man the waiting game is tough. If I don't get money, I'm debating between sticker price at GW and $20k a year at Catholic (PT - so $80k total). I don't plan to practice and will stay in government relations/working on the Hill so I'm flexible on schools. I work in health care though and GW has a better program in that regard.


I feel like it's the run-around on when they're sending out final notifications. If you read back, they keep telling everyone different dates.

I refuse to derail this thread with advice except this: go read about job placements at the two schools and do your research. Only you know the details of your situation.

waiting_game
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby waiting_game » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Nuj wrote:Got my envelope today, it looks super ostentatious. No scholly info inside though, sounds like I'm screwed.


lol. that IS one ridiculously beautiful acceptance packet. sounds like we're in the exact same boat Nuj. do you think you'll contact them about schollys this week or wait a bit longer? i was thinking of waiting till Apr 1st (since there'll hopefully be money to redistribute) or maybe bringing it up with some current students at preview day... anyone have thoughts/advice concerning this?

ConLawNerd91
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby ConLawNerd91 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:49 pm

For those of us who still haven't heard and applied 8+ weeks ago, is the consensus that we're waitlisted/rejected?

User avatar
catsinboxes
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby catsinboxes » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:55 pm

ConLawNerd91 wrote:For those of us who still haven't heard and applied 8+ weeks ago, is the consensus that we're waitlisted/rejected?

I applied late December and my checker has been stuck at 1/16. I'm pretty much expecting a rejection any day now...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests