UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cfcnvm
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:07 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby cfcnvm » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:54 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:My status changed from "Comparative Review" with a date back in November to "Comparative Review 1/30". Has anyone had this happen? I'm curious if it means they are taking a second look now and will/may issue a decision or if it means they already looked and decided to keep me in purgatory.


It happened to me as well. Mine changed from "Comparative Review 1/xx" to "Comparative Review 1/30". I also don't know if it is a good or bad sign but you are not alone there.

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby itachiuchiha » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:58 pm

cfcnvm wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:My status changed from "Comparative Review" with a date back in November to "Comparative Review 1/30". Has anyone had this happen? I'm curious if it means they are taking a second look now and will/may issue a decision or if it means they already looked and decided to keep me in purgatory.


It happened to me as well. Mine changed from "Comparative Review 1/xx" to "Comparative Review 1/30". I also don't know if it is a good or bad sign but you are not alone there.


this happened to me too!!!

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:36 pm

Hey guys, current 3L here and also a member of the Student Recruitment Team. Let me know if you have any questions.

I also am plugging my condo for my landlord. It's a 2/2 that you would be sharing with my sister (but she's super quiet and clean. Half the time I feel like I live alone). I can give you more information if you're interested. I've lived here all three years of law school and I'm really happy with it.

User avatar
foundingfather
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby foundingfather » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:36 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Hey guys, current 3L here and also a member of the Student Recruitment Team. Let me know if you have any questions.

I also am plugging my condo for my landlord. It's a 2/2 that you would be sharing with my sister (but she's super quiet and clean. Half the time I feel like I live alone). I can give you more information if you're interested. I've lived here all three years of law school and I'm really happy with it.


I'm torn between U Miami and UF... How expensive is it living in Gainesville? I would be living at home if I went to Miami, on a substantial scholarship at that. Not sure about scholly info from UF yet.

Also, kind of random... but what do you do for food? Do law students usually cook at their apartments or is there a lot of take-out involved?

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:30 am

foundingfather wrote:
I'm torn between U Miami and UF... How expensive is it living in Gainesville? I would be living at home if I went to Miami, on a substantial scholarship at that. Not sure about scholly info from UF yet.

Also, kind of random... but what do you do for food? Do law students usually cook at their apartments or is there a lot of take-out involved?

Thanks in advance!


Just for some background, I got a 24k/year scholarship from UM and nothing from UF (although I got a need based grant during my 1L Spring that was pretty generous). My parents live about an hour from UM so I would have had to deal with COL in Miami which I didn't want to do. I also didn't want to be stuck at UM with UM sticker tuition if something catastrophic happened and I didn't meet the 3.2 GPA stipulation that they put on my scholarship.

Gainesville is a relatively cheap city to live in. Definitely nowhere near what it would cost to live in the tri-county area of South Florida. If you want to live in a one bedroom place your first year like many people do, I think the cheapest I've seen is about $550 + utilities. The most expensive is probably the Continuum at about $1000. Most of the apartments are close enough to campus or to bus routes that you won't have to fill up your gas tank very often. As for food, it really just depends on the type of person you are. A lot of people cook their own food at home but I know some that take out for almost every meal. There are a lot of grocery options around town plus a farmer's market that you can take advantage of to keep costs down.

User avatar
foundingfather
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby foundingfather » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:16 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
foundingfather wrote:
I'm torn between U Miami and UF... How expensive is it living in Gainesville? I would be living at home if I went to Miami, on a substantial scholarship at that. Not sure about scholly info from UF yet.

Also, kind of random... but what do you do for food? Do law students usually cook at their apartments or is there a lot of take-out involved?

Thanks in advance!


Just for some background, I got a 24k/year scholarship from UM and nothing from UF (although I got a need based grant during my 1L Spring that was pretty generous). My parents live about an hour from UM so I would have had to deal with COL in Miami which I didn't want to do. I also didn't want to be stuck at UM with UM sticker tuition if something catastrophic happened and I didn't meet the 3.2 GPA stipulation that they put on my scholarship.

Gainesville is a relatively cheap city to live in. Definitely nowhere near what it would cost to live in the tri-county area of South Florida. If you want to live in a one bedroom place your first year like many people do, I think the cheapest I've seen is about $550 + utilities. The most expensive is probably the Continuum at about $1000. Most of the apartments are close enough to campus or to bus routes that you won't have to fill up your gas tank very often. As for food, it really just depends on the type of person you are. A lot of people cook their own food at home but I know some that take out for almost every meal. There are a lot of grocery options around town plus a farmer's market that you can take advantage of to keep costs down.


I got a very generous offer from UM with a 3.0 stipulation. My parents live about 10 minutes from the school. But UF is UF. I've contacted UF about possible scholarships... We'll see. Thank you for your help... Would you mind if I PM'd you with any further questions?

crisgcia
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:13 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby crisgcia » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:28 am

Yet another Complete 1/30. Hopefully we'll hear back soon

User avatar
SailorMoon9543
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:29 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
foundingfather wrote:
I'm torn between U Miami and UF... How expensive is it living in Gainesville? I would be living at home if I went to Miami, on a substantial scholarship at that. Not sure about scholly info from UF yet.

Also, kind of random... but what do you do for food? Do law students usually cook at their apartments or is there a lot of take-out involved?

Thanks in advance!


Just for some background, I got a 24k/year scholarship from UM and nothing from UF (although I got a need based grant during my 1L Spring that was pretty generous). My parents live about an hour from UM so I would have had to deal with COL in Miami which I didn't want to do. I also didn't want to be stuck at UM with UM sticker tuition if something catastrophic happened and I didn't meet the 3.2 GPA stipulation that they put on my scholarship.

Gainesville is a relatively cheap city to live in. Definitely nowhere near what it would cost to live in the tri-county area of South Florida. If you want to live in a one bedroom place your first year like many people do, I think the cheapest I've seen is about $550 + utilities. The most expensive is probably the Continuum at about $1000. Most of the apartments are close enough to campus or to bus routes that you won't have to fill up your gas tank very often. As for food, it really just depends on the type of person you are. A lot of people cook their own food at home but I know some that take out for almost every meal. There are a lot of grocery options around town plus a farmer's market that you can take advantage of to keep costs down.


How/why were you given a grant during the Spring? Did you have to apply for an extra one? I'm also wondering, do they give out scholarships to 2Ls or 3Ls based on performance during your first year? Finally, how hard would you say it is to be in the top 1/3 of your class? Thanks!

User avatar
grebe
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby grebe » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:58 am

Final decision reached today... :?

cfcnvm
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:07 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby cfcnvm » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Final Decision Reached, Notice Issued 2/3/2014

Now we play the waiting game...

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby itachiuchiha » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Final Decision Reached, Notice Issued

User avatar
SailorMoon9543
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:00 pm

Mine still has "Comparative Review 1/8". My numbers seem to be similar to those who have "Decision Reached". Any guess to what this means?

User avatar
Kanye West
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby Kanye West » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:10 pm

Good luck to those with the decision on route. I just received a "Prospective Newsletter #2424".

LOVIN' IT

User avatar
SFrost
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby SFrost » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:22 pm

Received acceptance in mail with scholarship info. Money was only about 60% of tuition. Above both their 75%. Do they usually offer more?

User avatar
Kanye West
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby Kanye West » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:23 pm

SFrost wrote:Received acceptance in mail with scholarship info. Money was only about 60% of tuition. Above both their 75%. Do they usually offer more?


In-state? From what I've heard, they don't offer much. Ever.

SterlingArcher
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby SterlingArcher » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:43 pm

Final Decision Reached.

Feeling optimistic. UF sends rejections only in e-mail and, judging by last years thread, waitlist notifications weren't issued until April.

Unless UF drastically changed their admissions system and is going with the bold move of waitlisting people in February, I would say this is a batch of acceptances.

Good luck everyone.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:51 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:
How/why were you given a grant during the Spring? Did you have to apply for an extra one? I'm also wondering, do they give out scholarships to 2Ls or 3Ls based on performance during your first year? Finally, how hard would you say it is to be in the top 1/3 of your class? Thanks!


I have absolutely no idea why they decided to give me the grant, but it showed up in my financial aid package on new year's day 1L Spring, so they must have had leftover money or at least that's what I'm assuming. I have a few friends that received similar grants this spring, so it's not limited to 1Ls.

They have a list of upper class scholarships that they send out at the beginninng of the year that have certain GPA requirements or other arbitrary requirements. For example, one required the person to have gone to high school in Broward county. I want to say there are about 20-25 different ones total? They also have several fellowships that you could potentially qualify for up to 5k.

I think being in the top 1/3 really just depends on whether you can read your professors and figure out what they want. For some people unfortunately, this takes longer than others. Staying in it once you're there isn't hard at all. Sorry that this answer isn't terribly helpful.

phireblast
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:26 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby phireblast » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:50 pm

Are people receiving scholarships with the admission package, or later on in a separate one?

clarkin15
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 10:35 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby clarkin15 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:06 pm

I listed my residence in Jacksonville, FL and UF just issued my final decision today (Feb. 3). How long will it take via snail mail to get my notice? Should I know quicker than the 3-10 days listed on the website b/c I live closer to the school? Thanks! :D

sosa
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby sosa » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:22 pm

comparative review still 11/19. el oh el :?

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:10 pm

sosa wrote:comparative review still 11/19. el oh el :?


you have the same LSAT as me but a lower GPA, however my decision has been reached. I think your decision will come soon as well

User avatar
SailorMoon9543
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:54 pm

sosa wrote:comparative review still 11/19. el oh el :?


Sosa, we have almost identical numbers. Hopefully we'll be in next round...

benaged
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby benaged » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:25 pm

Mine was updated to Decison Made yesterday as well. Do we think that this is a batch of acceptances? It doesnt look like many people if any have gotten a rejection. The waiting game is the worst :cry:

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:37 pm

benaged wrote:Mine was updated to Decison Made yesterday as well. Do we think that this is a batch of acceptances? It doesnt look like many people if any have gotten a rejection. The waiting game is the worst :cry:


god willingly definitely acceptances, rejections come through email and wait lists come later usually

Roberrrrto
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:43 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby Roberrrrto » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Final Decision Reached, Notice Issued 2/3/2014

AHHHHH!!!!!!! Are we in?!?!?!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”