George Washington C/O 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
singftw

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby singftw » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:12 pm

Did anyone negotiate for scholarship increases after April 15?

chizzy

Postby chizzy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Last edited by chizzy on Thu May 01, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

schmooky

Postby schmooky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:25 pm

Last edited by schmooky on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

mes10d

Postby mes10d » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:26 am

Dredd_2017 wrote:In today, no mention of scholarship offer in the email. Does that come later with the packet they say they're mailing?

My decision will be based almost entirely on scholly versus peer schools, and reading the last few posts it doesn't look promising. Still, I'll update when I hear something.

LSAT > 75th
GPA < 25th

Scholarship info usually comes in an email 2-3 weeks after the admittance email. Fingers crossed for ya!

mes10d

Postby mes10d » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:36 am

singftw wrote:Did anyone negotiate for scholarship increases after April 15?

I deposited on 4/1 because I already had ~50% scholly from GW, and sent an email a week later re: my better offers. If we're going to say the total amount offered by GW was x, then the total amount offered by Emory was x + 9, and the total amount offered by WUSTL was x + 75 (full ride). I cited recent c/o '13 job stats and significantly lower COL, and reinforced how much I loved GW and would attend if I could get more $. A week later, they sent me an email confirming the recipient of my email, and stated they'd review my request and get back to me "as soon as possible". Given my relatively free undergraduate experience & personal finances, I knew I'd be fine with 50% scholly at GW, and consequently didn't deposit anywhere else come 4/15. This past Monday, they emailed and increased my scholly by 15k.

tl;dr I negotiated before and after April 15, I guess, considering the whole negotiation process took ~2 weeks. It seems like they care more about offers from Emory vs offers from WUSTL (probably due to region and NY placement?). It honestly went as predicted, so I'm pretty happy. Good luck to everyone else; PM for exact numbers or any Qs! (I wanted to keep the numbers anonymous on the off chance they like to lurk...)

DaysToGo

Postby DaysToGo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:02 am

I received an unsolicited email from GW about a scholarship (I didn't receive a scholarship before the deposit deadline and never solicited one) this week. They offered me some money, but not near enough to get me to attend considering I received way better offers from peer schools. They gave me until 4/30 to accept this scholarship. I also didn't even bother to deposit on 4/15, which I assumed was an automatic withdrawal, but apparently it isn't. GW is probably hurting for numbers. Anyone else receive a similar email?

santaclus

Postby santaclus » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:24 am

DaysToGo wrote:I received an unsolicited email from GW about a scholarship (I didn't receive a scholarship before the deposit deadline and never solicited one) this week. They offered me some money, but not near enough to get me to attend considering I received way better offers from peer schools. They gave me until 4/30 to accept this scholarship. I also didn't even bother to deposit on 4/15, which I assumed was an automatic withdrawal, but apparently it isn't. GW is probably hurting for numbers. Anyone else receive a similar email?

Same here, I applied to the part-time program. The offer was still a fair bit lower than the other ones I've had.

Question Everything

Postby Question Everything » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:55 pm

santaclus wrote:
DaysToGo wrote:I received an unsolicited email from GW about a scholarship (I didn't receive a scholarship before the deposit deadline and never solicited one) this week. They offered me some money, but not near enough to get me to attend considering I received way better offers from peer schools. They gave me until 4/30 to accept this scholarship. I also didn't even bother to deposit on 4/15, which I assumed was an automatic withdrawal, but apparently it isn't. GW is probably hurting for numbers. Anyone else receive a similar email?

Same here, I applied to the part-time program. The offer was still a fair bit lower than the other ones I've had.

Do you mind sharing your numbers, Santa? I only applied to GW part-time as well and was hoping for a scholarship, but no love.

warplan

Postby warplan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:38 am

Did anyone get out of a wait list and receive an admission?
Do you know when it is started?

chizzy

Postby chizzy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:57 pm

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:17 pm

Has anyone still not heard anything at all.......

1/16 complete

chizzy

Postby chizzy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:30 pm

Quan292

Postby Quan292 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:53 pm

singftw wrote:Did anyone negotiate for scholarship increases after April 15?

before the 15th I tried to get any type of merit $ possible and they denied me. After I sent an e-mail saying that I won't deposit yet but would like to still be considered for aid. A week ago they sent me a package for 7k a year.
Not enough to make me want to deposit but still something.

hello26

Postby hello26 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Did anyone else on the waitlist get an email yesterday asking if you're still interested?

theMasterofBiotech

Postby theMasterofBiotech » Wed May 07, 2014 4:38 pm

hello26 wrote:Did anyone else on the waitlist get an email yesterday asking if you're still interested?

yup, we've been chatting about it here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=227311

jacketyellow

Postby jacketyellow » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:47 pm

I recently could not pay the second deposit to GW on time. I emailed about this and received this in response:

If you intend to enroll at GW this fall, we are willing to set up an individualized payment plan for you. For this option, you will be required to sign a commitment form showing your intent to enroll and your agreement to the payment terms that we decide upon. Also, we will require that you make a deposit of at least $250 by 5:00pm on Friday, June 13th. If you would like to set up a payment for both your second and third deposit, we are willing to do that as well. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

If I accept this option will I have to drop out from the wait lists at several other schools? The wording makes it seem like I will have to withdraw from waitlists. I hope not. Can anyone shed some light on this?

JMCSpartan08

Postby JMCSpartan08 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:25 pm

jacketyellow wrote:I recently could not pay the second deposit to GW on time. I emailed about this and received this in response:

If you intend to enroll at GW this fall, we are willing to set up an individualized payment plan for you. For this option, you will be required to sign a commitment form showing your intent to enroll and your agreement to the payment terms that we decide upon. Also, we will require that you make a deposit of at least $250 by 5:00pm on Friday, June 13th. If you would like to set up a payment for both your second and third deposit, we are willing to do that as well. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

If I accept this option will I have to drop out from the wait lists at several other schools? The wording makes it seem like I will have to withdraw from waitlists. I hope not. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Sounds to me like they would ask you to withdraw. I'm not sure if they can hold you to that or enforce it in anyway but it seems like they're only willing to help you out as far as paying the deposit insofar as you make a commitment to attend.

amglanyc

Postby amglanyc » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:34 pm

In via email!

Delighted!!!

IWillAuditYou

Postby IWillAuditYou » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:52 pm

Congrats! Full- or part-time?

amglanyc

Postby amglanyc » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:55 pm

IWillAuditYou wrote:Congrats! Full- or part-time?

Full time

sup3rman

Postby sup3rman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:21 pm

Last edited by sup3rman on Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

mec246

Postby mec246 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:41 pm

sup3rman wrote:Has anyone looked for housing yet? What's a good location while keeping rent low?

I feel like GW Law has been relatively quiet on the information for admitted students -- no facebook group, no 2L or 3L is following up with info on housing, questions, etc...

Any tips would be great! Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GWULAW2017/

fLaw School Bound

Postby fLaw School Bound » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:44 pm

sup3rman wrote:Has anyone looked for housing yet? What's a good location while keeping rent low?

I feel like GW Law has been relatively quiet on the information for admitted students -- no facebook group, no 2L or 3L is following up with info on housing, questions, etc...

Hey Sup3rman, rising 2L at GW here. If if I'm remembering correctly you should be invited to join a facebook page for your class fairly soon. As far as housing, the school is located in pretty mush the most expensive part of the city. I stayed at the Aston ("on-campus" housing about 6 blocks from school) my first year. It's very expensive for what you get (roughly $1950 a month for a small studio apartment (decent kitchen though). The upshot being that your housing is secured, they take the rent out of your student loan, no deposit, no utilities, no roommates. Living with 100 other law students is a mixed bag. You'll make some friends there, never want for a study group, and there's a good social scene. On the other hand, sometimes there's a little too much of a social scene, and during the reading period before finals you can just about feel the tension flowing through the hallways. I lucked out and had a quiet corner room, but some people complained of noise.

As far as other housing, lots of 1Ls live in foggy bottom for the convenience factor, but its extremely expensive. You can go just across the river to Rosslyn (one five minute metro stop from the university, in Virginia) and pay about 500-600 less for a nicer place in a good neighborhood. Another five minutes down the blue line metro puts you in Pentagon City/Crystal City (where I live), where you'll shave off another couple hundred bucks. Same for five minutes down the orange line in Ballston. Alternatively, Columbia heights, Adams Morgan and U street are popular with students. Can find some good rents there, fun, young neighborhoods.. but transit means either transferring between trains or having to hoof it a bit.

If you have any other questions hit me up. In fact if anyone here has questions email me at ghenderson@law.gwu.edu. I know I drove the 2Ls, 3Ls and GW staff crazy with the amount of questions I asked and figure its probably good karma to help others out.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:36 am

fLaw School Bound wrote:

Hey Sup3rman, rising 2L at GW here. If if I'm remembering correctly you should be invited to join a facebook page for your class fairly soon. As far as housing, the school is located in pretty mush the most expensive part of the city. I stayed at the Aston ("on-campus" housing about 6 blocks from school) my first year. It's very expensive for what you get (roughly $1950 a month for a small studio apartment (decent kitchen though). The upshot being that your housing is secured, they take the rent out of your student loan, no deposit, no utilities, no roommates. Living with 100 other law students is a mixed bag. You'll make some friends there, never want for a study group, and there's a good social scene. On the other hand, sometimes there's a little too much of a social scene, and during the reading period before finals you can just about feel the tension flowing through the hallways. I lucked out and had a quiet corner room, but some people complained of noise.

As far as other housing, lots of 1Ls live in foggy bottom for the convenience factor, but its extremely expensive. You can go just across the river to Rosslyn (one five minute metro stop from the university, in Virginia) and pay about 500-600 less for a nicer place in a good neighborhood. Another five minutes down the blue line metro puts you in Pentagon City/Crystal City (where I live), where you'll shave off another couple hundred bucks. Same for five minutes down the orange line in Ballston. Alternatively, Columbia heights, Adams Morgan and U street are popular with students. Can find some good rents there, fun, young neighborhoods.. but transit means either transferring between trains or having to hoof it a bit.

If you have any other questions hit me up. In fact if anyone here has questions email me at ghenderson@law.gwu.edu. I know I drove the 2Ls, 3Ls and GW staff crazy with the amount of questions I asked and figure its probably good karma to help others out.

Good work here "G." I'd also add NoMa to the mix of options. We pay less than the aston for a larger 1BR in a luxury building.

Nep11

Postby Nep11 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:04 pm

Still waiting on my response. I applied as a transfer. Anyone else?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”