UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
terrapinjetta
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby terrapinjetta » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:24 pm

Acceptance letter arrived yesterday, scholarship info today! With a long wait on my app, I assumed I'd have to wait another 4-8 weeks before I heard back about that.

aklam19
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby aklam19 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:39 pm

1L checking back in - congrats to everyone who got in!

Any questions?

terrapinjetta
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby terrapinjetta » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:23 am

aklam19 wrote:1L checking back in - congrats to everyone who got in!

Any questions?


For someone interested in public interest law, what are the opportunities available for summer jobs, internships, externships, etc.?

What type of practice are you interested in, and do you believe there will be sufficient opportunities available to you upon graduation?

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:06 pm

when do y'all expect high 150s to come off of comparative review?

aklam19
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby aklam19 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:08 pm

terrapinjetta wrote:
aklam19 wrote:1L checking back in - congrats to everyone who got in!

Any questions?


For someone interested in public interest law, what are the opportunities available for summer jobs, internships, externships, etc.?

What type of practice are you interested in, and do you believe there will be sufficient opportunities available to you upon graduation?


As 1L's, we are right in the middle of all of the job stuff right now so it's hard to give exacts. It also depends where you want to be location wise. Obviously Gainesville is a small place, so a lot of people apply to Tampa/Jax/Orlando etc etc. As for Public Interest Law, that's not something I've really gotten into, but the friends of mine that are trying to get into it aren't having the easiest time? Honestly, once you get to this first summer, it depends on the combination of your grades/connections/luck. If you have better grades, you will give yourself more opportunities. More teachers will want to help you since you did well in their class and assuming you've made a connection with them, and then it's really just looking around and finding the spot that works best for you.

Personally, I'm interested in Corporate-y type stuff. I did Finance and Econ in undergrad, and only a handful of people in my section also did business. As far as graduation, it's still a long time away but I am from VA and would welcome an opportunity to go back, and would assume with good grades and hopefully experience from this upcoming summer and summer after 2L year that finding a job won't be the hardest thing in the world.

User avatar
SailorMoon9543
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:26 am

itachiuchiha wrote:when do y'all expect high 150s to come off of comparative review?


+1

User avatar
Kanye West
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby Kanye West » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:01 pm

Sup bros, here for the Comparative Review party. *sets up the DJ booth*

nmm10e
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby nmm10e » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:53 pm

Kanye West wrote:Sup bros, here for the Comparative Review party. *sets up the DJ booth*


would you mind sharing your #'s? :D

aklam19
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby aklam19 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:17 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:when do y'all expect high 150s to come off of comparative review?


+1



High 150's didn't come off till March/April last year.

User avatar
SailorMoon9543
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:07 pm

Many seat deposits at other institutions are due on April 1st, so I hope that's not how it will be this year...

User avatar
Kanye West
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby Kanye West » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:56 pm

nmm10e wrote:
Kanye West wrote:Sup bros, here for the Comparative Review party. *sets up the DJ booth*


would you mind sharing your #'s? :D


16 8) / 2. :(

nmm10e
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby nmm10e » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Kanye West wrote:
nmm10e wrote:
Kanye West wrote:Sup bros, here for the Comparative Review party. *sets up the DJ booth*


would you mind sharing your #'s? :D


16 8) / 2. :(


Thanks! I'm sure you'll be okay! good luck!

cfcnvm
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:07 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby cfcnvm » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:59 pm

aklam19 wrote:
SailorMoon9543 wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:when do y'all expect high 150s to come off of comparative review?


+1



High 150's didn't come off till March/April last year.



Damn even those that had very high GPAs? For example I have a 159 and a 3.9 do you think I would also have to wait till then?

SterlingArcher
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby SterlingArcher » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Any movement today from anybody? UF usually changes statuses on Monday.

161 3.7 Out of State

Been comparative review the last couple months and getting anxious.
Last edited by SterlingArcher on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby nebula666 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:54 pm

SterlingArcher wrote:Any movement today from anybody? UF usually changes statuses on Monday.

161 3.7

Been comparative review the last couple months and getting anxious.


If you aren't a serial killer, you should be in. Above both medians.

aklam19
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby aklam19 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:45 am

SailorMoon9543 wrote:Many seat deposits at other institutions are due on April 1st, so I hope that's not how it will be this year...


not sure how many people it was an issue for last year besides me but the different deposit dates drove me crazy. remember though, that doesn't mean waitlist. you can deposit somewhere and still be on the wait list elsewhere.

aklam19
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby aklam19 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:48 am

cfcnvm wrote:
aklam19 wrote:
SailorMoon9543 wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:when do y'all expect high 150s to come off of comparative review?


+1



High 150's didn't come off till March/April last year.



Damn even those that had very high GPAs? For example I have a 159 and a 3.9 do you think I would also have to wait till then?



I guess it depends how early you applied and such. the high GPA helps obviously. the process is not really something concrete though.

chocolatesugar
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:03 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby chocolatesugar » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:12 am

163 and 3.08

Comparative Review as well.

User avatar
Kanye West
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby Kanye West » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:11 am

Curious if anyone applied to UF/FSU, and also some reaches, but with a general feeling of leaning toward UF/FSU. Then, the reaches accept you (sometimes with $$$) and you basically end up losing interest in UF/FSU (not to mention that academic essay). I'm usually not impatient, but the long hauls without a single peep and other schools chugging along with some sort of notice is a bummer.

I'm waiting for my girl outside in the car to take her to the prom, and she's taking too long putting on make-up and such. Might have to ditch her and pickup this honey down the block. 8)

pat4redick
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby pat4redick » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:08 am

2L here willing to answer questions. Familiar with the area for housing for those that need guidance. And for those that mentioned it, stay far away from the Continuum.

User avatar
SailorMoon9543
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:32 am

pat4redick wrote:2L here willing to answer questions. Familiar with the area for housing for those that need guidance. And for those that mentioned it, stay far away from the Continuum.


How hard would you say it is to stay in the top 1/2 and top 1/3 of your class? Also, why the comment on Continuum?

pat4redick
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby pat4redick » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:04 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:How hard would you say it is to stay in the top 1/2 and top 1/3 of your class?


I don't know how well I can really speak to this because most of my experience will be anecdotal. Generally, I noticed the people at the top of the class at the end of the first semester were still at the top of the class at the end of the second semester. A noticed a little more leap-frogging, so to speak, from people who jumped into the top 1/3 after the second semester. Top 1/2 I really don't know how hard it is to stay in it, but numbers say to expect to be around the median of the class.

SailorMoon9543 wrote:Also, why the comment on Continuum?


A lot of students had real problems with management at the end of my 1L year. They made the claim (not sure that they still do) that they would let you out of your lease early if you have a summer internship out of town. Long story short, they refused to let students out of their lease. As of November of last year, my friends that got screwed still haven't been refunded, and it's not likely they ever will be.

Plus, for the price, you can find much better and bigger accommodations.

Hope that helps.

User avatar
SailorMoon9543
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:47 pm

pat4redick wrote:
SailorMoon9543 wrote:How hard would you say it is to stay in the top 1/2 and top 1/3 of your class?


I don't know how well I can really speak to this because most of my experience will be anecdotal. Generally, I noticed the people at the top of the class at the end of the first semester were still at the top of the class at the end of the second semester. A noticed a little more leap-frogging, so to speak, from people who jumped into the top 1/3 after the second semester. Top 1/2 I really don't know how hard it is to stay in it, but numbers say to expect to be around the median of the class.

SailorMoon9543 wrote:Also, why the comment on Continuum?


A lot of students had real problems with management at the end of my 1L year. They made the claim (not sure that they still do) that they would let you out of your lease early if you have a summer internship out of town. Long story short, they refused to let students out of their lease. As of November of last year, my friends that got screwed still haven't been refunded, and it's not likely they ever will be.

Plus, for the price, you can find much better and bigger accommodations.

Hope that helps.


Definitely helps. Thanks :)

Roberrrrto
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:43 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby Roberrrrto » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:00 pm

My status changed from "Comparative Review" with a date back in November to "Comparative Review 1/30". Has anyone had this happen? I'm curious if it means they are taking a second look now and will/may issue a decision or if it means they already looked and decided to keep me in purgatory.

User avatar
SailorMoon9543
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:00 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:My status changed from "Comparative Review" with a date back in November to "Comparative Review 1/30". Has anyone had this happen? I'm curious if it means they are taking a second look now and will/may issue a decision or if it means they already looked and decided to keep me in purgatory.


Mine still has the same date (1/8). I had a similar incident with my application at W&M though. Your guess is as good as mine!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”