SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:13 pm

torresash14 wrote:My status has not changed since 9/18 and still says "Application Completed." I feel like this is unusual to have absolutely no movement at all. Is anyone else experiencing this? Did anyone's status change to Under Review?

I'm in your boat.

User avatar
Snowboarder1588
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 am

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:21 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
torresash14 wrote:My status has not changed since 9/18 and still says "Application Completed." I feel like this is unusual to have absolutely no movement at all. Is anyone else experiencing this? Did anyone's status change to Under Review?

I'm in your boat.



We have the exact same dates...do you guys have borderline numbers? I'm guessing they are holding on to us until the new year (after December LSAT takers submit their applications). This way they can see what their full applicant pool looks like. I guess all we can do is be happy that we haven't been rejected/waitlisted.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:34 am

So in the bottom left of the Status Checker under the "Requirements List" I have a box that says "Two Letters of Recommendation Received." I didn't send any LOR's because on LSAC SMU doesn't require any.

My application is also "complete."

Has this been discussed? Should I send in two letters?

JRO1989
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby JRO1989 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:46 am

Pneumonia wrote:So in the bottom left of the Status Checker under the "Requirements List" I have a box that says "Two Letters of Recommendation Received." I didn't send any LOR's because on LSAC SMU doesn't require any.

My application is also "complete."

Has this been discussed? Should I send in two letters?


Do you have letters? I would definitely send them if you do.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:54 am

JRO1989 wrote: Do you have letters? I would definitely send them if you do.


Yeah I have two letters that I can send, which I intend to do. I'm mostly just curious about why that checkbox is showing up in my "requirements list." Has anyone else had this?

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:30 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
JRO1989 wrote: Do you have letters? I would definitely send them if you do.


Yeah I have two letters that I can send, which I intend to do. I'm mostly just curious about why that checkbox is showing up in my "requirements list." Has anyone else had this?

Because it's a requirement..

User avatar
jts723
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby jts723 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:32 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
JRO1989 wrote: Do you have letters? I would definitely send them if you do.


Yeah I have two letters that I can send, which I intend to do. I'm mostly just curious about why that checkbox is showing up in my "requirements list." Has anyone else had this?

Because it's a requirement..

No it isn't.

"Letters of recommendation are optional. If you choose to submit letters of recommendation, we will accept up to three (3). Submit your letters of recommendation through the CAS Letter of Recommendation Service."

From: http://www.law.smu.edu/Prospective-Stud ... Apply.aspx

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:37 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:Because it's a requirement..

SMU wrote:Letters of recommendation are optional.

http://www.law.smu.edu/Prospective-Stud ... Apply.aspx

I'm going to send the two letters that I have, I'm just curious about why my application is "complete" if I have unfulfilled requirements, and also about why the requirements on my status checker appear to be different than the ones listed on LSAC and on SMU's websites.

ETA: thanks for the link jts.
Last edited by Pneumonia on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:39 pm

jts723 wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
JRO1989 wrote: Do you have letters? I would definitely send them if you do.


Yeah I have two letters that I can send, which I intend to do. I'm mostly just curious about why that checkbox is showing up in my "requirements list." Has anyone else had this?

Because it's a requirement..

No it isn't.

"Letters of recommendation are optional. If you choose to submit letters of recommendation, we will accept up to three (3). Submit your letters of recommendation through the CAS Letter of Recommendation Service."

From: http://www.law.smu.edu/Prospective-Stud ... Apply.aspx


Where exactly is the tracker you're referring to? I can't find a "Requirements" section like what you're describing associated with any of my applications.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:42 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:Where exactly is the tracker you're referring to? I can't find a "Requirements" section like what you're describing associated with any of my applications.


On the SMU status checker, in the bottom right there is a "Requirements List" field/box. SMU has a normal status checker, unlike UT's, with which you may be more familiar.

My other status checker pages have this field as well.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:50 pm

jts723 wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
JRO1989 wrote: Do you have letters? I would definitely send them if you do.


Yeah I have two letters that I can send, which I intend to do. I'm mostly just curious about why that checkbox is showing up in my "requirements list." Has anyone else had this?

Because it's a requirement..

No it isn't.

"Letters of recommendation are optional. If you choose to submit letters of recommendation, we will accept up to three (3). Submit your letters of recommendation through the CAS Letter of Recommendation Service."

From: http://www.law.smu.edu/Prospective-Stud ... Apply.aspx

Just went back and found this too. My bad. I thought I remembered them being required.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:Where exactly is the tracker you're referring to? I can't find a "Requirements" section like what you're describing associated with any of my applications.


On the SMU status checker, in the bottom right there is a "Requirements List" field/box. SMU has a normal status checker, unlike UT's, with which you may be more familiar.

My other status checker pages have this field as well.


Ah, okay. I'll have to check my SMU tracker when I get home. I thought you might have been talking about the LSAC page, since I didn't know how/why SMU would know that you had transmitted two LORs to LSAC if you hadn't had them sent to SMU.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:12 pm

This is how my requirements field reads:

Checked: Application Received
Checked: CAS Report Received
Checked: Personal Statement Received
Checked: Resume Received
unChecked: Two Letters of Recommendation Received

Thanks for checking Scott, I appreciate it. Just to reiterate, my application is "Complete," which makes this doubly confusing.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Pneumonia wrote:This is how my requirements field reads:

Checked: Application Received
Checked: CAS Report Received
Checked: Personal Statement Received
Checked: Resume Received
unChecked: Two Letters of Recommendation Received

Thanks for checking Scott, I appreciate it. Just to reiterate, my application is "Complete," which makes this doubly confusing.


Yeah, that's interesting - particularly that it specifically says "Two" Letters of recommendation. Either LSAC has told SMU that you have two LORs on file, and the tracker is just prompting you to submit them to SMU if you want to, or (and I think this is more likely), SMU *used* to have a requirement for two LORs, and it just hasn't been removed from the tracker.

When I was admitted, the tracker gave me an incorrect password to access the Admitted Students Website that made it pretty obvious that parts of the tracker hadn't been updated since last year.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:25 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Yeah, that's interesting - particularly that it specifically says "Two" Letters of recommendation. Either LSAC has told SMU that you have two LORs on file, and the tracker is just prompting you to submit them to SMU if you want to, or (and I think this is more likely), SMU *used* to have a requirement for two LORs, and it just hasn't been removed from the tracker.

When I was admitted, the tracker gave me an incorrect password to access the Admitted Students Website that made it pretty obvious that parts of the tracker hadn't been updated since last year.


I agree that the latter sounds most reasonable, especially since I have about half a dozen letters in LSAC (one prof wrote them school-specific). I'll update if it changes or anything, and appreciate further insight or commentary from any who are in a similar circumstance.

ETA: found this, which indicates that SMU required to LOR's as recently as 2010. Good call Scott.

http://www.applyingtoschool.com/forms/S ... sions.aspx

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:43 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
Yeah, that's interesting - particularly that it specifically says "Two" Letters of recommendation. Either LSAC has told SMU that you have two LORs on file, and the tracker is just prompting you to submit them to SMU if you want to, or (and I think this is more likely), SMU *used* to have a requirement for two LORs, and it just hasn't been removed from the tracker.

When I was admitted, the tracker gave me an incorrect password to access the Admitted Students Website that made it pretty obvious that parts of the tracker hadn't been updated since last year.


I agree that the latter sounds most reasonable, especially since I have about half a dozen letters in LSAC (one prof wrote them school-specific). I'll update if it changes or anything, and appreciate further insight or commentary from any who are in a similar circumstance.

ETA: found this, which indicates that SMU required to LOR's as recently as 2010. Good call Scott.

http://www.applyingtoschool.com/forms/S ... sions.aspx



Even their 2013-2014 Law Course Catalog lists two LORs as a requirement (page 68). Sounds like there's nothing to worry about, especially since your application has been marked 'complete' even without them.

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:01 pm

Just checked my status..

I'M IN!!!

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:03 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:Just checked my status..

I'M IN!!!


Same!

JRO1989
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby JRO1989 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:06 pm

Congratulations!!!

User avatar
Snowboarder1588
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 am

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Congrats you guys! do you mind sharing your numbers?

User avatar
jts723
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby jts723 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:18 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:Just checked my status..

I'M IN!!!

Congrats!!!!

User avatar
TheJanitor6203
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:23 pm

161/3.3

User avatar
Doctolaw
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:00 am

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Doctolaw » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:23 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:Just checked my status..

I'M IN!!!


Hooray and congrats!

User avatar
Doctolaw
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:00 am

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Doctolaw » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:Just checked my status..

I'M IN!!!


Same!



Way to go!

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: SMU C/O 2017 (2013-2014 Applicants)

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:25 pm

Snowboarder1588 wrote:Congrats you guys! do you mind sharing your numbers?


mid 170's LSAT, GPA above the 25th but not by much. Texas resident, but did not write a "Why SMU."




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”