Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How Many Date Changes Have You Had?

0
36
15%
1
41
17%
2
53
22%
3
62
26%
4
20
8%
5+
30
12%
 
Total votes: 242

User avatar
esrom55
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby esrom55 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:22 am

JustHawkin wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:Your alumni interview sounds.....romantic.

Regarding the suit issue, I attended a business casual interview in a suit under the logic that looking your best never makes a bad impression. Even at a bar, men in suits look assertive. The imagined downside risk of looking like you're trying too hard doesn't seem plausible to me. Of course you're trying hard--this is important to you.

TCR, as long as you're not a stiffie.


Or have a stiffie....those are really hard to hide in suits.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:32 am

kcdc1 wrote:Your alumni interview sounds.....romantic.

Regarding the suit issue, I attended a business casual interview in a suit under the logic that looking your best never makes a bad impression. Even at a bar, men in suits look assertive. The imagined downside risk of looking like you're trying too hard doesn't seem plausible to me. Of course you're trying hard--this is important to you.


Yeah, I guess it partly depends on the general culture/norms of whatever area or city you're in. It's ultimately a matter of judgement. If I had worn a suit to that interview in that setting, it would have been overkill.

I think by not wearing a suit it became less of an "interview" and more of a relaxing, friendly conversation. Getting your interviewer out of interviewer mode creates a different environment that can actually be to your benefit.

The giant caveat is that this is dependent on where you're meeting. For instance my Northwestern interview was in the attorney's office during the early afternoon, and so I wore a suit to this one.

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2082
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby BmoreOrLess » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:41 am

lawschool22 wrote:Yeah, I guess it partly depends on the general culture/norms of whatever area or city you're in. It's ultimately a matter of judgement. If I had worn a suit to that interview in that setting, it would have been overkill.

I think by not wearing a suit it became less of an "interview" and more of a relaxing, friendly conversation. Getting your interviewer out of interviewer mode creates a different environment that can actually be to your benefit.

The giant caveat is that this is dependent on where you're meeting. For instance my Northwestern interview was in the attorney's office during the early afternoon, and so I wore a suit to this one.


This is all credited.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1753
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby JustHawkin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:28 pm

Does anyone else regularly have trouble logging into the status checker? The page wont load.

zlatanlaw
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby zlatanlaw » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:41 pm

Anyone else who was held get any activity this week? I got an update on 1/14. I first went complete 9/20, had an update 9/30, then was held 10/15 and haven't had any activity till the 1/14 update.

gta
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby gta » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:48 pm

lawschool22 wrote:The giant caveat is that this is dependent on where you're meeting. For instance my Northwestern interview was in the attorney's office during the early afternoon, and so I wore a suit to this one.


It's amazing to me how many people forget this.

kcdc1
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby kcdc1 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:12 pm

Did anyone who had an interview this week (1/13-1/17) also get a decision this week? I have heard that they can get back very quickly, and it's difficult to stop obsessively checking now.

User avatar
emmybee
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:03 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby emmybee » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:20 pm

kcdc1 wrote:Did anyone who had an interview this week (1/13-1/17) also get a decision this week? I have heard that they can get back very quickly, and it's difficult to stop obsessively checking now.


If you're accepted the decision will come in the mail, so no need to obsess over the status checker, if that's what you meant by "obsessively checking." I think the decision turn around is fast, but probably not quite that fast to get you a decision after interviewing this week. I could be wrong though. Good luck!

SparkyZZZ
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby SparkyZZZ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:27 pm

zlatanlaw wrote:Anyone else who was held get any activity this week? I got an update on 1/14. I first went complete 9/20, had an update 9/30, then was held 10/15 and haven't had any activity till the 1/14 update.



I think I was in the first round of holds, and there hasn't been any activity on my status checker since early December...might be a good sign for you (fingers crossed).

User avatar
jasper09
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby jasper09 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:27 pm

emmybee wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:Did anyone who had an interview this week (1/13-1/17) also get a decision this week? I have heard that they can get back very quickly, and it's difficult to stop obsessively checking now.


If you're accepted the decision will come in the mail, so no need to obsess over the status checker, if that's what you meant by "obsessively checking." I think the decision turn around is fast, but probably not quite that fast to get you a decision after interviewing this week. I could be wrong though. Good luck!


First post after lurking for many, many weeks...hi guys!

To emmybee's point above, FWIW I had a group interview at Georgetown this week, and the Dean indicated that some folks would hear within a few days, and others within a few weeks. My status date changed the day after the interview, but understandably, I haven't seen anything in the mail yet.

kcdc1
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby kcdc1 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:39 pm

Decent chance we interviewed together. For those with a group interview in the future, mine was actually surprisingly fun.

EEguy5
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby EEguy5 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Finally able to get a password! I've gathered this is a good sign.

Above 75th LSAT, below 25th GPA
Submitted mid november
interview 1/10
status updates 1/13, 1/14, 1/15
able to get password 1/18

Tela1283
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby Tela1283 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:45 pm

has anyone heard anything about scholarships or when we might hear?

thanks!

User avatar
scoobysnax
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby scoobysnax » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:51 am

Tela1283 wrote:has anyone heard anything about scholarships or when we might hear?

thanks!


From the Georgetown thread in C/O 2017 forum:
kraffcook wrote:
Last year, GULC sent out e-mails in early February informing admitted students that they were being considered for scholarships and asking for a short response asking how much you want and why. It was a really odd system, but I'm assuming they're continuing it this year. Some people got additional e-mails from them, but most people got scholarship information in March. Merit scholarships are not nearly as common as need-based, although need is usually taken into account when looking at merit awards too. When I applied, I informed GULC how much I was being offered by another school and they gave me a combination of need and merit aid to exceed that school's award and basically put me in a position where I had no reason not to come here (and I'm glad I did).

c0llegeStUd3nt
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby c0llegeStUd3nt » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:44 pm

Anyone have a one-on-one alum interview that can share how it went? Mine is coming up soon

User avatar
emmybee
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:03 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby emmybee » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:21 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:Anyone have a one-on-one alum interview that can share how it went? Mine is coming up soon


Read through this thread. Lots of good advice about one-on-one alumni interviews in here. Mine was very causal and relaxed. Just talk about why you love Georgetown and be prepared to discuss any element in your application. Good luck!

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby kershka » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:34 pm

scoobysnax wrote:
kraffcook wrote:
Last year, GULC sent out e-mails in early February informing admitted students that they were being considered for scholarships and asking for a short response asking how much you want and why. It was a really odd system, but I'm assuming they're continuing it this year. Some people got additional e-mails from them, but most people got scholarship information in March. Merit scholarships are not nearly as common as need-based, although need is usually taken into account when looking at merit awards too. When I applied, I informed GULC how much I was being offered by another school and they gave me a combination of need and merit aid to exceed that school's award and basically put me in a position where I had no reason not to come here (and I'm glad I did).

What? Just, what? Does anyone have more information on that because that's really, really strange.

I'm sure it makes more sense then it seems to and students say things like "Well Harvard's offered me this and Virginia gave that so to attend GULC, I'd need at least X much" or "I am incredibly poor and need at least X to even survive" but I'm already picturing responses like this:

GULC: How much money do you want?
Student: Idk, how about $5 Million?
GULC: Why?
Student: I like money.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby chuckbass » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:38 pm

Starting to get really nervous considering I'm supposed to hear back about ED by this Friday :shock: Georgetown, please love me, and grace me with one of your deceptively small envelopes.

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby 04102014 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:28 pm

Any post-hold date changes? Looks like last year people were starting to see updates around this time. Usually three more post-hold updates followed by a decision.

apartius
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:04 am

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby apartius » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:26 pm

DC is suppose to get heavy snow tomorrow so we might all get delayed!

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby chuckbass » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:41 pm

apartius wrote:DC is suppose to get heavy snow tomorrow so we might all get delayed!

Ugh I will die.

zlatanlaw
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby zlatanlaw » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:05 am

ohpobrecito wrote:Any post-hold date changes? Looks like last year people were starting to see updates around this time. Usually three more post-hold updates followed by a decision.

I was held back on October 15th and got my first update on 1/14. Nothing since then though.

User avatar
cannibal ox
Posts: 2921
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby cannibal ox » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:07 am

What exactly is being 'held'? Sorry, I haven't kept up with this thread. I got my interview request (alumni) the first week of December and finally had a chance to do it today.

zlatanlaw
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby zlatanlaw » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:44 am

cannibal ox wrote:What exactly is being 'held'? Sorry, I haven't kept up with this thread. I got my interview request (alumni) the first week of December and finally had a chance to do it today.

It just means the admissions committee needs more time or whatever to have a better sense of the entire applicant pool before they make a final decision.

User avatar
cannibal ox
Posts: 2921
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Georgetown c/o 2017 Applicants Thread (2013-2014)

Postby cannibal ox » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:12 am

Do they give you an estimate of time before a decision, and has anyone had a decision after being held? Are you informed by status checker or email/mail/whatever?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 170orDie, hammy393, Lmorina126, NotAGolfer, thg1870, yuppitsme and 19 guests