UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
OhScalia

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby OhScalia » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:19 pm

:)
usaacs wrote:Nucky, please don't come to my law school.

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:42 pm

We'll talk about our feelings in three years when you and Ben Frank are getting me coffee.

Unlike you, I have a job. I'll be the one interviewing you douche bag.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:56 pm

OhScalia wrote:
We'll talk about our feelings in three years when you and Ben Frank are getting me coffee.

If you work there it's highly unlikely I'll be interviewing there.

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:22 pm

Nucky wrote:
OhScalia wrote:

If you work there it's highly unlikely I'll be interviewing there.

That makes sense because my work does not dip below top 5% at UF.

underwear

Postby underwear » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:23 pm

I see a couple Ls:

1) Is having a car in Gainesville generally a good idea? Not sure how spread out everything is and whether or not public transportation is reliable. Also wondering if a motorcycle would be a better idea if the car is too overkill.

1.5) Google'd the law school and... wow, a 26 minute walk to the gym? Also interesting that frat row is right next to the school.

2) What're the class sections like? How do you guys feel about the semi-large class size and how does it affect your experience with the curve? (Obviously this would be heavily YMMV, but just wanted to hear experiences)

Thanks.

shortgiraffes

Postby shortgiraffes » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:03 pm

Underwear, I'm currently in UG at UF so I can help answer some questions...

I have a few friends without cars but it is generally a good idea to have a car in Gainesville, and the overwhelming majority of people I know have cars. At a lot of apartment complexes you don't even have to pay to park it. I love having my car in Gainesville. Public transportation here is good, and the bus system is pretty consistent, but things are spread out. When I really think of it, my friends without cars all have a car-driving roommate that they mooch off of all the time.

I also have a scooter and I love that thing. It's mostly useful on weekdays when I'm going to campus, or if I'm going to a friend's apartment where they don't really have visitor parking. Having a car is people's first priority over a scooter or motorcycle, but every day around Gainesville you will see many people whizzing about on motorcycles and scooters. It's quite popular here because of parking. Having both a scooter and a car has been useful to me as an UG. If you can only have one, I say take the car unless you have a roomie or best friend who can consistently take you to the grocery store and stuff.

As for a long walk to the gym, there's a large parking lot that you can park in by the gym and its paid decal restrictions lift at... Around 3:30? Restrictions lift on different lots at different times around campus so it's hard for me to remember. Regardless, if you're an evening gym person, you could easily drive. And if you get a motorcycle (much less expensive decal and easier to park on campus than the car) you can go to the gym anytime because motorcycle parking is always open to you. If this doesn't sound like your jam, there's always the bus... http://go-rts.com/campus-routes.php Looks like the 119 takes you from the law school to the gym (SW Rec) but I have never taken it because the scooter-car combination has left me little need to use the bus

Let me know if you have any other questions! I am not a law student at UF and I don't know anything about the law student experience here, but as for questions about Gainesville in general or apartments I would be happy to answer.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:12 am

I apologize if I came off a bit harsh in my previous posts. I was with a few other law students/hopefuls, and we were drinking, encouraging each other, and I was posting with a degree of jest that may not have been apparent. I particularly apologize to Sailor, Cricket, Usaacs, and anyone else I may have offended who is seriously considering UF, or currently a part of the community.

As for Scalia and Ben --- I still don't care for either of you or your trolling.

nmm10e

Postby nmm10e » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:47 am

Well..uhm..on a happier note: I got my acceptance packet! woooo

Wish I could have joined you all on Friday. Reading these posts have been quite interesting, though. I will be visiting the 25th of April- If anyone is going around that time PM me :)

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:59 am

was scholarship money supposed to come with the packet

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:02 pm

thevuch wrote:was scholarship money supposed to come with the packet

If I remember correctly, I think most people got it about a week after the initial packet. But at this point in the cycle, that may not hold true in your case.

phireblast

Postby phireblast » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:39 pm

thevuch wrote:was scholarship money supposed to come with the packet

Accepted December, received packet December, got scholarship late March.

I'm declining though, so that money will go back to you guys. Good luck!

usaacs

Postby usaacs » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:24 pm

Nucky wrote:I apologize if I came off a bit harsh in my previous posts. I was with a few other law students/hopefuls, and we were drinking, encouraging each other, and I was posting with a degree of jest that may not have been apparent. I particularly apologize to Sailor, Cricket, Usaacs, and anyone else I may have offended who is seriously considering UF, or currently a part of the community.

As for Scalia and Ben --- I still don't care for either of you or your trolling.

You seem pretty emotionally unstable. I think 1L is going to take a toll on you.

usaacs

Postby usaacs » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:30 pm

underwear wrote:I see a couple Ls:

1) Is having a car in Gainesville generally a good idea? Not sure how spread out everything is and whether or not public transportation is reliable. Also wondering if a motorcycle would be a better idea if the car is too overkill.

1.5) Google'd the law school and... wow, a 26 minute walk to the gym? Also interesting that frat row is right next to the school.

2) What're the class sections like? How do you guys feel about the semi-large class size and how does it affect your experience with the curve? (Obviously this would be heavily YMMV, but just wanted to hear experiences)

Thanks.

1. Having a car is definitely a good idea. The bus system is good, but trust me you want a car. Everyone has a scooter, so I guess a bike would be good if you wanted.

1.5 The law school is pretty secluded and not near main campus, so that would explain the gym distance. By car it's like a 5 minute drive depending on traffic. And yes, frat row is near by, you'll likely be parking there from time-to-time.

2. The good thing about a big section is that you get to meet a lot of people. Statistically speaking, the size of the class doesn't affect your chances, percentage wise, of making the top 10% or whatever. Though, the bigger the class, the more smart people you're competing against I suppose. That said, I've been lucky enough to have been treated well by the curve.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:42 pm

usaacs wrote:

Thanks.

1. Having a car is definitely a good idea. The bus system is good, but trust me you want a car. Everyone has a scooter, so I guess a bike would be good if you wanted.

1.5 The law school is pretty secluded and not near main campus, so that would explain the gym distance. By car it's like a 5 minute drive depending on traffic. And yes, frat row is near by, you'll likely be parking there from time-to-time.

2. The good thing about a big section is that you get to meet a lot of people. Statistically speaking, the size of the class doesn't affect your chances, percentage wise, of making the top 10% or whatever. Though, the bigger the class, the more smart people you're competing against I suppose. That said, I've been lucky enough to have been treated well by the curve.

Um, what? The law school is closer to Southwest than anywhere on main campus. I want to say it's about a mile from the law school so you have to walk a really slow mile for it to take 26 minutes.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:20 pm

usaacs wrote:
Nucky wrote:I apologize if I came off a bit harsh in my previous posts. I was with a few other law students/hopefuls, and we were drinking, encouraging each other, and I was posting with a degree of jest that may not have been apparent. I particularly apologize to Sailor, Cricket, Usaacs, and anyone else I may have offended who is seriously considering UF, or currently a part of the community.

You seem pretty emotionally unstable. I think 1L is going to take a toll on you.

Cool story, bro.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Officially decided not to attend UF last night. Although I would never let one persons attitude deter me from attending, it seems like the attitudes on this thread echo the majority of those I encountered at ASD.

Other reasons played a factor, but I just had to point that out. Good luck all.

usaacs

Postby usaacs » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:30 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
usaacs wrote:

Thanks.

Um, what? The law school is closer to Southwest than anywhere on main campus. I want to say it's about a mile from the law school so you have to walk a really slow mile for it to take 26 minutes.

I guess. It's definitely more than a mile though.

pat4redick

Postby pat4redick » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:14 pm

usaacs wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
usaacs wrote:

Thanks.

I guess. It's definitely more than a mile though.

Nah, it's only a mile.

lsfox86

Postby lsfox86 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:06 pm

What are some good apartment complexes around the law school that are not overrun with undergrads? Maybe out on Archer...? Also, what is the possibility of finding a reasonably priced house near the school to split with roommates? Thanks

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:33 pm

lsfox86 wrote:What are some good apartment complexes around the law school that are not overrun with undergrads? Maybe out on Archer...? Also, what is the possibility of finding a reasonably priced house near the school to split with roommates? Thanks

Archer is much more overrun with undergrads than the cluster of apartments on 34th (Camelot, Hawaiian Village, Point West, Village 34, Cazabella). The houses near the school are pretty easy to get but you have to find some roommates first. Pretty much everywhere in Gainesville is affordable and decent except the Continuum.

lynzl84

Postby lynzl84 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:39 pm

nebula666 wrote:
lsfox86 wrote:What are some good apartment complexes around the law school that are not overrun with undergrads? Maybe out on Archer...? Also, what is the possibility of finding a reasonably priced house near the school to split with roommates? Thanks

Archer is much more overrun with undergrads than the cluster of apartments on 34th (Camelot, Hawaiian Village, Point West, Village 34, Cazabella). The houses near the school are pretty easy to get but you have to find some roommates first. Pretty much everywhere in Gainesville is affordable and decent except the Continuum.

Agree with the above. Also, there is a Roommate Finder Forum that Admissions has created. You can request access here: http://www.law.ufl.edu/admissions/roomm ... quest-form

All of the information under the New Students section of the website will be updated as information as released: http://www.law.ufl.edu/student-affairs/new-students

The ambassadors will also be creating a housing guide on the website shortly. Check out the C/O 2017 facebook page for information as it is released: https://www.facebook.com/groups/718434271532019/

Reply here or PM me if you have any questions!

Spaniard

Postby Spaniard » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Congratulations to everyone that has already received their admission.

Just out of curiosity is anyone still stuck in comparative review?

With the exception of the email from admissions last week has anyone had a status update since last Monday when they sent out the new batch of acceptances or is everything at a standstill?

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:31 pm

usaacs wrote:

He is pretty emotionally unstable. 1L is going to take a toll on him.

luke6028

Postby luke6028 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:33 pm

Spaniard wrote:Congratulations to everyone that has already received their admission.

With the exception of the email from admissions last week has anyone had a status update since last Monday when they sent out the new batch of acceptances or is everything at a standstill?

I still am......

Spaniard

Postby Spaniard » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:03 pm

luke6028 wrote:
Spaniard wrote:Congratulations to everyone that has already received their admission.

I still am......

My last status date change was on 4/1, have you had any movement since then?
When did you turn in your app?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”