UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thevuch

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby thevuch » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:28 pm

acc123 wrote:
thevuch wrote:has anyone tried to negotiate scholarships with them

Yes, but my LSAT is 166.

were you successful? mine is 165

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:22 pm

[/quote]

If you don't mind my asking, any idea where and what you wanna practice? And how big is the gap in total cost of attendance?[/quote]

I've always wanted to practice in NYC/LA, but honestly wouldn't mind Miami. If I went to UF, I would hardly be taking out any Loans, besides like $1000 for books. I have family to stay with. If I take any of the other choices I'd be going at least 150-200k in debt.[/quote]

Are you sure you can be in the top 10% of the class after 1L year at UF?[/quote]

Is this a serious question?[/quote]

More of a trap question.

acc123

Postby acc123 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:23 pm

thevuch wrote:
acc123 wrote:
thevuch wrote:has anyone tried to negotiate scholarships with them

Yes, but my LSAT is 166.

were you successful? mine is 165

Yes, but not as much as I would have liked.

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:52 pm

At the top black shirt at jeans

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Is anyone else staying at The Continuum for ASD?

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:30 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:Is anyone else staying at The Continuum for ASD?

That's a hotel?? That's odd...

And w7ldcard, I'm here sitting outside - sent a few pms

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 pm

rdelaney wrote:
SailorMoon9543 wrote:Is anyone else staying at The Continuum for ASD?

That's a hotel?? That's odd...

And w7ldcard, I'm here sitting outside - sent a few pms

It's an apartment complex for UF grad students. You can stay here free in one of the fully furnished apartments for two nights if you're visiting for an official UF event.

underwear

Postby underwear » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:15 pm

To those going to the ASD: please ask a ton of questions and report back! Particularly interested in what UF's doing to increase their employment stats.

.... and of course get ahead of FSU in rankings.

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:47 pm

underwear wrote:To those going to the ASD: please ask a ton of questions and report back! Particularly interested in what UF's doing to increase their employment stats.

It's going to be hard for you UF to catch up in employment unless the school is ready to cut the size of its class. In 2013, FSU had 237 law graduates; UF 354. In this tough economy, that's way too may students especially when one factors the curve, which necessarily will prevent some graduates from even getting interviews.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:32 am

OhScalia wrote:
underwear wrote:To those going to the ASD: please ask a ton of questions and report back! Particularly interested in what UF's doing to increase their employment stats.

It's going to be hard for you UF to catch up in employment unless the school is ready to cut the size of its class. In 2013, FSU had 237 law graduates; UF 354. In this tough economy, that's way too may students especially when one factors the curve, which necessarily will prevent some graduates from even getting interviews.

Such egregious trolling. FSU is in UF's rear view mirror. Always has been, and likely always will be. USNWR doesn't dictate this fact. Your time would be better spent in an English class.

underwear

Postby underwear » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:51 am

Nucky wrote:
OhScalia wrote:It's going to be hard for you UF to catch up in employment unless the school is ready to cut the size of its class. In 2013, FSU had 237 law graduates; UF 354. In this tough economy, that's way too may students especially when one factors the curve, which necessarily will prevent some graduates from even getting interviews.

Such egregious trolling. FSU is in UF's rear view mirror. Always has been, and likely always will be. USNWR doesn't dictate this fact. Your time would be better spent in an English class.

OhScalia: you UF posts are usually flame, but you may have a point with the number of grads compared to FSU. Perhaps the better employment numbers @ FSU are partly due to the smaller class size.

Nucky: as much crap you get from the other FL-related threads, your posts actually give insight that an OOSer like me, wouldn't get.

I have more questions regarding UF/FSU, but I wont thread-crap it in here.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:39 am

OhScalia wrote:

In 2012 there was a 10% gap between FSU and UF and now that gap is 3%. FSU has the advantage in employment because 1/3 of their grads go into public service vs only 15% from UF.

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Nucky wrote:
OhScalia wrote:

Obviously, your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. I am not arguing that FSU is a superior law school to UF; what I am arguing is UF class size is too large, making it harder for its employment numbers (percentage wise) to catch up with those of FSU. Unless you are math challenged, this should not be an earth-shaterring observation.
Last edited by OhScalia on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:29 pm

OhScalia wrote:
Nucky wrote:
OhScalia wrote:

Obviously, your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. I am not arguing that FSU is a superior law school to UF; what I am arguing is UF class size is too large, making it harder for its employment numbers (percentage wise) to catch up with those of FSU. Unless you are math challenge, this should not be an earth-shaterring observation.

:)

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:31 pm

underwear wrote:Nucky: as much crap you get from the other FL-related threads, your posts actually give insight that an OOSer like me, wouldn't get.

I have more questions regarding UF/FSU, but I wont thread-crap it in here.

Happy to help, sir/mam. Feel free to shoot with the questions. I think most of us are happy to discuss it. You can also PM me if you're more comfortable doing that.

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:33 pm

OhScalia wrote:
Nucky wrote:
OhScalia wrote:

Obviously, your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. I am not arguing that FSU is a superior law school to UF; what I am arguing is UF class size is too large, making it harder for its employment numbers (percentage wise) to catch up with those of FSU. Unless you are math challenge, this should not be an earth-shaterring observation.

16 students from FSU got large firm jobs vs 38 students from UF thats pretty simple stats

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Nucky, you will make a great secretary for TLS.

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:53 pm

[/quote]Obviously, your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. I am not arguing that FSU is a superior law school to UF; what I am arguing is UF class size is too large, making it harder for its employment numbers (percentage wise) to catch up with those of FSU. Unless you are math challenge, this should not be an earth-shaterring observation.[/quote]

16 students from FSU got large firm jobs vs 38 students from UF thats pretty simple stats[/quote]

These numbers do not mean anything in a vacuum. Percentage is better! Basically, only 10% of FSU students will land job that can pay the massive loans they will most likely incurred; For UF, the percentage is 15%. If UF had a smaller class size, it would likely do much better!

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:54 pm

Did anyone else feel a little disappointed in ASD today? I didn't get the same collaborate atmosphere as at FSU, and the "we're the best" attitude got a little old. I just think they would recruit more students if they didn't come off so pompous. Also wishing they would have set up tables for student organizations that we could have visited.

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:09 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:Did anyone else feel a little disappointed in ASD today? I dikdn't get the same collaborate atmosphere as at FSU, and the "we're the best" attitude got a little old. I just think they would recruit more students if they didn't come off so pompous. Also wishing they would have set up tables for student organizations that we could have visited.

I liked that the students got to ask questions

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:13 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:Did anyone else feel a little disappointed in ASD today? I didn't get the same collaborate atmosphere as at FSU, and the "we're the best" attitude got a little old. I just think they would recruit more students if they didn't come off so pompous. Also wishing they would have set up tables for student organizations that we could have visited.

I really enjoyed ASD. The panels dragged on a bit at times, but I thought they were very informative. The campus is much nicer than it comes across in their brochures or online photos. I didn't really notice or hear any pompous "we're the best" type stuff. Maybe you sat it on different panels than I did. There certainly was confidence in the message they were sending but to me, "were the best" is preferable to, "we suck but please come here," or, "were not bad." Hah.

I was also glad to hear they're in the process of adding a corporate law/transaction clinic. Hopefully they get that up and running quickly.

EDIT: As to the pompous comment, I have to say that I went in today expecting much more of it than I experienced. Everyone I met was very nice, helpful, and seemingly a good person. I guess I interpreted the attitude as confident. But that kind of stuff motivates me, so I suppose it's all in the eye(or ear) of the beholder.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:20 pm

it is THE university of florida. the state flagship. as far as florida goes, i dont know why you'd want to be anywhere else. fsu can suck it

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:23 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:Did anyone else feel a little disappointed in ASD today? I didn't get the same collaborate atmosphere as at FSU, and the "we're the best" attitude got a little old. I just think they would recruit more students if they didn't come off so pompous. Also wishing they would have set up tables for student organizations that we could have visited.

I agree with you to some extent. Most of the students I spoke with individually were nice and very informative, but that one girl in the student panel was so pompous I could barely handle it. Also, I got really tired of hearing about the Gator Nation. Sure, I understand that it is a huge selling point, but is that literally all their school is about?

Also, can I just say that 1) what was with that tour? My tour didn't go into the actual library, the bookstore, or any classrooms and 2) most students I spoke with seemed content with "riding the B train" (literal words from a 2L). It seems that a lot of their current students aren't as focused on academically proving themselves as much as simply saying that they are part of the Gator Nation.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but there were good things that I liked as well. That court room was gorgeous and Gainesville was very cute.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:41 pm

thevuch wrote:it is THE university of florida. the state flagship. as far as florida goes, i dont know why you'd want to be anywhere else. fsu can suck it

+1 :)

usaacs

Postby usaacs » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:18 am

cricketlove00 wrote:

I agree with you to some extent. Most of the students I spoke with individually were nice and very informative, but that one girl in the student panel was so pompous I could barely handle it. Also, I got really tired of hearing about the Gator Nation. Sure, I understand that it is a huge selling point, but is that literally all their school is about?

Also, can I just say that 1) what was with that tour? My tour didn't go into the actual library, the bookstore, or any classrooms and 2) most students I spoke with seemed content with "riding the B train" (literal words from a 2L). It seems that a lot of their current students aren't as focused on academically proving themselves as much as simply saying that they are part of the Gator Nation.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but there were good things that I liked as well. That court room was gorgeous and Gainesville was very cute.

I'm a 1L. I'm sure every school you go to will have students who are content with riding the curve. However, I'm not sure why you would be complaining about that. The more students you have class with who are content with mediocre grades, the easier the curve will be for you (at least in theory). That being said, a lot (most?) of my classmates take their studies very seriously.

I'm also not really sure what you mean when you ask if UF is only about the Gator Nation. That just basically means that UF has a large alumni base. Our school is "about" studying the law just like any other school. Feel free to ask questions if you like. I'll try and check back when I have some free time.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”