SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
El Principe

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby El Principe » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:23 pm

fathergoose wrote:Don't go to Baylor over SMU.

FTFY

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:30 pm

El Principe wrote:

FTFY

Nope, you didn't. Nothing can fix Baylol.

fnma2jd

Postby fnma2jd » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:32 pm

Austinbound wrote:I hate to break it to you guys, but our admitted fb group is really boring. The WUSTL one is so much more active!

I have a conspiracy theory that they only made it so that admissions people can look through your photos and make sure you're not a total creep

bound

Postby bound » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:37 pm

fnma2jd wrote:
Austinbound wrote:I hate to break it to you guys, but our admitted fb group is really boring. The WUSTL one is so much more active!

I have a conspiracy theory that they only made it so that admissions people can look through your photos and make sure you're not a total creep

Thank God I passed the non-creep test!!

jts723

Postby jts723 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:38 pm

Austinbound wrote:
fnma2jd wrote:

Thank God I passed the non-creep test!!

+1

Mandakay16

Postby Mandakay16 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:21 am

Haha I know! Other ones I'm a part of have people at least talking about themselves, housing, and random tid bits. I feel like saying something or asking everyone to introduce themselves....

RonBurgundy

Postby RonBurgundy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:33 am

fathergoose wrote:
El Principe wrote:

FTFY

Nope, you didn't. Nothing can fix Baylol.

I guess I was the one that brought up Baylor a page ago. Thanks for the advice. I certainly am not interested in attending Baylor.I only applied with waiver hoping to use them as negotiation leverage. Too bad SMU isn't very receptive apparently...

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:44 am

To be fair, SMU is pretty generous initially.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:55 am

kalvano wrote:To be fair, SMU is pretty generous initially.

Indeed. My cycle, it was UH and Baylor working to catch up with SMU.

(It didn't help that my cycle was the one where Baylor sent an email to all accepted students which accidentally included an xls attachment detailing all accepted students contact information, demographics, LSAT, GPA, and scholarship offer).

Afterparty

Postby Afterparty » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:43 am

Mandakay16 wrote:

Haha I know! Other ones I'm a part of have people at least talking about themselves, housing, and random tid bits. I feel like saying something or asking everyone to introduce themselves....

We need to get turn'd up...(I really hope I used that correctly). On another note, I am leaning towards attending SMU, so just wondering if anyone has made any traction on housing. Apartment prices in uptown/near campus are starting to creep up :(. Hopefully I'll be able to sign something by May.

Also - out of curiousity - has anyone else gone through the people on the admitted FB page and labeled them as 'typical SMU student' or 'Not'? Or is that just me ;)? And I only say that because I'm from Dallas and find it funny how people give SMU students the 'pretentious' reputation

Mandakay16

Postby Mandakay16 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:57 am

Afterparty wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:

Also - out of curiousity - has anyone else gone through the people on the admitted FB page and labeled them as 'typical SMU student' or 'Not'? Or is that just me ;)? And I only say that because I'm from Dallas and find it funny how people give SMU students the 'pretentious' reputation

^ Ha - I just died reading that. I honestly don't know what a "typical SMU student" looks like, but I have creeped...

... & I'm now wondering if I was one of the people you thought looked pretentious :wink:

bound

Postby bound » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Mandakay16 wrote:

Start it start it start it!

Afterparty

Postby Afterparty » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Mandakay16 wrote:
Afterparty wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:

^ Ha - I just died reading that. I honestly don't know what a "typical SMU student" looks like, but I have creeped...

... & I'm now wondering if I was one of the people you thought looked pretentious :wink:

Hahaha, well I NEVER said I did it, just that its the reputation SMU students have :p. I think its more towads SMU undergrad though, rather than the graduate programs. I think the Law School is much more diverse in the students that come in and attend, so should't be as bad.

But to give you a rough idea, a typical undergrad student would look like he or she just jumped right out of a Ralph Lauren catalog :p. And I'll be the first to admit that I am sometimes guilty of doing the same, but shhh dont tell anyone!!!!

Afterparty

Postby Afterparty » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:30 pm

Austinbound wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:

Just so you guys know, I am expecting someone that looks like the Princess and someone that looks like Rachel Zane to walk into orientation.....ya know.....jus sayin' :)

bound

Postby bound » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Afterparty wrote:
Austinbound wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:

Just so you guys know, I am expecting someone that looks like the Princess and someone that looks like Rachel Zane to walk into orientation.....ya know.....jus sayin' :)

I'm expecting someone to walk in looking like its...after....a party?

Which ASD are you going to?

Mandakay16

Postby Mandakay16 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Austinbound wrote:
Mandakay16 wrote:

My super-secret identity has been exposed, but.. I did it 8)

Afterparty

Postby Afterparty » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Haha I know! Other ones I'm a part of have people at least talking about themselves, housing, and random tid bits. I feel like saying something or asking everyone to introduce themselves....[/quote]

Start it start it start it![/quote]

Just so you guys know, I am expecting someone that looks like the Princess and someone that looks like Rachel Zane to walk into orientation.....ya know.....jus sayin' :)[/quote]

Which ASD are you going to?[/quote]

Haha that could be one of several different looks, so I think I'll be able to meet your expectations! I'll be at the April one. What about you?

I saw that the attire was simply 'casual'. It's so broad and leaves so many options, so now I am trying to decide how much of an impression I want to make lol. I could be anyone from the shorts/flip flops guy to the suit and tie guy! Decisions.

bound

Postby bound » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:51 pm

Afterparty wrote:Haha I know! Other ones I'm a part of have people at least talking about themselves, housing, and random tid bits. I feel like saying something or asking everyone to introduce themselves....

Start it start it start it![/quote]

Just so you guys know, I am expecting someone that looks like the Princess and someone that looks like Rachel Zane to walk into orientation.....ya know.....jus sayin' :)[/quote]

Which ASD are you going to?[/quote]

I will be sundress girl. **Contingent on weather.

Definitely going for the casual look haha. And April too!

Haha that could be one of several different looks, so I think I'll be able to meet your expectations! I'll be at the April one. What about you?

I saw that the attire was simply 'casual'. It's so broad and leaves so many options, so now I am trying to decide how much of an impression I want to make lol. I could be anyone from the shorts/flip flops guy to the suit and tie guy! Decisions.[/quote]

Afterparty

Postby Afterparty » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:00 pm

I will be sundress girl. **Contingent on weather.

Definitely going for the casual look haha. And April too![/quote]

I hope that April one has a good amount of people! Are you somewhat decided on SMU? Or is the ASD going to be a huge part of ur decision :shock:

luker1855

Postby luker1855 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:01 am

Does anyone know how much the stipend that comes with the Sumners scholarship is?

bound

Postby bound » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:21 pm

Afterparty wrote:I will be sundress girl. **Contingent on weather.

Definitely going for the casual look haha. And April too!

I hope that April one has a good amount of people! Are you somewhat decided on SMU? Or is the ASD going to be a huge part of ur decision :shock:[/quote]

I'm not 100% yet on SMU, but definitely leaning toward it. Basically, my other ASW's will have to sway me away from SMU.

fnma2jd

Postby fnma2jd » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:18 pm

ouch!!! waitlisted.

Retaking LSAT in June

I have an acceptance to a TTTT accelerated MBA program so it looks like I'll be doing that for the next year. TTTT MBA's don't hold that much weight but its so cheap with in state tuition
Last edited by fnma2jd on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlemrslawyer

Postby littlemrslawyer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:31 pm

waitlisted :(

crchildress

Postby crchildress » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:06 pm

How did you guys find out? Email, status checker?

fnma2jd

Postby fnma2jd » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:17 pm

crchildress wrote:How did you guys find out? Email, status checker?

I received the email below
================================================================================================
Dear XXXXXXXXXXX:

Thank you for your interest in SMU Dedman School of Law. After a careful review of your application, the Admissions Committee would like to offer you a place on our waitlist with the hope that seats will open before classes begin on August 25, 2014. Each year the number of qualified applicants to SMU Dedman Law School greatly exceeds the number of available seats in the first-year class. As a result, the Admissions Committee is simply unable to offer admission to all applicants who possess the qualifications necessary to become a successful law student at SMU.

So that we might be able to accurately gauge the interest of the applicants on our waitlist, please notify the Office of Admissions if you do not wish to remain on the wait list by clicking here. Statements of continued interest may be submitted by clicking here and will be added to your application for the Admissions Committee’s consideration. Phone messages and drop-in visits are less effective.

Please keep your contact information up-to-date, as we may need to contact you quickly in the event that a seat becomes available. We will inform you as soon as any admission decision is made. Applicants on the waitlist are not ranked and we are generally not able to tell you what your “chances” are to be admitted.

Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Jill Nikirk

Assistant Dean for Admissions

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”