Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which city is your 180 destination for employment?

Austin
15
26%
Houston
8
14%
DFW
15
26%
San Antonio
3
5%
Other TX
0
No votes
Out of state Tri-state area
4
7%
Out of state CA area
10
18%
Out of state Chicago area
1
2%
Out of state Midwest area
1
2%
Out of state flyover state
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 57

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Glasseyes » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:34 am

str8yolked wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:Submitted my requested Why UT? statement on Thursday... accepted today! Offsets my rejection letter from Michigan that came in 20 minutes later by a fair amount (it was a crazy reach anyway).


Congrats!

How long was your statement? I just submitted mine, it was about half a page.


I wrote it in gmail, so I can't say for sure, but probably about a page. Dean Ingram acknowledged receipt yesterday afternoon (working from her ipad on a sunday, which rules), and I got the call today. I hope you get in, too!

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Glasseyes » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:43 am

kobe1020 wrote:
angels2fly wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:Submitted my requested Why UT? statement on Thursday... accepted today! Offsets my rejection letter from Michigan that came in 20 minutes later by a fair amount (it was a crazy reach anyway).


did they request it? mine went complete on 1/21 so now its been a little more than two weeks.. so i'm thinking should i write one and send it over to them too, or just wait..


haha misread thanks !


The impression I got from the email request they sent to me -- and maybe others with more experience in this thread can correct me if I'm wrong -- but they're using the Why UT statement especially for non-residents, and it seems to serve two distinct functions. For out of staters with high numbers, it's to gauge legitimate interest (for YP, presumably); and then -- here's where I start making assumptions based on my own circumstances and outcome -- for folks like me, whose numbers are on the cusp but have a strong application package (story, softs, & WE) this is a way of testing our commitment and writing ability once more. Every school seems to handle these two things differently, but there are similarities on some level: Northwestern's optional essays for held students seem to be there to serve the same purpose. They want us to work for it.

FWIW, I don't think I'd submit it until they ask for it, but I'd rather keep my itchy trigger to myself just out of principle.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:44 am

Glasseyes wrote:
str8yolked wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:Submitted my requested Why UT? statement on Thursday... accepted today! Offsets my rejection letter from Michigan that came in 20 minutes later by a fair amount (it was a crazy reach anyway).


Congrats!

How long was your statement? I just submitted mine, it was about half a page.


I wrote it in gmail, so I can't say for sure, but probably about a page. Dean Ingram acknowledged receipt yesterday afternoon (working from her ipad on a sunday, which rules), and I got the call today. I hope you get in, too!


We've had a lot of weather closings, so pretty nice that she is working weekends.

User avatar
MnM22
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby MnM22 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:29 am

Got an email from Texas Tech...Troll

User avatar
El Cunado
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:29 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby El Cunado » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:22 pm

Accepted today!

It is going to be hard to turn down that in-state tuition.....

User avatar
Savage13
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Savage13 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:27 pm

How long does it typically take to receive scholarship info after being accepted?

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:28 pm

Savage13 wrote:How long does it typically take to receive scholarship info after being accepted?


Dean Ingram said on the facebook 4 weeks or assume none (basically, not that blunt about it).

uvandy
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:24 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby uvandy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:22 pm

Does UT have trackers for everyone? I received a tracker notification from other schools within a day or two except here. I submitted my app two weeks ago and haven't heard anything.

str8yolked
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:56 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby str8yolked » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:56 pm

In!!!

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:08 pm

btw the credited option for "Why Texas" is 1 page, PDF, header with LSAC#/name like on your personal statement. They are open to receiving them from anyone, just email and ask if you can submit one and they'll tell you how (there isn't an option on LSAC app).

User avatar
kirbyb
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby kirbyb » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:19 pm

uvandy wrote:Does UT have trackers for everyone? I received a tracker notification from other schools within a day or two except here. I submitted my app two weeks ago and haven't heard anything.


no tracker here. last email I got from them was "application received"

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:17 pm

uvandy wrote:Does UT have trackers for everyone? I received a tracker notification from other schools within a day or two except here. I submitted my app two weeks ago and haven't heard anything.


Yes. UT has a pointless status checker that you'll receive eventually.

uvandy
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:24 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby uvandy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:27 am

Attax wrote:
uvandy wrote:Does UT have trackers for everyone? I received a tracker notification from other schools within a day or two except here. I submitted my app two weeks ago and haven't heard anything.


Yes. UT has a pointless status checker that you'll receive eventually.

So you're saying there's a chance![/Lloyd] Finally read this entire thread and it seems like 2+ weeks is the norm for the status email.

User avatar
MnM22
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby MnM22 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:23 pm

Went complete the 28th and got the status checker today.

Hopefully I'll be hearing from them soon!

User avatar
Fianna13
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Fianna13 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Got the Chancellors!

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:02 pm

Fianna13 wrote:Got the Chancellors!


Congrats!!

User avatar
blink
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby blink » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:11 pm

Fianna13 wrote:Got the Chancellors!


Congrats!!
whats that worth?

User avatar
Fianna13
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Fianna13 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:16 pm

On the letter it said 3 years of tuition and other required fees, which amounts to about 96K. ( I'm a in-state resident)

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:15 pm

Congrats! That's an awesome scholarship to have!

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby kobe1020 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:21 pm

Fianna13 wrote:On the letter it said 3 years of tuition and other required fees, which amounts to about 96K. ( I'm a in-state resident)


so basically full-ride.

AWESOME ACCOMPLISHMENT

fatheranderson15
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby fatheranderson15 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:26 pm

In! Got the call earlier today.

GPA at 25%, LSAT>75%, non-URM. Out of state, submitted a Why UT when they emailed requesting one.

User avatar
blink
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby blink » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:55 pm

Fianna13 wrote:On the letter it said 3 years of tuition and other required fees, which amounts to about 96K. ( I'm a in-state resident)


mind sharing stats?

User avatar
TeddyPicker
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:18 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby TeddyPicker » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:24 pm

Moving a conversation with Attax over here...

I scored a 169, and as an in-state URM I feel good about my chances. I got my status checker on wednesday so I'm on pins and needles!

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:26 pm

TeddyPicker wrote:Moving a conversation with Attax over here...

I scored a 169, and as an in-state URM I feel good about my chances. I got my status checker on wednesday so I'm on pins and needles!


The status checker is pointless! I got in with a 168/2.7 (2.81 now, woohoo for upward trends!)

You really should be fine. See here: http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1314

Good luck :)

User avatar
TeddyPicker
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:18 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby TeddyPicker » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:28 pm

Attax wrote:
TeddyPicker wrote:Moving a conversation with Attax over here...

I scored a 169, and as an in-state URM I feel good about my chances. I got my status checker on wednesday so I'm on pins and needles!


The status checker is pointless! I got in with a 168/2.7 (2.81 now, woohoo for upward trends!)

You really should be fine. See here: http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1314

Good luck :)



Haha well damn! I thought it meant I'd get an answer soon. Glad to see that I have a good shot, though. We already talked about WUSTL but like I said, UT is THE school...especially for anyone coming from SoTex.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, Google Adsense [Bot], harmcharm, hweigel, Snowjon and 20 guests