UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Roberrrrto

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby Roberrrrto » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:44 pm

Holy crap! FSU HAS PASSED UF IN THE RANKINGS!!! I can't believe it. Well, I think it is because of the superior job placement. I also think that since the previous post shows UF has the superior selectivity, LSAT, and GPA rankings that UF will jump back up quickly. I hope the career office will respond properly.

FSU #45
UF #49

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/2014-u ... h-changes/

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:49 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:Holy crap! FSU HAS PASSED UF IN THE RANKINGS!!! I can't believe it. Well, I think it is because of the superior job placement. I also think that since the previous post shows UF has the superior selectivity, LSAT, and GPA rankings that UF will jump back up quickly. I hope the career office will respond properly.

FSU #45
UF #49

You have to consider still, the class size of UF is almost twice that of FSU. Even by 10%, UF still places more AND has more of an alumni base. I'm sure with the new Dean next year, the school will see light at the end of tunnel. FSU vs UF just has new fire. Woooo! lol

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:03 pm

rdelaney wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:Holy crap! FSU HAS PASSED UF IN THE RANKINGS!!! I can't believe it. Well, I think it is because of the superior job placement. I also think that since the previous post shows UF has the superior selectivity, LSAT, and GPA rankings that UF will jump back up quickly. I hope the career office will respond properly.

FSU #45
UF #49

You have to consider still, the class size of UF is almost twice that of FSU. Even by 10%, UF still places more AND has more of an alumni base. I'm sure with the new Dean next year, the school will see light at the end of tunnel. FSU vs UF just has new fire. Woooo! lol

I said this in the UF v FSU post, but I think this will be a wake up call for UF and ultimately a good thing for current and future UF Law grads. Gator nation is too proud and well connected to let this linger.

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:20 pm

FSU #45
UF #49

Is this link the only source we have? The rankings aren't released until tomorrow...

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:48 pm

Nucky wrote:
rdelaney wrote:

FSU #45
UF #49

I said this in the UF v FSU post, but I think this will be a wake up call for UF and ultimately a good thing for current and future UF Law grads. Gator nation is too proud and well connected to let this linger.

I agree. This biggest complaint I've heard over the years about UF Law is that the Career office at UF is not very helpful and relies on the school's reputation as the best in the state. FSU, on the other hand, has a highly regarded career office that actively seeks to place students with legal firms. Hopefully, this will be the proverbial foot in the rear that changes what I view as UF's only weakness. I'm sure the new dean will take action benefiting current and future students, myself included,. Go Gators!

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:46 pm

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:34 am

So by now everyone knows that FSU Law passed UF Law in the rankings. Yesterday, I shared links showing that UF Law is ranked #48 in student selectivity (25% of the overall) and FSU is #55.

Today, I found a link (http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... news-.html)showing the US News Peer Reputation Ranking (25% of overall ranking):
UF is #35
FSU is #46.

I think it is safe to say that the reason FSU passed UF in the overall ranking despite being lower ranked in the student selectivity and peer assessment ratings is due to FSU's significantly better Placement Success for the year (20% of the overall rating). Hopefully, this will be the wake up call the CSO at UF desperately needs and they will match their counterparts at FSU's enthusiasm for finding students legal jobs. I think UF and the Gator Nation will make this happen. After all, it will be much easier for UF to improve it's employment than it will be for FSU to maintain its current momentum and improve both student selectivity and peer reputation.

US News Ranking Methodology: --LinkRemoved-- ... s-rankings

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:17 am

Roberrrrto wrote:So by now everyone knows that FSU Law passed UF Law in the rankings. Yesterday, I shared links showing that UF Law is ranked #48 in student selectivity (25% of the overall) and FSU is #55.

Today, I found a link (http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... news-.html)showing the US News Peer Reputation Ranking (25% of overall ranking):
UF is #35
FSU is #46.

I think it is safe to say that the reason FSU passed UF in the overall ranking despite being lower ranked in the student selectivity and peer assessment ratings is due to FSU's significantly better Placement Success for the year (20% of the overall rating). Hopefully, this will be the wake up call the CSO at UF desperately needs and they will match their counterparts at FSU's enthusiasm for finding students legal jobs. I think UF and the Gator Nation will make this happen. After all, it will be much easier for UF to improve it's employment than it will be for FSU to maintain its current momentum and improve both student selectivity and peer reputation.

I think it still doesn't matter.

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:58 am

Kanye West wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:So by now everyone knows that FSU Law passed UF Law in the rankings. Yesterday, I shared links showing that UF Law is ranked #48 in student selectivity (25% of the overall) and FSU is #55.

UF is #35
FSU is #46.

I think it still doesn't matter.

I spoke with a UF alum attorney today and when I told her about the ranking swap she told me "I don't give a $h!7". I think the people most obsessed with the rankings are the applicants like us and the schools themselves. I think if someone has always preferred one or the other, based either on personal experience or the performance of graduates in a firm, a ranking change won't make a difference.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:02 pm

^^^ I do believe that rankings don't matter. But I also believe that he is just being bitter. FSU has had better employment stats for years and deserves to be ranked better.

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:18 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:^^^ I do believe that rankings don't matter. But I also believe that he is just being bitter. FSU has had better employment stats for years and deserves to be ranked better.

Quite possible. I really hope this will cause UF to react in ways that benefit current and future students like fixing the Career Service Office. It seems pretty apparent that this is UF Law's most glaring weakness (along with location but that can't be changed).

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:20 pm

I reserved my spot at Admitted Students Day exactly 1 month from now. Will anyone else be there? It'd be nice to put faces with screen names.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:25 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:I reserved my spot at Admitted Students Day exactly 1 month from now. Will anyone else be there? It'd be nice to put faces with screen names.

I'll be there, look for the guy in my avatar.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:28 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:^^^ I do believe that rankings don't matter. But I also believe that he is just being bitter. FSU has had better employment stats for years and deserves to be ranked better.

Quite possible. I really hope this will cause UF to react in ways that benefit current and future students like fixing the Career Service Office. It seems pretty apparent that this is UF Law's most glaring weakness (along with location but that can't be changed).

I have no doubt in my mind that UF Law will react to them losing the spot as the 'best law school in Florida'. I fully expect them to make their way back up and push for better employment stats.

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:57 pm

Bitter about what? I got accepted to both, and I think of them as two sides of the same coin. The rankings still don't matter beyond using them to help with scholly negotiations (in this case).

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:09 pm

UF Law Dean's thoughts on the new ranking:
http://www.gainesville.com/article/2014 ... ?p=1&tc=pg

raininthedesert

Postby raininthedesert » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:15 pm

Location can have an impact on job placement, Jerry [Dean of UF Law] said. FSU can place graduates in state government jobs more effectively than UF can. “Rural law schools are disadvantaged in employment nationally,” Jerry said.

Need we say more? Miami trumps both FSU and UF for market employment...followed by FSU...and then lowly UF. Why on earth would anyone who wants to work in a major city go to Gainesville or any other rural area for that matter?

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:21 pm

raininthedesert wrote:Location can have an impact on job placement, Jerry [Dean of UF Law] said. FSU can place graduates in state government jobs more effectively than UF can. “Rural law schools are disadvantaged in employment nationally,” Jerry said.

Need we say more? Miami trumps both FSU and UF for market employment...followed by FSU...and then lowly UF. Why on earth would anyone who wants to work in a major city go to Gainesville or any other rural area for that matter?

Lol, such egregious UF trolling.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:03 am

raininthedesert wrote:Location can have an impact on job placement, Jerry [Dean of UF Law] said. FSU can place graduates in state government jobs more effectively than UF can. “Rural law schools are disadvantaged in employment nationally,” Jerry said.

"There are enormous misconceptions in the TLS world about law schools in Florida that make the various threads laughable at best. To suggest that Florida Law or Florida State Law are "better" schools than MIami Law is patently incorrect in almost all facets -- geographic portability, alumni..."

:roll:

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:27 pm

nebula666 wrote:

"There are enormous misconceptions in the TLS world about law schools in Florida that make the various threads laughable at best. To suggest that Florida Law or Florida State Law are "better" schools than MIami Law is patently incorrect in almost all facets -- geographic portability, alumni..."

:roll:

Well, if you aren't counting things like employment scores, quality of jobs, faculty quality, alumni base, cost of attendance/living, student selectivity, average LSAT/GPA, etc. then you may be able to make a case for Miami... Perhaps they have a larger law library? :lol:

phireblast

Postby phireblast » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:23 pm

This is just my own thoughts (as an 0L choosing between UF and FSU), but it seems like UF is sort of regressing while FSU seems to be making upward strides. Anyone who has looked at LST shouldn't be surprised by the USNW ranking swap. I think more than ever (thanks to the legal market and the economy in general) location is key... and it's irrefutable than Tally has more opportunities than Gainesville.

With that being said, still waiting on UFs financial package. Any other December admit waiting for it still?

pat4redick

Postby pat4redick » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:50 pm

I wanted to contribute my two cents as unbiased as I can. Understand that I am a current 2L at UF with a job lined up in my home market.

My understanding of FSU's significant ranking jump: Talking with a faculty member today, I learned that FSU did some considerable manipulating of the numbers as far as amount of money spent per student. I didn't write down all the details, but the gist of it was FSU changed the way in which they financed a few programs making the amount of money spent per student increase by 5 times what it had previously been at without much actual improvements for students. And I don't fault FSU for doing this at all. UF surely manipulates the numbers as well. All schools do.

Employment numbers: This should be the number one consideration for 0Ls. That, and total COA. FSU has consistently had better employment numbers than UF in the past few years. Whether it is due to location in the state capital or a smaller class of students, doesn't really matter. Facts are facts. You have a better chance at getting a job coming out of FSU than you do at UF.

If I were choosing today with equal COA for both, I would choose FSU without hesitation.

Of course, this is just my opinion. In general, don't get caught up in the rankings. UF and FSU are peer schools. Crunch the numbers.
Last edited by pat4redick on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ss2014

Postby Ss2014 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:50 pm

is it worth it to apply to uf today as a 3.07/155?

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Ss2014 wrote:is it worth it to apply to uf today as a 3.07/155?

You should def retake. Don't waste $55, you are below both 25%. Just because your GPA is low, doesn't mean your LSAT should be low.

phireblast

Postby phireblast » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:59 pm

Ss2014 wrote:is it worth it to apply to uf today as a 3.07/155?

Retake. It's late in the cycle and you can definitely do better on the LSAT.
FWIW, I had the same LSAT as you and decided to wait a year and retook. I wake up every day and thank the heavens I made that decision.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”