University of Tennessee C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BankruptMe

Re: University of Tennessee C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby BankruptMe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:13 am

For anyone who may be interested, UTK has extended their application deadline through the JUNE LSAT. The applications just may not be there anymore.

So if you are on the waitlist, you maybe should retake since they will consider scores in June.

kellohitty

Postby kellohitty » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Have any in-staters had any luck negotiating scholarships? If so, how did you go about it?

Jesse1983

Postby Jesse1983 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:00 am

Dinged today. Best of luck to all of you who end up attending.

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:53 am

Dinged on a Sunday....you mean i have to check my apps on weekends now. Sheesh

I was told administrators do not work on weekends.

I am still in Review

k101010

Postby k101010 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:18 pm

just received wait list letter in the mail

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:22 pm

anything new

kellohitty

Postby kellohitty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:23 am

I attended Law Preview Day and I loved UT! The people were so nice and I feel so confident that UT is my home for the next 3 years!

TennesseeLaw

Postby TennesseeLaw » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:00 am

kellohitty wrote:I attended Law Preview Day and I loved UT! The people were so nice and I feel so confident that UT is my home for the next 3 years!

I liked it too! Every time I have been there everyone has been really nice. What did you think of Law Preview?

kellohitty

Postby kellohitty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:07 pm

TennesseeLaw wrote:
kellohitty wrote:I attended Law Preview Day and I loved UT! The people were so nice and I feel so confident that UT is my home for the next 3 years!

I liked it too! Every time I have been there everyone has been really nice. What did you think of Law Preview?

Law Preview was really nice! I attended two accepted students days and UT's was way more laid back. I liked everyone that spoke to us and everyone seems really approachable. I really appreciate the fact that the environment doesn't seem too cutthroat, unlike the other school I was considering. I only see good things coming out of UT and I really liked how they emphasized helping us get jobs after graduation. Also, the building is wonderful on the inside, which is a nice plus since I'll be there all day every day haha. What did you think?

TennesseeLaw

Postby TennesseeLaw » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:04 pm

kellohitty wrote:
TennesseeLaw wrote:

Law Preview was really nice! I attended two accepted students days and UT's was way more laid back. I liked everyone that spoke to us and everyone seems really approachable. I really appreciate the fact that the environment doesn't seem too cutthroat, unlike the other school I was considering. I only see good things coming out of UT and I really liked how they emphasized helping us get jobs after graduation. Also, the building is wonderful on the inside, which is a nice plus since I'll be there all day every day haha. What did you think?

I felt the same. I really liked the non-cutthroat/community part and the career center, too. I attend UTK and the law school is one of the nicest buildings on campus. Law Preview day made me excited to attend but a little nervous about that first year as well. I thought it was cool that the students described it as high school with harder classes and less drama.

kellohitty

Postby kellohitty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:13 pm

TennesseeLaw wrote:
kellohitty wrote:
TennesseeLaw wrote:

I felt the same. I really liked the non-cutthroat/community part and the career center, too. I attend UTK and the law school is one of the nicest buildings on campus. Law Preview day made me excited to attend but a little nervous about that first year as well. I thought it was cool that the students described it as high school with harder classes and less drama.

I'm actually excited to be a part of a smaller community again and get to know people on a personal level. Part of me wants to even decorate my locker haha.

kellohitty

Postby kellohitty » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:07 pm

I invite everyone who was admitted to UT to check out the Tennessee Class of 2017 thread! :D

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=225316

robertd34

Postby robertd34 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:44 pm

Hello All: I was in Knoxville last week for a death in the family. I went to downtown Knoxville and said heck, why not stop by the law school. Surprisingly there was an open house for undergrads and I found my way through campus (in the pouring rain!). Anyways, I loved the campus, the area, and resources... I've been looking more into the university and have put serious thought about applying-- despite being so late... stats are 155/3.6 strong softs-- former collegiate football player (looking to get into sport and entertainment law) and Non-URM.

With my numbers, is it worth sending in an application this late in the cycle? I understand that UT's deadline isn't until August, but I figured it would be nice to get some opinions here... thank you

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:02 pm

robertd34 wrote:Hello All: I was in Knoxville last week for a death in the family. I went to downtown Knoxville and said heck, why not stop by the law school. Surprisingly there was an open house for undergrads and I found my way through campus (in the pouring rain!). Anyways, I loved the campus, the area, and resources... I've been looking more into the university and have put serious thought about applying-- despite being so late... stats are 155/3.6 strong softs-- former collegiate football player (looking to get into sport and entertainment law) and Non-URM.

With my numbers, is it worth sending in an application this late in the cycle? I understand that UT's deadline isn't until August, but I figured it would be nice to get some opinions here... thank you

Don't know much about UTK but I do think that playing a sport in college can help your application. I played DII football and I think I was able to outperform my numbers. My PS was about what I was able to learn from my experience with it.

Finnegan

Postby Finnegan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:40 am

I played D1 basketball, I have higher numbers than mentioned above, 2 years legal experience, and I was still wait listed at Tennessee.

I am not really sure why either. I visited the law school, showed a lot of interest, I had a family member who attended, but they did not seem to care. One of the days I visited I made an appointment to meet with Dr. Britton. The appointment was made a week in advance. When I got there they told me she was too busy to see me and I got taken on another tour of the law school, which I already had done several months earlier. Then as I was leaving they said we could "swing by" Dr. Britton's office and when we did she did not even turn away from her computer to acknowledge me.

It was almost as if they felt I was just lucky to have been able to step inside the building and I should be grateful. They didn't give me a lot of info on their programs or classes because their attitude was almost like- look it up on your own, we have a website and we don't have time to talk to you. It would be different if it was Harvard or even Vandy, but come on, you're Tennessee. Didn't they have a lower BAR passage rate than Memphis this year?

Before all the sour grapes snark comes out I would like to add that I have now been admitted to several schools in the top 50, one school ranked in the 60's, and a couple schools in the 70's (which is where Tennessee is now ranked). I have received several scholarship offers and one is 50% tuition. The schools I am working with now have been much more courteous and professional than Tennessee.

I am very disappointed with the way this has turned out because Tennessee was my top choice. I am not surprised at all that they are falling in the rankings.

kellohitty

Postby kellohitty » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:29 pm

Finnegan wrote:I played D1 basketball, I have higher numbers than mentioned above, 2 years legal experience, and I was still wait listed at Tennessee.

I am not really sure why either. I visited the law school, showed a lot of interest, I had a family member who attended, but they did not seem to care. One of the days I visited I made an appointment to meet with Dr. Britton. The appointment was made a week in advance. When I got there they told me she was too busy to see me and I got taken on another tour of the law school, which I already had done several months earlier. Then as I was leaving they said we could "swing by" Dr. Britton's office and when we did she did not even turn away from her computer to acknowledge me.

It was almost as if they felt I was just lucky to have been able to step inside the building and I should be grateful. They didn't give me a lot of info on their programs or classes because their attitude was almost like- look it up on your own, we have a website and we don't have time to talk to you. It would be different if it was Harvard or even Vandy, but come on, you're Tennessee. Didn't they have a lower BAR passage rate than Memphis this year?

Before all the sour grapes snark comes out I would like to add that I have now been admitted to several schools in the top 50, one school ranked in the 60's, and a couple schools in the 70's (which is where Tennessee is now ranked). I have received several scholarship offers and one is 50% tuition. The schools I am working with now have been much more courteous and professional than Tennessee.

I am very disappointed with the way this has turned out because Tennessee was my top choice. I am not surprised at all that they are falling in the rankings.

Wow...from my experiences with the school, that seems very unlike UT. I've talked on the phone with Dr. Britton and didn't get that vibe. However, congratulations on the rest of your cycle, it looks like you have a bright outlook ahead and didn't need an acceptance from UT to get there anyways.

robertd34

Postby robertd34 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Any updates? How did law preview day go for those who attended?

kellohitty

Postby kellohitty » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:01 pm

robertd34 wrote:Any updates? How did law preview day go for those who attended?

I enjoyed it. If you have any questions about it, let me know! :)

robertd34

Postby robertd34 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:20 pm

Did anyone have an unusually long wait to get their Application Status Checker-- the email that utk sends once they confirm your application was received from LSAC? I spoke with LSAC and they confirmed that all of my documents were sent to the school a little over a week ago... my guess is that it is because i submitted so late coupled with admissions being very busy... any input?

k101010

Postby k101010 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:15 pm

Has anyone who is currently waitlisted heard anything? Numbers? priority? Likelihood?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”