UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rdelaney

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby rdelaney » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:37 pm

thevuch wrote:My status read "admission offer mailed" when I was accepted a bout a week ago.

And I guess the scholarship stuff comes a week or so after the initial acceptance if at all?

I would be willing to bet that "all" scholarships have been sent. BUT, with your numbers, I would assume they would find some money for you from the people who have withdrawn. Some other guys have been trying to add some money onto our scholarships from UF and they are pretty much saying they are reserving that money for other students who haven't been considered for any.

TL:DR - You'll probably get an offer in about a week or so.

usaacs

Postby usaacs » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:05 am

@OhScalia--You sound equally emotionally unstable. You're a practicing attorney, no? You don't have better things to be doing with your time than to be posting in a forum for prospective 1Ls?

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:23 am

Withdrew

A whopping $0 back in the pot

Going to Emory

Good luck in Gainesville guys!

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:24 am

rdelaney wrote:
thevuch wrote:My status read "admission offer mailed" when I was accepted a bout a week ago.

And I guess the scholarship stuff comes a week or so after the initial acceptance if at all?

I would be willing to bet that "all" scholarships have been sent. BUT, with your numbers, I would assume they would find some money for you from the people who have withdrawn. Some other guys have been trying to add some money onto our scholarships from UF and they are pretty much saying they are reserving that money for other students who haven't been considered for any.

I hope so. What's TLDR

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:57 am

thevuch wrote:
rdelaney wrote:

I hope so. What's TLDR

Too long, don't read. I should have put "sorry for the rambling, read this." It would have been more appropriate. Haha

phireblast

Postby phireblast » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:58 pm

I withdrew so about 30K back in the pot.

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:51 pm

usaacs wrote:@OhScalia--You sound equally emotionally unstable. You're a practicing attorney, no? You don't have better things to be doing with your time than to be posting in a forum for prospective 1Ls?

I don't follow your logic. On the contrary, TLS needs practicing lawyers to advice incoming students in these forums. In any event, I am not a practicing lawyer; I am a 3L, graduating in less than a month.

LawGirl7

Postby LawGirl7 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:35 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:Withdrew

A whopping $0 back in the pot

Going to Emory

Good luck in Gainesville guys!

Me too, see you there! Wish UF wasn't so stingy with scholarship money for in-state applicants.

redbull12

Postby redbull12 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:03 am

Do you guys think this FSU takeover as the number one law school in the whole state of Florida is permanent or just an aberration?

FSU has always been seen more as a government/public interest school but it seems massive changes have happened. The new advocacy center for instance.

http://www.fsunews.com/article/20140416 ... l-Bar-Exam

The Dean says the business program is the best in the state. With FSU being in the Capitol whereas UF is in a swamp, thus government and public interest work being very hard to obtain in said swamp, if this statement has the potential to be true, who knows what will happen? I personally believe that the change is likely to be permanent and will never be reversed.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:13 am

redbull12 wrote:Do you guys think this FSU takeover as the number one law school in the whole state of Florida is permanent or just an aberration?

FSU has always been seen more as a government/public interest school but it seems massive changes have happened. The new advocacy center for instance.

http://www.fsunews.com/article/20140416 ... l-Bar-Exam

The Dean says the business program is the best in the state. With FSU being in the Capitol whereas UF is in a swamp, thus government and public interest work being very hard to obtain in said swamp, if this statement has the potential to be true, who knows what will happen? I personally believe that the change is likely to be permanent and will never be reversed.

This isn't the right place for this. The USNEWS rankings are based on the 2012 numbers where we were 10% behind FSU in employment numbers. We're now 3% behind based on 2013 and still have almost twice as many students in biglaw. FSU is definitely better for public service but not for private practice. UF's location is annoying because there aren't a ton of places to work during school but it doesn't matter for the summer. A few people stay in Gainesvile but most go back home for the summer. Do non-gov people really want to live in Tally after graduating? I would be surprised if that were the case.

redbull12

Postby redbull12 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:39 am

I also forgot that UF football is :lol:

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:15 am

redbull12 wrote:I also forgot that UF football is :lol:

The Napoleon complex is strong in Tallahassee.

FSU will become a better the school the day it stops being the place UF rejects fall back on. :)

redbull12

Postby redbull12 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:25 am

Nucky wrote:

FSU will become a better the school the day it stops being the place UF rejects fall back on. :)

Are we discussing undergrads or law school here? First, search through tls uf fsu history and you will find quite a few accepted to both who chose fsu over uf. Secondly, it always makes me lol when uf acts as if florida is the Mecca of education or something. California says hi.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:45 am

redbull12 wrote:
Nucky wrote:

Are we discussing undergrads or law school here? First, search through tls uf fsu history and you will find quite a few accepted to both who chose fsu over uf. Secondly, it always makes me lol when uf acts as if florida is the Mecca of education or something. California says hi.

I lol when people who are shamelessly trolling come into a thread and claim a long and clearly inferior school to be superior by virtue of one year's USNWR and then brag about their, "education."

Also lol at any state in America being a, "Mecca of education." The only relevant things California is a Mecca of are absurd tuition costs and high taxes.

redbull12

Postby redbull12 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:01 am

Nucky wrote:
redbull12 wrote:
Nucky wrote:

I lol when people who are shamelessly trolling come into a thread and claim a long and clearly inferior school to be superior by virtue of one year's USNWR and then brag about their, "education."

Also lol at any state in America being a, "Mecca of education." The only relevant things California is a Mecca of are absurd tuition costs and high taxes.

So Silicon Valley and Hollywood are irrelevant. :lol:

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:10 am

redbull12 wrote:So Silicon Valley and Hollywood are irrelevant. :lol:

When it comes to a law school applicant's thread, far more often than not, yes.

Go home redbull, you're drunk.

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:36 am

General question: Do you think $680 is "too much" to pay per month for a one bedroom? Really close to law school (can easily walk). Trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $$ over three years.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:44 am

so i got accepted about 11 days and just sent an email asking if ill be considered for a scholarship.

i hope so.

i have a stupid amount of ties to this school and the state of florida. didnt really realize it until i started thinking about it

would be hard to say no if they can make a comparable offer!!

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:54 am

SailorMoon9543 wrote:General question: Do you think $680 is "too much" to pay per month for a one bedroom? Really close to law school (can easily walk). Trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $$ over three years.

I think that depends on the apartment's location and amenities. It's a judgment call on your part. But if you're trying to bottom out on expenses there are certainly much cheaper places to live in Gainesville that would put you in $400's territory.

Good luck, Vuch!

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:30 pm

Thank you for writing. To update you on things here, April 15 was the first deadline for students to accept their scholarships and we had another deadline on Monday. At this time, we have reached our budget. Regrettably, there are no funds leftover to distribute to students who have asked for awards or for an increase to their awards. I’m really very sorry for this news as I know it is not what you hoped for. We do hope that you will choose us, but we understand the important role that finances play in your decision. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Seriously? I am applying to law school. I studied for the logical reasoning section of the LSAT. My brain functions on some level. I know that for the budget to be reached and no funds to be left over that every person must have accepted their scholarship for both deadlines. A completely believable outcome I suppose. Wait, no it's not. I'm mildly insulted.

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:40 pm

thevuch wrote:Thank you for writing. To update you on things here, April 15 was the first deadline for students to accept their scholarships and we had another deadline on Monday. At this time, we have reached our budget. Regrettably, there are no funds leftover to distribute to students who have asked for awards or for an increase to their awards. I’m really very sorry for this news as I know it is not what you hoped for. We do hope that you will choose us, but we understand the important role that finances play in your decision. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Seriously? I am applying to law school. I studied for the logical reasoning section of the LSAT. My brain functions on some level. I know that for the budget to be reached and no funds to be left over that every person must have accepted their scholarship for both deadlines. A completely believable outcome I suppose. Wait, no it's not. I'm mildly insulted.

Haha welcome to the club. They really need to work on their honesty. They should just say that they won't offer an award. But all of those students didn't accept their award, according to LSN.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:03 pm

rdelaney wrote:
thevuch wrote:Thank you for writing. To update you on things here, April 15 was the first deadline for students to accept their scholarships and we had another deadline on Monday. At this time, we have reached our budget. Regrettably, there are no funds leftover to distribute to students who have asked for awards or for an increase to their awards. I’m really very sorry for this news as I know it is not what you hoped for. We do hope that you will choose us, but we understand the important role that finances play in your decision. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Haha welcome to the club. They really need to work on their honesty. They should just say that they won't offer an award. But all of those students didn't accept their award, according to LSN.

Sounds the age-old, "it's not you, it's me," line. (But really it's you).

Sorry to hear that though, Vuch. I don't know when you have to make your decision(guessing May 15th) but I would hang around until a week or so before that date and ask again. I believe they have another deadline coming up on May 1st for recent scholarship recipients. Crazier things have happened.

hunterp

Postby hunterp » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:37 pm

Admitted and looking for a roommate. That is all.

flgatorfan0101

Postby flgatorfan0101 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:07 pm

hunterp wrote:Admitted and looking for a roommate. That is all.

I'm also looking for roommates. I've got a dog so I would like a house with a backyard. I've found a few that are close to the law school and reasonably priced. I'll message those links to you but if anyone else is interested feel free to send me a message.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:42 pm

i emailed are you sureee???

reply:

There is a very small possibility that a student may withdraw from UF who had a scholarship. This would make funding available but the Financial Aid Committee would then review the students who did not receive awards. As you can imagine, with our limited budget, there are many students to whom we were unable to offer scholarships. Also, these are merit awards, so it is a holistic review process. I would not be able to guarantee you an award, or that someone would withdraw before your May 15 deadline. I’m sorry.

these are merit awards? duh no shit.

she really thinks im stupid

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”