George Washington C/O 2017 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
inyoureyes89

New

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Post by inyoureyes89 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:11 am

are they done with the scholarships? mid-jan admit, nothing yet :(

all i got was the email addressed to ##Preferred Name##. lol.

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:40 am

jdc_in_dc wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:Apartments in DC are definitely not $800-$1100 unless you're looking in a less-than-safe area. Even in the suburbs, apartments are more expensive than that.

Also, the above poster brings up a relevant point. If you want to save money, finding a 3 BR townhouse and splitting the rent is a good option. You might actually manage <$1000 per month if you do it that way.

I'm just speaking from experience of friends who Live in Foggy Bottom, West End, and Columbia Heights. Places like the Winston House, Claridge House, and the Savoy. Safe area, the apartments aren't the nicest places on earth, but they aren't bad either.
You can't speak from experience "of friends"...that doesn't make any sense. The Winston House is one of the most expensive apartment buildings in D.C. and the Savoy is $1500+ for a small studio.

checkin2014

New

Post by checkin2014 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:14 am

inyoureyes89 wrote:are they done with the scholarships? mid-jan admit, nothing yet :(

+1
Waiting for scholarship.
And I definitely need some seriously $$ to go for GW. The COL is so high!!!

jdc_in_dc

New

Post by jdc_in_dc » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:18 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
jdc_in_dc wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:Apartments in DC are definitely not $800-$1100 unless you're looking in a less-than-safe area. Even in the suburbs, apartments are more expensive than that.

Also, the above poster brings up a relevant point. If you want to save money, finding a 3 BR townhouse and splitting the rent is a good option. You might actually manage <$1000 per month if you do it that way.

I'm just speaking from experience of friends who Live in Foggy Bottom, West End, and Columbia Heights. Places like the Winston House, Claridge House, and the Savoy. Safe area, the apartments aren't the nicest places on earth, but they aren't bad either.
You can't speak from experience "of friends"...that doesn't make any sense. The Winston House is one of the most expensive apartment buildings in D.C. and the Savoy is $1500+ for a small studio.
Haha well my boyfriend lived in the Winston for a year and he only paid 900 a month. He lived in a 2bedroom though, not a studio.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:33 pm

jdc_in_dc wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:
jdc_in_dc wrote:

Haha well my boyfriend lived in the Winston for a year and he only paid 900 a month. He lived in a 2bedroom though, not a studio.
Looking online it seems the Winston goes for $1'600+ for a studio and a 2-bedroom for $3'000-3'600ish...sounds like he got a hell of a deal...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheNextAmendment

Bronze

Post by TheNextAmendment » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:36 pm

Yazzzay wrote:
jdc_in_dc wrote: Haha well my boyfriend lived in the Winston for a year and he only paid 900 a month. He lived in a 2bedroom though, not a studio.
Looking online it seems the Winston goes for $1'600+ for a studio and a 2-bedroom for $3'000-3'600ish...sounds like he got a hell of a deal...
This is exactly why it is important for people to research beyond TLS. Anyways...good luck 0Ls- I hope the rest of your cycles go well, and hope to see many of you next Fall. Going to GW Law was one of the best decisions I ever made, and I hope you all have a similar experience.

anna8506

Bronze

Post by anna8506 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:45 pm

inyoureyes89 wrote:are they done with the scholarships? mid-jan admit, nothing yet :(

I am in the same boat.

xmking07

New

Post by xmking07 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:12 pm

anna8506 wrote:

I am in the same boat.
from what I hear they give out scholarship offers in waves. The first wave has been given out as of early Feb. Wait it out and see.

thatgingergirl

New

Post by thatgingergirl » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:52 pm

Okay so the first scholarship wave was that first full week in February. Has anyone received any scholarship news since then.
I called last week and was told by admissions to submit a letter of reconsideration if I didn't hear by the end of February, and the end of February is quickly approaching.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anna8506

Bronze

Post by anna8506 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:36 pm

xmking07 wrote:
anna8506 wrote:

I am in the same boat.
from what I hear they give out scholarship offers in waves. The first wave has been given out as of early Feb. Wait it out and see.
Thank you! GW is too pricey to go at sticker.

inyoureyes89

New

Post by inyoureyes89 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:07 am

do any GW law students live in baltimore and commute? it's pretty easy to get to union station from there, and bmore is a much cheaper city.

terrapinjetta

New

Post by terrapinjetta » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:10 am

inyoureyes89 wrote:do any GW law students live in baltimore and commute? it's pretty easy to get to union station from there, and bmore is a much cheaper city.
+1?

Ambi-Turner

Bronze

Post by Ambi-Turner » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:22 am

terrapinjetta wrote:
inyoureyes89 wrote:do any GW law students live in baltimore and commute? it's pretty easy to get to union station from there, and bmore is a much cheaper city.
+1?
I went to GW undergrad, and there's no way in hell I'd try to commute from Baltimore. Don't let DC's COL freak you out. You can find cheap places in the city if you look hard enough. I lived in a shared apartment in Columbia Heights for $700/month, and I have friends who live in townhouses in the SW Waterfront and Eastern Market for $600/month. My S/O lives in a townhouse with awesome roommates in Shaw for $700/month. It's absolutely doable as long as you're willing to use Craigslist and aren't easily discouraged.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cactusflower

Bronze

Post by cactusflower » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:06 pm

For whatever reason, I can never get my GW status checker to load on my work computer, even when manually copying and pasting the address...

Anyone else have this issue?

terrapinjetta

New

Post by terrapinjetta » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:27 pm

cactusflower wrote:For whatever reason, I can never get my GW status checker to load on my work computer, even when manually copying and pasting the address...

Copy and paste the address you use

JRO1989

Bronze

Post by JRO1989 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:38 pm

terrapinjetta wrote:
cactusflower wrote:For whatever reason, I can never get my GW status checker to load on my work computer, even when manually copying and pasting the address...

I had that issue. Now I just go to the website and go apply-apply to JD program-check status

cactusflower

Bronze

Post by cactusflower » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:40 pm

JRO1989 wrote:
terrapinjetta wrote:

I had that issue. Now I just go to the website and go apply-apply to JD program-check status
PERFECT, thank you!!!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pauly_biegler

Bronze

Post by pauly_biegler » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:10 pm

c'mon GW, show me the money

ldlamb

New

Post by ldlamb » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:13 pm

I don't know about law students, but I lived in baltimore for awhile and I knew plenty of people that made the commute for work.

Lebrarian_Booker

Silver

Post by Lebrarian_Booker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Does GW give any sort of travel stipend for ASW?

terrapinjetta

New

Post by terrapinjetta » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:17 pm

Anybody have a complete date before 12/20?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gerrydawg

Bronze

Post by gerrydawg » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:44 pm

terrapinjetta wrote:Anybody have a complete date before 12/20?
12/16.

ayqueriiica

New

Post by ayqueriiica » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:11 pm

Re: people wondering about commute to DC from Baltimore, travel costs, etc.

I went to GW as an undergrad (still undecided about going for law, waiting to hear about $$$!!!), and while the Baltimore commute is technically doable, I can only imagine it would be exhausting and expensive to do on a daily basis. I had friends who lived in the Silver Spring-ish area senior year, and while their rent was cheaper than in the city, the commute was a nightmare (heads-up to those moving to DC- expect frequent, inexplicable, and infuriating metro delays haha). I had a few professors who traveled from Baltimore because they would teach part time at Johns Hopkins or U Maryland, but I never heard of a full-time student doing it.

Also (more of my two cents, sorry) I agree with the other GW alum who mentioned living in the Eastern Market area instead. While living in the Foggy Bottom vicinity is definitely convenient, you'll end up spending way more. I made the mistake of living in an off campus apt last year in Foggy, and while I liked being able to stop by my place in between classes/for lunch or whatever, I spent twice as much as friends who rented a townhouse in Eastern Market (which is on the same metro line as GW, so commuting doesn't take forever either). If price isn't an issue, then by all means check out Foggy and the surrounding area which is really nice. Otherwise, you could probably find something much cheaper in Eastern Market, Columbia heights, etc by searching the magical world of craigslist.

mathwhiz87

New

Post by mathwhiz87 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:40 pm

Re: scholarship information:

I was told there were two waves of offers: one that happened in Mid-January, the second that happens in mid-February. She also said that if you don't receive anything by the end of March, you could submit a letter for reconsideration.

checkin2014

New

Post by checkin2014 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:10 am

mathwhiz87 wrote:Re: scholarship information:

I was told there were two waves of offers: one that happened in Mid-January, the second that happens in mid-February. She also said that if you don't receive anything by the end of March, you could submit a letter for reconsideration.
Was there a second wave already? Or we're still waiting?
Admitted last week and didn't hear anything regarding scholarship. Is this normal?
I thought they may send emails about it but nothing yet. :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”