William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pauly_biegler

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby pauly_biegler » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:26 pm

Marquis wrote:Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to get Virginia residency for 2nd and 3rd year tuition purposes?

+1

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:29 pm

Those trying to negotiate aid, you have to remember that WM is a PUBLIC law school. Meaning that your tuition dollars is what makes it run, they cant hand out breaks to everyone.

awoodard

Postby awoodard » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:34 pm

Marquis wrote:Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to get Virginia residency for 2nd and 3rd year tuition purposes?

From http://law.wm.edu/admissions/cost/ :

"Eligibility for in-state tuition at both the undergraduate and graduate level at William & Mary is determined by §23-7.4 of the Code of Virginia. The Code specifies that you must demonstrate your residency in Virginia for at least one year immediately preceding the first day of classes and an intent to remain in Virginia indefinitely."

Virginia is notoriously difficult to gain residency for tuition purposes, given the number of highly regarded public institutions they have in VA. from this, I'd say it's nearly impossible, but I'd call to ask, or find someone who has been successful in doing it, if you can.

adbuckley

Postby adbuckley » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:30 pm

Marquis wrote:
copperboom22 wrote:
Marquis wrote:I posted this in the merit aid thread, but didn't get a response so I thought I'd check to see if any W&M hopefuls had any insight on my situation. Last week I wrote a polite, artfully-worded email to William & Mary inquiring about the possibility of additional merit aid. I told them why W&M was one of my top choices. They responded immediately requesting offers from the competing schools I cited. I sent the letters and they seemed very open to the idea of negotiating. Then, yesterday, I got this email back from the Dean:

Good Morning ____,

We remain excited with your application and interest in William & Mary Law School. Congratulations on your credentials which resulted in the offer of admission! Your request for additional funds awarded by William & Mary has been reviewed. You remain on the list for continued consideration should additional funds become available. Currently, you have the _____ scholarship aid awarded in the letter dated ____, 2014. As a top ranked public law school, William & Mary remains a bargain when compared to most law schools in terms of both tuition and cost of living.

Know that we hope you will be among those we welcome to William & Mary Law School in August as a member of the Class of 2017.

Is this just their polite way of giving me a firm no and closing the door on the subject? Or should I read this to mean that I may be actually eligible for more merit aid closer to the deposit deadline (which I think is 4/15) when they have a clearer picture of who will be accepting offers? If the answer is the latter, should I just keep quiet and hope that I hear from them, or is a follow-up email in a few weeks appropriate? I'm already replied with a polite "thank you for your time and consideration" email.

This makes me sad. I just wrote a first draft of an email I'm planning to send to W&M trying to negotiate aid and was planning to send it sometime this week or next. I've read in some threads from past years that people have been successful in getting an additional $4-$5k ( I can't remember if that's per year or total, I've been meaning to check but I would assume per year). I'm wondering if maybe it's still too early this year for them to add on to existing scholarships, or if they don't add on to existing scholarships of a certain amount? What was your existing offer and what schools did you use to negotiate, if you don't mind me asking?

I PM'd you the specifics.

It's certainly possible that it's just too early. I mean, if you take the text of the reply at face value it certainly doesn't sound like a shutdown or even a no. I'm just paranoid and OCD about these things because deadlines are coming up.

I got the exact same response, verbatim, its not just you :?

underwood15

Postby underwood15 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:33 pm

knope34 wrote:If it makes anyone feel better, I was a reverse splitter with (what I feel are) strong softs and good essays/LOR. I received my decision in about ten days after submitting at the end of January with a scholarship. There is hope!

When did you receive the scholarship? I received my acceptance packet last week, but did not get any scholly info.

jen6886

Postby jen6886 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:49 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
Attax wrote:And finally admitted! Woohoo!

Congrats! Were you at any time on "hold" during the process?

Congrats!

Yes were you on hold and would you mind if i asked ur stats? you could PM me if you want.

gerrydawg

Postby gerrydawg » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:52 pm

For those of you who have received scholarships and are out-of-state, did anybody get more than 6k? You can PM me if you'd like. In addition, for those who received Graduate Fellowships, did anybody receive more than a 4k stipend?

Thanks in advance.

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:53 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
Attax wrote:And finally admitted! Woohoo!

Congrats! Were you at any time on "hold" during the process?

My status checker never said hold, but I was held until I submitted last semester's grades, which I did back in January (applied 11/30) and just now heard back.

pauly_biegler

Postby pauly_biegler » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:57 pm

gerrydawg wrote:For those of you who have received scholarships and are out-of-state, did anybody get more than 6k? You can PM me if you'd like. In addition, for those who received Graduate Fellowships, did anybody receive more than a 4k stipend?

Thanks in advance.

Got 12k a year out of state, no stipend.

spunkyjoe

Postby spunkyjoe » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:14 pm

10k a year, out of state.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:21 pm

spunkyjoe wrote:10k a year, out of state.

Were you ever on hold?

spunkyjoe

Postby spunkyjoe » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:29 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:

Were you ever on hold?

No, I went straight from Complete, to Review, to Accepted. Took about 2 weeks total.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:30 pm

spunkyjoe wrote:
Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:

Were you ever on hold?

No, I went straight from Complete, to Review, to Accepted. Took about 2 weeks total.

Ughhhhhh

izzlelay

Postby izzlelay » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:36 pm

gerrydawg wrote:For those of you who have received scholarships and are out-of-state, did anybody get more than 6k? You can PM me if you'd like. In addition, for those who received Graduate Fellowships, did anybody receive more than a 4k stipend?

Thanks in advance.

I believe I received 9k/year with the 4k Graduate Fellowship... but being out-of-state that just brings the cost down to in-state tuition and the fellowship just adds work to the already heavy 1L load :/ definitely not enough to make me move across the country! (Cali-resident) I did recently get into ASU, do you think they will consider negotiating schollys with their scholarship offer?

Marquis

Postby Marquis » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:39 pm

awoodard wrote:

"Eligibility for in-state tuition at both the undergraduate and graduate level at William & Mary is determined by §23-7.4 of the Code of Virginia. The Code specifies that you must demonstrate your residency in Virginia for at least one year immediately preceding the first day of classes and an intent to remain in Virginia indefinitely."

Virginia is notoriously difficult to gain residency for tuition purposes, given the number of highly regarded public institutions they have in VA. from this, I'd say it's nearly impossible, but I'd call to ask, or find someone who has been successful in doing it, if you can.

I'll call them and ask because that bolded line seems very vague to me. How do you demonstrate intent and what is an accurate barometer for whether your intent is legitimate or acceptable? I mean, if my wife moves to VA with me and we get a place then that must signal that I'm trying to make a long-term home there.

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:00 pm

Marquis wrote:
awoodard wrote:

I'll call them and ask because that bolded line seems very vague to me. How do you demonstrate intent and what is an accurate barometer for whether your intent is legitimate or acceptable? I mean, if my wife moves to VA with me and we get a place then that must signal that I'm trying to make a long-term home there.

That's not usually enough. If your wife got a full time job, you both got VA drivers licenses, you enrolled your children in VA schools, etc., that is usually the kind of thing you're looking for. Your wife would obviously come with you even if it was only for 3 years, so that usually doesn't qualify in stricter states.

Marquis

Postby Marquis » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:49 pm

PattyCake wrote:
Marquis wrote:
awoodard wrote:

That's not usually enough. If your wife got a full time job, you both got VA drivers licenses, you enrolled your children in VA schools, etc., that is usually the kind of thing you're looking for. Your wife would obviously come with you even if it was only for 3 years, so that usually doesn't qualify in stricter states.

Thanks for the insight. Everything on that list is gonna happen anyway, except the kids. Kids won't be happening until much later because we're both still pretty young and I'll be graduating with debt. But she'll be working full-time and we'll both get VA D/Ls asap. Guess I'll have to hope that's enough...

slayer47

Postby slayer47 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:39 pm

Do we think there will likely be a wave of decisions this week? I'm in the hold group, and William and Mary is my number one choice. The stress is starting to drive me crazy!!! I really want to be able to move forward but I feel like I'm stuck until I get this decision.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:40 pm

slayer47 wrote:Do we think there will likely be a wave of decisions this week? I'm in the hold group, and William and Mary is my number one choice. The stress is starting to drive me crazy!!! I really want to be able to move forward but I feel like I'm stuck until I get this decision.

1) Nice avatar

2) I sure hope so.

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:49 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
slayer47 wrote:Do we think there will likely be a wave of decisions this week? I'm in the hold group, and William and Mary is my number one choice. The stress is starting to drive me crazy!!! I really want to be able to move forward but I feel like I'm stuck until I get this decision.

1) Nice avatar

2) I sure hope so.

+1 Superb avatar.

underwood15

Postby underwood15 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:55 pm

izzlelay wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I believe I received 9k/year with the 4k Graduate Fellowship... but being out-of-state that just brings the cost down to in-state tuition and the fellowship just adds work to the already heavy 1L load :/ definitely not enough to make me move across the country! (Cali-resident) I did recently get into ASU, do you think they will consider negotiating schollys with their scholarship offer?

How do you check your scholarship amount? in the MyWM portal?

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:18 pm

Marquis wrote:
PattyCake wrote:That's not usually enough. If your wife got a full time job, you both got VA drivers licenses, you enrolled your children in VA schools, etc., that is usually the kind of thing you're looking for. Your wife would obviously come with you even if it was only for 3 years, so that usually doesn't qualify in stricter states.

Thanks for the insight. Everything on that list is gonna happen anyway, except the kids. Kids won't be happening until much later because we're both still pretty young and I'll be graduating with debt. But she'll be working full-time and we'll both get VA D/Ls asap. Guess I'll have to hope that's enough...

Those were only examples, I just mean that you have to show them something that indicates you won't be leaving after school - that your intention is to settle there permanently. For example, purchasing a home (or, hypothetically, taking a 5-year lease) rather than renting on 12-month lease terms is the kind of thing they're looking for. Their in-state tuition is designed to produce educated individuals who will then live in VA and pay VA state taxes (and therefore contribute to the next generation of students to benefit from those tuition breaks), and who will make VA more economically competitive. If you're going to leave after school it defeats the purpose of the program. Also, the budget for those funds has been severely reduced over the last few years. I'm not sure if the slowly improving VA economy will mean those restrictions will be loosened, but I would guess not.

Marquis

Postby Marquis » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:33 pm

PattyCake wrote:
Marquis wrote:
PattyCake wrote:That's not usually enough. If your wife got a full time job, you both got VA drivers licenses, you enrolled your children in VA schools, etc., that is usually the kind of thing you're looking for. Your wife would obviously come with you even if it was only for 3 years, so that usually doesn't qualify in stricter states.

Those were only examples, I just mean that you have to show them something that indicates you won't be leaving after school - that your intention is to settle there permanently. For example, purchasing a home (or, hypothetically, taking a 5-year lease) rather than renting on 12-month lease terms is the kind of thing they're looking for. Their in-state tuition is designed to produce educated individuals who will then live in VA and pay VA state taxes (and therefore contribute to the next generation of students to benefit from those tuition breaks), and who will make VA more economically competitive. If you're going to leave after school it defeats the purpose of the program. Also, the budget for those funds has been severely reduced over the last few years. I'm not sure if the slowly improving VA economy will mean those restrictions will be loosened, but I would guess not.

Understood. Thanks!

premedpr

Postby premedpr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:38 pm

Heard back last week- did anyone out of state get more than 12k a year?

The Dark Shepard

Postby The Dark Shepard » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:50 pm

premedpr wrote:Heard back last week- did anyone out of state get more than 12k a year?

are you including fellowship money(out of state tuition waiver and stipend)?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”