Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which city is your 180 destination for employment?

Austin
15
26%
Houston
8
14%
DFW
15
26%
San Antonio
3
5%
Other TX
0
No votes
Out of state Tri-state area
4
7%
Out of state CA area
10
18%
Out of state Chicago area
1
2%
Out of state Midwest area
1
2%
Out of state flyover state
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 57

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby El Principe » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:56 pm

whjohnso444 wrote:
Attax wrote:
whjohnso444 wrote:3 weeks and no scholly email. Should I assume I got nothing? Should I try them with a wustl match? They would probably just laugh at me but I guess it's worth a try. Surprised I got in with. 3.2 168. Would you guys pay sticker for texas? I'm not a resident, but have some relatives in Austin so maybe I could fanagle in state for the last few years somehow.


I am in state and wouldn't pay sticker. I have the same LSAT and a less GPA and I got $. I'd prob pay, at most 1/2 the in state tuition myself.

Texas is the only school that seems to want you to jump through their hoops as much as Northwestern does.


How long did it take for you to get a scholly email?


I think it was 1-2 weeks for me, maybe 3. I can't remember because I don't keep all of the dates down, but it wasn't terribly long.

User avatar
vineyardchick07
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby vineyardchick07 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:26 pm

Last edited by vineyardchick07 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:35 pm

vineyardchick07 wrote:Something to chew on:

http://www.texastribune.org/2014/03/25/ ... rs-deepen/

This problem has been known for so long now. I hope that guy gets impeached. All the drama from UT of the past year has been rooted in the regent power struggle. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a tipping point for Dodds leaving.

User avatar
Cactus
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Cactus » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:57 pm

El Principe wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:anyone submitted $$$ matching request yet?

i know someone got 81k from Vandy submitted, then got a solid NO, total $ from UT is still $0

He withdrew immediately.


Wow, really?!

They don't negotiate with Vandy offers? Nuts.


I am curious to hear how other scholarship negotiations have gone. I am certainly grateful for my scholarship to UT, especially with in-state tuition factored in, but I am keen to try and leverage my other scholarships.

I've received a similar award from Vandy, and very generous offers from other T-20s (i.e. USC, Emory, Notre Dame), but I'm sure that UT does not view them as peers. With in-state tuition, the COA for UT is roughly the same as Vandy, and marginally higher than the lesser schools listed above.

Any other anecdotal experiences of how UT looks at these situations? Or recommendations on how to proceed? I am tempted to not even bother negotiating..

BigZuck
Posts: 10875
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:01 pm

Cactus wrote:
El Principe wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:anyone submitted $$$ matching request yet?

i know someone got 81k from Vandy submitted, then got a solid NO, total $ from UT is still $0

He withdrew immediately.


Wow, really?!

They don't negotiate with Vandy offers? Nuts.


I am curious to hear how other scholarship negotiations have gone. I am certainly grateful for my scholarship to UT, especially with in-state tuition factored in, but I am keen to try and leverage my other scholarships.

I've received a similar award from Vandy, and very generous offers from other T-20s (i.e. USC, Emory, Notre Dame), but I'm sure that UT does not view them as peers. With in-state tuition, the COA for UT is roughly the same as Vandy, and marginally higher than the lesser schools listed above.

Any other anecdotal experiences of how UT looks at these situations? Or recommendations on how to proceed? I am tempted to not even bother negotiating..


I'm guessing they'll look at it like this: From their perspective, why should UT offer more if they are the same price as a peer (Vandy) and marginally more expensive than schools that they are (marginally?) better than?

I would still give it a shot however, there's no downside. Write about how much you love UT but money concerns, etc.

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:28 pm

Crickets.

bravo1085
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bravo1085 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Good grief! I'm STILL waiting to go complete. Applied near deadline. However, I just emailed verification of tribal enrollment, they acknowledged receipt within 30 minutes. WTF!?!?!?

User avatar
AnonymousAlterEgoC
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:13 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:56 pm

In via phone call today. Amazing. Unexpected.

My crappy cycle ends!

bmr456
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bmr456 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:26 pm

Any chance you could share your numbers with us?

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:43 pm

camelthing wrote:In via phone call today. Amazing. Unexpected.

My crappy cycle ends!

Congrats!!!

User avatar
the_dude83
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby the_dude83 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:40 pm

rion91 wrote:
the_dude83 wrote:
bravo1085 wrote:
the_dude83 wrote:Finally received my credentials for online access today. Now the waiting game!


When did you apply? I'm still waiting for creds, also.

the deadline. She said she had about 400 left last week, so I would expect by the end of this week you should have something.

400 what? Apps in review or 400 waiting for the status checker?

She process applications and assigns usernames essentially. It's based on a first come first served basis. Your last name is of no context.

User avatar
AnonymousAlterEgoC
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:13 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:53 am

bmr456 wrote:Any chance you could share your numbers with us?


Gladly.

167, 3.4, submitted mid-Feb.

PM for more details. I would be happy to provide specifics.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby lemons » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:48 pm

Waitlisted via email this morning. Oh well, I really couldn't see myself there for 3 years.

Afterparty
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:16 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Afterparty » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:24 pm

When is the 1st deposit due? I was waitlisted so wondering when I may hear something.

User avatar
cannibal ox
Posts: 2940
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby cannibal ox » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:28 pm

April 15th.

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby LexLeon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:26 pm

Asking for a friend (to satisfy my own curiosity):

Why would UT reject an ED 168/3.9--an out of state student from a reasonably good state institution, who doesn't have any CF issues?

My friend's personal statement wasn't bad either...

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:53 am

LexLeon wrote:Asking for a friend (to satisfy my own curiosity):

Why would UT reject an ED 168/3.9--an out of state student from a reasonably good state institution, who doesn't have any CF issues?

My friend's personal statement wasn't bad either...


I'd imagine either
a) YP
b) did they get asked to write a "Why Texas?" and just shrug it off/not take it seriously
c) Texas has to admit 65% of the class from in state. It could be to maintain this.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:56 am

In response to the Board of Regents stuff. I've been here 4 years now, and it has been going on this entire time. Basically what you need to know is:

Powers loves the students and does a lot for us. He is 180
The board are greedy moochers who like raising our tuition and using it for their own benefit. They're 120

User avatar
the_dude83
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby the_dude83 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:12 am

So what happens if you are not accepted by the first seat deposit? Are you put onto a different deadline schedule?

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:13 am

the_dude83 wrote:So what happens if you are not accepted by the first seat deposit? Are you put onto a different deadline schedule?


While I don't know the ins and outs, I'd assume so. I can't imagine they'd pull this:
"Congrats! on your admittance. But oh, you missed the seat deposit, oh well byebye"

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby kobe1020 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:51 am

is now a good time to send in matching request? since UT does have a fund available for negotiation and they will probably take two weeks to respond a matching request (or sooner?) obv we can't miss the first deposit due date nor its good to have our deposit put before they can reach a decision (potentially losing our leverage by putting down deposit first)...

thoughts?

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:16 am

Wailisted :cry: Especially sad since Texas is my top choice.

Edit: Does this mean I need to put down a seat deposit?

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby kobe1020 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:34 am

rion91 wrote:Wailisted :cry: Especially sad since Texas is my top choice.

Edit: Does this mean I need to put down a seat deposit?


Have you submitted a why texas yet?

But yes I guess u ll have to put down deposit coz it's highly unlikely that they will get ppl off wait list before 4-15

bravo1085
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bravo1085 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:43 am

kobe1020 wrote:
rion91 wrote:Wailisted :cry: Especially sad since Texas is my top choice.

Edit: Does this mean I need to put down a seat deposit?


Have you submitted a why texas yet?

But yes I guess u ll have to put down deposit coz it's highly unlikely that they will get ppl off wait list before 4-15



I'm confused. Do you mean a deposit at a school other than UT that you've been accepted to?

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:48 am

bravo1085 wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:
rion91 wrote:Wailisted :cry: Especially sad since Texas is my top choice.

Edit: Does this mean I need to put down a seat deposit?


Have you submitted a why texas yet?

But yes I guess u ll have to put down deposit coz it's highly unlikely that they will get ppl off wait list before 4-15



I'm confused. Do you mean a deposit at a school other than UT that you've been accepted to?

Nah, I mean if I'm WL'd so I still need to put down a deposit since it's before 4/15?
kobe1020 wrote:
rion91 wrote:Wailisted :cry: Especially sad since Texas is my top choice.

Edit: Does this mean I need to put down a seat deposit?


Have you submitted a why texas yet?

But yes I guess u ll have to put down deposit coz it's highly unlikely that they will get ppl off wait list before 4-15

I thought Why Texas was more for YP? I have had no offer to write a Why Texas just yet.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”