UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:09 am

thevuch wrote:does anyone know anything about trying to get instate after the first year?

it looks pretty difficult, as in youve got to have some reason aside from going to law school there to get it

It's pretty easy actually. I think almost everyone got it after their first year. I think the main requirement is that you lived in the state of Florida for 12 consecutive months.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:15 am

i hope thats true. the language on all these reclassification forms talk about how there has to be some other reason aside from the attending the school, that the residency cant be temporary or incidental to enrollment into a graduate program

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:14 am

thevuch wrote:i hope thats true. the language on all these reclassification forms talk about how there has to be some other reason aside from the attending the school, that the residency cant be temporary or incidental to enrollment into a graduate program

http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/residency/qualifying.html

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:17 am

thevuch wrote:i hope thats true. the language on all these reclassification forms talk about how there has to be some other reason aside from the attending the school, that the residency cant be temporary or incidental to enrollment into a graduate program

My roommate had a really hard time gaining instate tuition for undergrad. Her parents even owned a house in Florida that we lived in. But that was five years ago...

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:36 am

I read somewhere that over 70% of OOS students receive instate for their second and third year.

Just move to FL in July, and get a new license, register to vote, register your car, etc. immediately and you should be fine.

I'd call to double check though.

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:42 am

Nucky wrote:I read somewhere that over 70% of OOS students receive instate for their second and third year.

Just move to FL in July, and get a new license, register to vote, register your car, etc. immediately and you should be fine.

I'd call to double check though.

I know a few people who were able to get residency before their second year, so I'm pretty sure Nucky is right. You just have to do all of the steps to show you are relocating (License, registration, register to vote, etc.)

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:22 am

Nucky wrote:I read somewhere that over 70% of OOS students receive instate for their second and third year.

do you remember where you read this?

and it may not be so easy...

the residency reclassification form says this:

An independent student who is claiming residency must show that their residency in the state was not merely
temporary or incidental to enrolling at the institution of higher education. Living in or attending school in Florida
will not, in itself, establish legal residence for tuition purposes. Additional evidence or documentation will be required for
meeting this requirement of reclassification. This requirement must be satisfied in order to obtain residency for tuition
purposes.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:02 pm

thevuch wrote:

do you remember where you read this?

and it may not be so easy...

the residency reclassification form says this:

An independent student who is claiming residency must show that their residency in the state was not merely
temporary or incidental to enrolling at the institution of higher education. Living in or attending school in Florida
will not, in itself, establish legal residence for tuition purposes. Additional evidence or documentation will be required for
meeting this requirement of reclassification. This requirement must be satisfied in order to obtain residency for tuition
purposes.

I don't remember where I read it, and it may have been a TLS forum or another relatively unreliable source. I'll let you know if I can find it again, since now it is bothering me as well.

Also consider that only 9% of last year's class was OOS so even if the 70% number is correct it's probably based on a relatively small sample size, so this should all be taken with a grain of salt.

Regardless of what anyone says on TLS, if you're counting on in-state for 2L and 3L call the school and do a heavy amount of independent research. Everyone's situation is unique. Finding out your COA will be $40k more than anticipated heading into 2L would be unpleasant.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:33 pm

I called. The lady at the office said the sorts of things that aren't incidental are getting married, buying a house, or starting a career job

Maybe this is why it's only 9%

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:41 pm

I've heard at FSU it's fairly simple. All you need is two of the three (fl drivers license, car registration, and/or voters registration) to be considered in state for your second year. As long as those things have been dated for 12 months.

UF is notorious for having multiple answers, I'd make sure to talk to the office where you'll have to file those papers in year. I think that would be the registrars office.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Yeah my info is from the registrars. She did say it's case by case but that those are the types of things that make it non incidental

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:50 pm

thevuch wrote:Yeah my info is from the registrars. She did say it's case by case but that those are the types of things that make it non incidental

That's crazy...I was under the same impression as Nucky. Idk where I heard it from either...

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:52 pm

Yeah the law school punts you over to the registrars office and then they punt you back to the law school or try to just have you look at the paperwork I had to navigate the phones all morning and press this lady by saying look I've read it and I've talked to the law school but I need to know what this incidental thing means

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:57 pm

thevuch wrote:Yeah the law school punts you over to the registrars office and then they punt you back to the law school or try to just have you look at the paperwork I had to navigate the phones all morning and press this lady by saying look I've read it and I've talked to the law school but I need to know what this incidental thing means

Haaaa, yeah. I had a lot of that undergrad. I just learned everything on my own and prayed I didn't have to talk to one of the offices. Apparently, UF Law has independent offices ( I guess aside from the registrars) to minimize that office hopping BS.

lynzl84

Postby lynzl84 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:44 pm

rdelaney wrote:I've heard at FSU it's fairly simple. All you need is two of the three (fl drivers license, car registration, and/or voters registration) to be considered in state for your second year. As long as those things have been dated for 12 months.

UF is notorious for having multiple answers, I'd make sure to talk to the office where you'll have to file those papers in year. I think that would be the registrars office.

My understanding is that it's pretty straightforward. Live here for twelve months before the start of classes 2L year (so make sure you are in gainesville early enough this year to do that), get a driver license, register your car, register to vote, file a certificate of domicile, demonstrate your intent to live here for practice, etc. Although I believe there are some hoops to jump through and some waiting to be done, it's possible. My roommate moved in at the beginning of August before our 1L year, and I believe she had established residency by beginning of 2L year. (Correction: she established by Jan, but probably could have established by August, she just didn't get the paperwork filed in time)

Other than making sure you're here a bit before the semester (before ILSP, because you won't have time to do it then), there's not much you need to do now, unless you are already in Gainesville. If you have any questions, please send me a PM and I'm happy to put you in touch with someone who can help you out. But keep in mind, we're all in the midst of finals, so it might be a week or two before someone can help you.

lynzl84

Postby lynzl84 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:46 pm

rdelaney wrote:
thevuch wrote:Yeah the law school punts you over to the registrars office and then they punt you back to the law school or try to just have you look at the paperwork I had to navigate the phones all morning and press this lady by saying look I've read it and I've talked to the law school but I need to know what this incidental thing means

Haaaa, yeah. I had a lot of that undergrad. I just learned everything on my own and prayed I didn't have to talk to one of the offices. Apparently, UF Law has independent offices ( I guess aside from the registrars) to minimize that office hopping BS.

Yes, Student Affairs has it's own registrar, a representative from financial aid, someone who deals with the international office (for exchanges), etc. But they proctor all the final exams and then run graduation, so they are extremely busy right now. You'll probably have better luck waiting until after graduation.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:48 pm

I realize it's possible but the fact that you can't guarantee that every 2L is an in state resident like some schools can is just worrisome

Without a scholRship it's like a 40000 dollar dice roll

as975266

Postby as975266 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:50 pm

Hey guys,
The admissions office sent me the following list in order to gain residency. They said it was unofficial but it contains the same steps a current 2L took to gain in state residency...

Check List
Re-Classification of Residency

I. Before you arrive in Gainesville (or very soon after)

__ Declare your domicile at the Gainesville courthouse downtown.

__ Lease an apartment in Gainesville as soon as possible.

__ Obtain a Florida driver's license.

__ Register your vehicle in Florida.

__ Switch your auto insurance to an agency in Gainesville.

__ Register to vote in Florida.

__ Transfer any bank accounts from your home state to Florida. This means completely closing the old accounts and opening completely new ones. Just switching the address on the accounts is NOT enough. If you can get the same bank in both places (for example, some students use Bank of America for their free student checking), it makes the process a lot easier.

__ Transfer the addresses on all other financial assets (including mutual/investment funds and credit cards) to your new Gainesville address so that the statements come here instead of going to your old address or permanent address.

__ Apply to the Florida Bar. While you cannot actually apply until your first day at UF Law, you can start gathering all the materials over the summer before you start law school. Hence, you can have everything ready and notarized so that you can submit your application on Orientation day. There is also a discount in the application fee the earlier you apply. Please note that while the Florida Bar application is not required to establish residency, it will help to show your intent to reside in the state of Florida.

*Note: We recommend completing the above steps as early as possible and before you even start classes this fall. It's easier to take two days and get everything checked off your list so you are not running around trying to take care of everything during the first few weeks of law school. Remember, you will want to show a clear “starting point” of establishing your residency in Florida to the University’s Registrar’s Office.

II. Request for Residency Reclassification Form
(Submit application form as soon as possible after residing in Florida 12 full months. The form may be found on the University Registrar’s website).

__ Make sure you are not claimed as a dependent on someone else’s taxes.

__ Save all your Gainesville utilities and internet bills (in order, by month) and make copies as you receive them.

__ Complete the University’s Request for Residency Reclassification form and, if you're claiming independent status, the financial statement that goes with it. The form may be found on the University Registrar’s website.

__ Attach the following to your Request for Residency Reclassification form:

__ Documentation of ALL of the above steps.

__ Financial aid award letter from UF Law (if applicable).

__ Proof of payment on your lease for the months you have lived here.

__Additional essay/statement explaining why you will not work this year (full-time student, must get special permission to work as a 1L), why you came to school at UF Law, and how you plan to stay here for a very long time.

__ Copy of Clearance letter from FL Bar (most students do not submit the entire Florida Bar application as part of their residency application. You will receive your clearance letter a couple months after the FL Bar reviews your application).

__ Attach the following to the financial affidavit portion of the Request for Residency Reclassification form:

__Investment statements.

__Your income tax returns.

__Bank records from every account you have.
Again, while the College of Law is not involved in determining re-classification, we want to provide you with guidelines so that your reclassification process goes as smoothly and timely as possible. We strongly recommend that you review the information on the University Office of the Registrar’s website as well as the Request for Residency Reclassification form which can be found on this page.

Hope this helps and congrats everyone!

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:06 pm

Helpful. But it still looks like a dice roll unless that application for the Florida bar is enough to make it non incidental

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:51 pm

I'm fortunate enough to be a lifelong FL resident but at some of the out of state schools I was accepted at I was told that since I am married, if my wife works in the state 12 full months prior to the second year and we file a joint tax return I would be able to re-classify as a resident for tuition purposes. I know this only works for married people (and can't guarantee the same is true at UF) but it could help someone so I thought I'd put it out there.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:47 pm

Florida ranked #32 in the new ATL rankings!

FSU not even in the top 50. 8)

How odd that a 2014 ranking would use the most recent employment data available... What a concept!

underwear

Postby underwear » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Nucky wrote:Florida ranked #32 in the new ATL rankings!

How odd that a 2014 ranking would use the most recent employment data available... What a concept!

Even though UF has closed the gap from the year prior, aren't FSU's latest employment percentages, which ATL places greater weight on, still better? Odd.

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:26 pm

underwear wrote:

Even though UF has closed the gap from the year prior, aren't FSU's latest employment percentages, which ATL places greater weight on, still better? Odd.

No. ATL gives a lot of weight to jobs with large law firms and Federal Clerkship. Using this standard, UF bests FSU.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:28 pm

OhScalia wrote:
underwear wrote:

No. ATL gives a lot of weight to jobs with large law firms and Federal Clerkship. Using this standard, UF bests FSU.

Right. Miami also beat FSU by coming in at #48.

lsfox86

Postby lsfox86 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:20 am

I just deposited - G'ville round two for me... Now I need to find a place to live

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”