UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby nebula666 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:50 pm

racqueld wrote:
nebula666 wrote:
racqueld wrote:Here's another question, do either of you know how well the IP Program at UF ranks? It's all I'm really looking into so I'm hoping there is some insight.


Specialty rankings don't really matter. I know a few people who are focused on IP at UF and they are all taking the IP certificate.

As far as I know, UF offers: Copyright, Trademark, Patent, Trade Secret, Int. IP Law, and IP Litigation. There are also two seminars, Patent Drafting & Prosecution I and II.
The last thing is the Journal of Technology Law and Policy, but that may or may not be related to your interests depending on what type of IP you want to do.



Thaaaaaaaaaaaaank you. It's nice to know the details of things before deciding. Then again I'm on my 2 month mark of 'Comparative Review' so I'm not really deciding anything yet.


No problem. Here's a link to the course schedule if anyone else is interested in what classes are offered.

http://www.law.ufl.edu/student-affairs/ ... -schedules

nmm10e
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby nmm10e » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:29 am

my current status date changed to 4/3/14 .. but still in CR :(

underwear
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby underwear » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:40 am

Are WL/rejections given only by email? Likewise, acceptances only by snail-mail?

(EDIT) It looks like rejections were thru email an WL is by snail-mail. If you're wait-listed, does it notify you of that status on their online-tracker? Or must you wait for the WL letter to arrive in the mail?

nmm10e wrote:my current status date changed to 4/3/14 .. but still in CR :(

any word on FSU? I'll be rooting for you!

nmm10e
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby nmm10e » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:39 pm

underwear wrote:Are WL/rejections given only by email? Likewise, acceptances only by snail-mail?

(EDIT) It looks like rejections were thru email an WL is by snail-mail. If you're wait-listed, does it notify you of that status on their online-tracker? Or must you wait for the WL letter to arrive in the mail?

nmm10e wrote:my current status date changed to 4/3/14 .. but still in CR :(

any word on FSU? I'll be rooting for you!



No word on FSU -- still on Hold, but hoping for the best b/c it is my number one! Thank you for the support :)

User avatar
thevuch
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby thevuch » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:46 pm

went to admission offer mailed on status checker. im guessing im in?

rdelaney
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 12:28 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby rdelaney » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:51 pm

thevuch wrote:went to admission offer mailed on status checker. im guessing im in?

With your numbers, absolutely. Although, most of the statuses have said decision mailed...if it says "admission offer," I'd assume it means you were accepted. I don't know why it would be a WL.

underwear
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby underwear » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:12 pm

rdelaney wrote:
thevuch wrote:went to admission offer mailed on status checker. im guessing im in?

With your numbers, absolutely. Although, most of the statuses have said decision mailed...if it says "admission offer," I'd assume it means you were accepted. I don't know why it would be a WL.

"Decision mailed" precedes "Admission Offered"... For about 30 minutes anyways. Don't ask me why.

nmm10e
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby nmm10e » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:26 pm

mine says admission offered! does this mean what I think it means??

rdelaney
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 12:28 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby rdelaney » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:27 pm

underwear wrote:
rdelaney wrote:
thevuch wrote:went to admission offer mailed on status checker. im guessing im in?

With your numbers, absolutely. Although, most of the statuses have said decision mailed...if it says "admission offer," I'd assume it means you were accepted. I don't know why it would be a WL.

"Decision mailed" precedes "Admission Offered"... For about 30 minutes anyways. Don't ask me why.

Oh, mine never switched! It has changed now, since I received the letter though I haven't been on there.

w7ldcard
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby w7ldcard » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:23 am

On my flight to Gainesville. With my choice between ASU and UF its going to be a tough one.

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby nebula666 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:17 am

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/florida/2013/

New scores out for UF. Percentage in full time JD required jobs went up 10% and we're now only 3% behind FSU.

w7ldcard
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby w7ldcard » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:39 am

nebula666 wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/florida/2013/

New scores out for UF. Percentage in full time JD required jobs went up 10% and we're now only 3% behind FSU.


Thanks for the info! Hmm I wonder why the underemployed is so high still

User avatar
toshiroh
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby toshiroh » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:34 am

Sigh, I thought I was pretty much done thinking about UF after I got into three of my T-14 choices and one T-20. But then I think about all the debt at the other schools and wonder if it's worth it. + I have to make a decision by 4/15/2014 since I received a scholarship instead of the usual may timeline :?

pat4redick
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby pat4redick » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:07 am

toshiroh wrote:Sigh, I thought I was pretty much done thinking about UF after I got into three of my T-14 choices and one T-20. But then I think about all the debt at the other schools and wonder if it's worth it. + I have to make a decision by 4/15/2014 since I received a scholarship instead of the usual may timeline :?


If you don't mind my asking, any idea where and what you wanna practice? And how big is the gap in total cost of attendance?

User avatar
cricketlove00
Posts: 1190
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby cricketlove00 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:09 am

toshiroh wrote:Sigh, I thought I was pretty much done thinking about UF after I got into three of my T-14 choices and one T-20. But then I think about all the debt at the other schools and wonder if it's worth it. + I have to make a decision by 4/15/2014 since I received a scholarship instead of the usual may timeline :?


How important is prestige for you? Is it more important for you to be debt-averse or to have gone to a T-14 and have a better chance at Biglaw?

User avatar
toshiroh
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby toshiroh » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

pat4redick wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Sigh, I thought I was pretty much done thinking about UF after I got into three of my T-14 choices and one T-20. But then I think about all the debt at the other schools and wonder if it's worth it. + I have to make a decision by 4/15/2014 since I received a scholarship instead of the usual may timeline :?


If you don't mind my asking, any idea where and what you wanna practice? And how big is the gap in total cost of attendance?


I've always wanted to practice in NYC/LA, but honestly wouldn't mind Miami. If I went to UF, I would hardly be taking out any Loans, besides like $1000 for books. I have family to stay with. If I take any of the other choices I'd be going at least 150-200k in debt.

User avatar
toshiroh
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby toshiroh » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:52 am

cricketlove00 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Sigh, I thought I was pretty much done thinking about UF after I got into three of my T-14 choices and one T-20. But then I think about all the debt at the other schools and wonder if it's worth it. + I have to make a decision by 4/15/2014 since I received a scholarship instead of the usual may timeline :?


How important is prestige for you? Is it more important for you to be debt-averse or to have gone to a T-14 and have a better chance at Biglaw?


Im debt adverse, but also don't know if I would be completely shut out of Miami Big law going to UF? I haven't found any info on Miami Big law.

nmm10e
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby nmm10e » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:53 am

I did the "seat deposit trick" and it let me pay! Also- I received my UF e-mail! I still can't believe it's real ...... I just want the packet !!!

User avatar
thevuch
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby thevuch » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:57 pm

has anyone tried to negotiate scholarships with them

pat4redick
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby pat4redick » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:00 pm

toshiroh wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Sigh, I thought I was pretty much done thinking about UF after I got into three of my T-14 choices and one T-20. But then I think about all the debt at the other schools and wonder if it's worth it. + I have to make a decision by 4/15/2014 since I received a scholarship instead of the usual may timeline :?


How important is prestige for you? Is it more important for you to be debt-averse or to have gone to a T-14 and have a better chance at Biglaw?


Im debt adverse, but also don't know if I would be completely shut out of Miami Big law going to UF? I haven't found any info on Miami Big law.


If you have the grades, albeit high grades (top 10%), you won't be shut out of Miami Big law. But it goes without saying that you don't need as high class rank at a T14.

Miami Big law is not that big but most come to interview (and fill some summer slots) from UF.

OhScalia
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby OhScalia » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:02 pm

toshiroh wrote:
pat4redick wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Sigh, I thought I was pretty much done thinking about UF after I got into three of my T-14 choices and one T-20. But then I think about all the debt at the other schools and wonder if it's worth it. + I have to make a decision by 4/15/2014 since I received a scholarship instead of the usual may timeline :?


If you don't mind my asking, any idea where and what you wanna practice? And how big is the gap in total cost of attendance?


I've always wanted to practice in NYC/LA, but honestly wouldn't mind Miami. If I went to UF, I would hardly be taking out any Loans, besides like $1000 for books. I have family to stay with. If I take any of the other choices I'd be going at least 150-200k in debt.


Are you sure you can be in the top 10% of the class after 1L year at UF?

rdelaney
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 12:28 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby rdelaney » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:15 pm

thevuch wrote:has anyone tried to negotiate scholarships with them

I sent an email trying to get more money. I don't have a comparable scholarship though. The Dean said that most students accept the scholarships on April 15th, any extra money is put back into a pot where new students are given a shot at it. She said most of the money goes to new students and very little is given to students who already have an offer.

User avatar
Nucky
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby Nucky » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:17 pm

OhScalia wrote:
toshiroh wrote:
pat4redick wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Sigh, I thought I was pretty much done thinking about UF after I got into three of my T-14 choices and one T-20. But then I think about all the debt at the other schools and wonder if it's worth it. + I have to make a decision by 4/15/2014 since I received a scholarship instead of the usual may timeline :?


If you don't mind my asking, any idea where and what you wanna practice? And how big is the gap in total cost of attendance?


I've always wanted to practice in NYC/LA, but honestly wouldn't mind Miami. If I went to UF, I would hardly be taking out any Loans, besides like $1000 for books. I have family to stay with. If I take any of the other choices I'd be going at least 150-200k in debt.


Are you sure you can be in the top 10% of the class after 1L year at UF?


Is this a serious question?

User avatar
toshiroh
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby toshiroh » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:24 pm

OhScalia wrote:
toshiroh wrote:
pat4redick wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Sigh, I thought I was pretty much done thinking about UF after I got into three of my T-14 choices and one T-20. But then I think about all the debt at the other schools and wonder if it's worth it. + I have to make a decision by 4/15/2014 since I received a scholarship instead of the usual may timeline :?


If you don't mind my asking, any idea where and what you wanna practice? And how big is the gap in total cost of attendance?


I've always wanted to practice in NYC/LA, but honestly wouldn't mind Miami. If I went to UF, I would hardly be taking out any Loans, besides like $1000 for books. I have family to stay with. If I take any of the other choices I'd be going at least 150-200k in debt.


Are you sure you can be in the top 10% of the class after 1L year at UF?


nothing is sure with Law School. You can work as hard as you possibly can and still end up below 10%.

acc123
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby acc123 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:17 pm

thevuch wrote:has anyone tried to negotiate scholarships with them


Yes, but my LSAT is 166.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”