Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which city is your 180 destination for employment?

Austin
15
26%
Houston
8
14%
DFW
15
26%
San Antonio
3
5%
Other TX
0
No votes
Out of state Tri-state area
4
7%
Out of state CA area
10
18%
Out of state Chicago area
1
2%
Out of state Midwest area
1
2%
Out of state flyover state
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 57

smurffff
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby smurffff » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:28 pm

the_dude83 wrote:
smurffff wrote:Applied late (3/11) -- they sent me an email with a fee waiver/extended deadline.

i think you were subject to some preferential treatment! Bravo!


Thank you very much!
I haven't been following this thread, so I don't know where everyone stands, but good luck!

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5680
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BVest » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:42 pm

smurffff wrote:Just to let y'all know -- in via phone just now (11:20 EST). 171 LSAT, 3.55 GPA at a Seven Sister, pretty good softs.
smurffff wrote:Applied late (3/11) -- they sent me an email with a fee waiver/extended deadline.


Congrats!

Sounds like they needed some more LSATs.

uguisu
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:13 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby uguisu » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:17 am

Hmm. Looks like I got in, but never got the email.

First word I got was an invite to a facebook group that didn't tell me I was in. Then a couple days later, the status checker tells me I'm in. But still no email.

Postal mail will take a good long while to get here.

If anyone is keeping stats, 169/3.7 (at a not-so-good school) no freaking idea how to rate my softs.

bmr456
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bmr456 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:25 pm

When did you apply?

uguisu
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:13 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby uguisu » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:48 pm

bmr456 wrote:When did you apply?


Early morning (Texas time) February 28. I'd guess that was the last day before deadline.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5680
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BVest » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:12 pm

uguisu wrote:Hmm. Looks like I got in, but never got the email.

First word I got was an invite to a facebook group that didn't tell me I was in. Then a couple days later, the status checker tells me I'm in. But still no email.

Postal mail will take a good long while to get here.

If anyone is keeping stats, 169/3.7 (at a not-so-good school) no freaking idea how to rate my softs.


What do you know? The status checker actually gave at least one person useful information.

Hrun
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Hrun » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:43 am

Just got rejected. :( At their median. I was really interested in returning to Texas. I guess my URM status didn't make a difference.

hector
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby hector » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:46 pm

I received my call of acceptance around March 20th, and haven't received any information related to my scholarship. :cry: Any hope to get some $$? The deadline April 15 is approaching.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:32 pm


Tony Soprano
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Tony Soprano » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:15 pm

Attax wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=texas

How bout 'dem apples!


Does anybody know if they'll be keeping class sizes smaller like the last two years LST shows? Will they just supplement the class with transfers? I'm impressed with their drop down to the lower 300s.

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:21 pm

Tony Soprano wrote:
Attax wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=texas

How bout 'dem apples!


Does anybody know if they'll be keeping class sizes smaller like the last two years LST shows? Will they just supplement the class with transfers? I'm impressed with their drop down to the lower 300s.


I think they have been taking in buttloads of transfers

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:21 pm

Attax wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=texas

How bout 'dem apples!


~42% Biglaw/A3 clerkships? Sounds pretty good. And since at least some of the class probably won't be aiming for either one, that makes me think that being anywhere above median at least puts you solidly in the running if that's what you're looking for.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:24 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Attax wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=texas

How bout 'dem apples!


~42% Biglaw/A3 clerkships? Sounds pretty good. And since at least some of the class probably won't be aiming for either one, that makes me think that being anywhere above median at least puts you solidly in the running if that's what you're looking for.


Agreed, and NALP data seems to support this. Once you consider PI as well (which some people are gunning for), top 1/2 seems like a solid place to be.

NALP data being that many firms I've looked up require top 50% at UT to get a screener interview.

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:00 pm

Attax wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
Attax wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=texas

How bout 'dem apples!


~42% Biglaw/A3 clerkships? Sounds pretty good. And since at least some of the class probably won't be aiming for either one, that makes me think that being anywhere above median at least puts you solidly in the running if that's what you're looking for.


Agreed, and NALP data seems to support this. Once you consider PI as well (which some people are gunning for), top 1/2 seems like a solid place to be.

NALP data being that many firms I've looked up require top 50% at UT to get a screener interview.


From what I understand what firms openly say about their cutoffs is pretty useless. The CSO has information on what GPAs get screeners with what firms, you can probably get access to that when you start in the fall.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:06 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Attax wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
Attax wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=texas

How bout 'dem apples!


~42% Biglaw/A3 clerkships? Sounds pretty good. And since at least some of the class probably won't be aiming for either one, that makes me think that being anywhere above median at least puts you solidly in the running if that's what you're looking for.


Agreed, and NALP data seems to support this. Once you consider PI as well (which some people are gunning for), top 1/2 seems like a solid place to be.

NALP data being that many firms I've looked up require top 50% at UT to get a screener interview.


From what I understand what firms openly say about their cutoffs is pretty useless. The CSO has information on what GPAs get screeners with what firms, you can probably get access to that when you start in the fall.


That was the impression I got from talking with them at ASW, and would take your word for it. I take the NALP stuff to be mostly a "this is the absolute lowest we will go, but may have higher standards."

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:11 pm

Could be that way but oftentimes they have much lower standards. There a lot of firms that ask for top 10%+Law Review/Moot Court. Good luck with that, firms.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:27 pm

BigZuck wrote:Could be that way but oftentimes they have much lower standards. There a lot of firms that ask for top 10%+Law Review/Moot Court. Good luck with that, firms.


That's what I meant, by lower standards I meant "we won't go lower into the class."

AKA: gunners only plz.

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:36 pm

Attax wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Could be that way but oftentimes they have much lower standards. There a lot of firms that ask for top 10%+Law Review/Moot Court. Good luck with that, firms.


That's what I meant, by lower standards I meant "we won't go lower into the class."

AKA: gunners only plz.


And I'm saying they will. I mean, maybe not all of them but some. There's only so many Top 10% law reviewing mooters to go around.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:44 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Attax wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Could be that way but oftentimes they have much lower standards. There a lot of firms that ask for top 10%+Law Review/Moot Court. Good luck with that, firms.


That's what I meant, by lower standards I meant "we won't go lower into the class."

AKA: gunners only plz.


And I'm saying they will. I mean, maybe not all of them but some. There's only so many Top 10% law reviewing mooters to go around.


Whoops, just realized that I hadn't even posted what I originally was looking at. I've seen some firms saying you must be top 50%.

I hate thought loops like the one I'm currently stuck in.

-dasein-
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:52 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby -dasein- » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi folks. Recently accepted and pretty excited. Was surprised to see no financial aid info in letter though. Does that come separately or does this mean I didn't get anything?

If it comes separately what format does it come in?

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:35 pm

It should come separately as a letter.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5680
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BVest » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:30 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Tony Soprano wrote:
Attax wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=texas

How bout 'dem apples!


Does anybody know if they'll be keeping class sizes smaller like the last two years LST shows? Will they just supplement the class with transfers? I'm impressed with their drop down to the lower 300s.


I think they have been taking in buttloads of transfers


Well, they did last year, but that's the only year so far.

User avatar
PB&J.D.
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby PB&J.D. » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:47 pm

Any recommendations on timing for scholly negotiation emails? Before/after the deposit deadline? I applied later in the cycle so I'm still waiting to hear back from NU, which is really only relevant with $$. (No initial offer from UT)
*Have multiple +50% offers from T20s

User avatar
njdevils2626
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby njdevils2626 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:14 pm

Lurker, but I applied late after they sent me a fee waiver and just found out I got snagged by the waitlist today. Will likely ride it out to see what happens

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:42 am

PB&J.D. wrote:Any recommendations on timing for scholly negotiation emails? Before/after the deposit deadline? I applied later in the cycle so I'm still waiting to hear back from NU, which is really only relevant with $$. (No initial offer from UT)
*Have multiple +50% offers from T20s


Good luck :D

Also, good resource for those considering Texas. Gives you a nice overview of our nice state's legal economy (though from 2006, most of it still stands).

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/career/ ... t_2006.pdf




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Automotomayor, JazzyMac, nightie and 6 guests