Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which city is your 180 destination for employment?

Austin
15
26%
Houston
8
14%
DFW
15
26%
San Antonio
3
5%
Other TX
0
No votes
Out of state Tri-state area
4
7%
Out of state CA area
10
18%
Out of state Chicago area
1
2%
Out of state Midwest area
1
2%
Out of state flyover state
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 57

User avatar
tofuspeedstar
Posts: 5737
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby tofuspeedstar » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:28 pm

rion91 wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:In! :) Got my fee waiver in the mail and submitted my ED form to admissions :D

How did you get a fee waiver in the mail?



e-mail I mean. My bad.

User avatar
Mojosodope
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Mojosodope » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:50 pm

will be applying after Oct scores are in

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:55 pm

I know that UT's binding ED option is a new thing, so there may not be a good answer, but is there likely to be an advantage to getting an application in now, compared to just before the ED deadline?

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:37 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:I know that UT's binding ED option is a new thing, so there may not be a good answer, but is there likely to be an advantage to getting an application in now, compared to just before the ED deadline?


Probably not. I assume they would just look at all ED applicants as one big pool before making any decisions.

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:08 pm

So eh, this looks new.

All Early Decision applicants receive a final decision much earlier than those applying under Regular Decision. In addition to earlier notification, non-resident admitted students will receive a Non-Resident Tuition Exemption (NRTE) waiver. Students who receive a NRTE are only responsible for paying tuition at resident rates for all three years at the law school. Admitted Texas residents will receive a $10,000 housing stipend annually. In both cases, students must remain in good academic standing.


http://www.utexas.edu/law/admissions/jd/faqs.php

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:49 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:So eh, this looks new.

All Early Decision applicants receive a final decision much earlier than those applying under Regular Decision. In addition to earlier notification, non-resident admitted students will receive a Non-Resident Tuition Exemption (NRTE) waiver. Students who receive a NRTE are only responsible for paying tuition at resident rates for all three years at the law school. Admitted Texas residents will receive a $10,000 housing stipend annually. In both cases, students must remain in good academic standing.


http://www.utexas.edu/law/admissions/jd/faqs.php


Interesting...I won't touch the paying resident sticker part but basically a guaranteed 10K scholarship might make sense for some residents depending on their numbers, if they have maxed LSAT attempts, and if UT is hands down their top choice.

I do think that Texas residents applying to UT should play around with LSN and see what LSAT/GPA combos were getting what dollar amounts this past cycle. UT might not be so generous but I suspect that they will be and just bumping up the LSAT a point or three for some people might be worth far more than this 10K scholarship.

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby El Principe » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:09 am

If that 10K scholarship is for ED, I probably should have ED'ed.

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:39 pm

tofuspeedstar wrote:
rion91 wrote:
tofuspeedstar wrote:In! :) Got my fee waiver in the mail and submitted my ED form to admissions :D

How did you get a fee waiver in the mail?



e-mail I mean. My bad.

I see.

Probably going to send in my app early next week... :D

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lemons » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:17 pm

checking in! :)

User avatar
grungy89
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby grungy89 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:04 am

Checking in! Applied ED and went complete 9/25. It took about a week to get a status checker email, which was longer than all other schools I've applied to. UT is a reach for me, but hoping ED helps. Saw a graph somewhere online that shows the first wave of decisions coming out in Nov., but with this new binding ED it very well could be Dec. 31st. Good luck to everyone and please pass word on any decisions!

Resilient
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:12 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Resilient » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:10 am

[]
Last edited by Resilient on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

happycitrus
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:09 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby happycitrus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Checking in! I grew up in Texas so I wouldn't mind heading back home for law school :)

User avatar
jts723
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jts723 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:54 am

Checking in. I'm a Texas resident, but I've been stuck in Michigan for the last 3+ years. I definitely wouldn't mind heading back to Texas. :D

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:19 pm

Vursz wrote:
californiauser wrote:I have Texas resident status, and just got a non-financial need waiver. Not sure if they're going out more broadly.


TX residents get a waiver, got mine too!

User avatar
samoby
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby samoby » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Checking in!

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:26 pm

ED app complete and submitted. I know their ED option is new; I wonder how long it will take to get a decision?

User avatar
jts723
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby jts723 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:44 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:ED app complete and submitted. I know their ED option is new; I wonder how long it will take to get a decision?

From the admissions website: "All Early Decision applicants receive a final decision by the end of December."

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:55 pm

jts723 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:ED app complete and submitted. I know their ED option is new; I wonder how long it will take to get a decision?

From the admissions website: "All Early Decision applicants receive a final decision by the end of December."



I know, and it's nice to have a "no later than" date; I'm just hoping that it won't take the full two months.

EEguy5
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EEguy5 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:16 pm

Does Texas accept extra Addendum? Specifically anyone submitting a Why X? With the 2 page PS limit I don't have room to add any school specifics there, there are no optional essays, and I don't see anywhere to attach extra documents. Maybe I answered my own question, but just want to make sure.

User avatar
cannibal ox
Posts: 2921
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby cannibal ox » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:38 pm

EEguy5 wrote:Does Texas accept extra Addendum? Specifically anyone submitting a Why X? With the 2 page PS limit I don't have room to add any school specifics there, there are no optional essays, and I don't see anywhere to attach extra documents. Maybe I answered my own question, but just want to make sure.


I wanted to write a Why Texas? essay but my PS was also at the maximum length, and attaching it to any of the other options seemed inappropriate, so I ended up just relying on the small section where it asks why you're applying to relay my reasons.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:44 pm

My application was super sparse and had no why UT at all and it didn't matter

All that matters is DEM NUMBERS

EEguy5
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby EEguy5 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:50 pm

BigZuck wrote:My application was super sparse and had no why UT at all and it didn't matter

All that matters is DEM NUMBERS


cannibal ox wrote:
EEguy5 wrote:Does Texas accept extra Addendum? Specifically anyone submitting a Why X? With the 2 page PS limit I don't have room to add any school specifics there, there are no optional essays, and I don't see anywhere to attach extra documents. Maybe I answered my own question, but just want to make sure.


I wanted to write a Why Texas? essay but my PS was also at the maximum length, and attaching it to any of the other options seemed inappropriate, so I ended up just relying on the small section where it asks why you're applying to relay my reasons.


Perfect, exactly what I wanted to confirm. Thanks!

User avatar
nicholasavallone
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:50 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby nicholasavallone » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:55 pm

Checking in, RD out of state, fee waiver from CRS. Went complete 10/24, no movement since.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:58 pm

nicholasavallone wrote:Checking in, RD out of state, fee waiver from CRS. Went complete 10/24, no movement since.


After you've used the tracker to confirm that your application's complete, do you keep going back there checking for a decision, or do we hear about that via email or phone call first?

User avatar
nicholasavallone
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:50 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby nicholasavallone » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:05 pm

According to last year's forum, the first decisions were on the status checker first, around this time (early Novemberish).

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=192137&hilit=2016+Austin&start=100




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, JosefK, potterotter, tangers91 and 29 guests