Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which city is your 180 destination for employment?

Austin
27%
Houston
15%
DFW
25%
San Antonio
5%
Other TX
No votes
Out of state Tri-state area
7%
Out of state CA area
17%
Out of state Chicago area
2%
Out of state Midwest area
2%
Out of state flyover state
No votes

Total votes: 59

Otunga

Silver

Re: Texas c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Post by Otunga » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Does a Dallas Cowboys tattoo count as a 'tie' to Texas? 8) (I have one, which is probably nuts.)

I might send an app here. I noticed their overall numbers are better than BU/BC, which are the best regional non-t14s in my area. Obviously if I were to go, it'd have to be on a substantial scholarship and I'd have to be willing to work in Texas provided that I wasn't able to get work back in MA/RI. Is there any sort of New England presence at the school (in terms of students, employers that visit OCI, anything)?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:40 pm

Otunga wrote:Does a Dallas Cowboys tattoo count as a 'tie' to Texas? 8) (I have one, which is probably nuts.)

I might send an app here. I noticed their overall numbers are better than BU/BC, which are the best regional non-t14s in my area. Obviously if I were to go, it'd have to be on a substantial scholarship and I'd have to be willing to work in Texas provided that I wasn't able to get work back in MA/RI. Is there any sort of New England presence at the school (in terms of students, employers that visit OCI, anything)?
I know a guy in my section who is from New York, does that count?

If you want New England and aren't going to go to a T14, definitely go to BU/BC

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:46 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Otunga wrote:Does a Dallas Cowboys tattoo count as a 'tie' to Texas? 8) (I have one, which is probably nuts.)

I know a guy in my section who is from New York, does that count?

If you want New England and aren't going to go to a T14, definitely go to BU/BC
T14 should be on the table (not sure yet), but I'm simply trying to go for as cheap as possible with at least a respectable biglaw chance (as are a ton of people on TLS).

I wouldn't think there were many of us at Texas. Rightfully so I imagine.

gimmedanger

New

Post by gimmedanger » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:23 pm

got my scholarship offer super fast as well.

wwbeyoncedo

New

Post by wwbeyoncedo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:13 pm

Just got the call, in! Very likely I end up here, depending on $$. So, so excited!

Complete 1/29
LSAT >75%, GPA <25%
in-state

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:16 pm

wwbeyoncedo wrote:Just got the call, in! Very likely I end up here, depending on $$. So, so excited!

Complete 1/29
LSAT >75%, GPA <25%
in-state
Congrats! Feels good as a splitter, doesn't it? Seems they may have changed this cycle (according to LSN and TLS at least) for splitters.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Attax wrote:
wwbeyoncedo wrote:Just got the call, in! Very likely I end up here, depending on $$. So, so excited!

Complete 1/29
LSAT >75%, GPA <25%
in-state
Congrats! Feels good as a splitter, doesn't it? Seems they may have changed this cycle (according to LSN and TLS at least) for splitters.
They have been shifting towards splitter friendliness since 2 years ago when they had to take a bunch off the WL in March. It's pretty crazy though, 4-5 years ago they had a HARD 3.5 GPA floor. It's a smart change for them to make, their median would definitely be worse without the splitters.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:36 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
Attax wrote:

Complete 1/29
LSAT >75%, GPA <25%
in-state
They have been shifting towards splitter friendliness since 2 years ago when they had to take a bunch off the WL in March. It's pretty crazy though, 4-5 years ago they had a HARD 3.5 GPA floor. It's a smart change for them to make, their median would definitely be worse without the splitters.
I haven't looked too much at the past other than last year when sub 3.2's still had it pretty hard versus this year where some of us have gotten offers :D I agree, smart of them, at least until they knock out Georgetown from T14 status.

jmaul21

New

Post by jmaul21 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:14 pm

This may have been asked already, but has anyone here done the financial aid matching? I'm not really sure what the best strategy is. I've gotten several offers from other schools and I just can't consider UT with the amount they've given me so far. Anyone have advice?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:24 pm

jmaul21 wrote:This may have been asked already, but has anyone here done the financial aid matching? I'm not really sure what the best strategy is. I've gotten several offers from other schools and I just can't consider UT with the amount they've given me so far. Anyone have advice?
Scroll back a few pages

jmaul21

New

Post by jmaul21 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:25 pm

BigZuck wrote:
jmaul21 wrote:This may have been asked already, but has anyone here done the financial aid matching? I'm not really sure what the best strategy is. I've gotten several offers from other schools and I just can't consider UT with the amount they've given me so far. Anyone have advice?
Scroll back a few pages
Thanks so much! It's hard to slog through all those pages :)

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:51 pm

jmaul21 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Scroll back a few pages
Long story short: UT will match one time.

http://www.utexas.edu/law/finaid/schola ... match.html

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:17 pm

Would someone here be up to read my personal statement? It is really crafted for UT so I was hoping I'd get some valuable feedback. :oops:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:18 pm

Attax wrote:
jmaul21 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Scroll back a few pages
Long story short: UT will match one time.

http://www.utexas.edu/law/finaid/schola ... match.html
They matched me (and others) twice. But I would gear up for/prepare for only one attempt.

rion91

Silver

Post by rion91 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Submitted app today. #1 choice!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:14 pm

BTW, campus was closed again today and the law school was very quiet, so I'd guess no more decisions went out.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

kobe1020

Bronze

Post by kobe1020 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:05 am

does UT have a UR status or it just goes from complete to decision?

mine status page says "complete" and "ur application is currently being considered for regular decision"

i wonder whether they are looking at it now or not?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:32 am

kobe1020 wrote:does UT have a UR status or it just goes from complete to decision?

mine status page says "complete" and "ur application is currently being considered for regular decision"

i wonder whether they are looking at it now or not?
Nope, the status checker is pointless. It'll take a few days to update after acceptance too. It'll stay complete until you get a call.

bombombom

New

Post by bombombom » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:13 pm

bombombom wrote:
Attax wrote:
bombombom wrote:I received an email attaching CFR(CERTIFICATION OF FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY)from UT today ,What does this mean for me? I am an international applicant waitlisted last month. Here is
the instruction of CFR;
If you do not plan to request documents from The University of Texas at Austin to obtain F-1 or J-1 status, you are not required to submit the CFR. The appropriate
immigration document will be issued after you have 1) been officially admitted AND 2) submitted this form along with proof of financial support for your studies.
Questions about completing this form may be directed to hotline@austin.utexas.edu.
INSTRUCTIONS
• Upload this completed form and supporting documents (as a single, PDF file) to: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/ogs/forms/supp_docs.WBX
o Paper, e-mailed, or faxed copies will not be accepted.
• Be prepared to show this documentation to the United States consulate upon interviewing for your visa.
• Please note: ALL documents must be in English or accompanied by an official English translation.
• Reciprocal exchange students should not use this form. Please complete the CFR found at: http://world.utexas.edu/isss/students/exchange/apply
Not sure what it means. I'd probably do what it requests though.
I am now filling in the blanks, I hope everything goes right.
I have already completed the Certification of Financial Responsibility and was about to upload it to the specific URL that indicated by the instruction. But, it kept saying “There are no eligible applications found for input EID. (NAPP-APPE)” lol

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:18 pm

bombombom wrote:
bombombom wrote:
Attax wrote:
bombombom wrote:I received an email attaching CFR(CERTIFICATION OF FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY)from UT today ,What does this mean for me? I am an international applicant waitlisted last month. Here is
the instruction of CFR;
If you do not plan to request documents from The University of Texas at Austin to obtain F-1 or J-1 status, you are not required to submit the CFR. The appropriate
immigration document will be issued after you have 1) been officially admitted AND 2) submitted this form along with proof of financial support for your studies.
Questions about completing this form may be directed to hotline@austin.utexas.edu.
INSTRUCTIONS
• Upload this completed form and supporting documents (as a single, PDF file) to: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/ogs/forms/supp_docs.WBX
• Be prepared to show this documentation to the United States consulate upon interviewing for your visa.
• Please note: ALL documents must be in English or accompanied by an official English translation.
• Reciprocal exchange students should not use this form. Please complete the CFR found at: http://world.utexas.edu/isss/students/exchange/apply
I have already completed the Certification of Financial Responsibility and was about to upload it to the specific URL that indicated by the instruction. But, it kept saying “There are no eligible applications found for input EID. (NAPP-APPE)” lol anyone knows what shall I do next?
Not sure. You are an international student, correct? I think most, if not all, the rest of us here are domestic. You will probably have better luck contacting them directly. I'm not sure who to go through, but maybe start with admissions and I'm sure they'd be happy to forward you wherever can best handle your situation. Contact info can be found at the bottom of the page located here:

http://www.utexas.edu/law/admissions/

bombombom

New

Post by bombombom » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:35 pm

Attax wrote:
bombombom wrote:
bombombom wrote:
I have already completed the Certification of Financial Responsibility and was about to upload it to the specific URL that indicated by the instruction. But, it kept saying “There are no eligible applications found for input EID. (NAPP-APPE)” lol anyone knows what shall I do next?
Not sure. You are an international student, correct? I think most, if not all, the rest of us here are domestic. You will probably have better luck contacting them directly. I'm not sure who to go through, but maybe start with admissions and I'm sure they'd be happy to forward you wherever can best handle your situation. Contact info can be found at the bottom of the page located here:
http://www.utexas.edu/law/admissions/[/quote]

Thank you. School is closed due to the weather, so I come here to ask about it first. I'll contact admissions and ISSS later.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kobe1020

Bronze

Post by kobe1020 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:22 am

bombombom wrote:
bombombom wrote:
Attax wrote:
the instruction of CFR;
INSTRUCTIONS
I have already completed the Certification of Financial Responsibility and was about to upload it to the specific URL that indicated by the instruction. But, it kept saying “There are no eligible applications found for input EID. (NAPP-APPE)” lol
Just sit tight and wait for your admissions decision. No need rushing through these paperworks yet..

str8yolked

Bronze

Post by str8yolked » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:23 pm

For the invitation to write the why UT essay, are we supposed to reply to that email with the essay or send it in a new email?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:53 pm

I replied directly to the email requesting the essay, and it was received the next day.

str8yolked

Bronze

Post by str8yolked » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:47 am

cannibal ox wrote:I replied directly to the email requesting the essay, and it was received the next day.
Thanks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”