UGA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cannibal ox

Re: UGA c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014)

Postby cannibal ox » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:08 pm

My "under review" went to "apply now!" as well. Might mean something, but I'm not going to read into it. LSN shows that the first reported decisions went out 2 weeks into November.

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:22 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:
deebanger wrote:
gregfootball2001 wrote:2L at Georgia here. Ask if you have questions. Good luck with the admissions process, all.

Hey greg! very nice of you for being helpful and I really appreciate your help.

1- I was wondering about the Georgia legal market? What's the general feel about it from a 2L perspective?.is it much better compared to 2008/2009.

2-And is it true that all big law jobs in GA are in atlanta. Does this put uga students at a disadvantage?. Once again thanks!

I'm a 1L at UGA so I can't comment on how this year's OCI went but I did just speak to someone at career services saying big law is usually only possible for kids in the top 15% and you might have an outside shot if you are top 20% and those numbers seem to line up with law school transparency. Most people are targeting Atlanta but I imagine if you have ties to another state and get good grades you could land a big firm gig somewhere else. All of this is grade dependent though so if you are going to UGA you can gun for big law but plan on not getting it and have a debt amount that you are comfortable with for if/when you do strike out going for big law. That's at least my advice.

Hey, sorry I didn't see this earlier.

I'd say the 1L is kinda right. Top 10% is pretty much golden when it comes to big law OCI. Past that, I'd say that kids out to top 25% actually have a shot - it just becomes less. I know a guy at top 20% with a job, and a top 15% w/o. Because the grades aren't as high, other things (moot, journal, WE) come into play. Not sure exactly how it was in 08-09, so can't comment on the difference. It's hard, but not insurmountable.

Not all the big law jobs are in atlanta. Depending on how you define big law, of course. There are a few firms from around the state (savannah, macon) that come to OCI. However, 85% or so (extremely estimated number) of good firm jobs are in atlanta.

Does the fact that most 'good outcome' jobs are in atlanta put Georgia at a disadvantage? No. First off, every firm has Georgia grads. Every firm. They don't mind driving the 90 minutes to visit the old stomping grounds, and they want to hire Georgia people. Going to Georgia is an advantage.

If you're actively looking to go out of state, sure it's possible - I have a friend going to DC, a friend going to TX, and a friend going to NY. And I don't know that many people, really. So it certainly happens. But Georgia isn't going to help you as much with that kind of stuff.

Regarding networking - I did an insane amount of lunches, drinks, and dinners with random lawyers during my 1L summer. It'll help you get a screener, but only doing well/being interesting gets you the job. Actually being in Atlanta would not have helped me at all. If you're really worried about networking, do lots of phone informationals, get a job in Atl 1L, and network. But in the end, getting good grades trumps all.

Please feel free to ask me to expand/follow up on anything if you have questions. I really don't want to do my admin homework.

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:28 pm

mine says "apply now" too and ive been under review for awhile :(

elideep

Postby elideep » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:40 pm

Checking in...went complete 10/2. UGA is tied for my top pick. I'm also showing in the status check that I still need to apply, after being under review for a few weeks. Hoping this means decisions, but doubtful we're that lucky.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:55 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:
lawhopeful10 wrote:
deebanger wrote:
gregfootball2001 wrote:2L at Georgia here. Ask if you have questions. Good luck with the admissions process, all.

1- I was wondering about the Georgia legal market? What's the general feel about it from a 2L perspective?.is it much better compared to 2008/2009.

2-And is it true that all big law jobs in GA are in atlanta. Does this put uga students at a disadvantage?. Once again thanks!

I'm a 1L at UGA so I can't comment on how this year's OCI went but I did just speak to someone at career services saying big law is usually only possible for kids in the top 15% and you might have an outside shot if you are top 20% and those numbers seem to line up with law school transparency. Most people are targeting Atlanta but I imagine if you have ties to another state and get good grades you could land a big firm gig somewhere else. All of this is grade dependent though so if you are going to UGA you can gun for big law but plan on not getting it and have a debt amount that you are comfortable with for if/when you do strike out going for big law. That's at least my advice.

I'd say the 1L is kinda right. Top 10% is pretty much golden when it comes to big law OCI. Past that, I'd say that kids out to top 25% actually have a shot - it just becomes less. I know a guy at top 20% with a job, and a top 15% w/o. Because the grades aren't as high, other things (moot, journal, WE) come into play. Not sure exactly how it was in 08-09, so can't comment on the difference. It's hard, but not insurmountable.

Not all the big law jobs are in atlanta. Depending on how you define big law, of course. There are a few firms from around the state (savannah, macon) that come to OCI. However, 85% or so (extremely estimated number) of good firm jobs are in atlanta.

Does the fact that most 'good outcome' jobs are in atlanta put Georgia at a disadvantage? No. First off, every firm has Georgia grads. Every firm. They don't mind driving the 90 minutes to visit the old stomping grounds, and they want to hire Georgia people. Going to Georgia is an advantage.

If you're actively looking to go out of state, sure it's possible - I have a friend going to DC, a friend going to TX, and a friend going to NY. And I don't know that many people, really. So it certainly happens. But Georgia isn't going to help you as much with that kind of stuff.

Regarding networking - I did an insane amount of lunches, drinks, and dinners with random lawyers during my 1L summer. It'll help you get a screener, but only doing well/being interesting gets you the job. Actually being in Atlanta would not have helped me at all. If you're really worried about networking, do lots of phone informationals, get a job in Atl 1L, and network. But in the end, getting good grades trumps all.

Please feel free to ask me to expand/follow up on anything if you have questions. I really don't want to do my admin homework.

Thank you Greg! u cleared up a lot of my q's. I was just a bit worried and did not know if that that georgia students who want atlanta firm jobs will be at a disdvantage as they are in athens. So to sum up, if u get good grades, and network, there is nothing that georgia students do not have that emory students have right?

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:36 pm

deebanger wrote:
gregfootball2001 wrote:
lawhopeful10 wrote:
deebanger wrote:

Thank you Greg! u cleared up a lot of my q's. I was just a bit worried and did not know if that that georgia students who want atlanta firm jobs will be at a disdvantage as they are in athens. So to sum up, if u get good grades, and network, there is nothing that georgia students do not have that emory students have right?

Agreed. All Emory students will have is 100k+ more debt. ;)

Now, LST shows that a higher percentage of students at emory get biglaw vs students at georgia. So do take that into account. However, don't forget that a sizeable percentage of emory kids go to NY (an arguably easier market). I've yet to see evidence that an Atlanta firm would prefer a student of either school over another. So, if you want to stay in Atl, you're fine at either. If you want to go elsewhere, you might want to consider emory or another school.

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:16 am

my status changed back to "under review"

glad they know I applied, but i was really hoping they made a decision

AT9

Postby AT9 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:13 am

One of the emails/informational packets I received from UGA said it's pretty easy to get in-state tuition after the first year. Can anyone attest to this? If so, the price becomes very comparable to my actual instate options, UF and FSU.

FWIW, I'm married, my spouse will likely be working while I'm in school, and I assume we would become GA residents when we move.

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:58 pm

AT9 wrote:One of the emails/informational packets I received from UGA said it's pretty easy to get in-state tuition after the first year. Can anyone attest to this? If so, the price becomes very comparable to my actual instate options, UF and FSU.

FWIW, I'm married, my spouse will likely be working while I'm in school, and I assume we would become GA residents when we move.

I have a bunch of friends that did this. I heard that it was kinda annoying, but I don't know anyone who didn't eventually become a GA resident. They have meetings about it and such as well.

Also, Georgia gives quite a few students in-state equalizer scholarships. They go away after 1L, but make it much cheaper overall. That's one of the reasons they don't give out quite as many scholarships as other places - they give this equalizer to lots of out-of-staters, making the tuition what other schools would be with scholarship.

Regarding your choices (and I see that you didn't ask for opinions, but hey, again, this is way better than homework), you should decide where you want to live after law school. Of course, neither Georgia nor the FL schools are going to get you jobs only in their respective states, but it's waaaay easier. I wouldn't go to FL hoping to work in Atlanta, and vice versa.

Good luck!

AT9

Postby AT9 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:34 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:
AT9 wrote:One of the emails/informational packets I received from UGA said it's pretty easy to get in-state tuition after the first year. Can anyone attest to this? If so, the price becomes very comparable to my actual instate options, UF and FSU.

I have a bunch of friends that did this. I heard that it was kinda annoying, but I don't know anyone who didn't eventually become a GA resident. They have meetings about it and such as well.

Also, Georgia gives quite a few students in-state equalizer scholarships. They go away after 1L, but make it much cheaper overall. That's one of the reasons they don't give out quite as many scholarships as other places - they give this equalizer to lots of out-of-staters, making the tuition what other schools would be with scholarship.

Regarding your choices (and I see that you didn't ask for opinions, but hey, again, this is way better than homework), you should decide where you want to live after law school. Of course, neither Georgia nor the FL schools are going to get you jobs only in their respective states, but it's waaaay easier. I wouldn't go to FL hoping to work in Atlanta, and vice versa.

Good luck!

Thanks! I don't know if I have the numbers for the in-state equalizer, but even OOS 1 year and in-state 2 years is reasonable at UGA. I'm not really partial to Florida. So if I get in and cost is similar at UGA, I'd probably go that route.

samoby

Postby samoby » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Checking in!

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:51 am

Checking in!

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:07 pm

IN!!!! just checked and it says "Congratulations! You have been admitted to Georgia Law's Class of 2017" :D

AT9

Postby AT9 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:18 pm

wsparker wrote:IN!!!! just checked and it says "Congratulations! You have been admitted to Georgia Law's Class of 2017" :D

In as well via status checker!! Congrats!

(Numbers in profile btw)

elideep

Postby elideep » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:26 pm

Admitted via status checker! Haven't received email yet. Congrats to all y'all!

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Admitted via status checker.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Wow! That's awesome guys! Can you guys provide a timeline so we know what to expect?

wsparker

Postby wsparker » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:38 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Wow! That's awesome guys! Can you guys provide a timeline so we know what to expect?

Applied in Sept. (received the 19th) and went Complete 10/1

Congrats to everyone!

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:38 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Wow! That's awesome guys! Can you guys provide a timeline so we know what to expect?

Submitted 9/23
Received 9/24
Accepted 10/29

Did not receive a "complete" status, just an "under review" in my status checker as soon as I logged into it.

bricotta12

Postby bricotta12 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:29 pm

Accepted as well! Congrats to everyone who is receiving good news today!

lost129

Postby lost129 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:00 pm

Last edited by lost129 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 pm

status checker isn't showing me my status

OliveBC

Postby OliveBC » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:24 pm

In via status checker as well!

jts723

Postby jts723 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Just submitted my application

AT9

Postby AT9 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:48 pm

cannibal ox wrote:

Submitted 9/23
Received 9/24
Accepted 10/29

Did not receive a "complete" status, just an "under review" in my status checker as soon as I logged into it.

My timeline was about the same.

Of the 3 schools on my list where it wouldn't be insane to pay sticker (assuming I can get in-state), UGA is my best option. Very exciting to get this acceptance!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”