Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which city is your 180 destination for employment?

Austin
26%
Houston
14%
DFW
26%
San Antonio
5%
Other TX
No votes
Out of state Tri-state area
7%
Out of state CA area
18%
Out of state Chicago area
2%
Out of state Midwest area
2%
Out of state flyover state
No votes

Total votes: 57

flypelicanfly

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Postby flypelicanfly » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:49 pm

still waiting.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:00 pm

ASW was cool. A lot of quiet people, but legitimately enjoyed everyone I met.

I think the boost in biglaw #s has done the most to sell me, so it's going to be a lot harder to sway me away, unless these T14s show me the $$$.

mes10d

Postby mes10d » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:41 am

Waitlist via email this morning. Out of state, applied very late in the cycle, so I was assuming a rejection was ahead.

lwschool2014

Postby lwschool2014 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:19 pm

Applied early January
OOS Wrote Why Texas, 168 splitter.
Hoe much longer till a decision?

Cactus

Postby Cactus » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:11 am

El Principe wrote:ASW was cool. A lot of quiet people, but legitimately enjoyed everyone I met.

I think the boost in biglaw #s has done the most to sell me, so it's going to be a lot harder to sway me away, unless these T14s show me the $$$.

Completely agree. I am trying to reserve judgement before my Vandy ASW visit, but it's looking more and more like I will be a Longhorn this fall..

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:15 am

Deposited :mrgreen:

Hitchensian

Postby Hitchensian » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:52 pm

Withdrew today after receiving the email soliciting a Why UT? essay last week. Good luck to those still pending or riding the wait list! :D

Savage13

Postby Savage13 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Does this "one shot" policy for the scholarship matching program mean that Texas will not consider awarding additional scholarship money after the deposit date? I used my matching request and the result was not enough to for me to justify turning down larger offers. I'm wondering if there is any point in me paying the deposit in the hopes of having my award revisited.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:41 pm

Savage13 wrote:Does this "one shot" policy for the scholarship matching program mean that Texas will not consider awarding additional scholarship money after the deposit date? I used my matching request and the result was not enough to for me to justify turning down larger offers. I'm wondering if there is any point in me paying the deposit in the hopes of having my award revisited.

PMed

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:43 pm

Savage13 wrote:Does this "one shot" policy for the scholarship matching program mean that Texas will not consider awarding additional scholarship money after the deposit date? I used my matching request and the result was not enough to for me to justify turning down larger offers. I'm wondering if there is any point in me paying the deposit in the hopes of having my award revisited.

No it doesn't.

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Debating between matching before I receive info regarding grants, or after. I figure itd change the schollie $ I'd get if I wait.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:57 pm

Attax wrote:Debating between matching before I receive info regarding grants, or after. I figure itd change the schollie $ I'd get if I wait.

I don't think grants came until relatively late in the game last year but I could be mistaken. I think I negotiated twice before then.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:19 pm

Zuck/shifty: did you guys include any sort of explanation or did you just state CoA for other schools you had offers to?

Anyone think it would be smart/dumb if you asked for a cetain amount? (example: 'if I were awarded $X more per year, I would send my deposit and attend')

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:25 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Zuck/shifty: did you guys include any sort of explanation or did you just state CoA for other schools you had offers to?

Anyone think it would be smart/dumb if you asked for a cetain amount? (example: 'if I were awarded $X more per year, I would send my deposit and attend')

I haven't negotiated yet, but I think it could be good/bad. Maybe word it like:

"Although the University of Texas is my top choice, the amount of debt that I would have to incur to attend is staggeringly large in comparison the the amount of debt from comparable schools. This sole factor is preventing me from committing to attend UT Law, and seeing it decreasing would ease my concerns and allow me to matriculate."

Something like that would probably read better, but still doesn't give a specific amount. The problem with a specific amount is them saying:

"Eh, his numbers aren't worth that. He will either pay more to come or he won't come and we can get someone off the waitlist" when they could've been within a certain amount. Would you be willing to pay, say $15,000/year in tuition even if you decided it would need to be $10,000 and told them that?

Or, I see it going "well, we were going to give him more, but if we can get away with that low, then I say we give him just that."

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:35 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Zuck/shifty: did you guys include any sort of explanation or did you just state CoA for other schools you had offers to?

I wrote a letter about UTs awesomeness but cost is a concern, etc.

I wouldn't ask for a certain amount, gotta let them think like ball is totally in their court and they're doing you a favor. There's egos involved here and an applicant saying something like that might rub someone the wrong way.

Just IMO.

ojala

Postby ojala » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:43 pm

Apologies if this has already been asked in earlier pages- about how long after being admitted did you guys receive scholarship offers? Trying to figure out whether the amount of time I've waited means I didn't get a scholarship or if I need to be more patient

Cactus

Postby Cactus » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:03 pm

ojala wrote:Apologies if this has already been asked in earlier pages- about how long after being admitted did you guys receive scholarship offers? Trying to figure out whether the amount of time I've waited means I didn't get a scholarship or if I need to be more patient

Accepted via telephone call on a Friday afternoon and received scholarship via email the following Wednesday morning.

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:23 pm

ojala wrote:Apologies if this has already been asked in earlier pages- about how long after being admitted did you guys receive scholarship offers? Trying to figure out whether the amount of time I've waited means I didn't get a scholarship or if I need to be more patient

As per the facebook page, you should receive notification within 4 weeks if you are receiving $.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:34 pm

BigZuck wrote:

I wouldn't ask for a certain amount, gotta let them think like ball is totally in their court and they're doing you a favor. There's egos involved here and an applicant saying something like that might rub someone the wrong way.

Just IMO.

Awesomeness vs cost was basically what I was thinking of doing, just wasn't sure if it should be all black and white with strictly numbers, or if I could add some of my own reasons and logic.

Anyone else have a take on asking for a certain increase? I was leaning towards not doing it but interested in what people's opinions were, or if any UT bros had done it during their application cycle.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:04 pm

If you're negotiating, you don't want to give a specific amount because it's either too high or low. If it's too low, you're limiting the potential amount you could receive. However, giving them a high number is pointless because you have zero leverage. Someone earlier said make it seem like the ball is in their court, but the honest truth is, the ball is not only in their court; your balls are in their fist.

Just keep it open ended.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:29 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Just IMO.

Awesomeness vs cost was basically what I was thinking of doing, just wasn't sure if it should be all black and white with strictly numbers, or if I could add some of my own reasons and logic.

Anyone else have a take on asking for a certain increase? I was leaning towards not doing it but interested in what people's opinions were, or if any UT bros had done it during their application cycle.

I say 100% add your own reasons and logic. You have to do that. She doesn't want to think they're just a pawn in your negotiations game, she wants to think you bleed burnt orange.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:53 pm

El Principe wrote:If you're negotiating, you don't want to give a specific amount because it's either too high or low. If it's too low, you're limiting the potential amount you could receive. However, giving them a high number is pointless because you have zero leverage. Someone earlier said make it seem like the ball is in their court, but the honest truth is, the ball is not only in their court; your balls are in their fist.

Just keep it open ended.

Nah, the ball is in your court. You can always go elsewhere or sit out a cycle. The worst thing they can do is say no. If you have a median or above LSAT, they need you more than you need them (doubly so if you are instate).

But I do agree that giving numbers is a bad idea. Just be honest and explain your situation.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:17 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
El Principe wrote:If you're negotiating, you don't want to give a specific amount because it's either too high or low. If it's too low, you're limiting the potential amount you could receive. However, giving them a high number is pointless because you have zero leverage. Someone earlier said make it seem like the ball is in their court, but the honest truth is, the ball is not only in their court; your balls are in their fist.

Just keep it open ended.

Nah, the ball is in your court. You can always go elsewhere or sit out a cycle. The worst thing they can do is say no. If you have a median or above LSAT, they need you more than you need them (doubly so if you are instate).

But I do agree that giving numbers is a bad idea. Just be honest and explain your situation.

I might have misunderstood the original Q because I was on mobile, but if he doesn't have a better/similar offer from another school, and is just merely asking for an increase, then the ball's in their court. If he has a better offer from another school, then of course he has the ball.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:32 pm

El Principe wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:

Just keep it open ended.

I might have misunderstood the original Q because I was on mobile, but if he doesn't have a better/similar offer from another school, and is just merely asking for an increase, then the ball's in their court. If he has a better offer from another school, then of course he has the ball.

I think you're probably right. I just wasn't sure if asking for a specific amount made it more likely that they'd give it to me. I'm pretty sure I've been over thinking the 'show them you want to attend' aspect, where 'if you give me X, I'll attend' sounded better than 'hey.. gimme some more money' with my enrollment still being in question.

I've got an above median LSAT and a few offers from schools in the T20 (yeah, meaningless, but Dean Ingram's post on Facebook said they look at rankings to determine peer schools) that would have my CoA lower than UT. I've got personal reasons to attend UT as well, so hopefully everything comes together nicely in my request and I get a bump.

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:59 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:

Just keep it open ended.

isn't it recommended that you send them all offers you have in hand so they WILL know the exact numbers?..

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”