George Washington C/O 2017

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BentleyLittle

Re: George Washington C/O 2017

Postby BentleyLittle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:04 pm

waiting_game wrote:
Nuj wrote:Got my envelope today, it looks super ostentatious. No scholly info inside though, sounds like I'm screwed.

lol. that IS one ridiculously beautiful acceptance packet. sounds like we're in the exact same boat Nuj. do you think you'll contact them about schollys this week or wait a bit longer? i was thinking of waiting till Apr 1st (since there'll hopefully be money to redistribute) or maybe bringing it up with some current students at preview day... anyone have thoughts/advice concerning this?

I would contact them now. I asked them to reconsider giving me no aid. The person responded and informed me that they would revisit offers after April 1st "for students that have expressed a continued interest in GW".

glackinjp

Postby glackinjp » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:59 pm

Sent in my application on 1/3 with my most recent complete date stuck at 1/16. No movement since then. Kind of getting anxious at this point especially when I have to make a decision relatively soon, anybody else in the same boat?

firesail

Postby firesail » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:05 pm

I don't want to make anyone feel dread but I applied March 1st and got my acceptance on March 12th. I got waitlisted at American. Haven't heard back from Gtown which I applied ED to.

zienhal

Postby zienhal » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:26 pm

glackinjp wrote:Sent in my application on 1/3 with my most recent complete date stuck at 1/16. No movement since then. Kind of getting anxious at this point especially when I have to make a decision relatively soon, anybody else in the same boat?

Same with me. Sent in on 1/7 and date stuck at 1/16. Misery enjoys company.

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:19 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:
waiting_game wrote:
Nuj wrote:Got my envelope today, it looks super ostentatious. No scholly info inside though, sounds like I'm screwed.

lol. that IS one ridiculously beautiful acceptance packet. sounds like we're in the exact same boat Nuj. do you think you'll contact them about schollys this week or wait a bit longer? i was thinking of waiting till Apr 1st (since there'll hopefully be money to redistribute) or maybe bringing it up with some current students at preview day... anyone have thoughts/advice concerning this?

I would contact them now. I asked them to reconsider giving me no aid. The person responded and informed me that they would revisit offers after April 1st "for students that have expressed a continued interest in GW".

So everyone knows that they aren't going to negotiate until after April 1. They've made that pretty clear. But I went ahead and wrote my letter explaining my situation and included all of my other superior scholarship offers and sent it in, because I'm attending ASD and didn't think I'd have time to do it this weekend. They still sent me a shitty response about how they aren't doing increases right now, but might by mid-April. Really? No kidding! But I still have to send you my stuff, sorry it got in before April 1. Yeesh!

I don't know guys...I was super stoked on GW at the beginning of the cycle and now I feel like they better really knock my socks off this weekend, because right now, I'm unimpressed.

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:17 pm

zienhal wrote:
glackinjp wrote:Sent in my application on 1/3 with my most recent complete date stuck at 1/16. No movement since then. Kind of getting anxious at this point especially when I have to make a decision relatively soon, anybody else in the same boat?

Same with me. Sent in on 1/7 and date stuck at 1/16. Misery enjoys company.

Same. 1/16 forevz.

nyctibboy

Postby nyctibboy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:19 pm

XO_MissCourtney wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:
waiting_game wrote:

So everyone knows that they aren't going to negotiate until after April 1. They've made that pretty clear. But I went ahead and wrote my letter explaining my situation and included all of my other superior scholarship offers and sent it in, because I'm attending ASD and didn't think I'd have time to do it this weekend. They still sent me a shitty response about how they aren't doing increases right now, but might by mid-April. Really? No kidding! But I still have to send you my stuff, sorry it got in before April 1. Yeesh!

I don't know guys...I was super stoked on GW at the beginning of the cycle and now I feel like they better really knock my socks off this weekend, because right now, I'm unimpressed.

Yeah, pretty much the same thing happened to me as well. I was disappointed with their reply as well. They didn't ask for proof of my other scholarships or anything which every other school has done. They just said they'll will get back to me by April 10th. I'm really hoping they have something good to offer. Does anyone know if a deposit must be made before April 1st to be able to negotiate scholarships? I know if you are offered one, you have to make the April 1st deadline to secure it but what about people that haven't been offered but are trying to get?

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:24 pm

They must know I don't want to go here. 9k? Ahaha withdrawing.

deuceindc

Postby deuceindc » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:28 pm

nyctibboy wrote:Yeah, pretty much the same thing happened to me as well. I was disappointed with their reply as well. They didn't ask for proof of my other scholarships or anything which every other school has done. They just said they'll will get back to me by April 10th. I'm really hoping they have something good to offer. Does anyone know if a deposit must be made before April 1st to be able to negotiate scholarships? I know if you are offered one, you have to make the April 1st deadline to secure it but what about people that haven't been offered but are trying to get?

April 15 deposit deadline applies. They'll see who's deposited by April 1 and figure out how much aid went unclaimed -- they'll give that out to people in the $0-initial-offer pool.

amglanyc

Postby amglanyc » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:22 pm

Is there any reason to expect any decisions this week? Or, is it more likely that they will wait until after the seat deposit deadline to make decisions?

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:25 pm

deuceindc wrote:
nyctibboy wrote:Yeah, pretty much the same thing happened to me as well. I was disappointed with their reply as well. They didn't ask for proof of my other scholarships or anything which every other school has done. They just said they'll will get back to me by April 10th. I'm really hoping they have something good to offer. Does anyone know if a deposit must be made before April 1st to be able to negotiate scholarships? I know if you are offered one, you have to make the April 1st deadline to secure it but what about people that haven't been offered but are trying to get?

April 15 deposit deadline applies. They'll see who's deposited by April 1 and figure out how much aid went unclaimed -- they'll give that out to people in the $0-initial-offer pool.

But what about for people who've been offered scholarships? Can I not deposit by April 1st and still ask for more money after that date? Hmmmm

ChicagoDawg

Postby ChicagoDawg » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:50 am

altoid99 wrote:
deuceindc wrote:

But what about for people who've been offered scholarships? Can I not deposit by April 1st and still ask for more money after that date? Hmmmm

The unimpressive response I got from the admissions office after trying to negotiate (in which they didn't bother to spell my 4 letter name right :| ) said this:

"If you would like to claim your current scholarship award and reserve a seat in our entering class then you must submit your $500 tuition deposit by April 1st. We will still consider you for an increased award, but regardless of the outcome, you will at a minimum have your original scholarship. If we do not receive your tuition deposit by April 1st, we cannot guarantee your original award should the Committee be unable to award you an increased scholarship."

Basically, they're saying chance it if you want to, but no promises you'll get anything if you don't submit a seat deposit...

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:56 am

ChicagoDawg wrote:
altoid99 wrote:
deuceindc wrote:

The unimpressive response I got from the admissions office after trying to negotiate (in which they didn't bother to spell my 4 letter name right :| ) said this:

"If you would like to claim your current scholarship award and reserve a seat in our entering class then you must submit your $500 tuition deposit by April 1st. We will still consider you for an increased award, but regardless of the outcome, you will at a minimum have your original scholarship. If we do not receive your tuition deposit by April 1st, we cannot guarantee your original award should the Committee be unable to award you an increased scholarship."

Basically, they're saying chance it if you want to, but no promises you'll get anything if you don't submit a seat deposit...

That is so unfortunate. If other schools are able to increase scholarship offers, there is no reason why GW can't before some arbitrary date they've designated. Also, they can definitely guarantee my original award. Why the hell would they not be able to? They're clearly after our deposit money so that they at least have some leverage when negotiating later on.

Not to suggest other schools are innocent, but GW seems very corporatist and profit-driven. It's kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:13 am

ChicagoDawg wrote:
altoid99 wrote:
deuceindc wrote:

Yeah, I withdrew the day after receiving this same email

ChicagoDawg

Postby ChicagoDawg » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:36 am

ChicagoDawg wrote:
altoid99 wrote:
deuceindc wrote:
nyctibboy wrote:

That is so unfortunate. If other schools are able to increase scholarship offers, there is no reason why GW can't before some arbitrary date they've designated. Also, they can definitely guarantee my original award. Why the hell would they not be able to? They're clearly after our deposit money so that they at least have some leverage when negotiating later on.

Not to suggest other schools are innocent, but GW seems very corporatist and profit-driven. It's kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yea... I was really excited the day I was accepted, but their clear disinterest is quickly turning me away.

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:20 pm

First rejection of the cycle. Why they had to wait nearly 3 months to decide, idk, but at least the wait is finally over.

Good luck to those still waiting.

amglanyc

Postby amglanyc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:23 pm

Wait-listed moments ago. This is my first choice. I will ride this thing until the bitter end.

Marquis

Postby Marquis » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:27 pm

Wait-listed just a few mins ago.

Lebrarian_Booker

Postby Lebrarian_Booker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:27 pm

I'm going to not deposit and just ask for more money. I already have "an offer you can't refuse" type offer from a higher ranked school. For me to consider GW I would need close to full ride if not actually a full ride. It's a bold strategy, but I'm just gonna lay my cards on the table and let them figure it out. Won't be heartbroken if they tell me to F off, near full ride at higher ranked and all...

mathwhiz87

Postby mathwhiz87 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:40 pm

altoid99 wrote:
ChicagoDawg wrote:
altoid99 wrote:
deuceindc wrote:

+1

When I visited for my tour (as an admitted student), no one from admissions said hello or introduced themselves, and I had to ask the receptionist about the disbursement of scholarship information. Everything there just seemed off...

bumamamaia

Postby bumamamaia » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:52 pm

got my rejection letter and I'm a little surprised but not disappointed. glad I finally i have an answer from them. getting more money from other places anyways.

hk227

Postby hk227 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Waitlisted a couple of minutes ago. Not sure how hard I should try or if I should retake and reapply next cycle...

BlackCanary

Postby BlackCanary » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:04 pm

Dinged. I'm slightly surprised at my indifference to this news as I really did like them. Maybe it's because I just got out of yoga.

PhenomenalWoman

Postby PhenomenalWoman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:06 pm

For everyone with decisions today, did your status checker date/status change?

BunkerRush

Postby BunkerRush » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:16 pm

Current Status: Decision Made
Current Status Date: 3/27/2014

Are there any tricks to find out if you got accepted? Still no email... :shock:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”