UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rdelaney

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby rdelaney » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Well it is from this site...not the application checker.

https://lists.law.ufl.edu/SeatDeposit/origin

I went to UG at UF so I have a UFID. I just plugged in the info and it told me I could pay the seat deposit online to reserve my seat for the Fall 2014 class.

w7ldcard

Postby w7ldcard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:09 pm

rdelaney wrote:Well it is from this site...not the application checker.

https://lists.law.ufl.edu/SeatDeposit/origin

I went to UG at UF so I have a UFID. I just plugged in the info and it told me I could pay the seat deposit online to reserve my seat for the Fall 2014 class.

Oh interesting

as975266

Postby as975266 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:27 pm

Same status. How do they notify waitlisted applicants if rejection is through email?

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:46 pm

as975266 wrote:Same status. How do they notify waitlisted applicants if rejection is through email?

acceptance and waitlist are regular mail. only rejection is email.

jbk625

Postby jbk625 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:00 pm

Waiting for scholarship info too, but seeing as it's between here and FSU, I'll probably be at UF in the Fall.

I just went down to Gainesville this past weekend to look at apartments and was wondering if anyone knew where most of the law students live? From what I heard it was largely Cazabella, Point West, and Camelot (all of those along 34th Street, the west side of campus). Does anyone know where law students go out on the weekends? I'm looking at some places closer to University (closer to UG bars and the stadium) and on Archer (far away, but close-ish to the mall and much nicer apartments) as well, and all three of these areas seem to be about the same distance from the law school.

Also, anyone know anything about exams and laptops? I have one that's about 5 years old now and weighs about 7 pounds so I'm looking at some of the new ones. Would a Mac work? Do I even need one at all or can I just handwrite everything like I did in college?

Also, for those waiting, my status changed to Decision reached, noticed issued in my status checker on a Monday and the letter got to South Florida that Friday. I know some people further north got it on Thursday.

Thanks in advance and Go Gators!

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:24 pm

jbk625 wrote:Waiting for scholarship info too, but seeing as it's between here and FSU, I'll probably be at UF in the Fall.

I just went down to Gainesville this past weekend to look at apartments and was wondering if anyone knew where most of the law students live? From what I heard it was largely Cazabella, Point West, and Camelot (all of those along 34th Street, the west side of campus). Does anyone know where law students go out on the weekends? I'm looking at some places closer to University (closer to UG bars and the stadium) and on Archer (far away, but close-ish to the mall and much nicer apartments) as well, and all three of these areas seem to be about the same distance from the law school.

Also, anyone know anything about exams and laptops? I have one that's about 5 years old now and weighs about 7 pounds so I'm looking at some of the new ones. Would a Mac work? Do I even need one at all or can I just handwrite everything like I did in college?

Also, for those waiting, my status changed to Decision reached, noticed issued in my status checker on a Monday and the letter got to South Florida that Friday. I know some people further north got it on Thursday.

Damn, just looked at the price for Cazabella. Seems expensive for not including electric?? I looked at a few places a couple of weeks ago, most were cheaper but not quite as close to the law school. Just make sure you check apartmentratings.com before you put down a deposit.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:34 pm

jbk625 wrote:Waiting for scholarship info too, but seeing as it's between here and FSU, I'll probably be at UF in the Fall.

The cluster of apartments on 34th are where a good amount of students live. This includes Cazabella, Village 34, Camelot, Point West, and Hawaiian Village. You really can't go wrong in Gainesville as long as you avoid The Continuum. Some of the houses near the law school are really nice if you can find a few roommates. I know a few people who commute from more than 15 mins away but they are definitely the outliers. Most people live within walking or short driving distance.

You should definitely have a reliable laptop for exams and notetaking. I only know a couple people who handwrite their exams. A few more people handwrite notes in class but I don't see any reason to unless you are a slow typer or can't handle sitting in class for 50 minutes without checking Facebook. There are also a few professors who forbid laptops but I only had one or two so far.

pat4redick

Postby pat4redick » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Housing - A lot of people live the areas you mentioned, but others live a little further away near 34th and Archer. Personally, I never liked Cazabella, Point West, etc. I found you can find nicer placers a little further away. If you choose to live near the bars in the student ghetto, you'll get even less for your money and during the Fall (read: football season), that side of down is mayhem and hard to get anywhere.

Nightlife - Midtown bars most, and some downtown places.

Laptops - Highly recommended and Mac is perfectly fine. You can hand write notes (some people do) and exams (fewer do this).

glackinjp

Postby glackinjp » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:20 pm

Got my acceptance 2/5. Still waiting on scholarship information, anyone have any insights?

dobie1

Postby dobie1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:24 pm

What's the likelihood of finding a house with a large, fenced in backyard? I have a big dog (hence the username), and she needs a lot of space to run around. If anyone knows a good landlord, please pm me!

Still waiting on scholarship info though, so may not go to UF at all :?

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:35 pm

glackinjp wrote:Got my acceptance 2/5. Still waiting on scholarship information, anyone have any insights?

Unless you were accepted within the last week or so, if you haven't received scholarship info by now you likely won't receive any.

I have no idea why a school as large and "prestigious" as UF seems to have little to no scholarship money to offer students. Are they aware their employment rating is a wonderful 55%? Come on, Gators.

glackinjp

Postby glackinjp » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:26 pm

Nucky wrote:
glackinjp wrote:Got my acceptance 2/5. Still waiting on scholarship information, anyone have any insights?

Unless you were accepted within the last week or so, if you haven't received scholarship info by now you likely won't receive any.

I have no idea why a school as large and "prestigious" as UF seems to have little to no scholarship money to offer students. Are they aware their employment rating is a wonderful 55%? Come on, Gators.

Well that sucks to hear, I thought they were just taking a while like some of the other schools. I'm at their 75th for both LSAT and GPA. Would of much preferred some sort of scholarship over a hand written note.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:33 pm

dobie1 wrote:What's the likelihood of finding a house with a large, fenced in backyard? I have a big dog (hence the username), and she needs a lot of space to run around. If anyone knows a good landlord, please pm me!

I feel ya.

Honestly everyone around brags about how cheap UF is but in reality, at least for me, after receiving scholarships at other (and dare I say better) law schools, it is pretty much equal or cheaper to go to said institutions. I got scholarships at three other OOS schools that have better employment ratings. Those schools are either cheaper or comparable to UF's sticker price. Annoyed.

dobie1

Postby dobie1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:04 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
dobie1 wrote:What's the likelihood of finding a house with a large, fenced in backyard? I have a big dog (hence the username), and she needs a lot of space to run around. If anyone knows a good landlord, please pm me!

I feel ya.

Honestly everyone around brags about how cheap UF is but in reality, at least for me, after receiving scholarships at other (and dare I say better) law schools, it is pretty much equal or cheaper to go to said institutions. I got scholarships at three other OOS schools that have better employment ratings. Those schools are either cheaper or comparable to UF's sticker price. Annoyed.

+1

ETA: Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I decided to send an email out to UF asking about scholarships, and they said they didn't have any left. The lady seemed very sincere about it and apologized and everything...I'm just in shock because I am above both 75ths. Probably going to withdraw soon. I'm going to guess FSU is in the same situation. Haven't gotten a response from them yet, but I'll post in that thread when I hear back. Good luck to everyone.

phireblast

Postby phireblast » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:19 am

They're out of scholarship money?
Well, there's that then.

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:22 am

dobie1 wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:

I feel ya.

+1

ETA: Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I decided to send an email out to UF asking about scholarships, and they said they didn't have any left. The lady seemed very sincere about it and apologized and everything...I'm just in shock because I am above both 75ths. Probably going to withdraw soon. I'm going to guess FSU is in the same situation. Haven't gotten a response from them yet, but I'll post in that thread when I hear back. Good luck to everyone.

I have been in correspondence with FSU regarding scholarship $$$, and they did not indicate they were in the same situation.

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:31 am

dobie1 wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:

I feel ya.

+1

Wow. I will be withdrawing. Good luck everyone.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:01 pm

dobie1 wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:

I feel ya.

+1

Well, I guess it's a plus that the lady was sincere and apologetic about overcharging us $60k(or more) for a legal education that gives us a 50/50 chance at becoming a lawyer.

I still don't understand how a schools as large, and "prestigious" as UF, which also boasts about their "huge" alumni network, has so little money to offer. You would think that with the drop behind FSU in the rankings that they would dig deep into their pockets to put together a strong class and raise the school's long stagnant profile.

If UF was a T20, I'd say, "whatever." But this indifference toward applicants and complacency with their current mediocre ranking and employment numbers is alarming and seemingly indicative of much larger problem.

dobie1

Postby dobie1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:10 pm

Nucky wrote:
dobie1 wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:

I feel ya.

+1

Well, I guess it's a plus that the lady was sincere and apologetic about overcharging us $60k for a legal education that gives us a 50/50 chance at becoming a lawyer.

I still don't understand how a schools as large, and "prestigious" as UF, which also boasts about their "huge" alumni network, has so little money to offer. You would think that with the drop behind FSU in the rankings that they would be digging deep into their pockets to put together a strong class.

If UF was a T20, I'd say, "whatever." But this indifference toward applicants and complacency with their current ranking and employment numbers is alarming and must be indicative of much larger problem.

Totally agree. She did state that after the April 15th deadline, if there was scholarship money left over, applicants like myself would be the first ones they would consider. I may email back asking if she can waive my deposit or something...but I have a feeling that they're "so short on funds" or whatever, that they can't "afford" it...idk. I'm literally just sitting here in shock. I just got an email back from FSU so hopefully I can get a good deal from them (they didn't give any indication I will get a scholarship, but also didn't say they're out of funds). I have a decent offer from Emory, full ride to Stetson, and just had an interview with Georgetown...I have no clue what to even do now. I feel like the victim of a blind-sided break up. Damn.

eta: and please everyone don't withdraw your app because of my situation. For all I know, she could have been lying to me, and they do have scholarship money left...just not for me. I'm an FSU alum, so I'm sure that didn't help my chances. Good luck guys.
Last edited by dobie1 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:12 pm

As this cycled progressed... UF went from being my #1 choice to a place where no part of my soul has any desire in attending ... even if it was $10,000 a year. The job opportunities out of this school suck ass... and this borderline TT school is stingy with scholarships. I am proud to be attending Emory, where I actually feel like I am wanted.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:16 pm

dobie1 wrote:Totally agree. She did state that after the April 15th deadline, if there was scholarship money left over, applicants like myself would be the first ones they would consider. I may email back asking if she can waive my deposit or something...but I have a feeling that they're "so short on funds" or whatever, that they can't "afford" it...idk. I'm literally just sitting here in shock. I just got an email back from FSU so hopefully I can get a good deal from them (they didn't give any indication I will get a scholarship, but also didn't say they're out of funds). I have a decent offer from Emory, full ride to Stetson, and just had an interview with Georgetown...I have no clue what to even do now. I feel like the victim of a blind-sided break up. Damn.

Congrats on Emory and G-Town! In my opinion, regardless of what UF does those are clearly better choices. I don't even know why you're even wasting your time with UF at this point... I'm still waiting on Emory.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:19 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:As this cycled progressed... UF went from being my #1 choice to a place where no part of my soul has any desire in attending ... even if it was $10,000 a year. The job opportunities out of this school suck ass... and this borderline TT school is stingy with scholarships. I am proud to be attending Emory, where I actually feel like I am wanted.

I agree. I know LST is all that matters, but I think there is something to be said for how schools treat you, as I believe it is indicative of the larger culture. UF has not made me feel wanted.

phireblast

Postby phireblast » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:22 pm

I'm sure there are admitted students out there who received fairly large scholarships who will eventually decide against UF and therefore, that money is back in the pool for us. Still, how can you be out of money at this point? I know it's VERY late in the cycle, but I would think to be completely dry of funds at any point before the seat deposit deadlines is indicative of serious mismanagement.

I'm also interested in how a school with such a large and loyal alumni base doesn't have enough money.

toshiroh

Postby toshiroh » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Welp, I will likely not be attending UF, and they have made me feel very wanted, even contacting me frequently. I'll more than likely be wthdrawing soon, though and putting the scholarship money back in the pool.

dobie1

Postby dobie1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:38 pm

Nucky wrote:
dobie1 wrote:Totally agree. She did state that after the April 15th deadline, if there was scholarship money left over, applicants like myself would be the first ones they would consider. I may email back asking if she can waive my deposit or something...but I have a feeling that they're "so short on funds" or whatever, that they can't "afford" it...idk. I'm literally just sitting here in shock. I just got an email back from FSU so hopefully I can get a good deal from them (they didn't give any indication I will get a scholarship, but also didn't say they're out of funds). I have a decent offer from Emory, full ride to Stetson, and just had an interview with Georgetown...I have no clue what to even do now. I feel like the victim of a blind-sided break up. Damn.

Congrats on Emory and G-Town! In my opinion, regardless of what UF does those are clearly better choices. I don't even know why you're even wasting your time with UF at this point... I'm still waiting on Emory.

Ha thanks! Yea I think it's almost a pride thing...like getting picked last on the kickball team when you were expecting to be captain.

I was still considering UF at this point though because I truly thought I would receive a 50-75% scholarship, which would have been tempting to choose over Emory. However, if I get into Georgetown, I'm going. But I'm not sure what the acceptance rate is after an interview, so we will see (I think they interview top candidates for YP, and borderline candidates like myself to see if we have what it takes).

Good luck with Emory!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”