Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which city is your 180 destination for employment?

Austin
15
26%
Houston
8
14%
DFW
15
26%
San Antonio
3
5%
Other TX
0
No votes
Out of state Tri-state area
4
7%
Out of state CA area
10
18%
Out of state Chicago area
1
2%
Out of state Midwest area
1
2%
Out of state flyover state
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 57

User avatar
the_dude83
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby the_dude83 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:59 am

Finally received my credentials for online access today. Now the waiting game!

bravo1085
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bravo1085 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:01 pm

the_dude83 wrote:Finally received my credentials for online access today. Now the waiting game!


When did you apply? I'm still waiting for creds, also.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:12 pm

meb1212 wrote:
rion91 wrote:
meb1212 wrote:I'm not a TX resident anymore. But I went to UT for undergrad.

Did you ever go to the law school as an UG? Law school campus is so secluded from the rest of everywhere. I actually prefer it that way, especially since it's so close to my current apt in North Campus


I was actually around that area quite a bit because of where my UG classes were. I didn't go wandering around the building or anything, but I ate lunch on the pavilion a lot. It is nice that it's not right in the middle of campus.


I like it too, it doesn't feel as crowded as the rest of campus (at least from my few visits)

whjohnso444
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby whjohnso444 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:13 pm

How long after acceptance did you guy get scholarship emails?

User avatar
the_dude83
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby the_dude83 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:16 pm

bravo1085 wrote:
the_dude83 wrote:Finally received my credentials for online access today. Now the waiting game!


When did you apply? I'm still waiting for creds, also.

the deadline. She said she had about 400 left last week, so I would expect by the end of this week you should have something.

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:17 pm

the_dude83 wrote:
bravo1085 wrote:
the_dude83 wrote:Finally received my credentials for online access today. Now the waiting game!


When did you apply? I'm still waiting for creds, also.

the deadline. She said she had about 400 left last week, so I would expect by the end of this week you should have something.

400 what? Apps in review or 400 waiting for the status checker?

flypelicanfly
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:53 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby flypelicanfly » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Applied at deadline, got status checker yesterday.

bravo1085
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bravo1085 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:37 pm

rion91 wrote:
the_dude83 wrote:
bravo1085 wrote:
the_dude83 wrote:Finally received my credentials for online access today. Now the waiting game!


When did you apply? I'm still waiting for creds, also.

the deadline. She said she had about 400 left last week, so I would expect by the end of this week you should have something.

400 what? Apps in review or 400 waiting for the status checker?



And my last name starts with a W, so most likely I will be at the tale end of it.

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby kobe1020 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:14 pm

anyone submitted $$$ matching request yet?

i know someone got 81k from Vandy submitted, then got a solid NO, total $ from UT is still $0

He withdrew immediately.

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby El Principe » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:33 pm

kobe1020 wrote:anyone submitted $$$ matching request yet?

i know someone got 81k from Vandy submitted, then got a solid NO, total $ from UT is still $0

He withdrew immediately.


Wow, really?!

They don't negotiate with Vandy offers? Nuts.

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:37 pm

El Principe wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:anyone submitted $$$ matching request yet?

i know someone got 81k from Vandy submitted, then got a solid NO, total $ from UT is still $0

He withdrew immediately.


Wow, really?!

They don't negotiate with Vandy offers? Nuts.

I could see it happening if they were from TN and didn't put much effort into the negotiation email.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5680
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BVest » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:43 pm

kobe1020 wrote:anyone submitted $$$ matching request yet?

i know someone got 81k from Vandy submitted, then got a solid NO, total $ from UT is still $0

He withdrew immediately.


Was he in-state? Admittedly, that's about a $7-8k/yr difference, but still fairly close.

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby kobe1020 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:21 am

El Principe wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:anyone submitted $$$ matching request yet?

i know someone got 81k from Vandy submitted, then got a solid NO, total $ from UT is still $0

He withdrew immediately.


Wow, really?!

They don't negotiate with Vandy offers? Nuts.


i was shocked as well.

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby kobe1020 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:23 am

BVest wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:anyone submitted $$$ matching request yet?

i know someone got 81k from Vandy submitted, then got a solid NO, total $ from UT is still $0

He withdrew immediately.


Was he in-state? Admittedly, that's about a $7-8k/yr difference, but still fairly close.


he is a OOS, an international more precisely.

so this is mind blowing..COA difference is like 70k or something

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby kobe1020 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:25 am

rion91 wrote:
El Principe wrote:
kobe1020 wrote:anyone submitted $$$ matching request yet?

i know someone got 81k from Vandy submitted, then got a solid NO, total $ from UT is still $0

He withdrew immediately.


Wow, really?!

They don't negotiate with Vandy offers? Nuts.

I could see it happening if they were from TN and didn't put much effort into the negotiation email.


he is an international student. wrote why Texas to get in. no idea how much effort he put into that email but literally NOTHING is shockingly unexpected..

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:48 am

UT gonna UT

Guessing they auto-dinged him because they assumed he was just playing the negotiations game.

Now, I would never fault anyone for playing the game. You gotta do you, don't hate the player hate the game, etc. But again, egos are involved. Gotta make UT think they are special (whether they are or not to you)

kobe1020
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby kobe1020 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:12 am

BigZuck wrote:UT gonna UT

Guessing they auto-dinged him because they assumed he was just playing the negotiations game.

Now, I would never fault anyone for playing the game. You gotta do you, don't hate the player hate the game, etc. But again, egos are involved. Gotta make UT think they are special (whether they are or not to you)


agree.

we should all write someone that makes UT feel special from our perspective. but i also wanna know after a why Texas essay how can we do it again without repeating ourselves, to some extent?. i'm also concerned that if you make UT feel too good about themselves, they will also straight ding you/reject your matching proposal.

bravo1085
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bravo1085 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:08 am

I would be careful, though, about being too emotional in a Why XXX? essay. Unless it really is the school that you have always wanted to go to, it will probably sound forced. Just stick to facts, like: Your strength in X law, which is something I'm very interested in, your clerkship numbers, etc combined with the wonderful ( if it really is, like Austin) city of Blahsville etc. For instance, when I applied to Tulane there was a required Why Tulane essay off the bat. I mentioned the portability of the degree to Texas, Louisiana and New York, and the close proximity of the US District Court and 5th circuit court of appeals, because I'm interested in clerkships.

User avatar
nickpapagiorgio
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby nickpapagiorgio » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:58 am

FYI - was dinged at Texas early this AM.

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby El Principe » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:25 am

bravo1085 wrote:I would be careful, though, about being too emotional in a Why XXX? essay. Unless it really is the school that you have always wanted to go to, it will probably sound forced. Just stick to facts, like: Your strength in X law, which is something I'm very interested in, your clerkship numbers, etc combined with the wonderful ( if it really is, like Austin) city of Blahsville etc. For instance, when I applied to Tulane there was a required Why Tulane essay off the bat. I mentioned the portability of the degree to Texas, Louisiana and New York, and the close proximity of the US District Court and 5th circuit court of appeals, because I'm interested in clerkships.


I was going to apply, but I honestly couldn't bring myself to think of a good reason to attend Tulane, so I took that as a sign that it'd be a waste to apply there.

bravo1085
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby bravo1085 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:55 am

I only applied because they kept emailing me about schollys and there was no fee.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:56 am

And if you were at ASW don't forget to include that, plus some things you learned there, in your essay.

whjohnso444
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby whjohnso444 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:04 am

3 weeks and no scholly email. Should I assume I got nothing? Should I try them with a wustl match? They would probably just laugh at me but I guess it's worth a try. Surprised I got in with. 3.2 168. Would you guys pay sticker for texas? I'm not a resident, but have some relatives in Austin so maybe I could fanagle in state for the last few years somehow.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:09 am

whjohnso444 wrote:3 weeks and no scholly email. Should I assume I got nothing? Should I try them with a wustl match? They would probably just laugh at me but I guess it's worth a try. Surprised I got in with. 3.2 168. Would you guys pay sticker for texas? I'm not a resident, but have some relatives in Austin so maybe I could fanagle in state for the last few years somehow.


I am in state and wouldn't pay sticker. I have the same LSAT and a less GPA and I got $. I'd prob pay, at most 1/2 the in state tuition myself.

Texas is the only school that seems to want you to jump through their hoops as much as Northwestern does.

whjohnso444
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby whjohnso444 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:34 am

Attax wrote:
whjohnso444 wrote:3 weeks and no scholly email. Should I assume I got nothing? Should I try them with a wustl match? They would probably just laugh at me but I guess it's worth a try. Surprised I got in with. 3.2 168. Would you guys pay sticker for texas? I'm not a resident, but have some relatives in Austin so maybe I could fanagle in state for the last few years somehow.


I am in state and wouldn't pay sticker. I have the same LSAT and a less GPA and I got $. I'd prob pay, at most 1/2 the in state tuition myself.

Texas is the only school that seems to want you to jump through their hoops as much as Northwestern does.


How long did it take for you to get a scholly email?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AntsInMyEyesJohnson, ayylmao, Bing [Bot], cd1945, Finickywalrus, galeatus, genjustice, izha, oliviaj_j, potterotter, proteinshake and 25 guests