UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thevuch

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby thevuch » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:20 pm

Nucky wrote:
thevuch wrote:i applied via lsac 3/13 and had my extra florida forms via their website by 3/15. im 165/3.3 out of state. went "all app documents received" on 3/30 and today 4/2 im at 'under initial review by committee'

is 'comparative review' next?

Typically yes, but since it is so late in the cycle you may jump ahead. I think all bets are off at this point.

Good luck.

thank you sir. i hope youre correct. i got that super splitter thing going on.

best wishes to you as well!

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:23 pm

thevuch wrote:
Nucky wrote:
thevuch wrote:i applied via lsac 3/13 and had my extra florida forms via their website by 3/15. im 165/3.3 out of state. went "all app documents received" on 3/30 and today 4/2 im at 'under initial review by committee'

is 'comparative review' next?

Typically yes, but since it is so late in the cycle you may jump ahead. I think all bets are off at this point.

Good luck.

thank you sir. i hope youre correct. i got that super splitter thing going on.

best wishes to you as well!

I don't think you're a super splitter. You'll be fine. We have comparable LSATs and my GPA is lower -- I got in with a nice scholarship.

Good luck!

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:28 pm

thats good news. hopefully ill receive similar treatment. if they do so ill definitely have to give it a serious look.

i thought super splitter was above 75th LSAT and below 25th GPA where a splitter was above lsat median and below median lsat

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:51 pm

thevuch wrote:thats good news. hopefully ill receive similar treatment. if they do so ill definitely have to give it a serious look.

i thought super splitter was above 75th LSAT and below 25th GPA where a splitter was above lsat median and below median lsat

Maybe it is. I've always seen it as a term that is open to interpretation.

Generally, I consider a super splitter to be someone with a 2.5/172, or something along those lines. If you're a super splitter what would that make them? Lol.

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:20 pm

thevuch wrote:thats good news. hopefully ill receive similar treatment. if they do so ill definitely have to give it a serious look.

Yeah, I'm surprised you haven't heard back. You definitely should be in. I had a lower GPA and LSAT and got in with $$. Good luck!

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:32 pm

Going to be attending the ASD from April 10th to the 15th to check out Gainesville. I am traveling from California so any suggestions of what to see or do on the campus or in the City is greatly appreciated.

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:50 pm

w7ldcard wrote:Going to be attending the ASD from April 10th to the 15th to check out Gainesville. I am traveling from California so any suggestions of what to see or do on the campus or in the City is greatly appreciated.

There isn't a whole lot to do in Gainesville. But make sure to check out the main campus, lots of interesting things go on there throughout the week. If you go out, check out midtown/downtown. Lots of bars/clubs there. I'd recommend to just drive around and explore the city and get a feel for it. Sadly, Gainesville residents seem to enjoy chain restaurants so not a lot of local food to explore. If you have any other questions, let me know.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:57 pm

w7ldcard wrote:Going to be attending the ASD from April 10th to the 15th to check out Gainesville. I am traveling from California so any suggestions of what to see or do on the campus or in the City is greatly appreciated.

The Top is wonderful.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:59 pm

If anyone wants to grab dinner/drinks on Thursday or Friday night let me know. I'll be there from the 10th to the 13th.

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:09 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:

The Top is wonderful.

+1

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:02 pm

rdelaney wrote:

Yeah, I'm surprised you haven't heard back. You definitely should be in. I had a lower GPA and LSAT and got in with $$. Good luck!

didnt apply until 3/13!! but i hope to hear soon would love to be able to goto the ASD!!
Nucky wrote:If anyone wants to grab dinner/drinks on Thursday or Friday night let me know. I'll be there from the 10th to the 13th.

if i get in before then ill definitely be attending ASD and will be down

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:00 am

thevuch wrote:
rdelaney wrote:

didnt apply until 3/13!! but i hope to hear soon would love to be able to goto the ASD!!
Nucky wrote:If anyone wants to grab dinner/drinks on Thursday or Friday night let me know. I'll be there from the 10th to the 13th.

I applied on the 15th heard back on the 26th ... I would assume you would get an answer soon. I would definitely be down to grab a drink or two during those dates

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:04 am

w7ldcard wrote:
thevuch wrote:
rdelaney wrote:

I applied on the 15th heard back on the 26th ... I would assume you would get an answer soon. I would definitely be down to grab a drink or two during those dates

Alright, cool. Anyone who knows the area, feel free to pick a spot. This will be my first time in Gainesville so I don't think I'm qualified.

Hopefully you're admitted in time to join, Vuch! Pulling for you.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:28 am

Nucky wrote:
w7ldcard wrote:
thevuch wrote:I applied on the 15th heard back on the 26th ... I would assume you would get an answer soon. I would definitely be down to grab a drink or two during those dates

Alright, cool. Anyone who knows the area, feel free to pick a spot. This will be my first time in Gainesville so I don't think I'm qualified.

Hopefully you're admitted in time to join, Vuch! Pulling for you.

thank you sir!! and wildcard what are your stats?

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:32 am

I'll be at the ASD, but won't be around later that night or before - will be seeing my parents in Tampa while I'm up there.

About ASD... did anyone think it was weird that we aren't going to be sitting in on a class?

OhScalia

Postby OhScalia » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:49 am

For those of you who are still waitlisted, I was in a similar position four years ago. My LSAT was below UF's 25th percentile and my GPA was not much better. By March, I withdrew from the waitlist and decided to study hard for a re-take. I studied my butt off for 3 months and my LSAT score jumped above their 75th percentile. When I reapplied, I was confident I was going to get in at UF, which I did. I love UF and graduated from there as an undergrad, but I end up declining their acceptance and attended a T-20. So don't despair if you did not get in. If you are certain you want to go to Law School, there is only one choice: Re-take. DO NOT FALL FOR THE FLORIDA COASTAL TRAP, where your chance of getting a job after graduation will be nonexistent. Instead, study hard and you will be happy with the choices you will have next cycle. I was accepted by more than 10 schools including all the top law schools in Florida.
Last edited by OhScalia on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:40 am

OhScalia wrote:For those of you who are still waitlisted, I was in a similar position four years ago. My LSAT was below UF's 25th percentile and my GPA was not much better. By March, I withdrew from the waitlist and decided to study hard for a re-take. I studied my butt off for 3 months and my LSAT score jumped above their 75th percentile. When I reapplied, I was confident I was going to get in at UF, which I did. I love UF and graduated from there as an undergrad, but I end up declining their acceptance and attended a T-20. So don't despair if you did not get in. If you are certain you want to go to Law School, there is only one choice: Re-take. DO NOT FALL FOR THE FLORIDA COASTAL TRAP, where your chance of getting a job after graduation will be nonexistent. Instead, study hard and you will be happy with the choices you will have next cycle. I was accepted by more than 10 schools including all the top law schools in Florida.

I got into a really nice top 30 school and I keep going back and forth on whether or not UF is truly worth it, or I should go to a school that I like more, but costs more. Do you mind if I ask why you didn't go to UF?

racqueld

Postby racqueld » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:16 am

OhScalia wrote:For those of you who are still waitlisted, I was in a similar position four years ago. My LSAT was below UF's 25th percentile and my GPA was not much better. By March, I withdrew from the waitlist and decided to study hard for a re-take. I studied my butt off for 3 months and my LSAT score jumped above their 75th percentile. When I reapplied, I was confident I was going to get in at UF, which I did. I love UF and graduated from there as an undergrad, but I end up declining their acceptance and attended a T-20. So don't despair if you did not get in. If you are certain you want to go to Law School, there is only one choice: Re-take. DO NOT FALL FOR THE FLORIDA COASTAL TRAP, where your chance of getting a job after graduation will be nonexistent. Instead, study hard and you will be happy with the choices you will have next cycle. I was accepted by more than 10 schools including all the top law schools in Florida.

I have to ask about Florida Coastal in the regard to a trap. About 50% of the attorneys I meet through my connections (work and sorority) have family that graduated from there and found jobs right away. Mixed signals are really mixed up here in Jax.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:22 am

racqueld wrote:

I have to ask about Florida Coastal in the regard to a trap. About 50% of the attorneys I meet through my connections (work and sorority) have family that graduated from there and found jobs right away. Mixed signals are really mixed up here in Jax.

The job market when they graduated =\= the job market now.

Florida Coastal pumped out 562 graduates last year(which is INSANE), only 30% of which found full-time, long-term jobs as attorneys. Only 1.6% were decent attorney jobs. The rest were bottom of the barrel shitlaw positions.
https://www.fcsl.edu/sites/fcsl.edu/fil ... 202013.pdf

Also, some students are walking away with as much as $246k in debt, or in other words, are absolutely, and completely, destroyed financially for the rest of their lives.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... osts/2012/

Florida Coastal is one of the worst law schools in the country. Because of the wildly irresponsible number of graduates they crank out every year, the horrendous job prospects, and the absurd amount of debt unsuspecting students go into to attend this hell-hole.

If I were their dean, or a member of their faculty there is no way I could sleep at night. These people are monsters. Stay away at all costs.
Last edited by Nucky on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:42 am

racqueld wrote:

And how many have staggering debt and jobs that only pay $35,000-$40,000 grand per year?

Florida Coastal is indeed one, if not THE, worst law school in the country.

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:02 pm

I'll be around town then if everyone wants to meet up.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:25 pm

rdelaney wrote:

There isn't a whole lot to do in Gainesville. But make sure to check out the main campus, lots of interesting things go on there throughout the week. If you go out, check out midtown/downtown. Lots of bars/clubs there. I'd recommend to just drive around and explore the city and get a feel for it. Sadly, Gainesville residents seem to enjoy chain restaurants so not a lot of local food to explore. If you have any other questions, let me know.

I have to disagree. The Downtown area has a wealth of non-chain restaurants that are pretty delicious. The springs are just opening up, so if that's your thing, definitely check it out. Devil's Millhopper, a rock climbing gym, Payne's Prairie, Kanapaha Gardens, Swamp Head brewery... There is a LOT to do here.

nmm10e

Postby nmm10e » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:29 pm

I liked this advice :)

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:31 pm

rdelaney wrote:

I'll be around town then if everyone wants to meet up.

Let's do it! If you know the area, pick a place. Meet at 7:30? Everyone else, feel free to join.

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:38 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I have to disagree. The Downtown area has a wealth of non-chain restaurants that are pretty delicious. The springs are just opening up, so if that's your thing, definitely check it out. Devil's Millhopper, a rock climbing gym, Payne's Prairie, Kanapaha Gardens, Swamp Head brewery... There is a LOT to do here.

I forgot about all of those things. After living here for the past four years...the town seems to get mundane. I don't think I've ever even visited the Gardens. :/ But the springs are great and the trails are great for weekend treks.

Nucky wrote:Let's do it! If you know the area, pick a place. Meet at 7:30? Everyone else, feel free to join.

Well, the Top is a great place for dinner/drinks, if that is what everyone wants to do. Otherwise, there are probably better places to go for just drinks. But the Top is like priced $8-12, not too bad. Check it out online (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-top-gainesville).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”