Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which city is your 180 destination for employment?

Austin
15
26%
Houston
8
14%
DFW
15
26%
San Antonio
3
5%
Other TX
0
No votes
Out of state Tri-state area
4
7%
Out of state CA area
10
18%
Out of state Chicago area
1
2%
Out of state Midwest area
1
2%
Out of state flyover state
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 57

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby shifty_eyed » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:04 am

kobe1020 wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
El Principe wrote:If you're negotiating, you don't want to give a specific amount because it's either too high or low. If it's too low, you're limiting the potential amount you could receive. However, giving them a high number is pointless because you have zero leverage. Someone earlier said make it seem like the ball is in their court, but the honest truth is, the ball is not only in their court; your balls are in their fist.

Just keep it open ended.


Nah, the ball is in your court. You can always go elsewhere or sit out a cycle. The worst thing they can do is say no. If you have a median or above LSAT, they need you more than you need them (doubly so if you are instate).

But I do agree that giving numbers is a bad idea. Just be honest and explain your situation.


isn't it recommended that you send them all offers you have in hand so they WILL know the exact numbers?..


Send in all your offers, but you shouldn't say "If you give me $X more, I will attend."

I do agree that without a better offer, you don't have much leverage, but not attending law school this cycle is always an option.

User avatar
PB&J.D.
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby PB&J.D. » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:47 pm

Do you all know how would should format the letter with offers from other schools? As a late applicant, I'm still waiting to hear back from higher schools both for admissions & $$, but when it comes time to send in the negotiation email, how do they want the other offers? Attached letters? Just info & numbers?

User avatar
Savage13
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Savage13 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:22 pm

PB&J.D. wrote:Do you all know how would should format the letter with offers from other schools? As a late applicant, I'm still waiting to hear back from higher schools both for admissions & $$, but when it comes time to send in the negotiation email, how do they want the other offers? Attached letters? Just info & numbers?


Its a good idea to attach a pdf of the offers you're referencing.

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:13 pm

Two guys on LSN w/ similar app dates as me got WL'ed last weekend. I really hope there are some spots still left ><

User avatar
BentleyLittle
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BentleyLittle » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Has anyone received any correspondence requesting tax returns for need based aid/fafsa confirmation? Other schools have and I haven't received a request from UT. Wondering cause Dean Ingram stated on the FB group that aid will be released next week.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:32 pm

rion91 wrote:Two guys on LSN w/ similar app dates as me got WL'ed last weekend. I really hope there are some spots still left ><


Aren't you URM though? Seems to be a good boost for <median numbers for URMs.

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:11 pm

Attax wrote:
rion91 wrote:Two guys on LSN w/ similar app dates as me got WL'ed last weekend. I really hope there are some spots still left ><


Aren't you URM though? Seems to be a good boost for <median numbers for URMs.

Yep. I don't want to rely on the URM status though. I have a lot of contacts in the Austin area, legal and not that I'm sure would help me find a job in my 1L summer so I really want to stay here.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:43 pm

rion91 wrote:
Attax wrote:
rion91 wrote:Two guys on LSN w/ similar app dates as me got WL'ed last weekend. I really hope there are some spots still left ><


Aren't you URM though? Seems to be a good boost for <median numbers for URMs.

Yep. I don't want to rely on the URM status though. I have a lot of contacts in the Austin area, legal and not that I'm sure would help me find a job in my 1L summer so I really want to stay here.


I can imagine that, but separate form the URM status the charts look like you should be WL/ding, at least as it currently looks (but I haven't looked at who all are in state and who are OOS since that matters to Texas too). Same here, I don't want to leave Austin for 1L summer, but shooting for dallas for 2L


I swear I'm not a gunner

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:59 pm

Attax wrote:
rion91 wrote:
Attax wrote:
rion91 wrote:Two guys on LSN w/ similar app dates as me got WL'ed last weekend. I really hope there are some spots still left ><


Aren't you URM though? Seems to be a good boost for <median numbers for URMs.

Yep. I don't want to rely on the URM status though. I have a lot of contacts in the Austin area, legal and not that I'm sure would help me find a job in my 1L summer so I really want to stay here.


I can imagine that, but separate form the URM status the charts look like you should be WL/ding, at least as it currently looks (but I haven't looked at who all are in state and who are OOS since that matters to Texas too). Same here, I don't want to leave Austin for 1L summer, but shooting for dallas for 2L


I swear I'm not a gunner

I'd probably go to Houston for 2L summer :P
Why do you say Dallas?

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:05 pm

rion91 wrote:I'd probably go to Houston for 2L summer :P
Why do you say Dallas?


I know a lot of attorneys in Dallas biglaw.

I know one in Houston biglaw.

And I want DFW/Austin biglaw, Houston is prob going to get bids from me in case those two fall through.

User avatar
meb1212
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby meb1212 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:07 pm

Attax wrote:
rion91 wrote:I'd probably go to Houston for 2L summer :P
Why do you say Dallas?


I know a lot of attorneys in Dallas biglaw.

I know one in Houston biglaw.

And I want DFW/Austin biglaw, Houston is prob going to get bids from me in case those two fall through.


Attax - If I can't go to UT, it would be awesome if we could both work in Dallas. So get on that. kThx!

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby El Principe » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:17 pm

rion91 wrote:I'd probably go to Houston for 2L summer :P
Why do you say Dallas?


Because Dallas >>>

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:20 pm

El Principe wrote:
rion91 wrote:I'd probably go to Houston for 2L summer :P
Why do you say Dallas?


Because Dallas >>>


This. In terms of TX cities Dallas=Austin=180

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:21 pm

meb1212 wrote:
Attax wrote:
rion91 wrote:I'd probably go to Houston for 2L summer :P
Why do you say Dallas?


I know a lot of attorneys in Dallas biglaw.

I know one in Houston biglaw.

And I want DFW/Austin biglaw, Houston is prob going to get bids from me in case those two fall through.


Attax - If I can't go to UT, it would be awesome if we could both work in Dallas. So get on that. kThx!


Okay. I'll call and get you job now, k?

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Houston > Dallas

sorry guys

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:26 pm

rion91 wrote:Houston > Dallas

sorry guys


I think we need a poll to settle this!

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:38 pm

Attax wrote:
rion91 wrote:Houston > Dallas

sorry guys


I think we need a poll to settle this!

I can remedy this.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:45 pm

Oh yeah. it is poll time!

User avatar
Cactus
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Cactus » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:45 pm

rion91 wrote:Houston > Dallas

sorry guys


I've spent significant time in both cities and Dallas is far and away the better of the two. There are several reasons, not the least of which is Houston's lack of zoning laws..


Image

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Although, being fair, real 180 option is ATX, but that is unlikely.

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby El Principe » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:51 pm

Austin/Dallas/California/Houston in that order.

Of course my bids won't go out in that order, but I'd be happier in one of the former three rather than the latter.

I voted Dallas bc, well, I had to be realistic with chances, but if I landed something in Austin or Cali with my networks there, I'd be happy as they come.

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:53 pm

Cactus wrote:
rion91 wrote:Houston > Dallas

sorry guys


I've spent significant time in both cities and Dallas is far and away the better of the two. There are several reasons, not the least of which is Houston's lack of zoning laws..


Image

Lol I know this place. It's smack dab in the middle of the Galleria area, RIGHT NEXT TO THE FREEWAY

BigZuck
Posts: 10873
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:54 pm

Relevant?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douche_and_Turd

J/K bros, all of Texas is awesome

It does seem like you have to pick one or the other when it comes to big law (from my extremely limited experience). Or maybe it's just that if you have more obvious ties to one, the other just auto-dings you.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby Attax » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:00 pm

BigZuck wrote:Relevant?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douche_and_Turd

J/K bros, all of Texas is awesome

It does seem like you have to pick one or the other when it comes to big law (from my extremely limited experience). Or maybe it's just that if you have more obvious ties to one, the other just auto-dings you.


Really? That's a bummer. I'm primarily IP but also interested in oil&gas. I have IP connections in DFW, but now O&G is Houston. I could survive Houston if needed for a job and be happy. Oh well, I'll totes get that Austin biglaw lol.

If I had a true preference:

Austin=Dallas>Cali>Seattle>Boston>Chicago>NYC>Houston

User avatar
rion91
Posts: 962
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby rion91 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:05 pm

Attax wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Relevant?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douche_and_Turd

J/K bros, all of Texas is awesome

It does seem like you have to pick one or the other when it comes to big law (from my extremely limited experience). Or maybe it's just that if you have more obvious ties to one, the other just auto-dings you.


Really? That's a bummer. I'm primarily IP but also interested in oil&gas. I have IP connections in DFW, but now O&G is Houston. I could survive Houston if needed for a job and be happy. Oh well, I'll totes get that Austin biglaw lol.

If I had a true preference:

Austin=Dallas>Cali>Seattle>Boston>Chicago>NYC>Houston

That's why I want Houston. I'm from htown but I have a lot of friends and family in the energy biz. It's also got a lot of international exposure which I want, esp with the whole natural gas surplus thing we have going on




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”