Debt collection hurt Declaration of Intent to Study Law?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bluebird

Debt collection hurt Declaration of Intent to Study Law?

Postby bluebird » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Debt collection hurt Declaration of Intent to Study Law in TX?

I have a debt from my old apartment complex, who charged $1000 for cleaning after moving out and sent to collection agency even no-response to my request to see receipts of the expenses.

I wonder if I should settle my debt with the collection agency and ask them to take this off my credit report and say "no" to question Do you have any other debts that are ninety (90) days or more past due (including tax debts owed pursuant to federal or other law)?" - but it seems even debt not on the credit report still needs to be explained.

Or should I just go ahead to explain the debt? How critical is this? Should I call the board?

rinkrat19

Re: Debt collection hurt Declaration of Intent to Study Law?

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:19 pm

You may not be able to get loans with that on your record. Why have you just been letting it sit there? Either pay it or fight it, don't just ignore it and pretend it's not hurting your credit score and doesn't matter.

bluebird

Postby bluebird » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Yeah, I just paid it and my credit report will get cleaned in 30 to 90 days. Just wonder how I should explain it and whether it would affect my taking the bar.

slayerhn

Postby slayerhn » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:02 pm

It's mostly about honesty. Just explain it on the continuation form and tell how you're making steps to resolve it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Just explain what happened. It's not fraud-related, or an inability to handle money that indicates you'd be a risk with client funds, which is what they are looking for. Just be honest and you'll be fine.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”