Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Wbrem
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Wbrem » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:16 pm

I got an email today that I was waitlisted. Did not expect that at all. I'm highly considering putting off law school for a year or two now.

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby PattyCake » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Accepted today! $45,000 over 3 years plus $2000 co-op stipend. Does anyone know how negotiable they are if you have other significant offers?

Newb2law
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Newb2law » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:49 pm

PattyCake wrote:Accepted today! $45,000 over 3 years plus $2000 co-op stipend. Does anyone know how negotiable they are if you have other significant offers?


Do you know what the 2k co-op stipend is supposed to be used towards? is that a yearly thing or a one time thing? thoughts? also, congrats to everyone who got accepted!!

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby PattyCake » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Newb2law wrote:
PattyCake wrote:Accepted today! $45,000 over 3 years plus $2000 co-op stipend. Does anyone know how negotiable they are if you have other significant offers?


Do you know what the 2k co-op stipend is supposed to be used towards? is that a yearly thing or a one time thing? thoughts? also, congrats to everyone who got accepted!!


I don't know, but I'm going to be unrealistically hopeful (delusional, whatever) and cross my fingers for "per co-op" until I hear specifics... so please, if you know the answer, give me 24 hours before you burst my bubble :-)

User avatar
Wbrem
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Wbrem » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:03 pm

PattyCake wrote:
Newb2law wrote:
PattyCake wrote:Accepted today! $45,000 over 3 years plus $2000 co-op stipend. Does anyone know how negotiable they are if you have other significant offers?


Do you know what the 2k co-op stipend is supposed to be used towards? is that a yearly thing or a one time thing? thoughts? also, congrats to everyone who got accepted!!


I don't know, but I'm going to be unrealistically hopeful (delusional, whatever) and cross my fingers for "per co-op" until I hear specifics... so please, if you know the answer, give me 24 hours before you burst my bubble :-)


Congrats!! I'm am so so happy for you :D

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby PattyCake » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Wbrem wrote:
PattyCake wrote:
Newb2law wrote:
PattyCake wrote:Accepted today! $45,000 over 3 years plus $2000 co-op stipend. Does anyone know how negotiable they are if you have other significant offers?


Do you know what the 2k co-op stipend is supposed to be used towards? is that a yearly thing or a one time thing? thoughts? also, congrats to everyone who got accepted!!


I don't know, but I'm going to be unrealistically hopeful (delusional, whatever) and cross my fingers for "per co-op" until I hear specifics... so please, if you know the answer, give me 24 hours before you burst my bubble :-)


Congrats!! I'm am so so happy for you :D


Thank you! Don't give up, the deposit deadline is around the corner and seats will start opening up!

Newb2law
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Newb2law » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:30 pm

Wbrem wrote:I got an email today that I was waitlisted. Did not expect that at all. I'm highly considering putting off law school for a year or two now.


Don't be upset! I might have to do that too, there's no rush, you can build up your resume or retake the lsat and get into your dream schools! If not, I'm sure you could get off the waitlist! You didn't get denied... they put you on the wait list because they think your a great candidate!

User avatar
Wbrem
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Wbrem » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:32 pm

Newb2law wrote:
Wbrem wrote:I got an email today that I was waitlisted. Did not expect that at all. I'm highly considering putting off law school for a year or two now.


Don't be upset! I might have to do that too, there's no rush, you can build up your resume or retake the lsat and get into your dream schools! If not, I'm sure you could get off the waitlist! You didn't get denied... they put you on the wait list because they think your a great candidate!


Thank you guys, that's awesome! I'm being realistic in knowing that even if I do get accepted, they probably won't offer any money which would be pointless for me. I'm actually considering joining the peace corps!

User avatar
raindrop
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:35 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby raindrop » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:07 pm

waitlisted today-- went complete 1.28. Above median GPA, just below lsat median (above 25%, though) and alum. Disappointing, and probably doesn't bode well for my other apps still out. Grats to everyone else who got in today!

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby PattyCake » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Wbrem wrote:
Newb2law wrote:
Wbrem wrote:I got an email today that I was waitlisted. Did not expect that at all. I'm highly considering putting off law school for a year or two now.


Don't be upset! I might have to do that too, there's no rush, you can build up your resume or retake the lsat and get into your dream schools! If not, I'm sure you could get off the waitlist! You didn't get denied... they put you on the wait list because they think your a great candidate!


Thank you guys, that's awesome! I'm being realistic in knowing that even if I do get accepted, they probably won't offer any money which would be pointless for me. I'm actually considering joining the peace corps!


If you do get accepted, ask about a deferral for peace corps, lots of schools offer them (Teach America, too). You might get a nice scholarship if you retake, and you wouldn't have to reapply.

dean414
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:18 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby dean414 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:26 pm

PattyCake wrote:
Newb2law wrote:
PattyCake wrote:Accepted today! $45,000 over 3 years plus $2000 co-op stipend. Does anyone know how negotiable they are if you have other significant offers?


Do you know what the 2k co-op stipend is supposed to be used towards? is that a yearly thing or a one time thing? thoughts? also, congrats to everyone who got accepted!!


I don't know, but I'm going to be unrealistically hopeful (delusional, whatever) and cross my fingers for "per co-op" until I hear specifics... so please, if you know the answer, give me 24 hours before you burst my bubble :-)


My recollection from my package that it was 2k for each coop, regardless whether it was paid or unpaid.

I also saw on a student chat they had that they DO NOT negotiate. Giving it a shot next week regardless. Disappointed that their asd is the same date as uconn and a few others

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby PattyCake » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:53 pm

dean414 wrote:
PattyCake wrote:
Newb2law wrote:
PattyCake wrote:Accepted today! $45,000 over 3 years plus $2000 co-op stipend. Does anyone know how negotiable they are if you have other significant offers?


Do you know what the 2k co-op stipend is supposed to be used towards? is that a yearly thing or a one time thing? thoughts? also, congrats to everyone who got accepted!!


I don't know, but I'm going to be unrealistically hopeful (delusional, whatever) and cross my fingers for "per co-op" until I hear specifics... so please, if you know the answer, give me 24 hours before you burst my bubble :-)


My recollection from my package that it was 2k for each coop, regardless whether it was paid or unpaid.

I also saw on a student chat they had that they DO NOT negotiate. Giving it a shot next week regardless. Disappointed that their asd is the same date as uconn and a few others


Awesome about the stipend, hope that's true. I will be so, so disappointed if they won't negotiate my scholarship at all - NUSL is my first choice but student loans aren't really an option for me. I was surprised at the offer, actually - I would have thought applicants around their 75th would receive more. Do they offer need-based grants, or just loans?

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby PattyCake » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:55 pm

Does anyone know when the PILS finalist selection is complete? Has anyone heard back yet?

TheHarveySpecter
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby TheHarveySpecter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:30 pm

originally complete 11/8 (early decision). deferred 1/8 to regular applicant pool. status checker listed deferral and deferral date until today. i don't think NUSL shows multiple complete dates or 'under review' status, so maybe there will be movement soon?

User avatar
Wbrem
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Wbrem » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Any movement on the waitlist? They seem to have WL'ed a ton of people that had numbers beyond their requirements. I got into a few schools ranked quite a bit higher but still waitlisted at Northeastern. Also has anyone heard back about PILS? Just curious.

Reevsaj
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:17 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Reevsaj » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Congrats to everyone who got in, and good luck to anyone on the waitlist :D
Is anyone here planning on going to the Open House event on the 29th?

User avatar
graybee08
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:59 am

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby graybee08 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:52 pm

Waitlisted and withdrawn. Good luck to everyone!

User avatar
fratstar1
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby fratstar1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:04 pm

Anyone try and negotiate?

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby PattyCake » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:44 pm

fratstar1 wrote:Anyone try and negotiate?


Yes, I sent an email and received a reply with the name of the person who handles those inquiries. I was told she would reach out to me. 2 weeks later, nothing. Someone else said they told him they don't negotiate. Really bummed, it was my first choice but I can't afford to attend with the offer I received.

dean414
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:18 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby dean414 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:39 am

Yea they don't negotiate. Pretty bad decision on NUSL's part if they are trying to retain some of the better students that they admitted!

User avatar
fratstar1
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby fratstar1 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:55 am

I think the programs and the student body is amazing (from what I gleaned from marketing and anecdotes), it just sucks because I'm afraid I wont be able to get a decent position afterward. I'm up in the air about it.

bos516
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:09 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby bos516 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:29 am

Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from NEU? Submitted in early Feb, went complete in early March!

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby PattyCake » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:38 am

Got a call back from admissions about merit scholarships - they 100% never, ever, ever adjust merit scholarships. They don't even allow formal appeals, let alone negotiations based on other offers. I just withdrew this morning with $15K, just can't make Boston work for my family with that scholarship. NUSL was my first choice - I'm really, REALLY sorry I can't attend, and I hope my seat goes to someone who wants to go there as much as I did. Good luck to those on the WL and congrats to everyone admitted, sorry I won't be there this fall :cry:

dean414
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:18 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby dean414 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:05 pm

PattyCake wrote:Got a call back from admissions about merit scholarships - they 100% never, ever, ever adjust merit scholarships. They don't even allow formal appeals, let alone negotiations based on other offers. I just withdrew this morning with $15K, just can't make Boston work for my family with that scholarship. NUSL was my first choice - I'm really, REALLY sorry I can't attend, and I hope my seat goes to someone who wants to go there as much as I did. Good luck to those on the WL and congrats to everyone admitted, sorry I won't be there this fall :cry:


+1

I withdrew with over 90k on table. Hope this helps someone else out!

cosmomedici
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:09 pm

Re: Northeastern c/o Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby cosmomedici » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:35 pm

Waitlisted GPA 3.5 LSAT 159




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AJ1010, cathy95, ec333, mike90018, oliviaj_j, spursforever, swoonster, tylergreenandgold and 12 guests