UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cricketlove00

Silver

Re: UF C/O 2017 (2013-2014 APPLICANTS)

Post by cricketlove00 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:44 pm

thevuch wrote:i emailed are you sureee???

reply:

There is a very small possibility that a student may withdraw from UF who had a scholarship. This would make funding available but the Financial Aid Committee would then review the students who did not receive awards. As you can imagine, with our limited budget, there are many students to whom we were unable to offer scholarships. Also, these are merit awards, so it is a holistic review process. I would not be able to guarantee you an award, or that someone would withdraw before your May 15 deadline. I’m sorry.

these are merit awards? duh no shit.

she really thinks im stupid
Withdrew with around $30,000 so I don't know why she's saying there is a small possibility.

rdelaney

Bronze

Post by rdelaney » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:52 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
thevuch wrote:i emailed are you sureee???

reply:

There is a very small possibility that a student may withdraw from UF who had a scholarship. This would make funding available but the Financial Aid Committee would then review the students who did not receive awards. As you can imagine, with our limited budget, there are many students to whom we were unable to offer scholarships. Also, these are merit awards, so it is a holistic review process. I would not be able to guarantee you an award, or that someone would withdraw before your May 15 deadline. I’m sorry.

these are merit awards? duh no shit.

she really thinks im stupid

Withdrew with around $30,000 so I don't know why she's saying there is a small possibility.
^^ This. A few others withdrew with $$$ too. So crazy.

altoline115

New

Post by altoline115 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:05 pm

I withdrew with $$$ as well. Been confused by the pretension of the UF Admissions Team and the application process there.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:10 pm

altoline115 wrote:I withdrew with $$$ as well. Been confused by the pretension of the UF Admissions Team and the application process there.
Yep.

acc123

New

Post by acc123 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:10 pm

People who are complaining about UF saying they don't have any money after people withdraw:

You may not be considering the fact that UF may have overextended scholarship offers knowing that not everyone would accept, and more people than they anticipated accepted and even though people withdraw their apps they are still over budget and not giving out more until they go back under budget.

With that said, I have about $45,000 in scholarships tied up and will likely be withdrawing shortly, unfortunately (I love UF).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Acc you alluded to problems UF was having in another thread, could you speak to what you mean?

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:50 pm

acc123 wrote:People who are complaining about UF saying they don't have any money after people withdraw:

You may not be considering the fact that UF may have overextended scholarship offers knowing that not everyone would accept, and more people than they anticipated accepted and even though people withdraw their apps they are still over budget and not giving out more until they go back under budget.

With that said, I have about $45,000 in scholarships tied up and will likely be withdrawing shortly, unfortunately (I love UF).
Right -- but why would they say they expect no one to withdraw with a scholarship if they've overextended?

rdelaney

Bronze

Post by rdelaney » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:52 pm

acc123 wrote:People who are complaining about UF saying they don't have any money after people withdraw:

That's a good amount. My offer was fair, so I can't complain. It would be nice if they would just lower tuition so they wouldn't have to offer awards to supplement "merit" applicants. It has close to doubled in the past five years. :?

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:59 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:

Right -- but why would they say they expect no one to withdraw with a scholarship if they've overextended?
Perhaps they're referring to people who have already deposited.

I think ACC's theory is likely correct. Vuch's numbers are solid. I don't see why they wouldn't redistribute funds to strong applicants like him if they had them available. Lots of deadlines and waitlist movement coming up. I'm sure things will change.

But who knows, this is all just speculation, after all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

acc123

New

Post by acc123 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:08 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:

Because their stips say that when you accept the scholarship you need to withdraw from all other schools besides waitlists

phireblast

New

Post by phireblast » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:08 pm

I also withdrew and put back 30k back in the pot.

GBDiaz

New

Post by GBDiaz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:10 pm

First post!

Wait listed as of 4/17 but I still haven't received anything in the mail.

I've read several things online on what to do when wait listed... But the people suggesting these things get wait listed way earlier in the process.

Should I sit and wait till maybe next month to send out another LOR or something?

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:03 pm

GBDiaz wrote:First post!

Wait listed as of 4/17 but I still haven't received anything in the mail.

I've read several things online on what to do when wait listed... But the people suggesting these things get wait listed way earlier in the process.

Should I sit and wait till maybe next month to send out another LOR or something?
I believe the CW is to send a LOCI every month to 6 weeks and update the office with any additional relevant information(new job, promotion, award, etc.).

Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

EDIT: Also, if UF is your first choice and/or you would certainly matriculate if you were to be accepted, you should state that in the first paragraph of your LOCI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Roberrrrto

Bronze

Post by Roberrrrto » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:37 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:General question: Do you think $680 is "too much" to pay per month for a one bedroom? Really close to law school (can easily walk). Trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $$ over three years.
It depends on what your budget/ needs are. I'm assuming you are talking about one of the 4 complexes on 34th St. Pretty much Camelot (aka el dumpo... apartmentratings.com says they have rats) and Hawaiian Village are the cheaper places and Cazabella and Point West are nicer (though certainly not luxury).

Based on the price, you are looking at Point West. I chose Cazabella because of the 4 complexes on 34th, it is the only one with W/D in unit (I HATE LAUNDROMATS) and is dog friendly (Point West is cat only). I think it is worth the extra $$$ considering the importance of a good night sleep (higher rents will keep most undergrads out) during the next 3 years. Point West is pretty nice though. Good luck!

Roberrrrto

Bronze

Post by Roberrrrto » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:
SailorMoon9543 wrote:General question: Do you think $680 is "too much" to pay per month for a one bedroom? Really close to law school (can easily walk). Trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $$ over three years.
It depends on what your budget/ needs are. I'm assuming you are talking about one of the 4 complexes on 34th St. Pretty much Camelot (aka el dumpo... apartmentratings.com says they have rats) and Hawaiian Village are the cheaper places and Cazabella and Point West are nicer (though certainly not luxury).

Based on the price, you are looking at Point West. I chose Cazabella because of the 4 complexes on 34th, it is the only one with W/D in unit (I HATE LAUNDROMATS) and is dog friendly (Point West is cat only). I think it is worth the extra $$$ considering the importance of a good night sleep (higher rents will keep most undergrads out) during the next 3 years. Point West is pretty nice though. Good luck!

I should also point out that if someone is moving to Gainesville with friends there are a couple of quiet places 2 miles North of UF that offer a good value.

One I like in particular is Brookwood Terrace Apartments. They have all townhouses (so no upstairs neighbor keeping you up at night) and their prices range from $650-$999 from 1-4 bedroom townhouses. I personally like the 3 bedroom because it has a covered carport, a private screened in patio to study on, W/D hookups (see above hatred of laundromats) and my wife loves the enormous walk-in closet.

It was too much space for me (since it is just my wife and I) but I know there are lots of people that may be attending with friends/ roommates it would work out well for. Gainesville certainly has a lot of options for apartments.

I'm definitely attending UF Law and moved to Gville about 3 weeks ago so if anyone has any questions about what I've seen in my limited time here let me know or PM me.

lynzl84

New

Post by lynzl84 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:10 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:

I've never lived in Camelot, but I have friends who live there, and I've never heard any complaints. I live at Hawaiian Village, and I negotiated to have W/D hookups installed in the apartment, which is a HUGE plus. That, plus the fact they allow my 65lb lab and had (have?) the lowest cost apartments, were the deciding factors for me.

Camelot, Cazabella & Village 34 are owned by the same company. Point West is owned by the same people/company that own Picadilly (further south on 34th, heard some not so good things about that Picadilly, but few complaints at Point West). Hawaiian Village is owned by a company based out of Jacksonville, I believe.

All, except Point West, allow dogs.

Point West and Camelot have nice/pretty pools (I've never seen the one at Cazabella); Hawaiian Village's pool does the trick, but it's nothing fancy.

All have community laundry, except Cazabella, which did a recent remodel and put W/D in all units. At Hawaiian Village, it just depends on the individual unit.

Spending $680/month was more than I wanted to spend, and I think it's more than financial aid budgets for your housing costs, as well. Gainesville is the cheapest place I've ever lived, and because I'm a student - and can use that as my excuse - I decided to take full advantage. I think the saying is "live like a student now, or live like a student later."

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:18 pm

lynzl84 wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:

I've never lived in Camelot, but I have friends who live there, and I've never heard any complaints. I live at Hawaiian Village, and I negotiated to have W/D hookups installed in the apartment, which is a HUGE plus. That, plus the fact they allow my 65lb lab and had (have?) the lowest cost apartments, were the deciding factors for me.

Camelot, Cazabella & Village 34 are owned by the same company. Point West is owned by the same people/company that own Picadilly (further south on 34th, heard some not so good things about that Picadilly, but few complaints at Point West). Hawaiian Village is owned by a company based out of Jacksonville, I believe.

All, except Point West, allow dogs.

Point West and Camelot have nice/pretty pools (I've never seen the one at Cazabella); Hawaiian Village's pool does the trick, but it's nothing fancy.

All have community laundry, except Cazabella, which did a recent remodel and put W/D in all units. At Hawaiian Village, it just depends on the individual unit.

Spending $680/month was more than I wanted to spend, and I think it's more than financial aid budgets for your housing costs, as well. Gainesville is the cheapest place I've ever lived, and because I'm a student - and can use that as my excuse - I decided to take full advantage. I think the saying is "live like a student now, or live like a student later."
Just to clarify the quote, because it's a good one: "If you live like a professional while you're a student, you'll live like a student when you're a professional."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lynzl84

New

Post by lynzl84 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:11 pm

Nucky wrote:
Just to clarify the quote, because it's a good one: "If you live like a professional while you're a student, you'll live like a student when you're a professional."
That's the one. :)

Earth Dragon

New

Post by Earth Dragon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Long-time lurker here who JUST created an account. Unless I get accepted off the WL from one of my top choices, I will very likely be attending UF. Please PM me if you're attending. I'd really like to get to know some of the new admits, and I would love to start planning on getting a place with at least one roommate in Gainesville.

lynzl84

New

Post by lynzl84 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Earth Dragon wrote:Long-time lurker here who JUST created an account. Unless I get accepted off the WL from one of my top choices, I will very likely be attending UF. Please PM me if you're attending. I'd really like to get to know some of the new admits, and I would love to start planning on getting a place with at least one roommate in Gainesville.
There are a few people on the facebook page who are looking for roommates: https://www.facebook.com/groups/718434271532019/

SailorMoon9543

Bronze

Post by SailorMoon9543 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:38 am

Roberrrrto wrote:

Thanks! This was super helpful. I'm trying to decide bw Cazabella and Point West. Can anyone tell me how much just Internet runs per month?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lynzl84

New

Post by lynzl84 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:26 am

SailorMoon9543 wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:

Thanks! This was super helpful. I'm trying to decide bw Cazabella and Point West. Can anyone tell me how much just Internet runs per month?
I pay $52.99/month for "Preferred" but I bought my modem (~$40) so I don't have to pay monthly rent (~$6). It looks like prices with Cox are currently $48.99-99.99 (after promo). I don't know about DSL or Uverse (in the very few places you can get it).

rdelaney

Bronze

Post by rdelaney » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:53 am

I have Uverse. It's $51 or $56 for "12 Mbps." Don't get ATT DSL, they are trying to get rid of it and won't give you any good deals and a lot of stipulations (150GB a month, which could be surprisingly easy to go though).

Uverse offers a deal for a year where it is like $36 for the top tier, but you have to pay like activation charges and a one time equipment few of $100.

Roberrrrto

Bronze

Post by Roberrrrto » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:52 am

SailorMoon9543 wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:

Internet is included in the rent (so is water) at Cazabella.

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:39 am

does anyone know anything about trying to get instate after the first year?

it looks pretty difficult, as in youve got to have some reason aside from going to law school there to get it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”