William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
spunkyjoe
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby spunkyjoe » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Yeah, Statement of Intent, apologies. Should have proofread but I'm rushed at work.

pauly_biegler
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby pauly_biegler » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:17 pm

They won't rescind my scholarship offer if I don't confirm I'll be there by april 1st or something ridiculous like that, will they?

Thorcogan
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Thorcogan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:21 pm

spunkyjoe wrote:Yeah, Statement of Intent, apologies. Should have proofread but I'm rushed at work.


FYI, for the Statement of purpose you can say you aren't sure where u want to go and they will hold your scholarship until may 1st

spunkyjoe
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby spunkyjoe » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:27 pm

pauly_biegler wrote:They won't rescind my scholarship offer if I don't confirm I'll be there by april 1st or something ridiculous like that, will they?


No, you're fine. They have an option that says like, hold my scholarship and seat unless I fail to pay the May 1st $500 seat deposit.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:33 pm

spunkyjoe wrote:
pauly_biegler wrote:They won't rescind my scholarship offer if I don't confirm I'll be there by april 1st or something ridiculous like that, will they?


No, you're fine. They have an option that says like, hold my scholarship and seat unless I fail to pay the May 1st $500 seat deposit.


How willing are schools to hold a seat for a few days if we can't make a payment by the due date? I know GWU, for example, has extremely pricey deposits (upwards of $1,500 at a time).

User avatar
cricketlove00
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby cricketlove00 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:04 am

Held. Boo.

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BankruptMe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:19 am

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
spunkyjoe wrote:
pauly_biegler wrote:They won't rescind my scholarship offer if I don't confirm I'll be there by april 1st or something ridiculous like that, will they?


No, you're fine. They have an option that says like, hold my scholarship and seat unless I fail to pay the May 1st $500 seat deposit.


How willing are schools to hold a seat for a few days if we can't make a payment by the due date? I know GWU, for example, has extremely pricey deposits (upwards of $1,500 at a time).


GW's is $3000. I asked them could I just pay 1000, they said all students are required to pay the 3000, but we can work out a "payment plan." lol

You should call and ask.

EDIT: I went complete on the 8th. Applied before LSAT score. top choice. Status: File is Complete and in Review Process

User avatar
thevuch
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby thevuch » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:02 pm

what is the consensus on what being held means

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:24 pm

thevuch wrote:what is the consensus on what being held means


Hey dood! Haven't seen ya in awhile.

We're pretty sure it means that we aren't auto-rejects but they don't want to make a final decision on 'Held' candidates until they review everrryyybodyyyy and can play with their Excel sheets and see what their medians, etc., might look like if they accept different groups of us.

bmr456
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bmr456 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:40 pm

So what would the decision status say for someone whom the committee knows it will reject but hasn't officially notified or begun the process of notifying? Something different than "held for further review"?

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby PattyCake » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:50 pm

bmr456 wrote:So what would the decision status say for someone whom the committee knows it will reject but hasn't officially notified or begun the process of notifying? Something different than "held for further review"?


It will give you a detailed description of the inside of a committee member's head. Please let us know when you get that update.

bmr456
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bmr456 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:11 pm

Ya will do, definitely. But in all seriousness just trying to make sure they don't just slap "held for further review" on all apps that aren't auto-admits.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:16 pm

bmr456 wrote:Ya will do, definitely. But in all seriousness just trying to make sure they don't just slap "held for further review" on all apps that aren't auto-admits.


Maybe they do. I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Has anyone been outright rejected yet?

User avatar
jen6886
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:38 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jen6886 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 am

Hey guys...this is an excerpt from the W&M FAQs link:

"William & Mary's admission process includes a full-file review. All applications are reviewed once a file is complete, and applicants will be notified of decisions once they are finalized. Many applications will go through multiple reviews. All applications complete by March 1 will recieve [sic] a decision by April 1."

The part about going through multiple reviews made me feel better.

Also , please note that receive is spelled wrong on the website! Extra admissions points for noticing that?????

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby PattyCake » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:36 am

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
bmr456 wrote:Ya will do, definitely. But in all seriousness just trying to make sure they don't just slap "held for further review" on all apps that aren't auto-admits.


Maybe they do. I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Has anyone been outright rejected yet?


Plenty of people were outright rejected/waitlisted without being held before the March deadline (which, as another poster pointed out, was delayed until 3/5 because the original 3/1 deadline fell over a weekend). I have not heard of anyone being rejected/waitlisted since then, however, so it's possible the reject pile is building and will be released in a single large batch once they have finished the review process.

copperboom22
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby copperboom22 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:50 pm

adbuckley wrote:
Marquis wrote:
Meursault wrote:Trying to negotiate scholarship $$. Has anyone had any luck so far this year?


I just sent a negotiation request today. Fingers crossed!



Sent mine last weekend, and got an email that I should hear back by Friday. Super quick turnaround.


Have any of you heard anything back yet?

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BankruptMe » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:58 pm

If they do "fully review" each file, I may stand a chance.

User avatar
cricketlove00
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby cricketlove00 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:25 pm

BankruptMe wrote:If they do "fully review" each file, I may stand a chance.


Please lord let that be true. My softs are fantastic... That's about it.

knope34
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby knope34 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:23 pm

If it makes anyone feel better, I was a reverse splitter with (what I feel are) strong softs and good essays/LOR. I received my decision in about ten days after submitting at the end of January with a scholarship. There is hope!

Marquis
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Marquis » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:51 pm

I posted this in the merit aid thread, but didn't get a response so I thought I'd check to see if any W&M hopefuls had any insight on my situation. Last week I wrote a polite, artfully-worded email to William & Mary inquiring about the possibility of additional merit aid. I told them why W&M was one of my top choices. They responded immediately requesting offers from the competing schools I cited. I sent the letters and they seemed very open to the idea of negotiating. Then, yesterday, I got this email back from the Dean:

Good Morning ____,

We remain excited with your application and interest in William & Mary Law School. Congratulations on your credentials which resulted in the offer of admission! Your request for additional funds awarded by William & Mary has been reviewed. You remain on the list for continued consideration should additional funds become available. Currently, you have the _____ scholarship aid awarded in the letter dated ____, 2014. As a top ranked public law school, William & Mary remains a bargain when compared to most law schools in terms of both tuition and cost of living.

Know that we hope you will be among those we welcome to William & Mary Law School in August as a member of the Class of 2017.



Is this just their polite way of giving me a firm no and closing the door on the subject? Or should I read this to mean that I may be actually eligible for more merit aid closer to the deposit deadline (which I think is 4/15) when they have a clearer picture of who will be accepting offers? If the answer is the latter, should I just keep quiet and hope that I hear from them, or is a follow-up email in a few weeks appropriate? I'm already replied with a polite "thank you for your time and consideration" email.

copperboom22
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby copperboom22 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:33 pm

Marquis wrote:I posted this in the merit aid thread, but didn't get a response so I thought I'd check to see if any W&M hopefuls had any insight on my situation. Last week I wrote a polite, artfully-worded email to William & Mary inquiring about the possibility of additional merit aid. I told them why W&M was one of my top choices. They responded immediately requesting offers from the competing schools I cited. I sent the letters and they seemed very open to the idea of negotiating. Then, yesterday, I got this email back from the Dean:

Good Morning ____,

We remain excited with your application and interest in William & Mary Law School. Congratulations on your credentials which resulted in the offer of admission! Your request for additional funds awarded by William & Mary has been reviewed. You remain on the list for continued consideration should additional funds become available. Currently, you have the _____ scholarship aid awarded in the letter dated ____, 2014. As a top ranked public law school, William & Mary remains a bargain when compared to most law schools in terms of both tuition and cost of living.

Know that we hope you will be among those we welcome to William & Mary Law School in August as a member of the Class of 2017.



Is this just their polite way of giving me a firm no and closing the door on the subject? Or should I read this to mean that I may be actually eligible for more merit aid closer to the deposit deadline (which I think is 4/15) when they have a clearer picture of who will be accepting offers? If the answer is the latter, should I just keep quiet and hope that I hear from them, or is a follow-up email in a few weeks appropriate? I'm already replied with a polite "thank you for your time and consideration" email.


This makes me sad. I just wrote a first draft of an email I'm planning to send to W&M trying to negotiate aid and was planning to send it sometime this week or next. I've read in some threads from past years that people have been successful in getting an additional $4-$5k ( I can't remember if that's per year or total, I've been meaning to check but I would assume per year). I'm wondering if maybe it's still too early this year for them to add on to existing scholarships, or if they don't add on to existing scholarships of a certain amount? What was your existing offer and what schools did you use to negotiate, if you don't mind me asking?

Marquis
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Marquis » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:59 pm

copperboom22 wrote:
Marquis wrote:I posted this in the merit aid thread, but didn't get a response so I thought I'd check to see if any W&M hopefuls had any insight on my situation. Last week I wrote a polite, artfully-worded email to William & Mary inquiring about the possibility of additional merit aid. I told them why W&M was one of my top choices. They responded immediately requesting offers from the competing schools I cited. I sent the letters and they seemed very open to the idea of negotiating. Then, yesterday, I got this email back from the Dean:

Good Morning ____,

We remain excited with your application and interest in William & Mary Law School. Congratulations on your credentials which resulted in the offer of admission! Your request for additional funds awarded by William & Mary has been reviewed. You remain on the list for continued consideration should additional funds become available. Currently, you have the _____ scholarship aid awarded in the letter dated ____, 2014. As a top ranked public law school, William & Mary remains a bargain when compared to most law schools in terms of both tuition and cost of living.

Know that we hope you will be among those we welcome to William & Mary Law School in August as a member of the Class of 2017.



Is this just their polite way of giving me a firm no and closing the door on the subject? Or should I read this to mean that I may be actually eligible for more merit aid closer to the deposit deadline (which I think is 4/15) when they have a clearer picture of who will be accepting offers? If the answer is the latter, should I just keep quiet and hope that I hear from them, or is a follow-up email in a few weeks appropriate? I'm already replied with a polite "thank you for your time and consideration" email.


This makes me sad. I just wrote a first draft of an email I'm planning to send to W&M trying to negotiate aid and was planning to send it sometime this week or next. I've read in some threads from past years that people have been successful in getting an additional $4-$5k ( I can't remember if that's per year or total, I've been meaning to check but I would assume per year). I'm wondering if maybe it's still too early this year for them to add on to existing scholarships, or if they don't add on to existing scholarships of a certain amount? What was your existing offer and what schools did you use to negotiate, if you don't mind me asking?


I PM'd you the specifics.

It's certainly possible that it's just too early. I mean, if you take the text of the reply at face value it certainly doesn't sound like a shutdown or even a no. I'm just paranoid and OCD about these things because deadlines are coming up.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:02 am

And finally admitted! Woohoo!

User avatar
cricketlove00
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby cricketlove00 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:03 am

Attax wrote:And finally admitted! Woohoo!


Congrats! Were you at any time on "hold" during the process?

Marquis
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: William and Mary c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Marquis » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:12 am

Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to get Virginia residency for 2nd and 3rd year tuition purposes?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”