UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Roberrrrto

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby Roberrrrto » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:47 pm

underwear wrote:
Nucky wrote:Florida ranked #32 in the new ATL rankings!

FSU not even in the top 50. 8)

How odd that a 2014 ranking would use the most recent employment data available... What a concept!

Even though UF has closed the gap from the year prior, aren't FSU's latest employment percentages, which ATL places greater weight on, still better? Odd.

Here's the methodology ATL uses for its rankings:

"Employment score (30%)
We are staying out of all of the hairsplitting about the definitions of “J.D. Advantage” versus “J.D. Preferred,” or whether employment data should be captured at 9 or 10 months after graduation. Much of the debate around law school employment data strikes us as so much fiddling around the edges of a larger problem. Thus for the employment score, we only counted full-time, long-term jobs requiring bar passage (excluding solos and school-funded positions).

Quality jobs score (30%)
This measures the schools’ success at placing students on career paths that best enable them to pay off their student debts. We’ve combined placement with the country’s largest and best-paying law firms (using the National Law Journal’s “NLJ 250”) and the percentage of graduates embarking on federal judicial clerkships. These clerkships typically lead to a broader and enhanced range of employment opportunities.

SCOTUS clerk & Federal judgeship scores (7.5% each)
Though obviously applicable to very different stages of legal careers, these two categories represent the pinnacles of the profession. For the purposes of these rankings, we simply looked at a school's graduates as a percentage of (1) all U.S. Supreme Court clerks (since 2009) and (2) currently sitting Article III judges. Both scores are adjusted for the size of the school.

Education cost (15%)
Solid data on individual law student educational debt is hard to come by. Published averages exist, but the crucial number, the amount of non-dischargeable government funded or guaranteed educational loan debt, is not available. So as a proxy for indebtedness, we’ve scored schools based on total cost. For those schools placing a majority of their graduates into the local job market, we’ve adjusted the score for the cost of living in that market.

Alumni rating (10%)
This is the only non-public component of our rankings. Our ATL Insider Survey asks students and alumni to rate their schools in terms of academics, financial aid advising, career services advising, social life, and clinical training. For the purposes of the ATL Top 50, we only counted the alumni ratings, as that was more in keeping with our “outcomes only” approach.

We've scaled the scores by their respective weights (a perfect total score would be 100), to generate the "ATL Score.""

I believe UF has the edge over FSU because of the "Quality Jobs Score," the "SCOTUS & Federal Clerkship Scores," and the "Alumni Rating." If I learned anything throughout this process it is that Gator Nation is fiercely loyal to UF Law. In addition, FSU Law has lagged behind UF in median salary meaning a lower ability to pay off student loans, a major factor in ATL's "Quality Jobs Score". Go Gators!

upstateboy

Postby upstateboy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:34 pm

So I am deciding between U of Arizona and U of Florida, I am troubled because US News has Florida ranked 49 and Arizona ranked 40 but Above the Law has Florida ranked 32 and Arizona not in the rankings. I was wondering what were you alls thoughts on this? I have been driving myself crazy with indecision.

lynzl84

Postby lynzl84 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:23 pm

upstateboy wrote:So I am deciding between U of Arizona and U of Florida, I am troubled because US News has Florida ranked 49 and Arizona ranked 40 but Above the Law has Florida ranked 32 and Arizona not in the rankings. I was wondering what were you alls thoughts on this? I have been driving myself crazy with indecision.

The advice I got was "Go to a T15 if you can get in. Don't worry about cost or location, just go. Outside of that, go to the best school in the region where you want to practice."

So, my question would be, do you want to practice in AZ or FL?

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu May 01, 2014 2:05 am

lynzl84 wrote:
upstateboy wrote:So I am deciding between U of Arizona and U of Florida, I am troubled because US News has Florida ranked 49 and Arizona ranked 40 but Above the Law has Florida ranked 32 and Arizona not in the rankings. I was wondering what were you alls thoughts on this? I have been driving myself crazy with indecision.

The advice I got was "Go to a T15 if you can get in. Don't worry about cost or location, just go. Outside of that, go to the best school in the region where you want to practice."

So, my question would be, do you want to practice in AZ or FL?

There is no T-15. More of an argument for a T13 than a T15.

That aside, I agree with you. Pick the school in the region you want practice, OP. Also, COA should play a big factor in your decision.

But keep in mind that you're in the UF thread, and everyone here would likely pick UF all else being equal. Not that they'd be wrong 8)

redbull12

Postby redbull12 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:29 am

ATL rankings are meaningless though compared to USNWR.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu May 01, 2014 9:52 am

redbull12 wrote:ATL rankings are meaningless though compared to USNWR.

Not if you like things like jobs.

Maybe your boy Jameis should get one so he doesn't have to steal crab legs anymore. Not that this is the worst thing he's done.

redbull12

Postby redbull12 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:18 am

Nucky wrote:
redbull12 wrote:ATL rankings are meaningless though compared to USNWR.

Not if you like things like jobs.

Maybe your boy Jameis should get one so he doesn't have to steal crab legs anymore. Not that this is the worst thing he's done.

Lol.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 01, 2014 10:23 am

Please keep the UF/FSU rivalry and USNWR/ATL ranking debates out of this thread, thanks.

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Thu May 01, 2014 2:56 pm

It depends where you want to spend the rest of your life living and practicing law. UF if you want to live in Florida. U of Arizona if you want to practice in Arizona. UF has almost Ivy status among Floridians (unreasonable maybe, but that is the way it is) but I doubt the same holds true in Arizona (reputation of UF I mean).

terrapinjetta

Postby terrapinjetta » Sat May 03, 2014 10:48 am

Anybody start reading yet? I'm working my way through Contracts E&E

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Sat May 03, 2014 4:38 pm

terrapinjetta wrote:Anybody start reading yet? I'm working my way through Contracts E&E

As in for class? How did you get your assignments already?

hous

Postby hous » Sat May 03, 2014 4:51 pm

UF and FSU are both great schools.

UF is better for tax / big law but honestly if you are going for big law you shouldn't go to either because a small percentage of grads will get big law offers at either school.

FSU is better for government work and environmental law. FSU also has better employment rates, this is undeniable, its been this way for awhile.

You should chose which school to go to based upon:
1) Location - both Gainesville and Tally are college towns with not much else to do but party.
2) Whether you want tax or government work.

Don't decide based upon:
1) Rankings

Truth is the schools are now the same reputation wise and both have a boatload of diverse loyal alumni. If you want to do government work you should not go to UF. If you want tax you should not go to FSU. If you want biglaw, you should not go to either.

hous

Postby hous » Sat May 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Don't read anything for class until you get assignments. You will just burn yourself out.

terrapinjetta

Postby terrapinjetta » Mon May 05, 2014 12:42 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:
terrapinjetta wrote:Anybody start reading yet? I'm working my way through Contracts E&E

As in for class? How did you get your assignments already?

I think everyone is taking contracts the first semester, and I assumed we'd be reading the Examples and Explanations book for each class we took, so I thought I'd just get started. Won't we be reading these books in their entirety anyway?

In Gainesville this afternoon, looking for a house to rent! Very excited.

upstateboy

Postby upstateboy » Mon May 05, 2014 2:14 pm

Its official I'm a Florida Gator :mrgreen: (that's as close to a gator as we got)

terrapinjetta

Postby terrapinjetta » Tue May 06, 2014 10:08 pm

Spent the past day or two in Gainesville looking for a house... pretty slim pickings... we heard a lot of stuff comes up in July for August leases, can anyone vouch for that?

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Tue May 06, 2014 10:33 pm

terrapinjetta wrote:Spent the past day or two in Gainesville looking for a house... pretty slim pickings... we heard a lot of stuff comes up in July for August leases, can anyone vouch for that?

I'm not sure about that...I mean, people resigning leases have varying terms. My own lease require like a 90 day notice...so I had to let my property management company know by May 18. (I currently live in Gainesville). It also depends on the area, the housing near the law school is already pretty slim, so there might not be many options later on.

I was looking for other options as well and came up short, the options just weren't there. Unless you're rooming with other people, I think that might be the case. I would recommend checking out craigslist, property management companies, real estate agencies that deal with renting, and also a public MLS search for rentals. (Zillow is also a great resource).

The place I'm at now (been here for a couple years now) was a product of looking hard and often. Just keep on it and I'm sure you'll find something suitable. There are always a plethora of apartment complexes... :/ lol

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Wed May 07, 2014 12:03 pm

Hey everyone. I'm starting at UF Law in the fall (as you probably know from my numerous postings including the UF Law v FSU Law forum) and have already moved to Gainesville (wife found a job fast). I know how stressful finding the apartment can be because Gainesville has literally hundreds of apartment complexes.

I toured about 10 of them and chose to live at Cazabella (1 of the 4 complexes on 34th right near the school and the only one with W/D in the unit). I have been fortunate enough to be hired where I live to do leasing for the summer and would be happy to show any of my fellow TLSers (even Nucky) around Cazabella or even tell you about the other places I looked at. PM me or call or come on in and ask for Rob. It'd be great to meet some of my fellow UF Law Class of 2017 mates before school begins.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed May 07, 2014 1:52 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:Hey everyone. I'm starting at UF Law in the fall (as you probably know from my numerous postings including the UF Law v FSU Law forum) and have already moved to Gainesville (wife found a job fast). I know how stressful finding the apartment can be because Gainesville has literally hundreds of apartment complexes.

I toured about 10 of them and chose to live at Cazabella (1 of the 4 complexes on 34th right near the school and the only one with W/D in the unit). I have been fortunate enough to be hired where I live to do leasing for the summer and would be happy to show any of my fellow TLSers (even Nucky) around Cazabella or even tell you about the other places I looked at. PM me or call or come on in and ask for Rob. It'd be great to meet some of my fellow UF Law Class of 2017 mates before school begins.

Unwarranted Nucky trolling. I think I'll keep my suite at the Ritz Carlton.

terrapinjetta

Postby terrapinjetta » Thu May 08, 2014 12:33 pm

I think we're doing Treehouse Village for a short lease and moving there ASAP to use it as a base while we try to nab a house for the year.

Has anybody lived in Treehouse Village?

terrapinjetta

Postby terrapinjetta » Fri May 09, 2014 9:07 am

Would living in Micanopy be crazy?

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Fri May 09, 2014 10:12 am

terrapinjetta wrote:Would living in Micanopy be crazy?

It would really depend on your situation. Do you have a place to stay for free in Micanopy? If so, then it may be okay. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it. Traffic on University and Archer is a total disaster during commute times making your trip to and from the school around 45 minutes.

terrapinjetta

Postby terrapinjetta » Fri May 09, 2014 3:10 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:

It would really depend on your situation. Do you have a place to stay for free in Micanopy? If so, then it may be okay. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it. Traffic on University and Archer is a total disaster during commute times making your trip to and from the school around 45 minutes.

Thanks for the tip!

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Sat May 10, 2014 10:59 am

terrapinjetta wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:

Thanks for the tip!

Happy to help. Wherever you plan to live I'd sign quickly. 1 bedrooms are almost gone at the 3 complexes on 34th (Cazabella, Camelot, Village 34) owned by the company I work for and all 3 are now open on the weekends. If you have roommates and are looking for 2 or 3 bedrooms you still have time but for 1 bedroom apartments time is running out.

I can't wait for August!

aklam19

Postby aklam19 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:07 pm

Hey there - I figured if you're reading this thread you've probably decided to come to UF already. I just wanted to post again to see if anyone has any questions and invite you to join the facebook group for the 2017 class https://www.facebook.com/groups/718434271532019/.

We're all excited for y'all to be coming next year and always willing to answer questions and help.

Cheers.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”