UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nucky

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby Nucky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:42 pm

rdelaney wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I have to disagree. The Downtown area has a wealth of non-chain restaurants that are pretty delicious. The springs are just opening up, so if that's your thing, definitely check it out. Devil's Millhopper, a rock climbing gym, Payne's Prairie, Kanapaha Gardens, Swamp Head brewery... There is a LOT to do here.

I forgot about all of those things. After living here for the past four years...the town seems to get mundane. I don't think I've ever even visited the Gardens. :/ But the springs are great and the trails are great for weekend treks.

Nucky wrote:Let's do it! If you know the area, pick a place. Meet at 7:30? Everyone else, feel free to join.

Well, the Top is a great place for dinner/drinks, if that is what everyone wants to do. Otherwise, there are probably better places to go for just drinks. But the Top is like priced $8-12, not too bad. Check it out online (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-top-gainesville).

Looks perfect. I see it is in the area where all the bars are. :D

So, The Top at 7:30 on Thursday, April 10th then. I'll PM you my number so we can meet.

Vuch, and everyone else, feel free to join. The more the merrier.

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:50 pm

Nucky wrote:
racqueld wrote:
OhScalia wrote:For those of you who are still waitlisted, I was in a similar position four years ago. My LSAT was below UF's 25th percentile and my GPA was not much better. By March, I withdrew from the waitlist and decided to study hard for a re-take. I studied my butt off for 3 months and my LSAT score jumped above their 75th percentile. When I reapplied, I was confident I was going to get in at UF, which I did. I love UF and graduated from there as an undergrad, but I end up declining their acceptance and attended a T-20. So don't despair if you did not get in. If you are certain you want to go to Law School, there is only one choice: Re-take. DO NOT FALL FOR THE FLORIDA COASTAL TRAP, where your chance of getting a job after graduation will be nonexistent. Instead, study hard and you will be happy with the choices you will have next cycle. I was accepted by more than 10 schools including all the top law schools in Florida.

I have to ask about Florida Coastal in the regard to a trap. About 50% of the attorneys I meet through my connections (work and sorority) have family that graduated from there and found jobs right away. Mixed signals are really mixed up here in Jax.

The job market when they graduated =\= the job market now.

Florida Coastal pumped out 562 graduates last year(which is INSANE), only 30% of which found full-time, long-term jobs as attorneys. Only 1.6% were decent attorney jobs. The rest were bottom of the barrel shitlaw positions.
https://www.fcsl.edu/sites/fcsl.edu/fil ... 202013.pdf

Also, some students are walking away with as much as $246k in debt, or in other words, are absolutely, and completely, destroyed financially for the rest of their lives.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... osts/2012/

Florida Coastal is one of the worst law schools in the country. Because of the wildly irresponsible number of graduates they crank out every year, the horrendous job prospects, and the absurd amount of debt unsuspecting students go into to attend this hell-hole.

If I were their dean, or a member of their faculty there is no way I could sleep at night. These people are monsters. Stay away at all costs.

THIS. DO NOT GO TO FL COASTAL AT ANY COST, or NONE AT ALL. Still a terrible choice. Suffice to repeat that the current job market is not your father's job market. It's currently way worse.

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:01 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
OhScalia wrote:For those of you who are still waitlisted, I was in a similar position four years ago. My LSAT was below UF's 25th percentile and my GPA was not much better. By March, I withdrew from the waitlist and decided to study hard for a re-take. I studied my butt off for 3 months and my LSAT score jumped above their 75th percentile. When I reapplied, I was confident I was going to get in at UF, which I did. I love UF and graduated from there as an undergrad, but I end up declining their acceptance and attended a T-20. So don't despair if you did not get in. If you are certain you want to go to Law School, there is only one choice: Re-take. DO NOT FALL FOR THE FLORIDA COASTAL TRAP, where your chance of getting a job after graduation will be nonexistent. Instead, study hard and you will be happy with the choices you will have next cycle. I was accepted by more than 10 schools including all the top law schools in Florida.

I got into a really nice top 30 school and I keep going back and forth on whether or not UF is truly worth it, or I should go to a school that I like more, but costs more. Do you mind if I ask why you didn't go to UF?

For two three reasons. First, I was upset UF did not accept me the first time given that I had done pretty well as an undergrad. Even though I understood USNEWS ranking is putting a lot of pressure on schools, so UF could not accept me with my terrible LSAT score, I thought UF would put more weight on my GPA, especially given that I had done very well in some tough classes as undergrad. In any event, this reason was not a good one. Just a grudge, which allowed me to feel good when I declined acceptance.

Second, T-20 was pretty enticing since I got some money and I am a prestige whore. Finally, given that I had a lot of choices I wanted to get away from all those friends I had in Gainesville to allow me to focus better in law school, instead of being pressured to party too much.

Things to consider with your T-30 acceptance: Where do you want to work? FL or somewhere else. How extensive is a school alumni network? This is very important in this current economy. Finally, will you regret not going to a T-30 if you end up below median at UF?

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:31 pm

OhScalia wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:

I got into a really nice top 30 school and I keep going back and forth on whether or not UF is truly worth it, or I should go to a school that I like more, but costs more. Do you mind if I ask why you didn't go to UF?

For two three reasons. First, I was upset UF did not accept me the first time given that I had done pretty well as an undergrad. Even though I understood USNEWS ranking is putting a lot of pressure on schools, so UF could not accept me with my terrible LSAT score, I thought UF would put more weight on my GPA, especially given that I had done very well in some tough classes as undergrad. In any event, this reason was not a good one. Just a grudge, which allowed me to feel good when I declined acceptance.

Second, T-20 was pretty enticing since I got some money and I am a prestige whore. Finally, given that I had a lot of choices I wanted to get away from all those friends I had in Gainesville to allow me to focus better in law school, instead of being pressured to party too much.

Things to consider with your T-30 acceptance: Where do you want to work? FL or somewhere else. How extensive is a school alumni network? This is very important in this current economy. Finally, will you regret not going to a T-30 if you end up below median at UF?

I think cricket's mystery t-30 is Emory. I've seen him "hopping" around in that thread. :lol: Maybe you're excited to get to FL and be part of the awesome culture and campus UF offers, I know I am.

That being said, all things equal, go Emory. Won't be as fun as UF but Emory is Emory. Unless you know you want to work in FL, in which case I don't think Emory can open any FL doors that UF can't.

racqueld

Postby racqueld » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:33 pm

nmm10e wrote:

I liked this advice :)

Here's another question, do either of you know how well the IP Program at UF ranks? It's all I'm really looking into so I'm hoping there is some insight.

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:37 pm

Nucky wrote:
OhScalia wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:

I think cricket's mystery t-30 is Emory. I've seen him "hopping" around in that thread. :lol: Maybe you're excited to get to FL and be part of the awesome culture and campus UF offers, I know I am.

That being said, all things equal, go Emory. Won't be as fun as UF but Emory is Emory. Unless you know you want to work in FL, in which case I don't think Emory can open any FL doors that UF can't.

UF is a great school and has a dedicated alumni network. Having said that, have you applied to FSU, cricket? UF is known for being stingy with merit aid and usually requires that you maintain a 3.3 GPA. By contrast, FSU can be generous with aid and career prospect is essentially the same with UF ( UF has a better alumni network though). As for Emory, it will help greatly with ATL and surrounding states. With UF, you are restricted to FL unless you are top 10 not top 10%.

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:39 pm

racqueld wrote:
nmm10e wrote:

Here's another question, do either of you know how well the IP Program at UF ranks? It's all I'm really looking into so I'm hoping there is some insight.

The only ranking that matters is USNEWS. As long as UF has IP classes, that's all you need to worry about.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:39 pm

racqueld wrote:
nmm10e wrote:

The rule of thumb for FL is FSU for government/public work and UF for private/firm work.

IP, legal writing, trial advocacy, etc. rankings mean next to nothing.

racqueld

Postby racqueld » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:41 pm

Nucky wrote:
racqueld wrote:
nmm10e wrote:

The rule of thumb for FL is FSU for government/public work and UF for private/firm work.

IP, legal writing, trial advocacy, etc. rankings mean next to nothing.

I didn't waste my time worrying too much with FSU since I don't want to live in tallanasty (personal opinion). But if UF is good for private industry then that's all I'm looking for since it'd be a waste of a perfectly good engineering degree to do anything differently. Thanks!

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:41 pm

Nucky wrote:
OhScalia wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:

Wrong! I was WL there. :( Keep guessing! :)

Regardless, I live in Florida and have my whole life. Maybe I'm fighting staying, because I really want to leave. UF is definitely my cheaper, safer choice. Where do I want to work? Not specific to any area right now. I don't hate Florida, but I'm definitely open to other areas. I hope I won't end up below the median -- that freaked me out just know. And yes, I probably would regret it.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:57 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:Wrong! I was WL there. :( Keep guessing! :)

Regardless, I live in Florida and have my whole life. Maybe I'm fighting staying, because I really want to leave. UF is definitely my cheaper, safer choice. Where do I want to work? Not specific to any area right now. I don't hate Florida, but I'm definitely open to other areas. I hope I won't end up below the median -- that freaked me out just know. And yes, I probably would regret it.

Bummer. If it makes you feel any better, I was WL'ed as well. I thought you said t30 to throw us off Emory's t20 scent. :lol: . Well, wherever it is, looks like you have a tough choice to make. But merit UF scholarship plus in-state is a nice deal. Plus, thanks to UF's large class size, you have about 150 chances to be above median. Ha.

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:03 pm

Nucky wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:Wrong! I was WL there. :( Keep guessing! :)

Bummer. If it makes you feel any better, I was WL'ed as well. I thought you said t30 to throw us off Emory's t20 scent. :lol: . Well, wherever it is, looks like you have a tough choice to make. But merit UF scholarship plus in-state is a nice deal. Plus, thanks to UF's large class size, you have about 150 chances to be above median. Ha.

Haha nice one liner. Though due to UF's large class size, being at median may no longer be the safe harbor it should have been.

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:26 pm

Is that the stip on the merit scholarships? My email just said good academic standing. My letter probably won't arrive till next week. A 3.3 is pretty high at UF, isn't that the median GPA?

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:28 pm

rdelaney wrote:Is that the stip on the merit scholarships? My email just said good academic standing. My letter probably won't arrive till next week. A 3.3 is pretty high at UF, isn't that the median GPA?

My stip was good academic standing as well. Not sure what the gpa requirement is for good academic standing but it can't be THAT high.

pat4redick

Postby pat4redick » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:36 pm

OhScalia wrote:UF is a great school and has a dedicated alumni network. Having said that, have you applied to FSU, cricket? UF is known for being stingy with merit aid and usually requires that you maintain a 3.3 GPA. By contrast, FSU can be generous with aid and career prospect is essentially the same with UF ( UF has a better alumni network though). As for Emory, it will help greatly with ATL and surrounding states. With UF, you are restricted to FL unless you are top 10 not top 10%.

Not true from my experience in this year's and last year's OCI class. 10% easily gets interviews at all the ATL firms. I know a few, including some outside the top 10%, that got solid ATL employment lined up for the summer.

Edit: That being said, if you go to UF you'll likely end up in Florida.

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:16 pm

pat4redick wrote:
OhScalia wrote:UF is a great school and has a dedicated alumni network. Having said that, have you applied to FSU, cricket? UF is known for being stingy with merit aid and usually requires that you maintain a 3.3 GPA. By contrast, FSU can be generous with aid and career prospect is essentially the same with UF ( UF has a better alumni network though). As for Emory, it will help greatly with ATL and surrounding states. With UF, you are restricted to FL unless you are top 10 not top 10%.

Not true from my experience in this year's and last year's OCI class. 10% easily gets interviews at all the ATL firms. I know a few, including some outside the top 10%, that got solid ATL employment lined up for the summer.

When UF offered me merit aid in 2011, there was a requirement of at least 3.0. I can't remember what it was. My mistake if that's not 3.3. As for getting interviews, that's one thing; Getting a job is another. And I am speaking generally, not specifically. Sometimes, students will do better than what the general view would suggest.

foundingfather

Postby foundingfather » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:24 pm

"Good academic standing" is 2.0 I believe.

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:28 pm

This all great information. Has anyone used an FSU scholarship to negotiate a higher scholarship with UF?? Just curious as I am trying to get $$$ out of FSU to re-negotiate with UF before the April 15th deadline.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:52 pm

racqueld wrote:Here's another question, do either of you know how well the IP Program at UF ranks? It's all I'm really looking into so I'm hoping there is some insight.

Specialty rankings don't really matter. I know a few people who are focused on IP at UF and they are all taking the IP certificate.

As far as I know, UF offers: Copyright, Trademark, Patent, Trade Secret, Int. IP Law, and IP Litigation. There are also two seminars, Patent Drafting & Prosecution I and II.
The last thing is the Journal of Technology Law and Policy, but that may or may not be related to your interests depending on what type of IP you want to do.

pat4redick

Postby pat4redick » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:23 pm

OhScalia wrote:
pat4redick wrote:

When UF offered me merit aid in 2011, there was a requirement of at least 3.0. I can't remember what it was. My mistake if that's not 3.3. As for getting interviews, that's one thing; Getting a job is another. And I am speaking generally, not specifically. Sometimes, students will do better than what the general view would suggest.

I agree and understand my view is purely anecdotal. But we do get a fair number of southern firms (Georgia, Alabama) that come a snag a few students every year. That's all I meant.

racqueld

Postby racqueld » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:54 pm

nebula666 wrote:
racqueld wrote:Here's another question, do either of you know how well the IP Program at UF ranks? It's all I'm really looking into so I'm hoping there is some insight.

Specialty rankings don't really matter. I know a few people who are focused on IP at UF and they are all taking the IP certificate.

As far as I know, UF offers: Copyright, Trademark, Patent, Trade Secret, Int. IP Law, and IP Litigation. There are also two seminars, Patent Drafting & Prosecution I and II.
The last thing is the Journal of Technology Law and Policy, but that may or may not be related to your interests depending on what type of IP you want to do.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaank you. It's nice to know the details of things before deciding. Then again I'm on my 2 month mark of 'Comparative Review' so I'm not really deciding anything yet.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:07 am

3/30 all application documents received
4/2 initial review
4/3 comparative review

how long have yall sat in comparative review? is this purgatory?

racqueld

Postby racqueld » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:28 am

thevuch wrote:3/30 all application documents received
4/2 initial review
4/3 comparative review

2 months (almost). Since 2/6. I hope you aren't in this living nightmare as long as I've been.

applyinglate

Postby applyinglate » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:26 am

Personally, I applied on the very last day, and was admitted w/ a very nice scholarship on the week after.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:36 am

thevuch wrote:3/30 all application documents received
4/2 initial review
4/3 comparative review

Considering your numbers and how far into the cycle we are, I think you'll have a quick turnaround.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”